Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2014, 13:26   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I myself have been a big critic of VW service. Go back and read some of my posts 2-3 years back. (A) I think everyone will agree on two aspects, the car is a lemon and the VW response was being extremely lackadaisical. Other than that what else could have been done differently? (B) The bill of around 18K has been waived off even when the car was out of extended warranty. (C)How can a car manufacturer or dealer guarantee that nothing is going go wrong in 4.5 year old car? You can read numerous horror stories of Maruti support on this forum itself. So my only grudge is against passing sweeping judgements.
(A) you are right. The car is a lemon, and VW has not bothered to acknowledge and accept this.
(B) But you do have to see the context. The bill has been waived off only after the customer has been made to run from the pillar to post. Also the numerous issues that have cropped up in the vehicle - by which you yourself have suggested that the car is a lemon - the only remedy to such issues is complete replacement with a new car - not just a waive off of 18K.
(C) But all the problems have not surfaced all of the sudden in the 5th year. Is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Arrogance personified! German piece of junk (POLO) plus overconfident VW – perfect mixture for CHAOS

I will make sure that I abide by my right and responsibility to share my experience with others on social media platforms and automotive forums considering the fact that VW was not able to redress my situation. So, please watch out for every possible space on automotive forums and facebook pages of VW and Media for a link to this page. I have not been using twitter, but I guess I have a good reason to start using it now!

Thanks Again for reminding me that even to this date “All the best stuff is Made in Japan” or from Japan!

Gaurav Chopra.
With each passing paragraph of your post, I could feel my bile rising so much so that right now my brain is feeling the prerage.

How can a company afford to act so detached from the reality? (Actually it can as long as fanatic Nazi fanbois exist)
I just hope this thread and whatever you post on facebook and twitter catches wind and everyone gets to know the VW group.
Please let us know - so that we can spread the word.
Not because VW (and similarly Skoda) deserves it, but because I would not want anyone that I know and who I could warn NOT know about what he might land up in.

Last edited by alpha1 : 17th June 2014 at 13:30.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 13:41   #167
Senior - BHPian

Well, that restores my confidence in the VW group. Confidence of never buying their products.
honeybee is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 13:44   #168
Senior - BHPian

Dear Gaurav,

Its so dis-heartening to have such an experience with our beloved vehicles. I can understand Mahindras & Tatas (if they're in a similar manner) because they've got permanent business from the government to such an extent they don't have to worry about the vehicles sold to the general public.

However, in the case of VW/Skoda etc., this is never the case and the India entity has to earn revenue from the sales & service of the vehicles sold to the general public. I'm just left wondering despite quite a lot of hues and cries, doesn't VW group care at all? That's where I feel your title is the best! - Arrogance!

I've also had a similar experience with my Skoda dealer and now fighting for it, please read it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3456019

The bottom line: Good cars, bad dealers/service centers and POOR OEM support! Phew!
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 13:46   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
(A) you are right. The car is a lemon, and VW has not bothered to acknowledge and accept this.
(B) But you do have to see the context. The bill has been waived off only after the customer has been made to run from the pillar to post. Also the numerous issues that have cropped up in the vehicle - by which you yourself have suggested that the car is a lemon - the only remedy to such issues is complete replacement with a new car - not just a waive off of 18K.
(C) But all the problems have not surfaced all of the sudden in the 5th year. Is it?
I am extremely sympathetic to GC who has been one of the early owners of the Polo as I mentioned. But you need to be realistic in your expectations. Do you think that any manufacturer will agree for a replacement after 5 years? Neither they are going to oblige free repair and replacement now on since the warranty is over. He should have either pushed for a new car (really hard) when major problems started creeping up or sold the car off once it was delivered road worthy for the first time. Now also my advice will be to sell off the car to save oneself from further frustration.
Old 17th June 2014, 14:19   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Do you think that any manufacturer will agree for a replacement after 5 years? Neither they are going to oblige free repair and replacement now on since the warranty is over. He should have either pushed for a new car (really hard) when major problems started creeping up or sold the car off once it was delivered road worthy for the first time. Now also my advice will be to sell off the car to save oneself from further frustration.
Early cars of any car doesn't mean they can be taken for granted. This problem if was all of a sudden, I agree that VW's reacted the right way but the issue was there since starting so they better oblige and get things right.

Now I foresee one thing here, The initial stage where the vibrations etc were felt by GC, VW diagnosed it as faulty ignition coils and replaced them under warranty. Second time again the same issue repeats, reason could be:
  1. Faulty coil pack (bad QC check)

2. Not the correction diagnosis by VW and just to satisfy the customer they changed the coils.

Again the same issue repeats multiple times where-in they get a doubt and change the fuel pump + clean the tank after which I guess GC hasn't faced the issue.

Now how do you rate them in problem diagnosis and parts QC?

Isn't all of those visits + calls + emails a waste?! NO action taken properly even after multiple emails. There is a limit to everything and VW thinks they can get away with anything having the "German Engineering" tag on them and we Indians will accept anything they do and sell?!

They need to wake up and look around on how to deal matters and solve them ASAP. If they are not able to find the correct root cause then tell it out clearly so that the owner can go elsewhere and get the thing sorted out. Millions of worthy FNG's are available who will do a better job then the ASC.

Just my two cents. No offence to you.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 14:54   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Gaurav, I think my BP shot up after I was done reading your post. Japanese guys are the only ones who know a thing or two about after sales. No Skoda/VW can even come 1 billion miles close.

Sell this piece of Junk called Polo and buy something Japanese and enjoy the drive with an assurance that big daddy Maruti ( or any of the other Japenese ones) will look after you no matter what.
HumYum !! Because of absolute lack of proper law / control in India, these manufacturers become big / over charge for there cars when in India as the demand and brand recognition shoots.
Classic example - Honda earlier and now Hyundai & VW.

Just to give you an example, my friend is having a similar engine issue with his swift Diesel ... engine vibrations, loss of power intermittently and engine head worked upon but in vain on a new car.

So its not necessary that Japanese are the best but yes they definitely have a better chance of fairing.

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2014 at 09:27. Reason: This is NOT a Fiat thread.
namit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 16:22   #172
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see VW India following the foot steps of its notorious partner Skoda India!
Am happy I dropped Vento from my upgrade shortlist

Surprised to note that a fuel pump malfunction can happen in a 4 year old car, that too from a global German Auto brand!
Secondly, after this major issue was brought to the notice of VW Marketing & Service Head, they should have acknowledged this serious fault with the car & then ensured it is thoroughly investigated, necessary components replaced & rectified and ensured car is running fine perfectly before handing back to the customer.
But, unfortunately, instead of doing this, they wash off their hands & pass the buck to SC!
If the SC is bad, we can go to the Company, but if the Company is not ready to listen & help, where will you go?
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 16:30   #173
BHPian

Re: Arrogance personified! German piece of junk (POLO) plus overconfident VW

Quote:
Other than that what else could have been done differently?
How about showing a little respect towards the customer? Mistreatment is not acceptable no matter what. Was it wrong of Gaurav to complain about the lemon they sold him? Arrogance that VW personnel showed was criminal.

Quote:
The bill of around 18K has been waived off even when the car was out of extended warranty.
They only did that because they had no excuses to give, after the facts that Gaurav presented to the customer care and higher officials. It is quite clear that they had been shooting in the dark and had failed repeatedly in diagnosing the root cause. Would they have waved off the bill if they were so sure that they handled the case right from the beginning? I don't think so.

Quote:
How can a car manufacturer or dealer guarantee that nothing is going go wrong in 4.5 year old car?
Why not? When certified pre-owned cars can carry such a warranty why can VW not do it for their own customer after they have checked the car inside out? Is it because they don't trust their "Engineering" to go a couple thousand KMs without falling apart?

Quote:
You can read numerous horror stories of Maruti support on this forum itself. So my only grudge is against passing sweeping judgements.
I don't recall any other brand bragging about their "Engineering" the way VW does.
I've got nothing against VW and neither I am a Maruti Suzuki fan. I don't drive either of them. It's just that, one would obviously expect a quality product and service from these so called automobile leaders. And it is disappointing to see that they handle Indian customers differently then the rest of the world. VW could never get away this easily if such a case arises in any of the western countries. The customer would make them pay through their nose and get the entire car replaced for free.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th June 2014 at 11:28. Reason: Fixing quote, typo
EcoBeast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 17:18   #174
BHPian

There goes my dream of owning a beautiful Polo GT TSI.I do not think any one would tolerate such niggles and lack of reliability even in an used car let alone a brand new car.
Hope this thread brings out some speedy resolution to this issue.
rock18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 18:21   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Do you think that any manufacturer will agree for a replacement after 5 years?......
Did @GC request for a replacement of the car anywhere?

Quote:
...Neither they are going to oblige free repair and replacement now on since the warranty is over...
What he has requested is to diagnose the problem accurately! Isn't that tough for the parent company to oblige for? What he re-iterated to them is that do NOT change parts without making sure it's faulty and still charge him for a non-faulty part. It's well within his rights.

Again, these problems first cropped up during his warranty period which still has NOT been rectified. If fuel pump was the "actual" faulty part, they should have replaced it when the issue was reported the first time, which was within the warranty period. Just because they were incapable to find the root of the issue and always tried a "hit & miss" at the expense of the customer, it's NOT really professional of them to wash their hands off the responsibility.

Another point that @GC requested is to assure him that the car will NOT have further issue once they repair it, for 2 years. They have NOT done it - So much is the confidence they have on their own product!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th June 2014 at 18:23.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 18:21   #176
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Phew!
Your thread is scary man. I feel really sorry for what you went through.
I have one thing to tell people arguing about warranty after 4.5 years- we
Recently got a 8 year old Wagonr for family usage and the dealer (Cartrade.com) gave us a 6 month warranty. My friend got a 6 year old swift and had got an years warranty. If used car manufacturers can give these kind of warranties, why can't VW offer the same on their 'German engineered' products?
I have always loved VW products, but their after sales and unreliable machines have always kept our family away from these brands.
Looking at the failures in your polo and Nikitas response about everything being normal I seriously feel VW is going the Skoda way.
The problem here is about VW's attitude in dealing with the problems.
VW should no more fool you and straight away replace the lemon they have sold to you.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 20:04   #177
BHPian

This is terrible. And I think I can relate to your experiences.

Fiat After Sales and "Service", Fiat Customer "Care", and Fiat's clueless top executives in Pune are all very similar to VW's. It is extremely difficult to hold back expletives when dealing with these guys.

And yes, despite being in love with my Fiat, I do agree Japanese is the best bet here in India.

I think you should persuade your dad to sell off this car and let the matter rest. Good luck!
one-77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 01:03   #178
BHPian

If you are planning to own German car then there is nothing wrong in that, its just that be ready to handle any upcoming troubles on your own, thats it.

German cars are best in driving dynamics, there is no doubt in that. They are extermely pleasurable to drive, but on the other hand, their service is equally pathetic how much greater the cars are.

Its again proven here.
Old 18th June 2014, 01:35   #179
Senior - BHPian

As an owner of a Rapid, I am scared! I thought I was being smart by choosing a Skoda with not-so-cutting-edge technology (no TSI/TDI/DSG), and hence nothing much could go wrong.

This thread is going straight to facebook, and with it I am going to be shouting from the rooftops and scaring everyone I know away from VW/Skoda.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 11:04   #180
BHPian

Oh dear. I was bowled over by the Polo 1.2 TSI and then I come across this. Great machines maligned by the company's reluctance in having a 'Customer first' approach. I had considered a Polo(diesel) when I was buying my first car but one of my reasons for moving away was because of the in-your-face attitude of the dealer. He simply wasn't interested in selling the car. Polo was launched recently then and the showrooms were gathering a lot of footfalls.

Hoping that VW sorts out the problems caused to the OP at the earliest. Any machine can have failures. As long as the customer's problems are carefully listened and tended to, flaunting the engineering wouldn't earn them a lot of new customers.
deoelect is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks