Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 16:46   #1
BHPian

My new SX4 ZXi MT : Initial Report

Got the vehicle delivered today!! (ZXi MT Silver)

A few additional points that I could note in the first 40 kms of driving
- The audio mounted controls make it a bit difficult to get at the horn. The VXi one is much easier to operate
- Getting a fair bit of vibration from the clutch pedal, not sure it that is unusual or not
- When you turn the fan knob to 'Off' it automatically switches from 'recirculate' to 'fresh air' mode, a little irritating
- Most aspects of the auto locking and alarm features can be configured, including being able to set a PIN code.. Nice!
- Went up a long slope in 3rd gear with pedal pushed down, a bit lazy till it hit 2,200 rpm or so and then really pulled away strongly!
- The beige carpet stains easily and the dealer guys have already muddied it a bit before putting the floor mats
- Haven't found manoeuvring to be very difficult, reversing a little bit difficult but still not convinced about reversing sensors
- Must dos: Seat covers, carpet cleaning, steering cover
Old 19th December 2009, 18:23   #2
BHPian

Congratulations on your new acquisition, and best wishes for an excellent ride. How much did you finally pay for it?
Old 19th December 2009, 19:21   #3
BHPian

@mrwalker: Apologies if you've already posted the details earlier, but could you share the final price you paid and what (if any) freebies and discounts you got?
Old 19th December 2009, 23:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post
Congratulations on your new acquisition, and best wishes for an excellent ride. How much did you finally pay for it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
@mrwalker: Apologies if you've already posted the details earlier, but could you share the final price you paid and what (if any) freebies and discounts you got?
Thanks! Details on this post

Also a few more points
- The boot lid seems to take an unusual amount of force to shut, is that common?
- Some trouble fixing son's booster seat at the back as, apart from the seatbelt, one strap also needs to be slid below, back and over the top of the rear seat. This is not possible as the seats don't fold and very little gap between the seat back and the tray. This causes the seat to slowly tip forward and create slack in the seatbelt.. Looks like will have to get a different one.
- The owner's manual has a few surprising points
a. Not supposed to plug electrical accessories into the lighter socket
b. Turn indicator can also be held down and released as a lane change indicator
c. Recommends that absolutely nothing be placed on the tray, then why have it at all?

Last edited by mrwalker : 19th December 2009 at 23:31. Reason: Additional comments
Old 21st December 2009, 09:49   #5
BHPian

Washed the car today with TLC, couldn't help thinking that my WagonR standing next to it was giving me a "what about me" vibe...

Noticed
- Paint job is very good, a light blue scrape from somewhere came right off with absolutely no paint damage
- The paint job on the part below the doors is covered with a slightly uneven transparent coat which I suspect is the chipping protection
- The boot really needs to be slammed down to shut, seems like a defect, can anyone confirm?

Also ordered the seat covers, steering cover and got nice door edge and bumper protection strips...

Hmm this is becoming an initial ownership report now, but I'm too lazy to start a new thread
Old 21st December 2009, 10:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post

- When you turn the fan knob to 'Off' it automatically switches from 'recirculate' to 'fresh air' mode, a little irritating
This happens when you put the AC in auto mode. the Auto mode calculates the amount of cabin air and sucks in the external air to stabilize the temp if required.

When you switch off the AC you even have to change the vent position selector.

Remove the vent position selector (Right last jogger) from auto mode and put it to your choice. Then the recirculate will not change when you switch off.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
b. Turn indicator can also be held down and released as a lane change indicator
c. Recommends that absolutely nothing be placed on the tray, then why have it at all?
b) Could not get this point. Do you mean to say that while lane change, one has to just keep the stalk pressed and so when we have completed the lane change, after releasing the stalk, it will automatically turn off indicators ?

Never noticed this. May be I am just using normal method where in I start indicators for lane change and manually shut them down.

c) This is correct thing. In event of a crash or a very hard braking, the objects on the parcel shelf will become mini projectiles.
Suppose you have kept some small object or you charger. When you brake very hard, chances are that the object will fly off and hit any person.
Although the parcel shelf designs are not very bad as they dont slope too much towards rear seat, the parcel shelf is not deep enough to hold more than a Magazine/Mapbook. Any thing higher than that will fly off.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mr. Walker! In your must do, may I also suggest to change your JK tyres to ones with lesser noise and better grips.

Last edited by iTNerd : 21st December 2009 at 12:15.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:11   #9
BHPian

^^ @aaggoswami -
I think what he means is you just 'tap' on the indicator during a lane change (and not click it fully). This will beep the indicators some 3-4 times and it would automatically stop thereafter. You wouldnt have to bring the indicator back to normal position again. This is how it works in the Fabia. Same concept should hold good here as well.

The parcel tray is for storing pillows and soft toys
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:13   #10
BHPian

'For those who came in late...'.

I had started off with a shortlist of Optra, Manza and Logan and finalised on the Optra, just wanted to evaluate the variants, link.
Also explained on that link reasons for not considering City, Linea and Fiesta.

Eventually got convinced to include SX4 in the shortlist and that led to a pretty extensive evaluation with many useful inputs from James, link

In the end got SX4! Buy details here.

This thread only has additional comments not noted before in the test drives.
One thing though, had mentioned problems with the gear shift in the test drives, but yet to encounter any in my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02 View Post
This happens when you put the AC in auto mode. the Auto mode calculates the amount of cabin air and sucks in the external air to stabilize the temp if required.

When you switch off the AC you even have to change the vent position selector.

Remove the vent position selector (Right last jogger) from auto mode and put it to your choice. Then the recirculate will not change when you switch off.
Works! But I don't agree with the logic for switching the mode. The air inside may be more suitable to maintain the set temperature, which it usually is if switched off momentarily, but it still resets it to 'fresh air'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
^^ @aaggoswami -
I think what he means is you just 'tap' on the indicator during a lane change (and not click it fully). This will beep the indicators some 3-4 times and it would automatically stop thereafter. You wouldnt have to bring the indicator back to normal position again. This is how it works in the Fabia. Same concept should hold good here as well.

The parcel tray is for storing pillows and soft toys
Thanks, though the indicator works as long as you hold it slightly down, it doesn't stop automatically...

I guess re parcel tray I'm more irritated because it doesn't allow me to put the extra baby seat strap as explained above...
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:47   #11
BHPian

While on the ACC, am wondering that if I set the temperature to 24 and Let's say the inside temp is 30 to start with in which case it starts with max cold air at high fan speeds...
What happens when the temp reaches 24?... does the compressor cut off, or does the ACC mix the cold air with hot to set the inflow air temperature to 24 C to maintain the cabin temperature
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
While on the ACC, am wondering that if I set the temperature to 24 and Let's say the inside temp is 30 to start with in which case it starts with max cold air at high fan speeds...
What happens when the temp reaches 24?... does the compressor cut off, or does the ACC mix the cold air with hot to set the inflow air temperature to 24 C to maintain the cabin temperature
From my one week experience, the fan would start at high speed, then as the temp is attained, the fan slows down, then comes a stop or is so slow that it seems as if stopped. The compressor seems to shut off as there is hardly any sound. However, if you put your hand on the vent, you can feel a very soft air flow. You can easily check this by taking the ACC temperature control knob to 30. Start with the temp control knob at 25, see the fan speed, then just set it to 30, in fact if you set to intermediate steps also, you will notice a clear reduction in fan speed.

ACC is a wonderful thing. This morning as I drove to my lab, the outside temperature was 14, and I have the ACC set at 25. There was this very soft warm inflow through the heater making the environ very comfortable.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most irritating aspect of Maruti's auto ACs. It does not remember the previous settings (other than temp.) when you switch it off. I prefer some of the other cars' auto AC systems, which have a separate button for certain functions.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
- The boot really needs to be slammed down to shut, seems like a defect, can anyone confirm?
Same in my SX4,unfortunately it really needs force to get shut.

The problem happens when I go to office/malls where they check the boot and then use delicate force to close but it wont close
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Washed the car today with TLC, couldn't help thinking that my WagonR standing next to it was giving me a "what about me" vibe...

Noticed
- Paint job is very good, a light blue scrape from somewhere came right off with absolutely no paint damage
- The paint job on the part below the doors is covered with a slightly uneven transparent coat which I suspect is the chipping protection

Also ordered the seat covers, steering cover and got nice door edge and bumper protection strips...

Hmm this is becoming an initial ownership report now, but I'm too lazy to start a new thread
Mr. Walker,
Please get the bootlid checked. In my car the bootlid does not have to be pushed at all. It locks on its own once it falls down. The problem I face is keeping the bootlid up. It keeps falling down and closing. Infact, it has fallen on my head more than once.

I do not subscribe any drilling on the bumper ( a protection strip would require that)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks