Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2012, 22:08   #6361
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
How many are happily running on stock R14 MRF tyres here? How are your MRF stock tyres? You guys see any need for upgrade.
I'm running on my stock MRF. 4.5k km covered.
1. On snowy roads, they don't provide satisfactory grip. Another set of tyres is preferred for snowy conditions.
2. Noise from tyres is quite audible inside cabin after speed of 90kph.
3. They're quite tough. Saves rims and suspension on bad roads and sudden potholes.
4. No sign of ageing visible yet. They still look like fresh out of showroom. The tiny spike-like things are still there on sidewalls.
5. I'm satisfied with my tyres since I don't usually drive on snowy roads or above 90kph and I'm cruel with my car when it comes to handling potholes at high speed. I will not be changing to another set of tyres until my stock tyres expire.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 22nd March 2012 at 22:09. Reason: Adding one more point
Old 22nd March 2012, 22:27   #6362
Team-BHP Support

A word on MRF's.

My Car is close to 13,000kms. I am quite happy with the MRF's. Recently had a chance to drive a Car, shod with 155 section Kumho brand tires (it wasn't a Figo, but is a competitor to it in the petrol segment) and it squealed away to glory while my Figo on stock MRF's is planted and I am yet to hear the Car squealing (saving exceptions).

Have sampled a Figo with 195 section tires (as a passenger) and it was a leech. Stuck to the road like glue. In comparison the MRF's hold their ground pretty well. And they are tough too.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd March 2012 at 22:34.
Old 22nd March 2012, 22:31   #6363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
255 section
On a hatch???!!!..
Quote:
In comparison the MRF's hold their ground pretty well. And they are tough too.
IMO, OE MRF's on the Figo lack grip on wet conditions. It might surprise you with the lack of grip. That said: They have a loonnnggggg life.
Quote:
Have sampled a Figo with 195 section tires
Was there any tramlining effect with 195's?

Last edited by dhanushs : 22nd March 2012 at 22:37.
Old 22nd March 2012, 22:37   #6364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
On a hatch???!!!..
Sorry, that was a typo, edited.
Quote:
IMO, OE MRF's on the Figo lack grip on wet conditions. It might surprise you with the lack of grip.

That said: They have a loonnnggggg life.
Haven't really exploited but when the compound is hard (cheap & longevity) its bound to surprise one.
Old 22nd March 2012, 23:29   #6365
BHPian

I feel the MRF's don't wear-out soon, but they tend to become hard and slip easily thereafter. I believe tyres of this kind should be changed at 30-35k kms irrespective of the tread left.
Old 23rd March 2012, 02:13   #6366
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase mate, do click pictures & post them here as well

Now, for your questions, let me try answering them to the best of my knowledge:

1. Yes. The manual states that the engine should not be revved beyond 3K for the first 5K kms.

2. I got Goodyear GT3s on my Figo & they are decent enough. Moreover, though there could be better tyres available out there but I didn't have the heart nor the money to trade in a set of new tyres & also pay some extra cash for some "better" set. I would say, use the stock tyres for as long as you can & use the extra 4-5K that would have been spent on the tyre upgrade for better purposes like maybe sun-films or seat covers.

3. Plain & simple diesel. Though, having had experience with the first generation Sumos & Indicas coupled with the knowledge gained from cab drivers, it's best to use the premium diesel in between like maybe every 4th tank-full could be of that. Cabbies say that it keeps their engines cleaner & that's what I also believe since my uncle's Sumo is still running strong after more than 3 lacs on the odo, with nothing apart from a regular & timely supply of fresh mineral motor oil in the engine.

Suggestion: Do utilize the engine's safe rev range i.e. up to 3K within the first 5K kms simply because it would help the engine open up slowly instead of subjecting it to such scenarios suddenly post 5K. It's something like, you wake up & you have a slow day but then towards the end, you are required to be all energetic suddenly maybe for some party etc. I don't know if I put it correctly but I hope you got the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Hi All,

Getting my Figo tomorrow finally. Here are some quick questions. Some of questions might be answered by SP or even owner manual but I trust team-bhpians more than any other sources

1. Is there initial run in kilometers for Figo Diesel. Is there a speed limit for initial certain kilometers? Say 1000 KMs and speed of 90 kmph.
2. How many are happily running on stock R14 MRF tyres here? How are your MRF stock tyres? You guys see any need for upgrade.
3. Which diesel is better for Figo? Normal diesel or should I go for premium ones? I know that for MJD engines its recommended that one must use normal diesel instead of premium one.

Any other suggestions

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 23rd March 2012 at 02:18.
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:24   #6367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
Sorry, that was a typo, edited.

Haven't really exploited but when the compound is hard (cheap & longevity) its bound to surprise one.
I have completed 20K on my MRF tyres. Rate 7/10 for normal conditions, 5/10 for wet and grip during high speed turns.

It is perfect for normal city driving esp bad roads etc. In half wet conditions grip is not great. Similarly better tyres may aid in braking/ turning in speeds -greater than 100. For normal highway runs MRFs more than suffice. Yes, tyre noise is evident but not too much. My opinion is that it may not be worthwhile (financially) upgrading now unless you drive very fast or drive extensively in wet conditions. Otherwise upgrade at 35k.
Old 23rd March 2012, 09:05   #6368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I feel the MRF's don't wear-out soon, but they tend to become hard and slip easily thereafter. I believe tyres of this kind should be changed at 30-35k kms irrespective of the tread left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
I have completed 20K on my MRF tyres. Rate 7/10 for normal conditions, 5/10 for wet and grip during high speed turns.

Otherwise upgrade at 35k.
MRF's are quite sturdy and have stood with me for the test of time and some hard run ins. Have tripped 40,000 kms on it so far. I have been seeing the need to change it from around 36000 or so. However, the tyres are tough and sturdy, is equally durable and is the right compromise between handling, drive, feel and smoothness for a figo like purpose of a car. You can easily push the tyres to 40,000 Kms without much difficulty unless you are one of those who always drives through non existent roads.

Now that I've had my time with MRF, I'm upgrading to 185/ 65 R 14s. On a serious look out for my kind of usage. 50/50 city and highway driving with some potholed roads here and there. Any suggestions welcome
Old 23rd March 2012, 09:43   #6369
BHPian

You can consider any one of them in 185/65 R14 :

1. Newly launched Michelin Energy XM 2.
2. Apollo Acelere (I have been using them and Its a good compromise between comfort and durability)
3. MRF Zlo (only available in 185/70 R14)

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 23rd March 2012 at 09:47.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:17   #6370
BHPian

I bought a new phone. I tried pairing it with the car and it says 'List is Full' Pair error. Tried searching but couldn locate this issue in the forum as far as i know.

Is this because I've paired more than 4 phones to the car and it cannot take anymore. Is there a way of deleting the list. Incidentally, the battery was disconnected last week to reset stuff for another issue. If this does not reset the list, what will?
Or is it some phone related issue? It is Google Nexus Prime btw.
Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:50   #6371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart19 View Post
I bought a new phone. I tried pairing it with the car and it says 'List is Full' Pair error. Tried searching but couldn locate this issue in the forum as far as i know.

Is this because I've paired more than 4 phones to the car and it cannot take anymore. Is there a way of deleting the list. Incidentally, the battery was disconnected last week to reset stuff for another issue. If this does not reset the list, what will?
Or is it some phone related issue? It is Google Nexus Prime btw.
Thanks in advance.
  • press and HOLD on the MENU button (with Bluetooth icon on it) for 2-3 seconds.
  • Now you are in the bluetooth menu.
  • Press the menu button 3-4 times to surf through other options and you will reach the delete devices options.
  • select the option (Del Devices) using the right double arrow (the one used to change the song while in audio mode)
  • Now select the paired device that you want to delete and press the right arrow button again.
  • it will give a long 1sec beep and the device you selected is deleted.
If this does not work, start and stop the engine and retry the same steps

There is no problem in connecting an android phone. I own an S2 which pair beautifully with the HU
figo_mba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 10:54   #6372
BHPian

Ok, attaching some pics and pardon my photography skills . Having done about 300 Kms in a week, I am happy to have bought the right package for family requirements. Butter smooth engine with effortless handling are my biggest likes till now.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-17032012241.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-17032012242.jpg  

Old 24th March 2012, 12:28   #6373
Senior - BHPian

^^ Congrats buddy, it's definitely a nice package. And just like you, I also find that the engine is getting smoother day after day. Adding on, Figo looks terrific in silver; must say that this is the second colour apart from black which really brings out the character in this car IMO.

I love the car for it's all around visibility from inside, the engine & the overall feel & character that the car displays. It feels built to last & I sure hope it does.

I am so engrossed in driving the car around, that I haven't really been able to put up my ownership thread yet. Am still on the job & hopefully, I can post it in a couple of days from now.

Drive safe & keep posting your experiences here.
Old 25th March 2012, 09:36   #6374
BHPian

Got the 3rd paid service (20k) done at 10082 kms on 24th March 2012 (March 2010 model, 1.4 TDCi). My car doesn't move out much from the garage, thanks to my walking distance to office and my Bullet. So it is mostly weekend drives that makes the odometer tick.

The 3rd paid service saw the oil, oil filter, brake and clutch fluid, air filter and A/C cowl filter change. Top was done to PS fluid, coolant, battery fluid and windshield washer. Door latches and locking machnism was greased.

The service adviser insisted that brake and clutch fluid and A/C cowl filter change isn't required as such. But I was adamant that if its mentioned in the service booklet then it is bound to be replaced.

Asked him why they don't change it as per the service schedule, got a reply that it was due to customer feedback. Many customers want the bill to be low and 'part change' that isn't required should either be cleaned or remain as it is.

This is the reason why the oil and oil filter change isn't done now at 2.5k kms. This reduces the service cost appreciably (almost zero) for the 1st service and leaves an impression in the owner's mind that maintenance cost is the best in class as compared to other brands. What they don't think is that in the longer run this might have an adverse effect on the engine and other critical parts of the car.

Total bill came out to 3837 INR

Breakup

Consumables cost: 1910.63 INR
Labor Cost: 1530 INR
Service Tax: 157.59 INR
VAT: 238.83 INR
Old 25th March 2012, 09:58   #6375
BHPian

Since your car has run only around 10k kms, the AC filter change wasn't required. It is very much washable and becomes new after a wash/clean. Did you notice any change in the drive after this service?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks