Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2011, 07:11   #5146
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

I updated mine with Osram 90/100W...the performance is great! I used to struggle in the highways & in the rain (spotting unmarked speedbrakers in blore) and hence went for the update inspite of warranty issues. The result was very satisfactory. Also, I was advised not to install whitelights due to visibility issues in bad weather.

The only problem is the warranty. Recently my A/C fuse blew out..when I went to the SA to check what was wrong, they said the fuse blew out coz of my headlamp upgrade...heard similar things from my friends as well..whatever the problem they will point back at the upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Has any BHPian had installed 90/100W bulbs in Figo or know any of your friends/relatives have done it ? If yes how is performance and are there any side effects like reflector/Front glass deterioration etc. etc. over period of time. I am in process of Finding solution to HL problem Issue. Installing Hella Aux. lamp is one of the solution as fellow BHPian laxmanrk has done it and has explained it very nicely in his ownership thread. I have sortlisted it and trying to have another economical option. In autolighting thread most of the BHPians are not advising "White Light" bulbs if all weather Visibility is Concerned. I had purposefully put it here since I would like to know Figo specific Performance and Problems. Hope administrators allow this by considering above justification.
Old 1st September 2011, 09:17   #5147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
I updated mine with Osram 90/100W...the performance is great! I used to struggle in the highways & in the rain (spotting unmarked speedbrakers in blore) and hence went for the update inspite of warranty issues. The result was very satisfactory. Also, I was advised not to install whitelights due to visibility issues in bad weather.
Thanks Rohing,

Since most of the Ford owners have mentioned about poor spread of light due to peculiar reflector design, how you find spread of light and experience in ghat section ? I have Philips 90/100 on my old M800, installed 8 to 9 yrs ago and still going on. I found quality and Quantity of light to be more than enough. I would like to know why you chose Osram over Philips ? Are figo HL bulbs different than M800 bulbs, My M800 mechanic told me this. For how long you are using them and have you noticed any side effects like Fading/melting of Reflectors and Front lens as Bullboy has mentioned in his Post. If you read his subsequent posts he also mentions that even 100/130 were not adequate due to bad reflector design. For M800 even after such long period the reflectors are good and front lens too but its made up of glass. Fellow BHPian Figo_MBA has mentioned his experience about fading and blackening of reflector with old Fiesta in his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
The only problem is the warranty. Recently my A/C fuse blew out..when I went to the SA to check what was wrong, they said the fuse blew out coz of my headlamp upgrade...heard similar things from my friends as well..whatever the problem they will point back at the upgrade.
Well I discussed this with A.S.S.C. Floor manager. According to him, there will be warranty issues pertaining to Reflectors and Head Lamp cluster not others. However you dont know when they will attribute other problems to this. just for curiosity which is this A.S.S.C. I feel that one can take chance on warranty issues over risk of accident due to poor visibility.
Old 1st September 2011, 14:44   #5148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post

If you read his subsequent posts he also mentions that even 100/130 were not adequate due to bad reflector design.
I have been using 100/130 for over two months now and i havent yet faced any problems. when i installed it initially, i was given a feedback that the high intensity will fry the domes. However, my figo and night visibility is perfect as of now, with no signs of progressive heating up. I keep a check of the light and domes every time i return back after a drive or prolonged usage.

However, it is pertinent to mention that i don't do much of long drives at night which requires head lamp on drives extending beyond three hours at a stretch.I also make it a point to switch off the light at traffic junctions or idling when i dont require it
Old 1st September 2011, 20:21   #5149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion

Thanks Rohing,

Since most of the Ford owners have mentioned about poor spread of light due to peculiar reflector design, how you find spread of light and experience in ghat section ? I have Philips 90/100 on my old M800, installed 8 to 9 yrs ago and still going on. I found quality and Quantity of light to be more than enough. I would like to know why you chose Osram over Philips ? Are figo HL bulbs different than M800 bulbs, My M800 mechanic told me this. For how long you are using them and have you noticed any side effects like Fading/melting of Reflectors and Front lens as Bullboy has mentioned in his Post. If you read his subsequent posts he also mentions that even 100/130 were not adequate due to bad reflector design. For M800 even after such long period the reflectors are good and front lens too but its made up of glass. Fellow BHPian Figo_MBA has mentioned his experience about fading and blackening of reflector with old Fiesta in his post.

Well I discussed this with A.S.S.C. Floor manager. According to him, there will be warranty issues pertaining to Reflectors and Head Lamp cluster not others. However you dont know when they will attribute other problems to this. just for curiosity which is this A.S.S.C. I feel that one can take chance on warranty issues over risk of accident due to poor visibility.
I completely agree on the spread. We fitted the same set of bulbs on my uncle's swift and the result was much much better. However, my comments were more 'relative'. The stock ones were really bad and the new bulbs made a difference both in city/highway driving. It was almost a question of safety vs warranty. On a rainy night stock bulbs were useless and with the cars opp not diming, you are pretty much driving blind.

Osram was highly recommended to me by a couple of knowlegeable people and hence the choice. Not sure on the exact difference. Its been good so far and no dimming atleast am not able to spot.

However, I would not recommend going above this. The reason being that the probability of dimming increases. In addition, due to bad design the incremental value is not as much as it should be...it will be better but not so much better
Old 1st September 2011, 21:46   #5150
Senior - BHPian

An interesting track test by Karun & Gaurav Gill, pitting the Swift against the Figo "THE SWIFT, INDIA’S HOTTEST HATCH SHOULD BRUSH ASIDE THE UPSTART FIGO, RIGHT? THINK AGAIN " .. Overdrive
Old 2nd September 2011, 07:41   #5151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Actually, I can make out the sound from inside the cabin too.
Something like a slight "zrrrr" sound accompanying the engine sound.
But I'm sure that it comes from the belt, was able to notice it when I listen to it with the bonnet open and engine running.

Have marked the place from which the sound originates in the pic below.[pic taken from first page of this thread]

Suresh(At Sejal Motors) also tried applying some petroleum jelly on the belt to see if it reduces the noise, but didn't change much. But he confidently said its not an issue though.
Remember someone posting about the tensioner pulley going kaput. I think you should ask them to check in those lines. Please search on Figo threads.I really dont remember who exactly posted it.
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:59   #5152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
An interesting track test by Karun & Gaurav Gill, pitting the Swift against the Figo "THE SWIFT, INDIA’S HOTTEST HATCH SHOULD BRUSH ASIDE THE UPSTART FIGO, RIGHT? THINK AGAIN " .. Overdrive
Don't want to turn this into a debate, but post getting used to a Ford/Fiat's steering, it is scary to drive Japs/Koreans at good speeds.

Due to some circumstances, covered almost 15kms in approx 7 mins and I threw the Car in & out of lanes with the tacho over 3,500 revs in 5th gear and I didn't even bat an eye-lid. With a Tire upgrade, I am sure it will put bigger smiles.

You feel in sync with the Car. And I for one, for this trait, completely smitten by it.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:37   #5153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Don't want to turn this into a debate, but post getting used to a Ford/Fiat's steering, it is scary to drive Japs/Koreans at good speeds.

Due to some circumstances, covered almost 15kms in approx 7 mins and I threw the Car in & out of lanes with the tacho over 3,500 revs in 5th gear and I didn't even bat an eye-lid. With a Tire upgrade, I am sure it will put bigger smiles.

You feel in sync with the Car. And I for one, for this trait, completely smitten by it.
Sorry mate, but i guess you havent tried driving a Mitsu Dont generalise all Japs/Koreans. Hyundai might have atrocious handling at speeds, but some of Jap cars are the very best - better than Ford/Fiat.
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:47   #5154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Sorry mate, but i guess you havent tried driving a Mitsu Dont generalise all Japs/Koreans. Hyundai might have atrocious handling at speeds, but some of Jap cars are the very best - better than Ford/Fiat.
Under Rs. 10L?

Honda does make Sports Cars and so does Mitsu and Nissan and may be a couple of others.
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:50   #5155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Under Rs. 10L?

Honda does make Sports Cars and so does Mitsu and Nissan and may be a couple of others.
Yes the Mitsubishi Lancer, the Cedia, the Old Honda City (OHC) have the most direct steering's out there.
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:17   #5156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Remember someone posting about the tensioner pulley going kaput. I think you should ask them to check in those lines. Please search on Figo threads.I really dont remember who exactly posted it.
Thanks a lot for the pointer gemi, You are the figo wiki

Jayded has mentioned that here

Quote:
the timing idler pulley and belt tensioner had to be replaced since they were found to produce some kind of humming sound from the engine compartment.
Thats exactly whats happening in my case also I guess, Will check with A.S.S on these lines.
Old 2nd September 2011, 21:55   #5157
BHPian

You were spot on gemi
I visited Cauvery ford today, and they told the exact same.
The timing idler pulley and belt tensioner were replaced under warranty, and the engine sound is back to normal again.
Yet another instance where I had all the needed info before going to A.S.S and got it solved. Thank you Gemi, Thank you Team-BHP
Old 3rd September 2011, 00:17   #5158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
There's a 'dog bar' in the Figo. Atleast I think that's what it is. It's behind the black horizontal part of the bumper where the number plate is fixed. Tried drilling the bumper to fix the plates but the dog bar played spoilsport. How do you fix the number plates on the front? Drill thorough the steel plate?
Hey guys, just got delivery of my ford figo & utsav number plates.

Now im wondering how to fix the front plate?

Any solutions?
Old 3rd September 2011, 01:26   #5159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
You were spot on gemi
I visited Cauvery ford today, and they told the exact same.
The timing idler pulley and belt tensioner were replaced under warranty, and the engine sound is back to normal again.
Yet another instance where I had all the needed info before going to A.S.S and got it solved. Thank you Gemi, Thank you Team-BHP
Good to hear that the issue has been rectified. In my case, I had not realized that there was a humming sound. I had taken my car in for the "Stalling while downshifting" issue and in the process, they diagnosed this sound and proactively replaced the associated parts. I just hope this "Parts failing-replacing" circus does not continue that frequently after the warranty runs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Hey guys, just got delivery of my ford figo & utsav number plates.

Now im wondering how to fix the front plate?

Any solutions?
As far as I know, Figo doesn't have a dog bar behind the black plastic in the front. You can easily secure the number plates with the help of a couple of screws (at least that's what is done on mine). Your service center would assist you with this. It's a simple procedure.
jayded is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 10:53   #5160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
As far as I know, Figo doesn't have a dog bar behind the black plastic in the front. You can easily secure the number plates with the help of a couple of screws (at least that's what is done on mine). Your service center would assist you with this. It's a simple procedure.
Behind the Black Plastic where number plate is fixed there is a plate with u shaped Grooves at top and bottom. The Number plate screws can be fitted at top and/or bottom in plastic which will protrude inside in those U shaped grooves. My Numberplate maker tried to Fix screws at center on both sides of number plate but it was not possible hence got it fitted at A.S.S.C. where they fixed screws at top. On asking why it was not possible to fix at center they showed be the plate and explained it on another figo whose all front Plastic was dismantled for some repairs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks