Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:29   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
With a Palio 1.2? With that much weight and some ~65 odd BHP.!!! You sure or is it what you have mentioned below?

Quote:
...kid holding a thali, rotating it, screaming zoo-zoooo and day-dreaming of a race track ;-) ...
Good one there KS.
That had me go
OT - I at times imagine that on my zen with the AC on
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:58   #32
BHPian

My mind is in turmoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
+1 to this.
Dont plonk in your hard earned $$$$ in something you are not entirely happy with (since you are buying new).
Some 'compromises' are okay if you look at used cars, but a new car should tick 'all the boxes' of your expecations, for something coming at like 12-13 Lacs.
Its this very aspect you mentioned thats got my mind in real turmoil. If each individual aspect is taken objectively I believe the Cruze and the Laura will trounce the GTX but when the whole of the sum is taken the GTX is ahead. Subjectively the GTX trounces the cars costing 3 times as much and thats what has put me into a dilemma. I will be taking a few more test drives before I pay up the balance amount in January 1st week.
To top it off my wife is dead against giving off the GTX but children want the new Cruze and the dog is at home in the Junkindica. What a predicament and that too just to part with a lifeless mechanical object or is it really life less.

Thanks MaserQ for the compliment about the supersmooth negotiation of the winding roads. 50% of the accolades go to the GTX as it makes every driver at least that much percentage better. The Laura 1.8TSi was on my mind but seeing the horror stories about SKODA management I decided to take it off my list. There was a recent post about Marikar Cochin and that sealed my decision against Skoda even though I have till January to change my mind.

Looks like I will construct one more garage for the GTX in the end but one Mr Gautham from Bangalore has already expressed his desire to purchase the car in the last week of November.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 23rd October 2009 at 18:11.
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:37   #33
BHPian

Maybe you can wait for the soon to be launched Linea 1.6 (in jan 2010).

Of course it may only get a 120bhp engine (or still worse a 105bhp), but still worth a shot I guess.
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With a Palio 1.2? With that much weight and some ~65 odd BHP.!!!
Shahnawaz, Palio 1.2 has 72 BHP!
Though it is not as powerful as 1.6, it is surely fun to drive!
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:47   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Shahnawaz, Palio 1.2 has 72 BHP!
Though it is not as powerful as 1.6, it is surely fun to drive!
Okay, my bad! on the BHP part of the 1.2. It's 72 and not 65.

I will not comment on the fun to drive part of the 1.2, as each person may have a different parameter for that.

What I meant was that the 1.2 (and the 1.1) Palio DON'T come even REMOTELY close to the 1.6 GTX/S10 from the 'driver & car becoming one feeling' perspective that is being talked about. To say that one 'felt' the same FTD factor as one would in a GTX is stretching it a bit toooooooo faaarrrr (in a 1.2)

It's not just about the additional power in the 1.6 but how everything 'magically' comes together in perfect harmony to create a masterpiece symphony in the 1.6 that the 1.2's can only dream of.

If someone says that the GTX/S10 & the Palio 1.2 have the same FTD factor and magical qualities then....

PS: I have a friend that drives a 1.2 and he acknowledges the same. He has driven my S10 quite a bit and he finds the Palio 1.2 SIMPLY BORING as compared to the GTX or S10.!!!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd October 2009 at 23:02.
Old 23rd October 2009, 23:53   #36
BHPian

Sidindica says linea 1.6 MJD in Jan 2010 and 1.4 T-Jet in Feb 2010. Probably you should check them out before taking the final decision.
Old 24th October 2009, 01:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, my bad! on the BHP part of the 1.2. It's 72 and not 65.

I will not comment on the fun to drive part of the 1.2, as each person may have a different parameter for that.

What I meant was that the 1.2 (and the 1.1) Palio DON'T come even REMOTELY close to the 1.6 GTX/S10 from the 'driver & car becoming one feeling' perspective that is being talked about. To say that one 'felt' the same FTD factor as one would in a GTX is stretching it a bit toooooooo faaarrrr (in a 1.2)

It's not just about the additional power in the 1.6 but how everything 'magically' comes together in perfect harmony to create a masterpiece symphony in the 1.6 that the 1.2's can only dream of.

If someone says that the GTX/S10 & the Palio 1.2 have the same FTD factor and magical qualities then....

PS: I have a friend that drives a 1.2 and he acknowledges the same. He has driven my S10 quite a bit and he finds the Palio 1.2 SIMPLY BORING as compared to the GTX or S10.!!!

I have both and in their own way both are really fun to drive. Unless I'm on a highway I never felt the 1.2 underpowered

Of course this is a vanilla 1.6 and not the GTX or S10
Old 7th July 2010, 15:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
I have both and in their own way both are really fun to drive. Unless I'm on a highway I never felt the 1.2 underpowered

Of course this is a vanilla 1.6 and not the GTX or S10
Try Filling IOC Extra Premium and see the difference on the vanilla 1.6 !!

For some reason, its only the Palio among all my cars where I see this considerable change in pickup ....does anyone know why ?
Old 7th July 2010, 15:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I honestly don't think that the 1.2 (and the 1.1) Palio come even REMOTELY close to the 1.6 GTX/S 10 from the 'driver & car becoming one feeling' perspective that Doc is talking about.

To say that one 'felt' the same FTD factor as one would in a GTX is stretching it a bit toooooooo faaarrrr.
Complete performance chart for Palio 1.2 and 1.6 - Palio 1.2 ELX v/s Palio 1.6 GTX

Shan2nu
Old 7th July 2010, 16:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

The chart gives the GTX's max. power as 96.63bhp. Weren't the 1.6 Palios having max. power of 100bhp ?
Old 7th July 2010, 17:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

^ +1 -> why is that? is that the BHP vs PS thingy?

What is that Engine Tuneup thingy at every 7500kms?
Old 7th July 2010, 18:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Converting to PS gives 97.97ps. Fiat website has it as 100ps for Palio1.6

Looks like an error with the compilation - can see other minor errors in the chart.

Most Viewed