Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 17:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Keep on the updates, for the AC, I think Raj has commented that the AC is quite effective in his scorpio, how do you compare it with your earlier scorpio ? Also looking forward to that bullguard, your minor brush with that motorcyclist would have avoided that scratch on the beast.

For the resize, please open the file in MS Paint and save them as JPG, this will reduce the filesize. Also a freeware like Irfanview, you can do batch processing, and can convert "n" number of files into another format, size, resolution etc. This can help in reducing the file size to as low at 70 KB.
Old 31st March 2010, 18:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I am looking for sun film, talked to one and he mentioned to have garware RTO approved one which I am intereseted in, garware provides a certificate of approval is what I am told.
if you are looking for max heat rejection, opt for 3M or V kool.

Quote:
VLX front windshield has rain sensor, has anyone tried using front windshield sun film and does the rain sensor work after the film?
Let me know if I go for film I will be going all around including front windshield, the Garware front windshield film comes with 5 year warranty.

-Pramod
hey, the sensor is just above the central rear view mirror. what installers do in normal circumstances is cut the film in a U shape around the RVM & then paste it. so, i dont think this should be a problem.
Old 31st March 2010, 21:15   #33
BHPian

Gone ahead with garware, all around, I used the lightest one called classic lite, most of the time people would not even notice that I have sun film, which is what I wanted, I don't want to be in any situation where I am stopped becuase of sunfilm, even if the reduction is 20% percent that would be a huge reduction, as I have gone for complete protection, including front windshield the film for front windshield is ice cool from garware, got the warranty card filled up, front 5 year and other 3 year, hope it serve the purpose.

-Pramod
Old 31st March 2010, 23:11   #34
BHPian

Congrats Pramods - I guess I have no choice but to follow you here also as sunfilm seems to be unavoidable expenditure.

How much it cost you. 2008 - I had installed 3M on sides and Garware on windshiled. It came with 2 years warranty on 3M and 3 years on the Garware. Total cost was around 4K for Santro and 4K plus for Scorpio ( two extra windows and size) which I remember vaguely- that front (windshiled) film was the costliest.

Yes, it came with RTO approved certificate kind of slip which the dealer stamped.

I got the same done on Santro too. I remember vividly that Scorpio didnt actually need the films as VLX had something called solar glasses( may be slightly tinted-so they called it solar glasses) and ac in low too used to chill the compartment well. However, with the refreshed one- experience is just dissatisfactory as mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Gone ahead with garware, all around, I used the lightest one called classic lite, most of the time people would not even notice that I have sun film, which is what I wanted, I don't want to be in any situation where I am stopped becuase of sunfilm, even if the reduction is 20% percent that would be a huge reduction, as I have gone for complete protection, including front windshield the film for front windshield is ice cool from garware, got the warranty card filled up, front 5 year and other 3 year, hope it serve the purpose.

-Pramod
Old 1st April 2010, 10:10   #35
BHPian

@Shatrughna: same feeling I didn't had any film on my previous VLX, anyway the total cost for the film came to 4.9K, 3K for the ice cool[front windshield] and 1.9K for the classic lite. I can feel the difference, yesterday morning I had to shift the blower to "2" at the same stretch today I was able to feel the same at "1", feels like its working.

-Pramod
Old 1st April 2010, 23:52   #36
BHPian

Exactly the same from Garware- I also enquird from the local shop here. The after negotiation is Rs 2800/- & 1700/- respectively( MRP 3100 for icecool). Will get it done this weekend( Friday closed) from local shop or if same price then from a little away shop tomorrow. I have to get it done for Skoda also. Santro already has the Garware and 3M films.

If I go for films tomorrow then will shop for bull guard also. What do you feel about the lights (at night). Mostly I feel its adequate - better than previous VLX but still getting tempted to put Xenons. Whats your take?

Quote:
@Shatrughna: same feeling I didn't had any film on my previous VLX, anyway the total cost for the film came to 4.9K, 3K for the ice cool[front windshield] and 1.9K for the classic lite. I can feel the difference, yesterday morning I had to shift the blower to "2" at the same stretch today I was able to feel the same at "1", feels like its working.

-Pramod
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:54   #37
BHPian

Yes, the lights are better than the previous VLX, xenons with projector would be a killer combination, but getting projector is the toughest part!

-Pramod
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:24   #38
BHPian

Ok- so let us start searching for a projector setup. Let me check here in Mumbai. Today most of the shops are closed here- Good Friday and Friday is usual weekly off. So will try tomorrow.
Have you seen the pics of Marvin seat covers (triedeverything's thread) - looks great.
@tanwaramit- can you please, check projector set up if available for scorpio in Delhi.
The HIDs from Philips cost Rs9999/- for a pair with all the wires and ballasts etc(6000k) . but projector setup is not there.
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

Will check it out Shatrughna, however I am not a fan of changing the critical components of the car like light, if not done properly, have seen some short circuit and burning cars.

Let me talk to my friend and get the price, Gurgaon should have an option for this as people have tendency to show off , especially the villagers riding Endy, Scorp & Safari.
Old 5th April 2010, 22:34   #40
BHPian

amit- I wont know how much of highway driving at night you may have experienced and though I was pretty happy with the lights of the new Scorpio- my recent trip to Bihar and back on good old highways which are for a large part on sand and gravel and rocks yet brimming with trucks and dumpers traffic- I seriously felt the need for a good lighting on a vehicle. My Skoda has HID with project set up and I didnt feel the need but on this 'yes' it will be a good addition.

Problem is mostly the guys dont use dipper even when they see oncoming vehicle and where there is harsh beam on the right side at least one should be able to see the road in front and left side as sometimes the roads are unmarked and unpaved without walls and that could be dangerous. On the otherside, if you use dipper while you have equally blinding/ bright light - most often the other driver's attention is drawn and they reciprocate as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Will check it out Shatrughna, however I am not a fan of changing the critical components of the car like light, if not done properly, have seen some short circuit and burning cars.

Let me talk to my friend and get the price, Gurgaon should have an option for this as people have tendency to show off , especially the villagers riding Endy, Scorp & Safari.
Old 5th April 2010, 23:25   #41
BHPian

Sunday spent sometime with Shrek at an accessories shop. Installed the following.
1. Windows film- garware classic lite on sides and rear- 1700- plus Icecool shild for front windshield- 2800/- with 3 years and 5 years warranty respectively.
2. Roots -windtone horns( pair) with a switch 760/- including labour, wire an switch to turn it off in the cabin. Fixed it on the two mounts given on each side of the anti-theft alarm siren .

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-021.jpg

3.Front bull guard- Classic -Thunder-4600/-

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-039.jpg

4.Rear Guard- 2000/- ( well it now fits so well and doesnt interfere with the parking sensors at all.
Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-037.jpg

5. Some car freshners and room freshners- 420( 2 cans and 1 standard bottle -fixed at idol stand position on dash.
6.Jopasu glass cleaner, car polish 3 bottles for 70/- each and plastic and paint spray for dashboard 250/- .

I also saw an imported leather protector spray costing 800/- but was advised to better go for waxol polish which will be way cheaper.

Have placed orders for leather steering wrap (300/-)and seat covers- simple ones 2500/- which will be done this weekend.
Old 6th April 2010, 16:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the bullguards, the Thunder made me smile, looks impressive. are you planning for reverse camera ? Though the reverse parking sensors do the job, still just asking.

Also, where did you get Jopasu stuff from? Ordering from ebay takes its own sweet time.

Seat covers -- Are you making the gaadi a government vehicle like the seat covers on an Ambassador ? White Scorpio anyway, makes it more evident

On the night driving, yes, I havent done much of that on the highway, you guessed it right.

Tell me one thing, what is blue about bluevision lamps of new scorpio ?

Last edited by tanwaramit : 6th April 2010 at 16:22.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:03   #43
BHPian

Its not "pure blue" but you can observe the "slight change" in color if you focus the light against a white background like boundary wall or some thing, then only you can make out that its not yellow it has a tint of white/blue, that Mahindra advertise as bluevision. I am also looking at bi-xenon projector, but it looks like a lot of work to get that here in India and then get it fitted, will keep trying or else will have the bull bar and put 2 extra light on them !!

-Pramod
Old 6th April 2010, 22:41   #44
BHPian

with two kids at home- who love to keep munching something or the lese in vehicle- I have already tried without seat covers for a month and prudence says thatI should get one fitted. Besides, this car is the only 4X4 in our small Mumbai gang and everyone seems to have been bitten by the bug of offroading and invariably there are other fans who will rightfully drive the vehicle-so it makes sense to put a seat cover.

No camera as never felt the need - though liked the camera in safari as well as in the endeavour that I took for a test drive. Putting a camera would also necessitate changing the music system and I would like one with GPS, Bluetooth etc- which will mean additional expense of around 30-40grands, hence, dropped the idea.

Of course, fitting lightforce or hellas on the bull bar seems to be better option rather than the xenons without the projector set up.

Bluevision is the brand by philips. The bulbs are halogen 55/60w ( as others) but the beam throw is lil different as pramod has mentioned. The bulbs also if you see carefully are bluish and not clear lamps. Lights are better than normal halogens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Good to see the bullguards, the Thunder made me smile, looks impressive. are you planning for reverse camera ? Though the reverse parking sensors do the job, still just asking.

Also, where did you get Jopasu stuff from? Ordering from ebay takes its own sweet time.

Seat covers -- Are you making the gaadi a government vehicle like the seat covers on an Ambassador ? White Scorpio anyway, makes it more evident

On the night driving, yes, I havent done much of that on the highway, you guessed it right.

Tell me one thing, what is blue about bluevision lamps of new scorpio ?
Quote:
Its not "pure blue" but you can observe the "slight change" in color if you focus the light against a white background like boundary wall or some thing, then only you can make out that its not yellow it has a tint of white/blue, that Mahindra advertise as bluevision. I am also looking at bi-xenon projector, but it looks like a lot of work to get that here in India and then get it fitted, will keep trying or else will have the bull bar and put 2 extra light on them !!

-Pramod
Do let me know what you finally decide. The bull guard vibrates a lot when running as I observed and dont know whether it will adversely affect the extra bulbs fitted on it. In the meantime, I will be on the lookout still for projector set up and I am sure it would be available somewhere in Mumbai/Delhi as it has a great fan following and where there is demand - supply is bound to happen.
Old 16th April 2010, 00:47   #45
BHPian

@Amit - any update on your booking? Also waiting for your news about any innovative ideas on the gear lock for AT. I saw a post by Manukrishna with beautiful lights added on his scorpio. He had mentioned that those were shaktiman( army 3 tonners') lights from scrapyard and installed at a very nominal amount. Do you ever venture towards such places. Do read the post and view pics on the - All Scorpio owners thread - and revert , please.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks