Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 12:24   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post
I didn't really find any problems with tyre noise, especially after the 3M undercoat. They may be making a racket outside but not audible inside. Re grip, I haven't taken it past 100 yet so can't really comment. Plus have already gone beyond my 8 lakh budget!!
As mentioned on another thread, tyres are very noisy over 80 kmph, but only on concrete roads, not a problem on tarmac though. So given my budgetary constraints will be sticking with the stock ones for now...

Other comments
- Some discomfort in the form of lower back pain triggered by driving in extremely thick stop and go traffic. Possible reasons could be the heavy action pedal or my seating position. Will explore and get back on this
- Clutch vibration problem is limited to when the clutch is partially depressed. Not evident when the clutch is in either fully pressed or not at all pressed mode... Is this a 'feature' or a 'defect' I wonder.
- USB drive/ CD MP3 songs, can easily display the file/ folder names and artist/ album details from the ID2/ ID3 tag (where present) following the instructions in the manual... Sound on the default speakers is decent, not thinking of changing the speakers
- Not entirely happy with the low speed clutch-gear-throttle setup... A little more low-end torque and/ or shorter gearing on 2nd-3rd gear would have been better for bumper-to-bumper city traffic
Old 10th January 2010, 00:15   #47
BHPian

Quote:

Other comments
- Some discomfort in the form of lower back pain triggered by driving in extremely thick stop and go traffic. Possible reasons could be the heavy action pedal or my seating position. Will explore and get back on this

I have also faced the problem of lower back pain in my SX4.

It could be because of the soft seats and hardly any lumber support.

To tackle this problem I've bought myself an Amron backrest. Link attached

AMRON
Old 11th January 2010, 12:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
I have also faced the problem of lower back pain in my SX4.

It could be because of the soft seats and hardly any lumber support.

To tackle this problem I've bought myself an Amron backrest. Link attached

AMRON
Yes I guess so! Have tried various bits of advice in the lower back pain thread but none of them seem to work. Though the problem is limited to morning b2b traffic, don't experience any discomfort on longer drives during the weekend. I have a lower back support I use in the WagonR but wanted to avoid if possible as it reduces the under thigh support.

Also like always, checked air pressure, was 40-42 in all tyres, reduced to recommended 30 and the ride is much better, though the tyre noise has marginally gone up. What exactly is the problem with MSS that causes them to over-inflate on such a consistent basis? I had told the SA this problem during delivery and he insisted that the tyre pressure was correct, silly of me to believe him!
Old 11th January 2010, 18:19   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I guess so! Have tried various bits of advice in the lower back pain thread but none of them seem to work. Though the problem is limited to morning b2b traffic, don't experience any discomfort on longer drives during the weekend. I have a lower back support I use in the WagonR but wanted to avoid if possible as it reduces the under thigh support.

Also like always, checked air pressure, was 40-42 in all tyres, reduced to recommended 30 and the ride is much better, though the tyre noise has marginally gone up. What exactly is the problem with MSS that causes them to over-inflate on such a consistent basis? I had told the SA this problem during delivery and he insisted that the tyre pressure was correct, silly of me to believe him!

Over inflation could be caused due to a faulty air pressure gauge,

Also by any chance did you have the air pressure checked while the tyres were hot, as this would give incorrect figures.
Old 12th January 2010, 11:10   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Over inflation could be caused due to a faulty air pressure gauge,

Also by any chance did you have the air pressure checked while the tyres were hot, as this would give incorrect figures.
I had first filled petrol (full tank = Rs 2,000+ ) after waiting for another car to do the same, paid using a CC and then gone to fill air, so should be enough time for the tyres to cool down. Also the spare in the boot was at the 40-42 pressure as well so...

Quote:
Have tried various bits of advice in the lower back pain thread but none of them seem to work. Though the problem is limited to morning b2b traffic, don't experience any discomfort on longer drives during the weekend. I have a lower back support I use in the WagonR but wanted to avoid if possible as it reduces the under thigh support.
I think I have this sorted out now. After setting the seat as up and back as possible and slightly sloped backwards, it seems the problem is caused because in b2b traffic I lean forward a bit (which a back doc will tell you is VERY bad). Tried today leaning back and keeping legs rested on the thigh support and no back pain!
Old 12th January 2010, 20:53   #51
BHPian

Walker,

hey how are you doing ?

i am a patient of lower back pain for many years now. I suggest you get rid of this issue and keep a conscious watch though.

If aggravated, its a nuisance in everyday's life.

Keep posting.
Old 12th January 2010, 21:38   #52
BHPian

Quote:
I had first filled petrol (full tank = Rs 2,000+ ) after waiting for another car to do the same, paid using a CC and then gone to fill air, so should be enough time for the tyres to cool down. Also the spare in the boot was at the 40-42 pressure as well so...

The car should be stationary for atleast an hour or 2 preferably, for the tires to cool down.

Its best to check air pressure early in the morning.
Old 12th January 2010, 23:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
After setting the seat as up and back as possible and slightly sloped backwards, it seems the problem is caused because in b2b traffic I lean forward a bit (which a back doc will tell you is VERY bad). Tried today leaning back and keeping legs rested on the thigh support and no back pain!
I think you've got the combination spot on - improved or any thigh support should work well for the lower back. Can you take a photo from the passenger-side window and post for reference - as per your convienience ofcourse.
Old 13th January 2010, 10:55   #54
BHPian

Have got the seat raised up, and positioned midway, not as far back as possible. Its very convenient. The whole idea is that you should sit/fit snugly in the seat, by yourself, and with respect to the steering wheel.
Old 13th January 2010, 17:01   #55
BHPian

Hey! nice pics of the car. To be honest the SX4 is on my list as well. Do they still offer the sport kit or has it been scrapped?
Old 13th January 2010, 18:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post
Have got the seat raised up, and positioned midway, not as far back as possible. Its very convenient. The whole idea is that you should sit/fit snugly in the seat, by yourself, and with respect to the steering wheel.
Apart from the back problem thread, other gyan I have is
- Push seat back far enough that your leg is not fully extended when pushing brake all the way down else will not be able to exert full brake force. Say 145 degree angle
- With arms stretched, wrists should rest on the steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hey! nice pics of the car. To be honest the SX4 is on my list as well. Do they still offer the sport kit or has it been scrapped?
Yes it is, in fact most of the TD cars have the sports kit on. But it kills the GC, which is one of the USPs!
Old 4th February 2010, 11:41   #57
BHPian

1000 kms update

Back from a loong break!

Rear seat cover problem (misaligned upper and lower black sections) solved at no additional cost, though some effort.

Must give credit to Autoform and Carax (accessories shop at Baner Pune) for dealing with the problem in a fairly professional way. Got replacements for the back and bottom section and is looking very good now. The material is quite good have not had any issues with sweating/ heating up that peope attribute to PU covers.

First servicing done
- Paid approx Rs 700 for oil filter assy and oil change
- Rear boot 'setting' fixed, boot closes properly with minimal force now
- Apart from the above it was a fairly underwhelming experience, plastic cover that covers the boot lid latch misplaced (then found and fixed), car not cleaned properly (wet floormats, bumper dirty), dealer sticker even though specifically requested not to put and one new problem (smell on using a/c) unresolved. Have complained, got a call to come back and fix it, will update once resolved.

Back problem also helped by slight change in driving behaviour. Used to pick up leg to apply and hold clutch, courtsey WagonR experience (where you really need to put a brick ala truck drivers to operate the very high pedals). Now learning to keep heel on the floor and apply clutch, has helped.

Only niggles left
- 2nd/ 3rd gear tall ratios make it a little difficult to overtake quickly and drive in stop and start traffic
- Smell when a/c operated (doesn't come if only blower on)
- Vibration in clutch pedal, though during service SA let me check this with another older version SX4 and the same is experienced there as well, so its a 'feature' then, not 'bug'
- Getting ribbed by colleagues re the terrible ad tag line

Hmm all this sounds a bit negative but let me assure that in this budget (8.5 lakhs OTR Pune) this is one of the best petrol sedans available! Driving experience, comfort levels are quite good. Have been washing and waxing and the looks do attract attention as well...
Old 4th February 2010, 12:15   #58
BHPian

A few updates, corrections to the above, tried editing but the network connection is non-cooperative...

- Paid approx Rs 1,700 for oil filter assy and oil change (not Rs 700 as mentioned above)
- Main change post-servicing is that the engine sound has improved considerably, sounds very smooth now.
- Have noticed that in 4th gear, the power surge is at 1,500 rpm, unlike the 2,000 odd rpm in 2nd and 3rd. Is this a feature of VVT?
Old 8th February 2010, 11:46   #59
BHPian

Full Load Test

Got a chance to do a full load test and quite satisfied with the results
- 6 adults (including me) + baggage that nearly filled up the entire boot from a station pick up (got first scrape at the bottom of front bumper from a ridiculously positioned cement block )
- Rear suspension compressed quite a bit but still well below wheel arch. Though the ride was a bit bumpier than usual was still OK, no belly scrapes anywhere including the crazy bump + dip at entrance to home.
- 4 seating at the back was tight but OK for a half hour ride home. Boot just swallowed up everything with space to spare!
- Performance was good once you got into the 2,000+ rpm range, zipped up flyovers with the acc on full blast, no problems

All in all, folks impressed, he he
Old 11th February 2010, 13:32   #60
BANNED

what is average you get on your SX4?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks