Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 13:15   #211
BHPian

re: Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Hmmm… didn't think of that. I guess you are right. Without full black interiors aluminium finish may not look good. Thanks for pointing that out before I spent money getting it done.
Or perhaps, you can matt finish the wooden shiny stuff so it looks more elegant than glossy!
Old 9th October 2014, 00:25   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Yet another system upgrade:

Replaced the Kenwood DNF9001V system with a Dynavin N6. I was not too happy with the sound quality and the BT features of the Kenwood. Although it was much better than Caska or Blaupunkt Philadelhpia 835 it somehow did not feel right. The blue backlit buttons also seemed out of place in the Skoda where everything else is green. So finally decided to exchange it for Dynavin N6 after a demo.

Coming to the Dynavin N6, almost everything has been discussed till now including the few bugs in this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...koda-cars.html. I would just like the put forward my pros and cons regarding the system.

Pros:
The sound quality is much better than all the CANBUS aftermarket systems I have tried for the Skoda Laura like Caska, Philadelphia 835, Kenwood DNF9001V. Even with the stock speakers its at par with my RCD510+Amp+Diamond Audio components which I have in my VW Polo.

The inbuilt DSP, 24bit Burr Brown DAC, equalizer, time correction etc makes it tuner friendly to get a clean, full sound. Time correction especially makes a lot of difference if you know what you are doing. It also has 4V preamp outputs if anyone is interested in putting aftermarket amps and a higher signal/noise ratio than most other full CANBUS systems.

The in-built Parrot BT module is really fast and efficient. Integrates nicely with the instrument cluster as well. Performance is at par with the OEM 9w7 module. A2DP is clean and fast.

Rear camera with steering guidelines is a nice feature to have. Its not there in any of the systems I tried previously. I changed the camera to a better quality one specifically made for VW which comes with the boot lid button. It sits right in the middle between the license plate lights. Clarity is very good.

The screen resolution and color reproduction is nice and crisp.

Supports audio video in multiple formats

Ease of installation and full CANBUS integration.

Regular firmware updates are promised to further enhance the features and fixing the bugs.

Cons:

The UI could have been better. Its miles ahead of Caska, Philadelpia 835 but still not as classy as maybe the RNS510. The touch sensitivity is good but do not expect an iphone or ipad like responsiveness.

Inability to set the Indian time-zone in the system. I guess this can be easily fixed with a firmware upgrade.

The right scroll button of the steering changes tracks/stations when you are trying to change MFD options. This I find to be quite an irritation as of now.

The iGo primo maps are not very detailed for India.

The initial boot time is around 20-30secs. But the system boot up is initiated the moment doors are unlocked. So by the time we drive out, its up and running. Also while turning off the car, system goes to sleep mode and shuts down completely only after 20 minutes.

A few pics from my side:

The system
Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-dynavinn6.jpg

Changed the boot screen
Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-_dsm0525.jpg

Last edited by robimahanta : 9th October 2014 at 00:35.
robimahanta is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 12:31   #213
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hijack this thread Robi. I have been reading various Laura TSI threads and was wondering where to post. Since I want most of the stuff on your car, I thought why not here.

To start with I need a Laura TSI. Now what is confusing is that though there were I think 4 variants, there also differences in the same variant at different times.
1. Classic
2. Ambiente / Ambition - With Fogs, Rain Sensors and Auto Dimming mirror.
3. Ambiente / Ambition - Without the above.
4. TSI DSG (Let's ignore this one as the probability of finding one is too slim).
5. VRS.

Now which should I buy and why?

What I want to do with it:
1. Remap - Highest possible without changing engine parts.
2. VRS Look or at least skirts and spoiler.
3. Lowered suspension (Bilstein B16 I think is the default upgrade with HR springs)
4. Alloys and Tyres. Already decided on the Momo Raptor Hypersilver 17" (may go for black depending on what colour car I find) . Please suggest tyres.
5. Full black interiors and leather seats.
6. HU like the one Robi has, or what Frankmetha has or the RCD 510. I will need Navigation, the reversing camera, bluetooth, steering mounted controls.
7. VRS steering
8. HID head lamps
9. Honeycomb grill

Based on this which is the best option of the base car from the above list of TSI's. Secondly how much would these mods cost. Thirdly if you were to split these mods into 3 phases how would you club the mods for each phase. Finally how much should the base car cost. I'm looking to calculate the total cost of the project and see if it's feasable for me.

Quoting from other threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd rather buy a cheap stripped down Laura and used the saved $$$ toward my own stereo, alloy wheels and performance rubber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
However, as we are discussing in the past few threads, there are a lot of features missing in this years version of Ambiente.

1. No front Fog Lamps
2. No rain sensing wipers
3. No auto Dimming rear view mirror (not sure if the earlier versions had it)
4. No cooled glove box (although there is cooled storage for the center armrest)
Quote:
Upgraded to 17inch alloys as the 15inch ones dont do justice to this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Fog lamps cost an extra 10K as mentioned by the dealer. However, he also mentioned that the whole wiring harness has to be changed to include the switch for the front fog lamps which would cost extra.
Quote:
I got the alloys changed at the dealership itself. The stock 15" alloys had goodyear NCT tyres and I got the upgrade to 17" alloys with Michellin PP2 with 225/45/R17 profile. The 5th wheel gets a standard steel rim with the tyre upgrade. I am yet to receive the upgrade for the spare wheel as they have no stock of 17" steel rims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
my plan was to buy the cheapest TSI available and put wheels on it myself (assuming that I get 16'' 112 PCD's or whatever comes on skoda).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
a pre-worshipped Laura 1.8 TSI? You can bet that virgin Laura 1.8 TSIs can be had for 6 - 7 lakh rupees in 2013.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 9th August 2015 at 12:32.
Old 9th August 2015, 12:37   #214

I have a somewhat similar question. I was planning an upgrade from my Verna Fluidic 1.6 SX to Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI with DSG. I noticed that the 1.8 TSI engine is tuned for 160 bhp output, while the same engine has a tune level of 180 bhp on the new Octavia. I was wondering if the 160 bhp tune on the Superb can be upgraded to the 180 bhp level without impacting the warranty. Any pointers will be appreciated.
Old 28th August 2015, 13:31   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Yet another system upgrade:

Changed the boot screen
Attachment 1297111
How did you change the boot screen? Is there any way to integrate VW logo into Dynavin screen?
Old 28th August 2015, 14:55   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread Robi. I have been reading various Laura TSI threads and was wondering where to post. Since I want most of the stuff on your car, I thought why not here.

To start with I need a Laura TSI. Now what is confusing is that though there were I think 4 variants, there also differences in the same variant at different times.
1. Classic
2. Ambiente / Ambition - With Fogs, Rain Sensors and Auto Dimming mirror.
3. Ambiente / Ambition - Without the above.
4. TSI DSG (Let's ignore this one as the probability of finding one is too slim).
5. VRS.
My pointers :
  • Get the Ambition (without Fogs and all) : As you would be upgrading all the VRS components, alloys etc. Mine was Ambiton with all options
  • Wait and get a used VRs. (Engine was same as TSi)
  • Scout for a good LnK TDI DSG which has all bells and whistles and remap it
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelust View Post
I have a somewhat similar question. I was planning an upgrade from my Verna Fluidic 1.6 SX to Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI with DSG. I noticed that the 1.8 TSI engine is tuned for 160 bhp output, while the same engine has a tune level of 180 bhp on the new Octavia. I was wondering if the 160 bhp tune on the Superb can be upgraded to the 180 bhp level without impacting the warranty. Any pointers will be appreciated.
If its a Superb TSi AT - Donot Play with it (As DSG has there own share of issues)

If its a Superb TSi MT - Take it to Pete's (180bhp would be easily achievable)
Old 28th August 2015, 15:24   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelust View Post
It's not only the state of tune, Octavia has a different engine.
Old 28th August 2015, 16:50   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
[*]Scout for a good LnK TDI DSG which has all bells and whistles and remap it[/list]
I think I'll skip the TDI option as I already have a Rapid TDI.

Quote:
Suspension : Bilstein B6 sport shock absorbers

Brakes : Tarox G88 Rotors with pads

ECU remap : Custom Code Stage I remap
(approx 200bhp power and 300Nm torque)

Exhaust
: Milltek Sport Cat back

Quote:
Regarding costs kindly PM
Tried to PM you but your inbox is full. I'm interested in knowing the cost of all your mods as I'm interested in doing the same.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th March 2016 at 08:20. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old 4th March 2016, 01:13   #219
BHPian

225/45 R17 - Michelin PS3 vs Conti Sport Contact 3

Hello Robi,

So how does the Conti Sport Contacts fare with respect to the PS3s finally? Understand that you felt the dry grips to be similar. How is the wet grip / road noise / durability with respect to the PS3s? I am looking for options for our Superb. PS3s are on sale again, though they come with only 91 load rating.

- Avinash
Old 4th March 2016, 21:49   #220
Team-BHP Support

Re: 225/45 R17 - Michelin PS3 vs Conti Sport Contact 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Hello Robi,

So how does the Conti Sport Contacts fare with respect to the PS3s finally? Understand that you felt the dry grips to be similar. How is the wet grip / road noise / durability with respect to the PS3s? I am looking for options for our Superb. PS3s are on sale again, though they come with only 91 load rating.

- Avinash
PS3s are superb (no pun intended ). Pick them up without a second thought. Another option is Yoko Advan Sports which IMO are really great tyres, and cheaper than the Michelins. I wouldn't look further than these two.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 22:38   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Hello Robi,

- Avinash

PS3 was brilliant. Conti SPC3 are decent. Maybe about 80% compared to the PS3's. Didnt know PS3's are on sale again, pick them up if they are available.
robimahanta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 23:50   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
PS3s are superb (no pun intended ). Pick them up without a second thought. Another option is Yoko Advan Sports which IMO are really great tyres, and cheaper than the Michelins. I wouldn't look further than these two.
Hi Akshay,

PS3s are excellent.

Did you mean Advan Sport V105? This has a very good review in UK. Is this available in 225 50 R16 size in India?

But the normal Advan Sport does not have a good review. Have you tried it?
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 23:55   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi Akshay,

PS3s are excellent.

Did you mean Advan Sport V105? This has a very good review in UK. Is this available in 225 50 R16 size in India?

Yes Chethan, Advan Sport V105. They have been launched in a few sizes here.

I had used the previous Advan Sport V103 on my Accord V6 and it was an exceptional tyre too.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 03:42   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi Akshay,

PS3s are excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Yes Chethan, Advan Sport V105. They have been launched in a few sizes here.

I had used the previous Advan Sport V103 on my Accord V6 and it was an exceptional tyre too.
I had replaced the 225/50 R16 PS3 on our Laura with Advan Sport V103. This was in March-2015, PS3s were not available then. I had asked for the V105 back then, but they were not available in the size. Also the 225/50 R16 of the V103s were available only as run-flats. I have these running in the Laura and can say the dry grip is at the same level as the PS3s. Stiffer ride, but corners better. From the initial wear pattern, I believe it wont last as long as the PS3s, but still a great tyre.

Quote:
PS3 was brilliant. Conti SPC3 are decent. Maybe about 80% compared to the PS3's. Didnt know PS3's are on sale again, pick them up if they are available.
Yes PS3s in 225/50 R16 and 225/45 R17 are back on sale again. Thing is Superb needs a '94' load rating tyre. PS3s and Advans come only with '91', Continental SPCs are there with '94'. I am not sure if this has to be strictly adhered to, but don't want to take a chance. If it does 80% of the job as PS3s, it should be enough
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 17:21   #225
BHPian

225/45 R17 - Hankook Ventus S1 evo2

Finally picked up a set of Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 tyres instead of the Michelin, Yoko and Contis available in that size. As mentioned before, the car needed a '94' load rating and the same wasn't available in PS3s or Advan Sports. Conti SPC3 had 94 rating tyres, but they are now an older generation.

Hankooks (K117s) had 225/45 R17 in 94Y ratings. They are being fitted as OE for Audi TT/TTS, Mini Cooper S, BMW 3-series, 4-coupe etc. Hankook also positions the same as their flagship tyre and as a max performance summer tyre, against with the likes of PS3s and Advan Sports. The Korean tyre is considerably cheaper too at 11k per tyre. Will see how it performs and lasts, but I say it is another good option to consider in the 225/45 R17 size.

- Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks