Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 08:18   #6346
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
It's been over a couple of months till date and the rattling sound did not appear again.
Good to know that it is a permanent fix

But yeah, the common thing is that both of us refueled with needle going not too much below F. But anyways, since you had talked about mileage, this incident happened with an alarming reduction in mileage. The last tankfull had given me 15.12kmpl completely in the city. Whereas, the one in question with the needle not going up gave me just 10.4kmpl(160km trip ate 14.5L) with 50% highway all with AC on. It was the same fuel station and the same hose too. Don't know how this could happen. The overall average for my car is 14.5kmpl fully city driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
@kart19: In the old fiesta and fusion, DTE does not change for the first few KM after refueling. In my figo, I never switch off the engine while refueling and DTE increases immediately. Hope this was helpful.
oh, in mine it always does. This was the first time it did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
This seems to a case with a handful of Figo's .
I have never turned off the engine to fill the tank, be it from half tank or an empty tank and never encountered this issue. Dont think what the technician gave you is a valid explanation either.
Was this is a one off scenario or does it happen everytime the tank is filled with the engine running? If it happens everytime, you may want to get a second opinion as it may also be an issue with the fuel level sensor or float which will lead to wrong readings.. Im not sure floats are still around on new cars.
Maybe I din't communicate correctly. The engine was not running. It was in the position where the engine switches off but the everything else is on so to speak. I have never filled with engine running.
So let me try to sum it up from experiences here

1. It is ok to fill up with engine running
2. It is not ok to fill up a few litres (5-10) with engine/power ON
3. Not ok to fill up with power ON only

Please correct if you have any contrasting opinions
Old 20th March 2012, 09:39   #6347
BHPian

This happened with me too and i don't consider it to be an issue. IMO, Its advised to turn off the ignition completely before refueling. It happened with me thrice that i got the diesel filled and there was no indication and the low fuel warning light & chime kept on. Only after few start-stops it started showing correct readings. For the first time, I was too panic and held the person at fuel pump responsible. He started swearing that he filled correctly. Drove to the next pump and got more fuel filled. This time the readings were accurate and the DTE+Needle showed the amount filled at both fuel pumps.

This scenario was also experienced by me in the Indica vista TDI.
Old 20th March 2012, 09:49   #6348
Senior - BHPian

I normally run my Figo until the low fuel warning lamp comes on, and then completely fill up the tank.
A month ago, I filled up my tank to the brim, ran the car about 50km in the city. Then, I went and topped up petrol again. The fuel gauge and DTE did not reflect the 4.5 litres I had just put in. However, at the next tank full, the DTE and fuel gauge seem to be behaving normally.
I always turn off ignition, put the key in my pocket and step out of the car when refuelling.
Old 20th March 2012, 14:14   #6349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited-edition View Post
Which film did you use on windshield? 3M CR-70? Where did you get this done?

V-KOOL is better than 3M ?

I am not sure, but I guess you V-KOOL will have cost around 11k.
I used 3M CR 70 on the windshield. Off hand i don't remember the name of the shop where i got it done. It was in Dec 2010. The shop is a prominent one on the left side when you transit from Kaloor to Palarivattom, somewhere near the stadium. He did not have V-Kool with him then, so I do not know the cost of it.

And, i do not know if V Kool is better than 3M also. Maybe a bit of pondering within the forums will fetch you the answer

Hope this was helpful
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 14:17   #6350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart19 View Post

Maybe I din't communicate correctly. The engine was not running. It was in the position where the engine switches off but the everything else is on so to speak. I have never filled with engine running.
So let me try to sum it up from experiences here

1. It is ok to fill up with engine running
2. It is not ok to fill up a few litres (5-10) with engine/power ON
3. Not ok to fill up with power ON only

Please correct if you have any contrasting opinions
Kart19,
Guess I mis-read as well.
I have not filled the tank with the ignition in the 'ON' postition either. But, I feel engine running or not running ('on' postition') should make the needle move when filling petrol. Let me check the next time I top up and will let you know if I experience the same issue.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 14:19   #6351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I used 3M CR 70 on the windshield. Off hand i don't remember the name of the shop where i got it done. It was in Dec 2010.
Thanks Danush, It seems that prices for CR-70 has came down. Last week when I checked at AM Decor (Authorized 3M Dealer), they quoted 5k for CR-70.
Old 20th March 2012, 15:02   #6352
Senior - BHPian

The problem happens if you turn off the engine half way of fill. Whether you turn off engine before filling or you keep the engine running through out.

Team-BHP MOD Note : Please take time to type words completely and also do a spell check. Thanks!

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st March 2012 at 17:40.
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 17:07   #6353
Senior - BHPian

@ALL: Guys, did any of you get a gear lock installed in your Figo? If yes, what make is it & does the lock pin go in smoothly or do you need to pull back on the gear stick a little more after putting it in reverse?

Also for those who have a diesel Figo, when did you guys get the car's first oil change done? And which oil did you guys use along with an estimated cost?
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:04   #6354
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Also for those who have a diesel Figo, when did you guys get the car's first oil change done? And which oil did you guys use along with an estimated cost?
First oil change was done at 2500km (or 3 months) for all diesel figos, but heard that cars rolled out in later part of 2011 are done at 10000km (or 1 year).
Lot of discussion had been done about the quality of oil in earlier posts. Pl do refer.
The quantity is 3.8L (5W30 grade) and cost came around 190/- + tax per litre. Check for latest oil prices.
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:37   #6355
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys, recently I took a city cab to go home from Bangalore Intl airport and it was an Ikon TDCi. I was amazed when I saw a reading of 2,85,000 kms on the Odometer. I checked with the driver and he said that engine hasnt been opened yet and probably would last uptil 4 lac Kms. Ofcourse he was driving very reasonably to get good mileage, so doesnt stress the engine unnecessarily, but felt happy now that I have a Figo diesel and ofcourse i would not drive that much in 20 yrs and neither would keep the car that long .

Last edited by supertinu : 22nd March 2012 at 17:38. Reason: grammatical error fixed
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:55   #6356
BHPian

^^ Sure. We cant replicate the running of the cabs. Their engines last very long due to the fact that they do numerous long trips on highways. Our cars spend almost 95% of their time in jam-packed city traffics and short trips. For most of the cars, their journey end even before they warm up sufficiently. IMO, we are very responsive to minor niggles-get irritated and sell the car sooner than we had thought of. Also due to the eagerness to up-grade we end up selling the car before it ages to death.
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:39   #6357
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Getting my Figo tomorrow finally. Here are some quick questions. Some of questions might be answered by SP or even owner manual but I trust team-bhpians more than any other sources

1. Is there initial run in kilometers for Figo Diesel. Is there a speed limit for initial certain kilometers? Say 1000 KMs and speed of 90 kmph.
2. How many are happily running on stock R14 MRF tyres here? How are your MRF stock tyres? You guys see any need for upgrade.
3. Which diesel is better for Figo? Normal diesel or should I go for premium ones? I know that for MJD engines its recommended that one must use normal diesel instead of premium one.

Any other suggestions
Old 22nd March 2012, 20:49   #6358
BHPian

For engine care refer to the blue leaflet (Quick guide) you get along with the service manual/owner book. Most of the points are covered very precisely. For mechanical car care Refer to this wonderful thread by SS-Traveller :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...e-driving.html

1. Be kind to the engine for the first 5k kms. Do not lug and do not rev hard in any gears or stand still.

2. Drive with the stock tyres little bit and change only if you feel the need. Initially i was very apprehensive about apollo aceleres on my car, but later on i found them quite good.

3. Straight away go for the SAADA aka normal diesel.

And finally congratulations in advance for the possession. Drive safe!
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:47   #6359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Hi All,
1. Is there initial run in kilometers for Figo Diesel. Is there a speed limit for initial certain kilometers? Say 1000 KMs and speed of 90 kmph.
2. How many are happily running on stock R14 MRF tyres here? How are your MRF stock tyres? You guys see any need for upgrade.
3. Which diesel is better for Figo? Normal diesel or should I go for premium ones? I know that for MJD engines its recommended that one must use normal diesel instead of premium one.
Any other suggestions
Congrats ! The run-in answer is there in the manual , there's no specific recommendation, just that you don't accelerate hard or rev high during first 2500km ( or 5000 ? ) . I'm running OE fitted Goodyears, too early to say how good they are. Diesel - no recommendation by SA or manual, I'm using regular diesel.
Old 22nd March 2012, 22:01   #6360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Also due to the eagerness to up-grade we end up selling the car before it ages to death.
Cant agree more. There is more in the engine after that one lakh km provided regular service is done and minor issues taken care of, before they become major issues. Also modern day diesels have tight tolerances so keeping an eye on that temperature gauge is warranted to ensure longevity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks