Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 12:18   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Bensbsb29 - I'm inclined to agree that its not an ignition coil issue, cos the jerking is only at low rpm's. When the rpm goes below 1000, thats when it jerks. Normally I'd say that it would require a tune up, however the jerking occurs only in the 2nd and 3rd gear, so not sure.

I think I'll try using System -G and see if that helps.
Any updates, Lalvaz? With a busted ignition coil on my car, i felt the jerks to be highly bothering at lower speeds and gears. Once the veicle picked up speed, the jerks reduced but the feel of the engine certainly wasnt the usual smooth purring. I even undertook a Bangalore-Mysore trip and back on the car with an improper ignition coil. The effect could be made out on the FE, which dropped to 9-10kmpl for city driving, and 13 for highway, despite me driving very sedate on the highway.

My bets are still on the ignition coil. Keep us posted.
Old 31st May 2010, 13:23   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
kiku007 :
1. Ease of driving and parking in the city
2. Good FE even in small runs
3. Trouble free maintenance
@Kiku, are you really giving up the Ikon ?

* The Ikon is not really too big compared to a hatch - may be about 10 cm ?
* The FE is not going to be too different, is it ? may be 1km or so per liter ?
* And is your car giving any problems ? You know your car from the start. you know if it has any problems ..
* Remember the riding / driving comfort the Ikon has ?

Considering all this, and if the car is not giving any problems, I suggest you keep the Ikon. While a new car is not likely to give any problems, any dings by first time drivers & the wife will hurt more .. Once they are comfortable with driving, you can still think of giving it up for another - in case you all still want to.

Remember GTO's thread about 5-yr old cars ? The ROI starts now ..
Old 31st May 2010, 13:30   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Kiku, are you really giving up the Ikon ?
Sadly, yes. For all the good things about the Ford/Ikon, the answer is we have the Fiesta now.

Driveability - It's not me who's going to drive. Ppl at home like the Spark's small size.

No big problems in the Ikon. We must have to give it up someday, it's close to 7 years now. So why not? :(
Old 31st May 2010, 15:42   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Here's why it doesn't,

And anyways I have the we have the fiesta right?
Not yet sir, not yet. But very soon!!
Old 31st May 2010, 18:54   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Not yet sir, not yet. But very soon!!
Hey Abhi, sorry for the typo!

What I meant was, we already have the Fiesta 1.6 at home.
Old 6th June 2010, 12:04   #81
Senior - BHPian

No, I've shown it to a service center, but they were not able to diagnose the problem. Still jerking at low rpm's, although the car does'nt stall.

They claim the ignition coil is fine, no need to change. Cant figure it out, although its happening even with them. They're now suspecting some problem with the fuel pump, but its only a guess I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Any updates, Lalvaz? With a busted ignition coil on my car, i felt the jerks to be highly bothering at lower speeds and gears. Once the veicle picked up speed, the jerks reduced but the feel of the engine certainly wasnt the usual smooth purring. I even undertook a Bangalore-Mysore trip and back on the car with an improper ignition coil. The effect could be made out on the FE, which dropped to 9-10kmpl for city driving, and 13 for highway, despite me driving very sedate on the highway.

My bets are still on the ignition coil. Keep us posted.
Old 6th June 2010, 13:21   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

No More Ford Twins @ Home

All stories have an end. The Ikon is sold.
Old 6th June 2010, 22:00   #83
Senior - BHPian

kiku, all good things come to an end. You have the Ikon's spiritual successor at home anyway. When is the Spark coming?
Old 18th July 2010, 09:34   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

10,000 Kms/6 Months Service done @ Chennai Ford Poonamalle Service Centre. Cost around 2K.

Will give a detailed review later, since it involved Body Shop work also.

Here's the most pleasantly shocking update --> Filled up petrol @ Shell-Porur, the car's DTE showed 493 for almost full tank Such a high figure has never come up before in the last 6 months. The DTE is reducing correctly even after a good 100 kms within the city.

Current City Mileage is 11 KmpL!
Old 19th July 2010, 08:03   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10,000 Kms/6 Months Service done @ Chennai Ford Poonamalle Service Centre. Cost around 2K.

Here's the most pleasantly shocking update --> Filled up petrol @ Shell-Porur, the car's DTE showed 493 for almost full tank Such a high figure has never come up before in the last 6 months. The DTE is reducing correctly even after a good 100 kms within the city.

Kikuji,

How much on odo when you did the second service? Body shop work - Any damage to the body?
The cost for my fiesta second service was around 1K. Good for you since your DTE is responding quite well. Mine is very erractic, had got it checked during the second service but the pain still remains.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have never seen 493 on mine. The best I have seen is 455. So looks like you have been driving with a light foot eh. Mine hovers around 9.7-10.2 these days.

The cost of the 2nd service should be Rs. 1400.

So were you satisfied with the body work?
Old 19th July 2010, 10:55   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, here are the details.

Service Done @ 5857 Kms

Service Cost - Rs.2366
* Was Oil - 50.76
* Filter Eng Oil - 113.64
* Consumable - 130
* Engine Oil - 720
* 10000 Kms Service - 810
* Condenser - Core Wash done - 300

Something extra done here to push my service cost above 2k. Car is nice to drive so I don't bother.

Body Work
There were minor dents on the Left front fender, left front door, left rear door and right front fender. Estimate was a cool 32K to repair and paint all these.

Iffco Tokio surveyor had the guts to call and tell me that he will approve only the rear left door. Blasted the hell out of him. Then the workshop people also made sure he approved all the left hand side damages. Finally I paid Rs.7416/- (Rs.5500+taxes for the front right fender and some insurance excess charges)

The body shop work on the damaged areas are very good esp the paint matching finish etc. However they didn't paint the inside of the door handles properly and they also left some stains (Rubber stamp) on my biege seats

Seat stain was removed by CF. They have offered to pick up the car and paint the door handles again.

Overall the Chennai Ford Poonamalle Service Centre is a peaceful place to take the car due to the low volumes there. People have the time to atleast listen to our complaints, take a proper road test etc. Accessibility is the problem :(

And BTW when I went to drop the car I saw a horrific site. They had locked a Endy with it's key inside and they used a big screw driver to push the door out a bit so that they can insert the metal cable to pull the lever out.

And I saw a brand new Ford Fiesta 1.4 Duratorq SVP (EXI with Music System+4 speakers+driver seat height adjustment) in their parking lot. Time for a limited edition diesel??
Old 19th July 2010, 11:00   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
* 10000 Kms Service - 810
This is not supposed to be charged during the 10k/6 months service as it's a FREE service! Looks like you were conned. I never paid for the service. Just paid for the oil and consumables and it came to 1400. Did they take the free service coupon as well?

Quote:
And I saw a brand new Ford Fiesta 1.4 Duratorq SVP (EXI with Music System+4 speakers+driver seat height adjustment) in their parking lot. Time for a limited edition diesel??
Yes, 6.7L ex showroom Chennai. I saw a few ads.

Last edited by Gilead : 19th July 2010 at 11:12.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:51   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for letting me know Gilhead. Let me speak to the CF guys.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:03   #90
Senior - BHPian

for 2nd service on my car- I have not paid anything more than the oil + consumables?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks