Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 22:08   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Congrats on the car. be very careful when choosing the alloys. I would suggest you to stay with the company recommended PCD. Please post some pics of your ride.
will post pics on sunday(when I seriously try to find my cannons USB cable)

Currently on my way to a new year party. I am in Goa remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Congrats on your new car. What color did you choose? Post some pics mate.
Moondust Silver, couldn’t help it I was outnumbered 5 to 1(morello was my first choice but now its silver .. just being faithfull to my car )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardul.YamahaF View Post
So dude did you take your Cars Delivery
Hows the feel
waiting for some initial Report and Good Pics
I am just loving it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_seattle View Post
wont u void the warranty if you go for a 14"?
i asked teh service folks, and they confirmed void of warranty in case tampered with tyre size
I'll be keeping the stock rims(exchanging the new tyres for michelin XM1+) and getting some old tyres from scrapyard. So when i go for servicing I'll simply swap the tyres with the stock rims.

Anyway does the warranty cover the suspension parts like shocks arms etc I dont think so.. anyway will read the manual when I get time later and update here
Old 31st December 2009, 22:29   #17
BHPian

@ mods please donot merge this post. I think it deserves a seperate post

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Agent009, I checked with Nikhil. It's a 32 offset. So, go !

Coming to your above post, Ikon does not show up in the list of cars since the stock size is 13". You are seeing the details of 14" x 5.5J. Go for the 5.5J, 14" alloys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Offset of 32mm is correct for Ikon. Don’t worry about it.
thanks guys. got some confidence now.
Will order the 14" x 5.5J neo alloys with 32mm offset tomorrow

Something interesting now
I managed to test a second hand mapmyindia navigator(some 430 model, dealer was asking 10K for it ) it was really good but expensive. That was the boring part … Now comes the masala part. As he was dispaying the features He showed me that the device can show the actual speed of the vehicle. I was shocked to see that there was a big error with the speedo of the IKON TDCI when I was cruzing at 60kmph the navigator showed that I was actually travelling at 57kmph. I wanted to check again at a different speed so I flattered the dealer and convinced him for a longer drive and so it happed again @ 100kmph on the odo the navigator showed my speed as 94kmph. Couldn’t test it at a higher speed as I ran out of open road too much traffic

I googled around to find this link(Carwale.com Review) so there seems to really a considerable speedo error with ikon. that means if we are at practically travelling at 100km/hr the speedo will show 107km/hr(approx) on the higher side.
So taking that into account if we upsize to 185/65/R14 which give an error of 3.5% on lower side i.e in the earlier case if speedo showed 107km/hr in stock tyres then with the 185/65 R14 tyres the speedo will read 103km/hr(approx) thereby actually fixing the error (at least reducing it by half)in the speedometer

To summarize( FORD IKON TDCI owners read carefully)
if you travel 94km(approx) on stock tyres your speed/odo will show that you have travelled 100kms
in other words
if you travel 94,000km your speedo/odo will read 1,00,000kms
i.e you'll be finishing your warranty much earlier i.e a whopping 6,000km
before the actual

Please Note: I may be wrong in summarizing that the speedo and odo are related and are proportional to each other

I'll be posting link to a fantastic tyre size comparision website tomorrow evening(I hope I'll getup by then after tonites new year party). Dont have it on my lappy right now.

@ mods please donot merge this post. I think it deserves a seperate post
Old 1st January 2010, 09:58   #18
BHPian

IS this because the speedo is using same calibration /mechanicals from the older ikon that used to come with 14 inchers?
Old 1st January 2010, 10:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Should be true for ANY vehicle, not just Ikon. And always on the higher side. For more details on this, check Overdrive's testing reports - as done with the v-box. Is higher on some, not so high on some. IIRC, the error was lesser on vehicles from the desi manufacturers (TM. M&M) as compared to the videsi's.
Quote:
agent009 : if you travel 94,000km your speedo/odo will read 1,00,000kms
i.e you'll be finishing your warranty much earlier i.e a whopping 6,000km before the actual
Reg this point :
1. Most times, the customer will run out of time than distance.
2. For people who actually run that much during the wty period, they would have recovered their costs by then.
3. Most times, wty failures come up much much earlier than towards the end of that wty period. Failures that happen towards the end of the wty period are most likely due to wear & tear. Very rarely due to manufacturing defects.
Old 1st January 2010, 10:44   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Should be true for ANY vehicle, not just Ikon. And always on the higher side. For more details on this, check Overdrive's testing reports - as done with the v-box. Is higher on some, not so high on some. IIRC, the error was lesser on vehicles from the desi manufacturers (TM. M&M) as compared to the videsi's.
Reg this point :
1. Most times, the customer will run out of time than distance.
2. For people who actually run that much during the wty period, they would have recovered their costs by then.
3. Most times, wty failures come up much much earlier than towards the end of that wty period. Failures that happen towards the end of the wty period are most likely due to wear & tear. Very rarely due to manufacturing defects.
So true. I don't think personal use cars reach 1,00,000 Kms under 3 years (That's the max timeline they give right?)
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:44   #21
BHPian

Common guys... Think of it this way.
When buyer is entitled to receive warranty upto 1 lac km he should get warranty for 1 lac kms as the manufacturer has already charged the buyer for this while pricing the car
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:02   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Fair enough, @agent009. First, pls prove that the GPS you used is perfect in it's measurements. Once done, pls ensure that you use & maintain the car exactly as per manufacturer's specifications, including adhering to harsh & normal driving conditions.

But will you use the car for 1L km in 2 yrs ?
Old 7th January 2010, 05:25   #23
BHPian

@ condor.. ok bro I give up its just a matter of choice...

will post couple of pics shortly...
Old 7th January 2010, 06:05   #24
BHPian

Ok here are some pics

got just two pics transfered ....
will post the rest along with the original when the alloys arrive..

Got the permanent registration done and once again performed the puja

Had to shell out 30K for the prefered number.. instead of the earlier mentioned 10K
but no regrets I got one hell off a number

ordered seat covers on monday still no sign of them so the plastics intact.
Not using the car as waiting for the alloys else the dealer will not give me a good rate for my tyres...

FORD IKON TDCI.. Its mine now! "The Josh Machine"-img_0009.jpg
FORD IKON TDCI.. Its mine now! "The Josh Machine"-img_0010.jpg
Old 8th January 2010, 11:12   #25
BHPian

smart buy, not bcoz i own one, its just vfm all the way for a 3 box. Im getting around 19 consistently with the ac on 30%.
Old 8th January 2010, 11:38   #26
Team-BHP Support

Agent, get the B pillar stickering done, will give the windows good continuity and since yours is a light color will stand out quite nicely.

Condor has done the same on his Ikon TDCi, which you could refer.
Old 8th January 2010, 12:58   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

And get the side strips. Very essential for the color of your car. These two things will change the look of your car for the better
Old 8th January 2010, 14:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
And get the side strips. Very essential for the color of your car. These two things will change the look of your car for the better
which colour.... Black or body coloured with chrome strip as in fiesta
Old 8th January 2010, 14:20   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

For your car, black.
Chrome strip will not stand out on your car.
Old 8th January 2010, 20:38   #30
BHPian

@condor,
bro I beg to differ...
black Door strips will give the car the age old ford Ikon look.. IMHO

I got the handles and mirrors painted body colour to make the car look cool so now if I add black side stips will it look good..???
just to elaborate on the chrome side strips the ones which I am talking about are the body coloured ones with a thin chrome strip in the centre. The ones which come with the fiesta's...

whats your say

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks