Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 12:23   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally Fortunate ! Toyota Fortuner (Dealer trouble mentioned inside)

The Fortuner finally came home 2 weeks back after a 6 month wait ! It wasn't an easy task getting this car, I will mention the reasons below.
But first, here are my impressions of the car:

Like:
- It's a pretty damn good looking SUV, especially in the color we got, White (pictures will be uploaded shortly) All that chrome gives it a premium look without being too loud. Also have added Llumar tints this time in true SUV fashion- 35% VLT from rear and 50%VLT for just driver and passenger side window. Black tints on a white car looks super !

- Interiors aren't that bad as they are made out to be. Yes the Endy dash does seem more modern but the Fortuner's dash is defiantly far more appealing than the Innova as was being made out. I was looking to change the HU to a touchscreen or fancy double din to give the dash a modern look but have given up that thought for now as the current HU although not modern, blends well with the dash. Especially at night the HU display and AC control display match well.

- Great climate control

- Good interior space

- Seating position is much better than the Endy. Especially the rear that is raised and not floor level like the Ford. Driver visibility is good but left side can be a problem hence have order the fender mirror (Rs.5500 with painting, delivery time 3 days)

- Suspension and capability of eating up potholes is much better than the Endy

Dislikes:

- Interior plastics could be better

- Although equipment level is at par with competition, I can't help but compare this to our Superb since both costed the same. And when that comparison is made the Fortuner feels pretty damn basic.

- Body roll. It does not like to be throw around corners

- Brake feel is still spongy. Not sure if the upgraded brakes are in my car, will get it checked at 1000km service.

- Dealer (Details below)

Shinrai Toyota = Frauds ?

After having used the Endeavor for over 4 years it was time to upgrade but there were no options in the market. I had been waiting for the Fortuner for over a year. I called Shinrai the day the bookings opened and they didn't seem too interested in taking the bookings as waiting period had crossed 8 months in 8 hours !!
So finally they sent me a test drive car and I made the booking the same day, in Sept. I kept following up with their sales manager who had one standard line when I asked him for my order number or status " Sir i will update you in 15 mins" This went on for months.
Then I read about premiums that were being offered on white color fortuners, i sensed some foul play with my booking. Fed up with Shinrai's non responsiveness I sent a mail to Toyota via their website. Within an hour I got a phone call from the company, explained them my problem and by the end of the day got 3 calls from Shinrai informing me my car was 15th in line now, delivery expected in May !
I remembered clearly that when I had filled out the order form the sales rep wrote down max waiting time 6 months and it was almost time! I asked them to fax me my original order form, they fumbled and after much delay the form came. But with a rude shock: My signatures had be forged !! Date of the order form was now October, waiting time 9 months and color Silver instead of white !
I took the matter up with the highest authorizes at Shinrai, the owner and VP. The denied the allegations, but at the end of the day I just wanted my car ASAP. I threatened to report the matter to Toyota unless the car was delivered before march end and color HAS to be white only. They tried to convince me to take a silver but I stuck to my ground, wrong had been done and I wasn't willing to compromise, finally a white one came home on 28th March.
Now what premium my original booking car went for is anyones guess
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2010, 12:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sahil. Looking forward to the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
. Driver visibility is good but left side can be a problem hence have order the fender mirror (Rs.5500 with painting, delivery time 3 days)
Is this an electric or a regular mirror? I am guessing it's a regular one. 5500 sounds damn expensive for a regular mirror.

Quote:
Shinrai Toyota = Frauds ?
Shocking behavior. Reminds me of Sundaram during the Palio heydays.

Last edited by Gilead : 7th April 2010 at 13:03.
Old 7th April 2010, 13:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post

Shocking behavior. Reminds me of Sundaram during the Palio heydays.

Well it is not a regular mirror. Its got two part vision, shows the front and left side of the car. But yes it is pricey.
Old 7th April 2010, 13:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
.. But with a rude shock: My signatures had be forged !! Date of the order form was now October, waiting time 9 months and color Silver instead of white !
I took the matter up with the highest authorizes at Shinrai, the owner and VP. The denied the allegations, but at the end of the day I just wanted my car ASAP. I threatened to report the matter to Toyota unless the car was delivered before march end and color HAS to be white only. They tried to convince me to take a silver but I stuck to my ground, wrong had been done and I wasn't willing to compromise, finally a white one came home on 28th March.
Now what premium my original booking car went for is anyones guess
Forged signature !! if this ought to be true then its a serious matter. not informing to toyota is okay from the point that you atleast got your vehicle now. With this information available on public forum now people may be more aware.

Congratulations on the fortuner though!
Old 7th April 2010, 14:19   #5
BHPian

Congrats on the beast. At the end of the day it must seem worth it.
On some part its also the company's fault. I mean waiting 9 months for a car is kind of strange.
And they forged your signatures and you are still paying for the mirror?
Old 7th April 2010, 14:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

You should not have left them off that easy. What if they denied giving you a white car?

Things like this should not be left and I would suggest that you do write to Toyota and save other prospective customers the same trouble.

Also, didnt you take a copy of the same with you initially or rather ask for one. I did when I took my car of almost every document they had. Sometimes they say no etc, but you have a right to demand
Old 7th April 2010, 14:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

finally you got the car after a long time, I thought you were seriously considering buying the same from Delhi if offered in a weeks time.

Very sad to see the fraud being done by dealer esp forging signature, however that helped you got your car faster with that complain pull longing on the dealer.

Its really sad that Toyota is not able to sort out the mismanagement of their dealers for Fortuner bookings, though Toyota as a company has managed everything about everything quite well.

Pics awaited.
Old 7th April 2010, 15:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Salil! Pictures awaited.

About the Dealer, I'm shocked. This should have been reported to Toyota. Also you should have threatened to go to court and then ask them give a good discount on the car which is being sold on premium. A penalty for the mal practice.
Old 7th April 2010, 15:30   #9
BHPian

Congrats Sahil, Fortuner looks excellent in white.
Enjoy the ride and drive safe !!!
Old 7th April 2010, 15:32   #10
BHPian

Congrats Sahil on finally getting your Fortune...r!!(pun intented).
However the brakes are much better than the earlier lot, not that spongy.

I have done about 2500 kms on mine, including a trip to upper Dharamsala and Mcloedganj.
The ride is quiet bumpy on poor roads but still much better than Endeavour any day.

Not Trying to hijack you thread, but any idea on the F.E. you are getting? I got 11 kmpl on a round trip from Delhi to Mcleodganj & back Full time a.c. on. Which i think is great 'coz i get about 12kmpl on my Innova.

BTW, Did you get those door visors as well?
I saw all the accessories being on sale as a set (Chrome set, Door Set, etc) at aftermarket accessories shops, here in Delhi.

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 7th April 2010 at 15:47.
Old 7th April 2010, 15:38   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
You should not have left them off that easy. What if they denied giving you a white car?

Things like this should not be left and I would suggest that you do write to Toyota and save other prospective customers the same trouble.

Also, didnt you take a copy of the same with you initially or rather ask for one. I did when I took my car of almost every document they had. Sometimes they say no etc, but you have a right to demand
That's another reasons why I didn't make a bigger issue of it because it was foolish on my part to not keep a copy of the order form. But anyways, it's a lesson well learnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
And they forged your signatures and you are still paying for the mirror?
I can't be bothered to haggle with them anymore. At the end of the day, I did manage to save a lot as they let go of their "policy" that insurance and registration MUST be done by them. Doing those myself have saved me close to 50k !
Old 7th April 2010, 15:41   #12
bhp
BHPian

Congrats sahil...i would say its worth the wait.
i saved 20k as well on insurance which was done by the dealer himself..
how much did the registration cost you ??
lakozy charged me 3,20,000/- for company registration thane but the reciept i recieved is only of 3,07,000/-
rest they say are service charges

Last edited by bhp : 7th April 2010 at 15:48.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:01   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
Congrats sahil...i would say its worth the wait.
i saved 20k as well on insurance which was done by the dealer himself..
how much did the registration cost you ??
lakozy charged me 3,20,000/- for company registration thane but the reciept i recieved is only of 3,07,000/-
rest they say are service charges
The "service charge" is no more than 3000rs if you get it done via an agent directly.
Old 7th April 2010, 18:12   #14
BHPian

Contrats ! Alls weel that ends well.
Wish you many a safe miles.

OT : I know one of my bosses picked up a White Fortuner last month, he was cribbing he had to pay around 5 % of the ex showroom cost as a premium for quick delivery.I heard the showroom guys accounted this as different express transportation cost from the factory to Mumbai !
God knows whats true !
Old 7th April 2010, 18:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

forged signature!! Just as a learning for all of us, going on we all should keep a photo copy (xerox) of order form. Surely that will help us fight these cheaters!

Anyways now that you have goy your Fortuner, enjoy the HUGE Toyota. Have safe ride ahead.

We want pics please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks