Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2010, 23:50   #16
BHPian

Updates

1) Replaced the factory HU with my old MP3 player. Used a mounting kit (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Omxhkse...itara-Kit.html) after removing the stock radio. It was a very easy install, and looks like this:
Grand Vitara 2.4-empeg.jpg

2) Tried installing the skid plates, but couldn't. One of the brackets was meant for LHDs. Wrote to the supplier and got a replacement part, but yet to attempt installation again.

3) Got the 2nd free service (5000 km) done in Motorcraft, Noida. Thanks Sudev for the contact! Motorcraft is a really professional looking MASS, was in and out in a couple of hours.

4) Had a puncture, tear in the tyre was too big to be fixed. Thought I'd replace the tyre, but it costs 9.2k! So got it 'patched' for 500 bucks. Going to use it only as a spare, let's see how that goes.

5) Rotated tyres, balanced and aligned wheels at 9600 km.

6) Removed the spare wheel cover. I think it looks better. Though will need to trim the black circular holder so that it doesn't jut out into the tyre.
Grand Vitara 2.4-back.jpg
oldmonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2010, 11:21   #17
BHPian

Hey oldmonk, nice looking car ! BTW : what is the mileage you are getting ?
Old 21st March 2010, 12:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
1)3) Got the 2nd free service (5000 km) done in Motorcraft, Noida.
Considering the fact you can have a to-and-fro drive of 250 kms for lunch, I find hardly any surprise in you undertaking (in case you really did) a 4000-odd kms (BLR-NOIDA-BLR) to-and-fro drive for a good MASS

Jokes apart, have many more miles of fun in the vehicle! Drive safe..
Old 21st March 2010, 12:55   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) Replaced the factory HU with my old MP3 player. Used a mounting kit (Suzuki Grand Vitara Kit 2006-up, Chassis size E at Crutchfield.com) after removing the stock radio.
Wow, nice to see it is easy to do. I am still sticking with stock. Does the steering wheel audio controls work now?

Quote:
2) Tried installing the skid plates, but couldn't. One of the brackets was meant for LHDs. Wrote to the supplier and got a replacement part, but yet to attempt installation again.
Hope that didn't involve further customs fee.

Quote:
3) Got the 2nd free service (5000 km) done in Motorcraft, Noida. Thanks Sudev for the contact! Motorcraft is a really professional looking MASS, was in and out in a couple of hours.
You drove to Noida already?

Quote:
4) Had a puncture, tear in the tyre was too big to be fixed. Thought I'd replace the tyre, but it costs 9.2k! So got it 'patched' for 500 bucks. Going to use it only as a spare, let's see how that goes.
The stock tyres are very soft. Even I ended up getting a sidewall damage.

Quote:
5) Rotated tyres, balanced and aligned wheels at 9600 km.
I just crossed 20K last week, after 28 months of ownership.

Quote:
6) Removed the spare wheel cover. I think it looks better. Though will need to trim the black circular holder so that it doesn't jut out into the tyre.
I was forced to remove it after upgrading to 235/70R16 tyres. Yeah, it does look good.
Old 21st March 2010, 13:35   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Olmonk nice to see you enjoying your GV. What consumption figures for the whole trip? I feel 2.4 would be giving better average than the underpowered 2.0
Old 22nd March 2010, 01:08   #21
BHPian

Thanks guys for the wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn View Post
what is the mileage you are getting ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
What consumption figures for the whole trip?
Average km/L on the console now shows 9.1 (it was 11.something at 1000 km service). I'm guessing it means average of all the gas consumed so far? Anyway, I tend to be an aggressive driver, so get almost the same in city and highways - anywhere between 9 and 10. Sedate driving (always shift up at 3000rpm, never cross 130 kmph) for a full tank got me 11.5 couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Does the steering wheel audio controls work now?
No.. Unfortunately it is wired (if IR, could have reprogrammed the player), so need to install an adapter inside dashboard behind the HU. There is one available for my player, but will do that during the ICE upgrade later.

Quote:
Hope that didn't involve further customs fee.
No, the supplier gave a dummy invoice showing $0.01 -

Quote:
upgrading to 235/70R16 tyres
How is that working out? I would like to upsize tyres and may be get new alloys later, but getting scared looking at the very little gap that's left between the stock tyre and wheel arch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
4000-odd kms (BLR-NOIDA-BLR)
Quote:
You drove to Noida already?
Yeah didn't mention the road trip since I won't be able to provide pictures or travelogue! Just came back from a 15 day Bangalore-Hyderabad-Varanasi-Delhi-Haridwar/Rishikesh-Udaipur-Bombay-Goa-Bangalore drive.
Old 5th July 2010, 01:02   #22
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, nice to see it is easy to do. I am still sticking with stock. Does the steering wheel audio controls work now?
Question for you Samurai san, does the 2007 GV also have steering wheel mounted audio controls and built in subwoofer like the 2.4?
Old 5th July 2010, 07:23   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai
How is that working out? I would like to upsize tyres and may be get new alloys later, but getting scared looking at the very little gap that's left between the stock tyre and wheel arch.
I am also using 235/70R16's for last 60000kms. No issues with fouling. Even for the Mughal Road Rally I had put in new Yoko's of the same size.
Old 5th July 2010, 08:12   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Question for you Samurai san, does the 2007 GV also have steering wheel mounted audio controls and built in subwoofer like the 2.4?
Yes, it does.

Quote:
I am also using 235/70R16's for last 60000kms. No issues with fouling. Even for the Mughal Road Rally I had put in new Yoko's of the same size.
Sudev, that was not my question. I too have upgraded to Michelin LTX AT2 235/70R16 in Oct 2009.
Old 5th July 2010, 17:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, good to hear that.
Old 5th July 2010, 18:49   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sudev, that was not my question. I too have upgraded to Michelin LTX AT2 235/70R16 in Oct 2009.
@Samurai : San, Sorry for mix up by QUOTE button
Old 15th September 2010, 08:25   #27
BHPian

Hi guys,

does the GV have Hill Descent control? The foreign one's seems to have it, while the Indian Maruti site does not mention it.. nor does it appear in any of the GV threads here.

thanks
shayne
Old 15th September 2010, 09:33   #28
Team-BHP Support

No, only the 3.2L version has that. We don't get that version here. But in manual we don't need that. Just switch to 4L and you get descent control.

Last edited by Samurai : 15th September 2010 at 09:34.
Old 16th September 2010, 12:55   #29
BHPian

Anyone done a lift on the GV in India? With spacers on the springs at least? Looking to make it more off-road worthy, with AT tyres and a 2in lift. There doesnt seem to be any AT tyres in the 225/65R17 size? Nor in 235/65R17. Any suggestions?
Old 21st September 2010, 15:39   #30
BHPian

Skid plates

It was a long time coming (8 months, 17k km), but finally got the skid plates installed yesterday. Went to Sean's garage near Kamanahalli. The mechanics were good - garage didn't have a hoist, car was on a ramp and they had to work lying down - and the installation drawings were detailed, so I was in and out in less than 2 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Vitara 2.4-gv1.jpg  

Grand Vitara 2.4-gv2.jpg  

Grand Vitara 2.4-gv3.jpg  

Grand Vitara 2.4-gv4.jpg  

Grand Vitara 2.4-gv5.jpg  

oldmonk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks