Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2011, 17:43   #136
Senior - BHPian

Just got a call from World class automobiles, VW dealer, saying that extended warranty of 2 years/till 1lac kms is now available for Rs.7200. That makes it 4 yrs/1lac kms. Will buy it next month.

I am pretty happy, certainly a welcome move from VW India.

In between, its 19k kms on clock and 8k kms since head change and all is well.

Edit : the extended warranty can be bought anytime till august. Dad says he received a message stating same some 10 days back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinsumant

Coming to your comment "Its the initial batch of Polo which had the problem of compresion leaks"
Boss !!! my Polo is from the first batch Manufactured in May and just getting worried big time...
Already facing a Driver side Power Window occassional problem.

But What is this Compression leak about ?? Is the engine Icon the only way you got to know of it or did your polo start misbehaving as an indicator..?.
I believe I missed your post, apologies for late reply.

The first batch of polo was December 2009 till march 2010. If your car is manufactured in may 2010, it shouldn't be an issue. If you bought your car in may 2010, it can be from 1st batch.

The car had some vibration from day one, I thought it's normal 3 cylinder trait. Mostly my brother and dad drives the car and they couldnt feel increase in vibration. So, it was only when engine check light came in, I went to ASC to get it checked.

If you are worried, you may ask ASC to check the compression. Won't take long.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 20th May 2011 at 17:57.
Old 20th May 2011, 18:32   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Its Red,it looks Sporty & its the VW Polo Edit:Engine head change at 6 months,10K

Sorry that I came across this thread so late. But that was one big bill of a lac plus.
But good that it ended on a happy note for you. Initial batches of the cars always have come niggles. But this is mother of all niggles.
That explains the usual Indian mentality is to wait for at least 6 months up to an year monitoring the whole scene around the car before plonking the cash down.
Old 20th June 2011, 23:13   #138
Senior - BHPian

Re: Its Red,it looks Sporty & its the VW Polo Edit:Engine head change at 6 months,10K

20.5k kms on the clock and All is Well.. Dad took the car to Dehradun and was very pleased by the car's Highway manners. Despite the fact that the road is not good throughout from Delhi to Dehradun, he found the car to be very comfortable. Only thing he complaint about was that the cluch pedal, which has a long trouble make things bad in bumper to bumper traffic. He got stuck for over 2.5 hours in total at 2 places and found that using clutch constantly was a trouble. However, he added that the rev happy 1.2 compensates a lot, in not giving you that heavy car feeling in bumper to bumper traffic. Overall, he was delighted. Cruised at 80 on good stretches and the FE came out to be 14.5kmpl despite the jam he got stuck in.

He also noted that the AC is very good even on long drives. Despite the fact that the car doesnt have sun films and have artificial leather, the AC did a pretty good job to make things cozy...

Before he went to Dehrarun, I check all fluids, tyres and brake pads. Needed to top up about 400+ ml of oil to get the level back to optimum. That makes it 400+ ml in under 6k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
That explains the usual Indian mentality is to wait for at least 6 months up to an year monitoring the whole scene around the car before plonking the cash down.
We bought Alto 1.1 on 11th day after its launch, damn, 3.95 lac for a car without power steering..shuu. But I must say it never had any major issues till 1.2 lac kms.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 20th June 2011 at 23:25.
Old 21st June 2011, 22:18   #139
BHPian

re: Its Red,it looks Sporty & its the VW Polo *Update* 30k/2 years and All is Well!

Hi Gaurav, here are complete details if Extended Warranty Program for Polo.

Extended Warranty Program (Polo/Vento/Jetta/Passat)

This program will be applicable for the 3rd & 4th year or upto 100000 kms from the date of Sales, whichever is earlier after the expiry of primary warranty of 2 years/unlimited kms.

This Extended Warranty shall commence on the expiry of the primary warranty.

List of Components Covered:

1.Engine
2.Manual Gearbox
3.Automatic Gearbox
4.Suspension and Steering
5.Braking System
6.Fuel System
7.Fuel Injection System
8.Air Conditioning
9.Electrical System
10.Oil Seals

Parts not covered:

1.Routine Maintenance Service Jobs
2.Parts Subject to normal Wear & Tear
3.Consumables
4.Rubber & Plastic Items

Any outer fitment done from any local vendor will void the entire warranty of the Vehicle.

Prices:

Polo (Petrol) Rs.7,199/-
Polo (Diesel) Rs.7,899/-
Vento (Petrol) Rs.10,599/-
Vento (Diesel) Rs.11,199/-
Jetta Rs.6,500/-
Passat Rs.13,500/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Just got a call from World class automobiles, VW dealer, saying that extended warranty of 2 years/till 1lac kms is now available for Rs.7200. That makes it 4 yrs/1lac kms. Will buy it next month.
I am pretty happy, certainly a welcome move from VW India.
In between, its 19k kms on clock and 8k kms since head change and all is well.
Edit : the extended warranty can be bought anytime till august. Dad says he received a message stating same some 10 days back.
Omega Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 22:57   #140
Senior - BHPian

re: Its Red,it looks Sporty & its the VW Polo *Update* 30k/2 years and All is Well!

Bought extended warranty for the car this Monday. What a relief I tell you, was always worried about the reliability ever since the engine head got replaced. Now, I dont have to worry about major parts atleast till 1 lac kms/4 years. Paid Rs.7199 for the same. Hope I never have to use it. Good move VW. You may not be very reliable but atleast I see the effort to serve customers better. Still to get the warranty certificate and details. Will get them by mail, hopefully by tomorrow.

I dont want to be repetitive but I must say again that the work done by World class automobiles (VW dealer) is comendable. Not even a single niggling issue related to engine ever since the head is changed.

Also missed updating this in January. In January 2011, VW refunded me the taxi fare of under Rs.8,000/- for the 9 days, for the time when the car was at dealership for head change. I gave taxi bill to the dealership for 9 days when my brother/dad used a cab to commute and I got a cheque at my place within a week. VW couldnt provide a loaner vehicle, so they refunded the taxi fare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
here are complete details of Extended Warranty Program for Polo.
Thanks a ton mate.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 14th July 2011 at 23:17.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 23:20   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bought extended warranty for the car this Monday. What a relief I tell you, was always worried about the reliability ever since the engine head got replaced. Now, I dont have to worry about major parts atleast till 1 lac kms/4 years. Paid Rs.7199 for the same. Hope I never have to use it. Good move VW. You may not be very reliable but atleast I see the effort to serve customers better. Still to get the warranty certificate and details. Will get them by mail, hopefully by tomorrow.

I dont want to be repetitive but I must say again that the work done by World class automobiles (VW dealer) is comendable. No even a single niggling issue related to engine ever since the head is changed.

Also missed updating this in January. In January 2011, VW refunded me the taxi fare of under Rs.8,000/- for the 9 days, for the time when the car was at dealership for head change. I gave taxi bill to the dealership for 9 days when my brother/dad used a cab to commute and I got a cheque at my place within a week. VW couldnt provide a loaner vehicle, so they refunded the taxi fare.

Thanks a ton mate.
WOW Gaurav, that's really nice to hear.
VW seems to be really making an effort to enhance the customer service.
The refund for the taxi bills is just awesome, particularly in this part of the world where there is no consumer protection law and the seller can easily exploit the consumers.
Big Thumbs up to VW from my side.
Also, the price for extended warranty seems reasonable. I am pretty sure Hyundai charges more for 2 year extended warranty.

Hope you have many more years of trouble-free ownership.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 10:45   #142
BHPian

Quote:
20.5k kms on the clock and All is Well.. Dad took the car to Dehradun and was very pleased by the car's Highway manners. Despite the fact that the road is not good throughout from Delhi to Dehradun, he found the car to be very comfortable. Only thing he complaint about was that the cluch pedal, which has a long trouble make things bad in bumper to bumper traffic. He got stuck for over 2.5 hours in total at 2 places and found that using clutch constantly was a trouble. However, he added that the rev happy 1.2 compensates a lot, in not giving you that heavy car feeling in bumper to bumper traffic. Overall, he was delighted. Cruised at 80 on good stretches and the FE came out to be 14.5kmpl despite the jam he got stuck in.

He also noted that the AC is very good even on long drives. Despite the fact that the car doesnt have sun films and have artificial leather, the AC did a pretty good job to make things cozy...

Before he went to Dehrarun, I check all fluids, tyres and brake pads. Needed to top up about 400+ ml of oil to get the level back to optimum. That makes it 400+ ml in under 6k kms.
Yeah, highway manners of Polo is just impeccable and no wonders, it should get better and better with more kms on the odo. 14.5 kmpl is really good mileage for the conditions you've said.

My Polo has done about 2500 so far within 40 days & already I'm able to feel the car getting better. Starting to feel butter smooth . Just that the rear left tire got punctured yesterday after being penetrated by a nail. Thanks to the tubeless tire, my dad was able to see the tire getting flattened out gradually. Otherwise, things are pretty fine!
Old 15th July 2011, 12:33   #143
Senior - BHPian

@Adimicra, thanks for the support posts all this while mate..

VW certainly getting things right. Their services have been good. When I went to get the extended warranty, I asked Mr.Jatin (senior technician) to have a look at the car to make sure everything is fine. Despite the fact that it was 5:30 in the evening and the ASC was packed, he managed to take out 10 mins to check the car and take a lttle drive to cofirm that things are fine .

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The refund for the taxi bills is just awesome, particularly in this part of the world where there is no consumer protection law and the seller can easily exploit the consumers.
Certainly, I havent seen any company doing this, atleast with a car in this segment or even one above..

Quote:
I am pretty sure Hyundai charges more for 2 year extended warranty.
Dont talk about Hyundai man, they are getting arrogant by the day, went to take a test drive of verna with a friend and here's what happened. My Friend: we want test drive of verna diesel.
SE: no test drive vehicle available sir, even the waiting is for 8 months.
Friend and me:
Friend: when can you arrange one for a TD
SE: not sometime soon sir
Friend: Thanks.

The SE didnt even bother to take our number. Have convinced my friend to increase the budget (10 lacs) a little and buy a cruze.. He should book it sometime next week..

Quote:
Hope you have many more years of trouble-free ownership.

Thanks a lot again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
Yeah, highway manners of Polo is just impeccable and no wonders, it should get better and better with more kms on the odo. 14.5 kmpl is really good mileage for the conditions you've said.
Drive any car sedately on highway and you will be surpised by the figures you get. Even my 2.0 cedia returned 12 on 1/4 of that stretch..which normally does 10-11 in delhi city traffic. And, yes not only is the handling of Polo a benchmark in its segment, its comfort too is.

Quote:
My Polo has done about 2500 so far within 40 days & already I'm able to feel the car getting better. Starting to feel butter smooth .
Wait till 8-10k kms and you will see a considerable difference.

Quote:
Just that the rear left tire got punctured yesterday after being penetrated by a nail.
Touchwood, not even a single punchure in over 22k kms. And yes, tubeless are definitely much better..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 15th July 2011 at 12:35.
Old 16th July 2011, 21:51   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Also missed updating this in January. In January 2011, VW refunded me the taxi fare of under Rs.8,000/- for the 9 days, for the time when the car was at dealership for head change. I gave taxi bill to the dealership for 9 days when my brother/dad used a cab to commute and I got a cheque at my place within a week. VW couldnt provide a loaner vehicle, so they refunded the taxi fare
Wow!, this is excellent, hope VW continue these sort of things in the future too.
Old 3rd December 2011, 00:25   #145
Senior - BHPian

Well, its over 26k kms on the clock and the car is doing great. Over 11k kms since last service and 15k kms since head change and not a single issue (touchwood). I drove the car over a long stretch (over 100kms) today after couple of weeks and it felt good revving the engine. The engine response is good and upto 120-130 it shows no signs of strain. A heavy foot like me does feel lack of power on every emplty stretch but for in city drives the 1.2 petrol is excellent. Feels peppy and easy to revv.

Further, if you dont have a heavy foot and drive easy on highways, you will not complain about the lack of power from this three cylinder mill. However, anything over 130 makes you feel that the engine is now in its top band. Although, 160 can be seen on the OD, the car will take a little time to reach there.

The handling of this car is still a benchmark (havent driven the new swift), and it can give many of the car (even from a segment above), a run for its money. Even on crappy Apollos, the car handled well, a small run with stock civic around chanakya puri area was fun. Although, the civic made an absolute mince meat of the 1.2 polo on straights, on the roundabouts, I was able to catch up with the civic. I absolutely love the way this thing handles, despite the not so great electric steering. I am pretty sure the 1.6 wont be far from the benchmark cedia with 195/205 s drives..

The apollos have lost it at over 26k kms. Road noise has gone up considerably and under heavy braking, the car's wheels lock in no time. Even the swift with 165s dont lock soo easily. Next change should be to Yoko A-Drives or MRF ZLOs or Bridgestones.. lets see..

The gearbox on this thing can give any manual transmission a run for its money, its soo slick and quick. Very short throws..I feel great to drive cars, all of which have excellent gear boxes that its very hard to compare.. cedia, civic, polo and even swift.. amazing I tell you.

Beige as always pisses me off, not soo clean and not soo shiny..

Red is still red, Ya, the same gimmi red and the built quality still amazes me, no rattles at all. Ok apart from the front seat belt unlock button that keeps rattling, whenever the belt is not buckled..

Will get the car serviced in early march, will have completed about 14-15k kms by then..

Also, the engine parts seem to have bedded in properly and there is no oil consumption, since last 6k kms..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 3rd December 2011 at 00:29.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 13:15   #146
Senior - BHPian

On 2nd January, our Polo took a hit. The swift in front of my brother braked hard to avoid a pedestrian and my brother couldn’t break in time. Our polo rear ended the swift and a Santro rear ended us.

At the rear, the scene wasn’t that bad, as we already had a repaired bumper, but up front we were looking for some good damage. Bumper, hood, head lights and may be the plastic headlight support.

Went to drop the car to ASC and was told that the papers need to be signed by the owner (my dad) or I need an authority letter from him that I can sign on his behalf. My dad is transferred to Phaphund (100 kms before kanpur) at a refinery and hence I had to mail him the soft copy and he couriered the papers back to me after signing. Mr. Sujit, the body shop adviser, was very courteous initially when I dropped the car and assured every help.

The car remained at VW West Delhi till Saturday, 7th Jan, till I handed in the signed forms. Mr. Sujit told me that he will inform me once the survey is done. I waited till Tuesday afternoon but he didn’t call. So, I called him. He told me that the survey was done yesterday (Monday) and the surveyor approved the claim for front but rejected the rear bumper. He asked me to call the surveyor and have a word with him. I asked him why he didn’t call me as soon as the surveyor rejected the claim, so that I could have talked to him. He said, he was about to call me. He told me that surveyor will come to ASC at 2 pm and I can come and have a word with him.

I reached ASC at 2 and met Sujit. He instantly called the Surveyor and told him about me. Over the phone itself, the surveyor passed the rear bumper claim. I was like what the hell, why did he waste my time and effort, if he passed the claim in 2 mins. It was 10 January and Sujit tells me that the car should be ready by 18th. I said ok and leave. I call on 18th and am told that the headlights are out of stock and I will get the car on 20. I call again on 20th and am told that I will get the car on 21. On 21, I pay a surprise visit to ASC and am told that the car is ready and is waiting for headlights at the dealer’s yard. I was then told that I will get the call on 23, Monday.

I call Sujit on Monday, 23rd morning but his phone was switched off. After continuous attempts, I failed to get through to him and paid a visit to ASC again. By now, I had had enough; I met Mohit (another bodyshop adviser) and told him the entire story. He asked me to wait for Workshop manager, Mr. Hariom for 10 mins and have a word with him. I met Mr. Hariom and told him my experience and how unprofessional his subordinate Sujit has been. He didn’t call me even once on time, never communicated anything, and I was the one to call all the time etc etc. Mr. Hariom told me that Sujit's wife is unwell and since he has been running around with that, all this mess happened.

Mr. Hariom spoke to Tata AIG insurance adviser in front of me and assured me that I will get my car the very next day. He called me again in the evening to tell me that the final bill has been forwarded to insurance company and they will hand me over the car next day 24th, as soon as they get their DO from Tata AIG. I get a call the very next day from Tata AIG adviser that they haven’t received a copy of car's RC and my brother's DL. I tell him that I did give a copy of same to Sujit, the adviser at VW. Since, Sujit was not at work, I had to resend it. Thanks to phones these days, I clicked pics of RC and brother's DL and mailed it to the Tata AIG Adviser. Within 15 mins the DO was done. I get a call from Mr. Hariom who first apologize for the inconvenience caused and tells me that he is leaving for the day (Was 1:30 in the afternoon) and that I can collect the car from ASC from Mohit.

I reached ASC and met Mohit, who was surrounded by his own and Sujit’s customers. He attends me in 15 mins and gets the bill ready. I asked to see the car before paying and he called for the car to be brought from the yard. The car finally came in half an hour and I discovered that the paint was not buffed. I ask Mohit about it, but he had no clue. I couldn’t blame him as it was Sujit’s fault. I also found that the antenna was missing. I asked him to arrange for an antenna and get the paint buffed. On urgent basis, he asked for the painted panels to be buffed, which took another 1 and a half hour.

Now was the turn of antenna, Mohit handed over 3 antennas to 3 different car owners while I was waiting and there was no extra antenna left. He told me that I can collect it in a day or 2 when Mr Hariom is available as he doesn’t have a authority to issue a new one from the store. I refused to his proposal and called Mr Hariom who picked up the call after 3 attempts. He asked me to check the Job card copy I had to see if I left the car with antenna or without. Since I didn’t take along the copy of the Job card (not used to, Mitsui ASC doesn’t ask for it), I told him that they can check the photos they took when I left the car. Mr Mohit then checked the photos and assured that the antenna was there when I left the car. He finally arranged for the antenna from some place and I finally got free in three and a half hours at 6:30 in the evening.

One unprofessional adviser and completely mismanaged team resulted in me wasting my time and effort not once, not twice but on three different days. Poor Services, I must say. I would however, add that I am satisfied with work carried out on my car. The paint quality and fit and finish is as good as that on a new car.

I don’t have the final bill handy so will post approximate figures..

Rear Bumper – 5150

Hood – 6400

Head lights 5000 (each), both head lights replaced, one broken from inside, other's brackets broken

Head light support – 2400

Wash water reservoir - 500

Support brackets – 125 (each) 2 qty

Mounting for headlamps – 150 (each) 2 qty

Clip – 300 (each) 4 qty

Paint - 3600 (per piece), 3 parts including hood, front bumper and rear bumper painted). The ASC however charged for only 2 pieces by mistake. What does I have to do with it any ways, it their loss and Insurance company’s profit..

Overhead charges: Rs.1000

Total Damage including Rs.3600 for paint that ASC forgot to add - Rs.37,000/-

On bill Total: Rs 33,400/-

Insurance Liability: 22,400/-

Our Liability: 11,000/-

Accident pics..

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_0845.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_0842.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_0843.jpg

After Repair Pics..

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_1108.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_1109.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_1110.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_1111.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_1112.jpg

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 31st January 2012 at 13:37.
Old 31st January 2012, 14:38   #147
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about the accident. Car looks brand new after the paint job.

What percentage will the insurance pay for the bumper?
Old 31st January 2012, 21:23   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Car looks brand new after the paint job.
Thanks . Just need to get the left rear quarter panel painted. Will get it done this month and will probably opt for 0% depreciation this time. Considering, polo like most new cars have all plastic upfront, the damage even at low speed is huge. So the more secured you are, the better it is. In fact, I can vouch that I would have only landed up with a dislocated bumper, had it been the cedia. Polo and Civic both have delicate front assemblies and crumple easily, padestrian safety norms you know. But the good part is, both are NCAP 5 star rated, so I believe the chassis is made out of nails...

Quote:
What percentage will the insurance pay for the bumper?
Paid 50% for all parts except hood and head light brackets, both of which are metal, on which depreciation is 10%. So 50% each of head light, support, bumper, clips, reservoir etc..

A small correction in the post earlier. What I have referred to as Head light support is radiator support. So the radiator support costs 2400. In earlier cars we had the complete steel head light support on which the head lights, radiator and condenser sits.. That no more the case, its the plastic radiator support that got bent.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 31st January 2012 at 21:40.
Old 2nd March 2012, 12:11   #149
Senior - BHPian

Got 30k service done yesterday. The OD read 28131 kms. 13.5k kms since last service but it was one year, so had to get the service done. No issues with the car as such. Just 2 complaints, the seat belts buckle used to make tak tak sound and some adjustment took care of it. Second, the handbrake release button cover's clips broke last week and it came off and it was not covered under warranty as the clips broke. The adviser said that it becomes difficult to show in warranty as it broke. It costed some Rs.2-300 and I ordered for a new one. The part wasnt under warranty, hence, I got the broke one fixed with fevi quick. Its as good as normal. The parts of Polo doesnt feel expensive at all, especially after you deal with civic/cedia . Jokes apart, but they are definitely priced very competitively.

The bill for the 30k/2nd service is below:

Part - Qty - Price

Engine Oil - 2.8L - 2192.40
Oil Filter - 1 - 90.67
Air Filter - 1 - 222.22
Dust and Polen Filter - 1 - 635.56
Fuel Filter - 1 - 429.33
Plug - 1 - 65.78
Seal Ring - 1 - 20.86
Battery Water - 1 - 17.78
Windscreen washer - 1 - 226.76
Silicon Spray - 1 - 888.88 (Lubrication for brakes and suspension)
Spark plug - 3 - 1146.66

Sales Tax - 906.55

Total - 6843.45

Labour
Paid Service - 1150
Synthetic Lubrication - 350

Service Tax - 154.50

Total - 1654.50

Grand Total - 8497.94

Got alignment and balancing done from outside which costed Rs.500 including nitrogen in all 5 tires. The Service Adviser suggested that the tires are wearing and he doesnt recommend I get the alignment done right now. He advised I should get it done once I get new tires. So be it. The tires easily have 10k life in it. The adviser said, the life of the Apollos is 30k only .

The Adviser who attended me was Sachin. No, not the same Sachin who attended my car at last service. Also, met Senior Adviser Mr.Jetinder. He sure knows how to keep customers Happy. He got the seat buckles fixed at Once. The new Adviser Sachin was much better than the old sachin and he made sure that all the complaints are taken care of and the car is handed to me neat and clean. Overall experience has been v good. No hick ups no issues since the head change, 17k kms and strong.

There is no rattling noise what so ever after 28k kms on the clock. The steering and suspension are holding up good and I expect them to last atleast 1 lac kms.

In between, the car's left headlight bracket (one) is broken (the adviser showed it to me at the time of opening the job card) and I dont know how it broke. They are just a month old. Will have to get plastic welding done. Must say, the front assembly is very delicate, ofcourse for pedestrian saftey, BUT it doesnt work in INDIA .

Some pics of the old parts.

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_1198.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_1199.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_1202.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_1203.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_1204.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_1205.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img_1206.jpg
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 18:22   #150
Senior - BHPian

42k kms and Head Changed AGAIN!

Well, apologies for not updating this thread for a long time. I haven’t been in India for most of this year and this will continue till about early 2014.

The polo was serviced in February sometime as per routine and had about 38k kms on the clock. My brother and uncle are driving cedia most of the time and Polo was mostly used at weekends or fortnightly by Dad who is transferred out station.

Since July 2013, my brother experienced excessive vibration in the car and later complaint about the EPC light flashing on the OD. I came to India for about 5 weeks in end of july and witnessed the problem. The car was not driven in the month of July as my brother was busy at work and no one had time to go and get the car checked.

I gave the car at VW Moti Nagar for diagnosing the problem in early August 2013. The problem diagnosed was with two ignition coils of the car. The same were replaced and the car was ready for delivery. While taking the delivery of the car, I again noticed excessive vibration and insisted if the car has been checked properly. I also insisted for a compression test to be done but adviser claimed that the problem was with ignition coil and the same has been replaced.

On 2 September 2013, I again witnessed the issue of EPC, along with engine vibration and loss of power. Moreover, on one instance, the engine along with all powers including power brakes, power steering etc of the car stopped. I had to stomp on the brakes which were now on manual to stop the car. Since I was driving at about 50 kmph, I managed to stop the car just in time. Although, the car still bumped into the car in front damaging the car’s front left fog light grill. Had I been driving at higher speeds, I would have been involved in a bigger accident.

The car was then dropped at VW Moti Nagar. The next day, we were informed that the car has been diagnosed with low compression problem in all the three cylinders and hence the engine head will again be replaced.

A car three and a half year old and only 42k kms driven and the head went kaput again. Certainly there is a quality constraint in the parts used. VW Moti Nagar once more did not have a reason, why the head went kaput again. And even if they had a reason for the fault, let me tell you that the oldest car in our garage, the Maruti 800 is now 13 and a half year old and 1.7 Lac kms driven with ZERO breakdowns. Moreover, the other cars including 4 year old Honda civic (84k kms), 6 year old Mitsubishi Cedia (1.1 Lac kms), and 1 year old Range Rover Evoque (30k kms driven) stand tall in the Garage with Zero break downs. Even the Tata Indica, we once owned was more reliable than the Polo standing in my garage.

This is certainly the first VW we have ever bought and quite certainly the last one too. My brother emailed VW regarding the same and asked for an assurance that if the car witnesses any such problem in future after extended warranty expires, VW is going to bear the cost. However, he got a standard reply that the VW moti nagar is taking care of the car and it will be fixed and handed over next day.

VW Moti Nagar failed at this commitment too as the part was not available and it took one more day to arrange that. Anyways, we were least bothered about when we get the car as it was anyways used over weekends. But its the unreliability, especially when it relates to engine that is bothering me.
I left India on 5th September, after which the car was fixed and my brother took the delivery. We will most probably sell the car if the problem arises again.

We were told that the head is replaced but in the bill it says, repair set for cylinder head. God knows what it means. And as if I want to CARE more!

For now the bill.

My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-img20130919wa0004.jpg

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 30th September 2013 at 18:38.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks