Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 22:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Its quite similar to S-with-paddles + CC; no up/down shift whatsoever.
Aha. I didn't try that combination yet! Lot more to try out . In S mode with paddles, downshift does happen, but not for quick pickup, but when speed falls below the threshold for the current gear, to prevent stalling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Call me the uninitiated, I am not aware of the functionality of the S mode in the AT version. I agree a lot of discussions have happened on the same in the forum but I did not evince too much of an interest as I was sure I would be buying only the MT. Now my question is:
With the cruise engaged, can I still change gears ? Are there any risks associated with it and is it the right practice ?
CC basically controls gas pedal. So I dont think CC will remain engaged when clutch is pressed as it may cause engine over-revving without load. Now if the car does allow it, then it may not be a good practice. In case of AT in D mode, CC will try to maintain the speed, irrespective of the load, incline, turns or road surface. So this should be used with care in uneven, twisty or slippery roads.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Here is the section from the owners manual.
Quote:
You can cancel cruise control in any of these ways:
Tap the brake or clutch pedal.
Push the CANCEL button on the steering wheel.
So that means you cant change gear with CC engaged.
Old 25th March 2010, 15:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Here is the section from the owners manual.
Thanks for the insight mate. I did stumble upon this piece of information last night while going through the owner's manual.
Old 25th March 2010, 20:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
In AT, with CC engaged, paddles can be used to shift up/down. In S+paddles, it stays in that gear and CC will manage to get to the set speed in the same gear or downshifts if needed. Sorry, my previous post was ambiguous. Vasoo, you are right.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:36   #35
BHPian

@RR_ZEN

Did you go for Sunfilm ? if so which ones and where and how much it costed ?
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on buying and owning a remarkable machine.Owning a Honda in India is a dream for many.

Can you post pics of the interiors. Also what kind of fuel do you use.Premium or regular.Read in some posts on tbhp that Honda recommends to use fuel with a different octane rating or so.
Old 4th April 2010, 19:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
@RR_ZEN

Did you go for Sunfilm ? if so which ones and where and how much it costed ?
I went in for 3M sunfilm as ever. CR70 on the front and RE35 on the sides and rear. I must say the heat rejection qualities of CR70 are commendable. The entire thing cost me 11300 INR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Congrats on buying and owning a remarkable machine.Owning a Honda in India is a dream for many.

Can you post pics of the interiors. Also what kind of fuel do you use.Premium or regular.Read in some posts on tbhp that Honda recommends to use fuel with a different octane rating or so.
Thanks for your wishes. Honda recommends regular unleaded fuel that is available at our petrol pumps. I guess the octane rating is 91 if am correct.

Will post some pics soon.
Old 11th April 2010, 11:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Third week of ownership and my 1000th post !

Took the car for a long drive over last weekend and managed to cover around 250 kms during the trip. Max speed touched was 110 kmph (without my knowledge, of course!). Handling is superb and inspires more and more confidence to clock higher speeds.

Total distance on the odo so far is 473kms. I know that this is not acceptable and where one should be with the Civic after 3 weeks of ownership but the fact remains that my primary drive to work is my good old trusted workhorse, the Esteem. The Civic is a weekend car currently and hope to use it more over the coming weeks.

The FE indicator reads 13.3 kmpl (60% highway and 40% city driving) and I expect it to go up as I add more kms to the odo.

OT: Incidentally, my 1000th post on TBHP !

Some pics taken during my last weekend drive:
Attached Thumbnails
My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-img_1561_1.jpg  

My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-img_1563_1.jpg  

My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-img_1568_1.jpg  

My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-img_1570_1.jpg  

My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-img_1573_1.jpg  

My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-img_1618_1.jpg  

My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-img_1622_1.jpg  

Last edited by rr_zen : 11th April 2010 at 11:10.
Old 12th April 2010, 10:33   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice pictures, cars lookin' good! I'm off for the first road-trip with my Civic this weekend. Best part is, I'm not going on a boring expressway. Instead, its a road with long straights, fast corners, quick ghat sections and ample overtaking opportunity. I simply cannot wait to high-revv that engine and get a "feel" of the car this saturday.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:36   #40
BHPian

Congrats rr_zen, Nice purchase. Lovely pics, car looks great in that color. Truly a dream machine. Keep updating the thread with pics and reports.

Enjoy, Drive Safe .
Old 12th April 2010, 12:21   #41
BHPian

congratulations on your 1000th post. Great pictures there. It is so hard to resist the temptation of revving a VTEC esp within the run-in period. I am already past 4k and am starting to explore the true potential of VTEC. Last week was one such opportunities on NICE and NH4 on the way to Shimoga from Bangalore. The roar of the engine after 120KM/hr is such a sooting music to the ears. Well done Honda!
Old 11th May 2010, 15:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

1st Free Service

Time for the first free service and hence I do not get time on a week day, scheduled it on a Saturday. It was exactly 1 month and 6 days since I had taken delivery of the car and the odo read 573 kms. I know this is not an impressive number and I wanted to clock at least close to 800kms before going in for the first service. Unfortunately, I couldn't do this as the Esteem is still my primary ride and the Civic the weekend car.

Total cost of Service: Rs 0 INR.

Nothing major was done during the service and it was more a check-up per se. I had two complaints (minor ones though):

1. Mild clutch shudder when releasing it in 1st gear.
2. Horn sound fading out when honked continuously and applying simultaneously.

Both the above issues were not rectified to my satisfaction. I am yet to go back to them for a review on this.

Also, I had asked them to fix the aftermarket side step garnish (which I procured through the help of Manu aka mkc15 from Bangalore - thanks Manu) on my car during the service. This was carried out for which I shelled out Rs 500/- towards labour. I was not too happy with the results here as well but it can only be attributed to the product I provided them with. Nevertheless, it looks good in the night. Attaching some pics of the same. (The wires can still be seen and they need to be covered appropriately which I propose to do this weekend.)

Since Olympia Honda were celebrating their first anniversary, they offered a complimentary polishing job for the exterior.
Attached Thumbnails
My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-img_1722.jpg  

My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-img_1723.jpg  

My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-img_1724.jpg  

Old 24th July 2010, 23:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

2nd Free Service @ 1000 kms

2nd free Service @ 1000 kms

It was time for the second service despite the fact that I had not been able to put in many kms on the odo. The issues(minor niggles)brought up by me during the 1st service had not been addressed and hence I went back with the same issues hoping for a fix at least this time. The shudder I experience in 1st gear at speeds less that 10 kmph is an irritant everyday and ruins an otherwise pleasant drive.I noticed that this shudder is due to a vibration under the bonnet.This is also briefly felt when switching off the car.

Question for MT Civic owners - Has anyone experienced a similar issue ?

I demonstrated this issue to the SA who acknowledged the fact and said would look into it for sure. The other complaint I had was the driver side door's handle which was a tad hard to operate and not as smooth as the other doors.

The car was ready by 3pm and I went to pick it up around 5pm. The shudder/vibration seemed to have gone and I was delighted.The door handle was lubricated with grease but I did not see any noticeable difference. I was told to use it for sometime and come back if I still had an issue. The cost of service was zero just like the first service.

I would have barely covered a km when I started experiencing the shudder once again. I couldnt go back to the service center immediately as I had some other work to attend to. This has left me disappointed and unhappy. I did not leave it at that and tried to release the clutch a little faster while accelerating and I seem to overcome it. However, this is not practically possible every time I start from a full stop, thanks to the bumper to bumper traffic inside the city during peak hours.

Otherwise, the car is 4 months old and its been a delight to live with. Highway driving is excellent and the car handles high speeds with aplomb. For a person who is not comfortable going beyond 110-120 kmph in the Esteem, the Civic inspires confidence to clock speeds over and above 120-130 kmph. City driving has not been a pleasure always with the Civic given the traffic and pathetic roads but I guess one has little choice but to live with it. FE continues to hover around 11-12 kmpl but am prepared to wait and watch till I put in more kms on the odo.

Managed to give it a 3M detailing job over the last two weekends covering the exterior and the underchassis as well.

A small yet significant addition: In an era where the trend is towards de-badging the rides for a clean look, I chose to go the opposite way, adding a moniker on both fenders akin to what is seen on Civics in gulf countries. The thirst for this started during my trip to Qatar in Dec last, even before I bought the Civic. I found the emblem '1.8 iVTEC' on all Civics I saw there appealing and wanted to have them for my car when I bought it. Once I bought the car, I had my father-in-law get them for me from Qatar. Costed me 270 QR which is pricey for sure but I am immensely happy with it. Some snaps with the emblem below.
Attached Thumbnails
My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-img_1768.jpg  

My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-img_1773.jpg  

My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-img_1769.jpg  

Old 25th July 2010, 00:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hi, do you feel the shudder while releasing the clutch pedal.. if yes.. ask the service people to drain the clutch fluid and refill it. there may be some air which can result in shudder. (just my guess from a prevous experience we had with lancer but no harm in trying).

If this doesnt work, check for all engine mountings.. all it may need is a slight adjustment. ask service people to loosen up bolts of the engine mountings and start the car. when the engine comes to its right position, tighten them back.

These are my guesses based on a experience we had with the lancer when one of the engine mountings went kaput.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 25th July 2010 at 00:34.
Old 25th July 2010, 00:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
FE continues to hover around 11-12 kmpl
Is this based on the in-dash display? Or manually calculated tankful to tankful?

Btw, the badges look cool !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks