Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 20:25   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 42k kms and Head Changed AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
A car three and a half year old and only 42k kms driven and the head went kaput again. Certainly there is a quality constraint in the parts used. VW Moti Nagar once more did not have a reason, why the head went kaput again.
Sorry to hear about your woes, I can only imagine the distress its causing.

I might understand (though not accept) the first head issue as being caused in the first batch of cars. Its surprising to have occurred a second time. Are you comfortable and certain that its not a problem in the block itself that's causing the head to leak?
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 20:21   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: 42k kms and Head Changed AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Sorry to hear about your woes, I can only imagine the distress its causing.

I might understand (though not accept) the first head issue as being caused in the first batch of cars. Its surprising to have occurred a second time. Are you comfortable and certain that its not a problem in the block itself that's causing the head to leak?
Even I have a feeling that it can be the block. However, the service station does not give a reason for the problem, does not show the test results, and also does not allow customers inside the working area. They just let us know that this is the problem, they are fixing it. They told me that the problem is with the head but the bill says repair set for cylinder.

This is something I really appreciate about my other car Cedia, atleast I can talk to the engineer and take all the reports and also see the work being conducted. Its a different story though that the parts are mostly unavailable and ridiculously priced . But then, its atleast reliable.

This car will definitely be sold if the problem re-occurs.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 23:05   #153
Senior - BHPian

Arrogance personified! German piece of junk (POLO) plus overconfident VW

Arrogance personified! German piece of junk (POLO) plus overconfident VW – perfect mixture for CHAOS

Sorry for not updating this thread for a while. I was out of country till March 2014 and hence couldn’t update.

Highlights:

March 2014 – OD reading - around 48,000 kms, (60,000 kms or 4 years service conducted.) Vibration and loss of power (minimal) witnessed in the car. Requested for an engine compression test. Reports confirmed optimum compression in each cylinder.

30 May 2014 – Major Loss of power

31 May (Sunday) - car sent to VW Moti Nagar – refuses to take car- ask to come back on 2 June. Accepts the vehicle after a few arguments. I personally had to go to the dealership.

04 June - problem reported – 2 ignition coils burnt PLUS inadequate support from dealership personnel.

05 June 2014 - fed up with the car and dealership staff (Mr Sachin, I don’t know how this guy has been promoted from an adviser to manager level), I write my first mail at 12:57AM

To: VW India, Marketing Head; VW India, Dealership Development Head; (I will not disclose names or email ids here)

CC: customer.care@volkswagen.co.in

Note: This email is kindly directed to the Marketing Head and Dealership Head of VW India. This is because last year, when my brother emailed our concern to customer care, we were told that the dealership will contact us. That's it. Customer service needs to understand that a customer contacts the company directly when inadequate support is provided by the dealership. Referring customer back to dealer doesn't solve any purpose.

For the extremely busy Marketing Head and Dealership Head

Car : VW Polo Comfortline 1.2 Petrol
Registration Number: DL4C AV 4758
Owners Name: Mr. Vijay Chopra

Problem: 03/June/2014 – Ignition coils burnt - didn’t even last 12 months/10k kms since last changed– need to pay 3.5k each for 2 coils – Extended Warranty of the car ran out one and a half month ago.

Facts and History

- April 2010 – Unfortunately cancelled the booking of Maruti Suzuki Swift Diesel and bought the New VW Polo – because you said ‘German Engineering – Made in India’. Over the period of 4 years, VW proved that my decision was completely absurd!

- December 2010 – Complete Engine head changed along with exhaust manifold – car 8 months and 11,000 kms old – Asked for a complete engine change but refused by dealership.

- Other tethering issues such as horn etc changed, waste of time and effort.

- August 2013 – Excessive vibration and loss of power around 42,000 kms – 2 ignition coils burnt – changed under warranty for Rs. 3,376/-. How come the price is double this time – is it because you expect the customer to pay?

- September 2013 – nearly ended up in an accident – loss of all power in the car - problem with engine cylinders – cylinders repaired - total expense under warranty – Rs. 74,663/- Asked for a complete engine change but refused by dealership.

- March 2014 – Again engine vibration issues – asked to get a compression test done during regular service – Everything reported ok – nearly 48,000 kms.

- 31 May 2014 – Loss of power – problem reported – ignition coil burnt PLUS inadequate support from dealership personnel.

Now that I seem to have mastered the art of forecasting any issue with the lemon you provided me – give me a chance to forecast –

Next on the cards – A major engine issue again – which of course you would expect me to pay for as extended warranty is over.

Other cars we currently own and can vouch for their reliability –

• 2000 - Maruti 800 – 5 speed – 1.7 lac kms driven
• 2007 - Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.22 lac kms driven
• 2009 – Honda Civic – 90k kms driven
• 2012 – Range Rover Evoque – 45k kms driven

We have even used a Tata Indica in the past and it was much more reliable than the ‘GERMAN’ car you sold us.

Either, there is a trouble in the quality check of the components you source – or – your dealership is incompetent to deal with major issues in the car – I leave it to your fine sense of judgement!

Complete Story

This is regarding our April 2010 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol, registration number DL4C AV 4758, registered in the name of my father, Mr. Vijay Chopra. In December 2010, we had engine check light flashing on the tachometer. It took us two visits at that time to VW Moti Nagar, Delhi for them to identify the problem as a compression leak from the exhaust side and the complete head and exhaust manifold will be replaced under warranty. The reason for a compression leak in a car 8 months and 11k kms old was not provided by the service centre.

It shook our trust in the car, and in the brand VW, which was trying its best to make its place in India. However, thinking that it’s a machinery and may be a one off experience, we got the car fixed at VW Moti Nagar.

In late July 2013, we again started witnessing excessive vibration in the car, with EPC Light flashing on the tachometer and the car was handed over to VW Moti Nagar for diagnosing the problem in early August 2013. The problem diagnosed was with two ignition coils of the car. The same were replaced and the car was ready for delivery. While taking the delivery of the car, I again noticed excessive vibration and insisted if the car has been checked properly. I also insisted for a compression test to be done but the adviser claimed that the problem was with ignition coils and the same has been replaced.

On 2 September 2013, I again witnessed the issue of EPC, along with engine vibration and loss of power.Moreover, on one instance, the engine along with all powers including power brakes, power steering etc of the car stopped. I had to stomp on the brakes which were on manual to stop the car. Since I was driving at about 50 kmph, I managed to stop the car somehow. However, I still bumped into the car in front damaging the car’s front left fog light grill. Had I been driving at higher speeds, I would have been involved in bigger accident.

The car was then dropped at VW Moti Nagar. Two days later, we were informed that the car was been diagnosed with low compression problem in all the three cylinders.

A car three and a half year old and only 42k kms driven and there was a problem in cylinders. Certainly there is a serious quality constraint in the parts used. VW Moti Nagar once more did not have a reason, why the engine has gone kaput again. The engine was repaired and my brother took the delivery of the vehicle.

March 2014, I again witnessed vibration in the engine and insisted on a compression test to be conducted during service. Compression test conducted by VW Moti Nagar and no problems were reported but I still had my doubts (having driven over 200,000 kms in past 10 years, the least I can do is identify the problems in my cars).

31 May 2014, Major loss of power and vibration issues. My brother took the car to VW Moti Nagar and they refused to take the car and insisted on getting it back on Tuesday, 02 June 2014. I had a word with Mr. Sachin (I am told he is the new manager in VW Moti nagar) on phone and told him that this whole episode is unfair and I am literally being harassed. After an argument, Mr. Sachin gave the phone back to my brother and I had to personally go to the after sales center to insist on leaving the car in the dealership.

02 June 2014, we got no intimation from service center and my brother called the adviser to check the status. He was told that the problem is ignition coils and the same is changed under extended warranty. My brother told the adviser that the extended warranty is over and how did he change the coils without reporting the problem or without seeking approval. For this the adviser replied that it is changed for testing and they were to seek approval (You want me to believe this?). Knowing that the car is out of warranty, we are being asked to pay for the coils. Mr. Sachin, of course, was busy enough not to take my brother’s call or to call back.

Sorry, I am not going to pay for the coil, and sorry I am not even going to pay for any Powertrain (engine/gearbox) related issue that may crop up in the future. It is fortunate for VW to be operating in a country like India, where the possibility of anyone suing the company and winning the case is minimal. Moreover, neither do we have time for any of that, atleast not for a car that costs just over 2 lacs as of today. The maximum I can do if you refuse to, is sell the car after getting the issue fixed.

But let me make myself very clear, this is certainly the first VW we have ever bought, and quite certainly the last one too.

Moreover, I will make sure that I do whatever I can, on social media and automotive forums, to ensure that each potential VW customer thinks 100 times before buying a VW, having read my ownership review.

Thank you for your German Engineered Car that has caused nothing but inconvenience.

Regards
Gaurav Chopra
S/O Mr. Vijay Chopra

05 June 2014- 9:38 AM – I get a reply from VW India Marketing Head

Cc: VW India, Dealership Development Head; Aftersales head; Customer support and one more internal reference

“Greetings Sir!

Sorry for all the trouble you and your family have gone through due to your Polo.

Going through your entire email, I will not dare share any words of comfort for you at this juncture.

Kindly allow us time till the end of today to revert to you.
We do not definitely wish to sell any lemons to any customer.

If we are not able to redress your situation, you do have the right and responsibility to share your experience with others on social media platforms and automotive forums.

Apologies, once again.

Regards,

--- VW India, Marketing Head (I am not disclosing the name).”

05 June 2014 – 10:15 AM - I get a call from VW Customer Care from Mumbai – I was driving and I ask them to call back at 11AM.

11 AM – I wait for the call. 11:20 AM – I get missed call alert from the customer care number and I call back to talk to Nikita (Customer care Executive). She asked me what problem I had with the car (I believed I made myself very clear in the mail). Anyways I explained her, the problem with the car and the lack of support from VW – Moti Nagar.

I informed her that my brother took the car to VW Moti Nagar on 31 may (Sunday) and they refused to take the car and asked him to come on Tuesday. She replied that all VW dealerships are closed on Sundays and hence would ask customer to come later. I (annoyed) asked her to get her facts right and that VW Moti Nagar is open on Sundays. Nevertheless, she argued. Later, she informed me that she will be reverted back by a formal email about the decision on my car.

12:46 PM – I get a mail from VW customer care

CC: Two ids from World class auto – VW – Moti Nagar (Please note, customer care didn’t bother to keep VW India Marketing Head in the loop)

“Dear Mr. Chopra,

Greetings from Volkswagen Passenger Cars !

We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused.

This is in reference to your tele conversation with undersigned on June 5,2014 pertaining to your car bearing registration no. DL4C AV 4758.

We understand that your is currently at M/s Volkswagen Delhi West for running repairs. Post reviewing the previous service visit, we would like to inform that the ignition coil was replaced in Aug’13 visit to M/s Volkswagen Delhi West and was replaced under warranty. The gap between both visits (Aug’13 & June’14) is almost a year.

Also, your car is April’10 purchase and is out of warranty the current part replacement are being carried out on chargeable basis. However, we are advising our dealership M/s Volkswagen Delhi West to extend support by discounting 50% labour cost and 5% part cost.

We assure you that your concerns will be attended at the earliest as per Volkswagen standards. We wish to assure that car would be delivered in road worthy condition.

We would also take the opportunity to inform that last e-mail received for this car registration number is on May 9,2013. In case you wish to bring any matter in our notice, kindly call us at toll free 1800 102 0909 / 1800 209 0909 or write to us at customer.care@volkswagen.co.in.

Please feel free to contact M/s Volkswagen Delhi West representatives : Nidhi on 95822xxxxx and Manu Nair on 9654xxxxxx.

Assuring you of our best services.

Best Regards,

Nikita
Customer Care, After Sales
Volkswagen Passenger Cars India”

Same evening 5 June 2014 – with a hope that atleast someone (VW India – Marketing Head, he has good industry experience and came from Maruti Suzuki to VW in 2012) is willing to help the customer, yet, annoyed by the response of Customer care executive, Nikita. I write another mail.

To: Customer Care; VW India – Marketing Head

CC: Two ids from World class auto – VW – Moti Nagar

“Dear Nikita,

Thank you for extending the support (Favour) by offering discount of 50% on labour cost and 5% on part cost. Also, Thank you for reminding me that the extended warranty is over. Lastly, a big thank you for reminding me that the ignition coils were replaced in Aug’13 visit to M/s Volkswagen Delhi West under warranty and that the gap between both visits (Aug’13 & June’14) was almost a year.

Now, please do not do a favour on me by extending this puny support. It is not about seven thousand rupees or a few hundred rupees of discount on that. Even if you would have waved the entire amount completely, it would have hardly made any difference. Looks like you have not gone through the mail I wrote earlier. If seniors like Mr. VW India Marketing head can spare few minutes from their busy schedule reading my email and replying back, I am sure you definitely can spare some time reading it.

Anyhow, you seemed to have missed the whole point. The point is that this car has been giving repeated engine problem since purchase and it is VW’s responsibility to fix it. Now, if you want to say that VW fixed it in warranty, then they didn’t do a favour on me. I paid for the services and I was entitled to them. I would have been happy without any problems rather than having them and getting them rectified for free.

In addition, if you think that Ignition coils going kaput within 10,000 kms or one year is normal (second time, first time changed a year ago) – then let me tell you IT IS NOT.

If you think that engine head going kaput in 11,000 kms or eight months is normal - then let me tell you IT IS NOT.

If you think that ignition coils going kaput (first time) in 42,000 kms or three years is normal - then let me tell you IT IS NOT.

If you think that engine cylinders going kaput in 42,000 kms or three years is normal - then let me tell you IT IS NOT.

I am not even sure if you know what ignition coils, or engine head or engine cylinders are? I am not sure if you should know about them but anyone even with minimal knowledge about automobiles would tell you that these are the key elements of the car and are built to last. They simply cannot go kaput until there is a quality constraint..PERIOD! So, VW did not do any favour on me by replacing or repairing them.

What I needed from VW was a surety, that there will not be any problem with the Powertain (engine/gearbox) atleast at a stretch of 50,000 kms or so. But your reply has made VW’s intentions very clear. The company doesn’t care about how the experience of the customer has been (even within warranty) or about what problems may re-occur once the warranty is over.

So, please request your dealership NOT to offer any discounts and do any favours on me.

Also, take an important advice free of cost (Important because it is coming from an MBA (Marketing) from one of the top business schools in London). Ask your dealers to be less arrogant with the customer. And ask all customer care executives to not argue with the customer without facts (FYI, i give this in writing, YOUR DEALER- VW MOTI NAGAR IS OPEN FOR SERVICE/REPAIRS ON SUNDAY and I say it by experience. So next time get your facts right before arguing with the customer.)

Also, get another fact right, last email regarding this car, DL4C AV 4758, was made by my brother (email id:xxxxx_chopra90@yahoo.in) on 5th September 2013 at 10 AM and we got a reply back on 5th September 2013 at 12:45 PM. My brother has the emails in his records.

Lastly, apologising for the inconvenience doesn’t solve any purpose. If there is a problem, identify it and try and solve it, rather than pushing the blame (expense) on customers.

You/your dealership/ their advisers etc etc may be working for VW but the company still has to go a long way to catch up with the likes of Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai. One look at sales numbers of SIAM (available for free on TeamBhp.com) clarifies how the arrogance of everyone I have interacted with at VW (EXCLUDING Mr. VW India - Marketing Head, who was kind enough to reply promptly) affects the sales numbers. So, try not doing any favours on customers, try providing them the services they deserve. Because, sales numbers are not built by numbers but by happy customers!

So, thank you once again for your BEST support. I will get the ignition coils changed at VW Moti Nagar (WITHOUT ANY DISCOUNTS) and will NEVER seek any assistance from VW Moti Nagar, VW customer care, or any other senior VW Official in future.

Regards
Gaurav Chopra
S/O Mr. Vijay Chopra

Dear VW India- Marketing Head (I am not disclosing the name here),

Thank you Sir, for taking time out from your busy schedule to read my email and replying back promptly.

Although, I have no experience about cars in India and my knowledge about the sector is tiny in front of yours; still, as a customer, I think I have just given you a strong reason why your sales are constantly declining. To address it or not – I again leave it to your vast pool of experience/knowledge in the sector.

And yes, I will not back off from my responsibility!

RESPECT

Yours truely
Gaurav Chopra
S/O Vijay Chopra

I also replied separately to the mail from VW India- Marketing Head

“Dear VW India- Marketing Head (I am not disclosing the name here),

Thank you Sir, for taking out time from your busy schedule to read my email and replying back.

I really appreciate your extra effort.

I have left a small note (as a gentle request as a customer) in the email I addressed minutes back to customer service and yourself. Please do have a look at it.

Thanks and regards
Gaurav Chopra
S/O Mr. Vijay Chopra

We lose all hopes and decide to pick up the car and pay for ignition coils

06 June 2014 – my brother calls VW- Moti Nagar – to get the car ready and that we will pay for the ignition coils.

In the evening my brother collects the car and was told that only one coil is changed (we were informed that 2 were kaput). He was told that out of three coils in the car, 2 were replaced in 2013 in august and the one remaining has been changed now. My brother pays about 3k rupees for coil and left front fog lamp cover (about 300 or so) and takes the car.

In the previous couple of days, My brother had called Mr. Sachin (Manager) couple of times but he didn’t pick up his call. While taking the delivery, he asks Mr. Sachin, wh he didn’t take my brothers calls. To which he replied arrogantly: we are busy Sir, we can’t sit Idle to take your calls. My brother replied: If you can’t take customers calls, throw your damn phones in the bin.

Really Arrogant Guy.

07 June 2014 – my brother again witnesses loss of power in the car and we get really Annoyed.

Meanwhile, on 07 June 2014 – 12:19 PM, I get a mail from VW-India Marketing Head.

Cc: two key persons in after sales

“Greetings Sir!
Fully agree with your statement that further sales are built by satisfied customers and not merely yesterday’s sales.

Your angst and anguish is justified.

I have copied two of my relevant colleagues from the after sales function here, to go through all details and then revert with a “solution”.

Request your patience for some more time.

Regards,
VW India – Marketing Head”

08 June 2014 – I drop the car back to the dealership

Same Day – we are informed that fuel pump could be faulty. It will take about 4 days for the pump to come, costs Rs15k, and the dealership will install the new pump to check if the problem goes.

09 June 2014 – 10: 54 AM - I write a mail to VW India – Marketing Head

Cc: two key persons in after sales and customer care

“Dear VW India – Marketing Head,

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate your efforts to help us.

Regarding the car:-

My brother took the delivery back from VW Moti Nagar on Friday evening, 6th June. He was told that the problem has been resolved and one ignition coil has been changed (we were informed that on checking two ignition coils were found kaput and cost was 7k in total). Anyways, my brother paid about 3k and took the car back.

On Saturday, 07 June 2014, my brother AGAIN witnessed loss of power and the car's speed suddenly went down from 50-60 to about 20 a nearly 4 times in a drive of about 20 odd kms. The same problem persisted 2 times on the way back.

Sunday Morning, 08 June 2014, I dropped the car at VW Moti Nagar. On check up, the service center has informed my brother that there could be a fuel pump issue. If there is a fuel pump issue, why was it not identified in the first instance and why was the ignition coil changed.

Anyways, he is told that the fuel pump will arrive in about 4 days and we can take the car back till then. Once the fuel pump arises, the pump will be changed to CHECK if the problem goes away. The cost of it is 15k, which I am sure I will be expected to pay. The car still remains at VW-Moti Nagar.

The CUSTOMER CARE assured me that the car will be repaired to VW standards. The car stayed at dealership for 6 days, and the problem was not resolved. I am sure that is not the VW standard, at least not globally. If it is different in India, I am actually not surprised.

Visiting the service station again and again is a waste of time, money and effort. Sir, I say it by experience, the problems with this car wont go away. Selling a faulty car to someone else is not ethical. But if the problems remain, we wont be left with any other option but to sell it!

Still striving to remain patient.

Thanks again
Best Regards
Gaurav Chopra
S/O Mr. Vijay Chopra

09 June 2014 – 11:14 AM – I get a mail from one of the key after sales person

Cc: VW India Marketing Head; second key after sales person; customer care

“Dear Mr. Chopra,

We regret for this inconvenience.

We will personally investigate the case and appoint our VW Technical expert to investigate the case and will provide you feedback on the same.

We assure you that the car will be thoroughly checked and delivered after complete investigations.

Please be rest assured on the same. In case your brother requires any mobility assistance from our side, please let me know, will arrange the same on priority basis.

Regards,
Key Person – After Sales”

09 June 2014 - 1:16 PM – I reply to the mail from After Sales.

CC: VW India Marketing Head; second key after sales person; customer care

“Dear (Key Person After Sales),

Thank you for a quick reply.

I leave the car in your good hands and for now take your words that all problems in the car will be investigated and rectified before I get it back.

I will wait for the feedback.

Lastly, thank you for offering mobility assistance. Currently, we do not require a back up vehicle as other reliable workhorses are doing the need full. In case, we need a back up, I will let you know.

thanks and regards
Gaurav Chopra
S/O Vijay Chopra

From 09 June 2014 to 12 June 2014, we wait patiently for the reply from VW or from dealership.

12 June 2014 – evening around 5 PM – My brother gets a call from VW Moti Nagar – saying that the pump will be changed and it costs Rs 15k. Also the fuel along with fuel tank has been found dirty. The fuel tank will be cleaned (labour charges: 3500) and clean full will be filled again.

Around 5:30 PM: I give a call to the adviser and ask him for a surety that the car will not give any trouble in future once I get the pump changed. He refused to give any assurance. I told him that they changed me 3k for the coil and it was not the culprit, now they will charge me 20k for the fuel pump change and fuel tank cleaning. Now, if the problem persists, whats next, they will change some other component and ask me for money and I will keep giving it. NO.

I asked him to hold the work till next day morning and not start till I approve of the work.

13 June 2014 – I write a mail to the key person After Sales

Cc: VW India Marketing Head; second key after sales person; customer care

“Dear (Key Person After Sales),

I have been informed by dealership yesterday evening that they want to change the fuel pump and also clean they fuel tank as the same was found dirty. Moreover, supposedly clean petrol will be refilled as the fuel was also found dirty. They were seeking approval from me on the same. I have asked them to wait for the approval.

I have a few concerns, which I would want VW to address before I approve of the above mentioned work to be done.

All my cars are 90% filled at one petrol station, R.N.Motors, Peera Garhi for over 2 decades now. We have never faced fuel quality issues in our cars. The remaining time, the cars are filled at reputed pumps in and around chanakya puri area in Delhi. This particular car, Polo, has only been on one outstation trip to dehradun, that too couple of years ago. So, the chances of adulterated fuel being filled is minimal

I know it is difficult to contemplate on the quality of fuel but most OEMs make changes in their vehicles to make sure that the vehicle is compatible to quality of fuel available in India.

I have last week paid Rs 3k for a ignition coil, which was not the culprit for loss of power in the car. Now if I pay nearly Rs. 20k for the fuel pump change tank cleaning, and I get the same problem, then WHO is responsible. Next, VW would want to change something with the engine and ask me to pay couple of lac Rupees, do you expect me to pay for it

To keep it short,

1. I am not willing to pay Rs. 15,000 for fuel pump and Rs.3500 for fuel tank cleaning plus any other additional charges. This is because I am sure that the problems in this car will arise again.

2. Once your technical expert is finished with checking the car, I need a written confirmation that this car will not trouble me for next 50k kms or 2 years and if something happens (apart from normal wear and tear), the entire module will be replaced by VW at its own cost and I will not be expected to pay a single penny.

These are my two conditions that I am not really willing to negotiate on. Its either a yes or a no.

If it is a Yes, I will give approval for the work (after I get a written confirmation).

If it is a No, I take my car from VW Moti Nagar never to return again.
Note: Please do not mail me with any other offers. I have had enough from this car and I do not have time to keep mailing again and again wasting your time and my time. If I am to be contacted over phone, I would request someone with authority to take a decision to call me.

Thanks and regards
Gaurav Chopra
S/O Mr. Vijay Chopra

13 May 2014 – around 2 PM. My brother gets a call from VW- Moti Nagar seeking approval for the job.

I call them back explaining that I have emailed the after-sales support, VW-India Marketing Head, customer care and others regarding the issue and that I am seeking assurance for next 50k kms and two years and that I will not pay for the problem in hand and for any problem (apart from wear and tear) that may arise in future.

3:20 PM– I get a call back from another person in VW – Moti Nagar. He was probably the first person I spoke to at VW – Moti Nagar who was courteous and willing to listen to the problem (Email effect – anyone?). He asks me what I should be done as the emails I send to VW are forwarded back to VW-Moti Nagar.

I was a bit surprised – I believe it is a duty of SENIORs sitting at VW to take a decision in case of a faulty car. Why were they send the emails back to service center. Any ways, I explained my conditions again to the adviser/manager and that either they are fulfilled or I take my car back as it is.

3:35 PM - I get a call back from the same aviser/manager from VW-Moti Nagar stating that he has gone through my car’s history etc etc and I have been regular at VW Moti Nagar. HE CLEARLY STATED THAT MY CAR IS OUT OF WARRANTY AND HENCE THERE IS NO SUPPORT FROM VW.

However, he extended support from dealer’s side and offered to wave off entire labour charges of about Rs.3.5k and 50% of the fuel pump cost of about Rs.7.5k (total cost of pump Rs.15k). To be very honest, any support from service center was the last thing I expected. But VW refusing any support was shocking, especially after the conversation with VW-India Marketing Head and the Key person in After sales that he referred my mail to.

I completely refused from any support from ASC. I said that even if they wave of the entire amount, I do not want my car fixed without an assurance from VW. However, the adviser was very insistent that they will not hand me the car without fixing the problem (emails again- anyone)? After negotiating, he waved of the entire amount of about Rs 18.5k and asked me to pay for the petrol. I again insisted that the ASC doesn’t need to extend this favour, especially when VW has pulled their hand off. But the adviser remained insistent and told me that he is ordering to get the job started and that I pay only the petrol cost of about Rs.750/- (10 Litres). I had no other option but to agree at this point. I had had enough of emails and service center calls and it was nothing but a vicious circle.

14 May 2014 – afternoon – I get a call from the service center that the car has been tested for nearly 40 kms and no problems have been found. The car was ready to be picked up. My brother finally picked up the car on 15 May in the morning. For now, the car drives ok.

I have a few doubts of my own

1. Can VW Moti Nagar extend such a support? If yes, did they have to do it after all those emails and pressure?

2. If VW Moti Nagar cannot do it? Was it the attempt of VW to get rid of the trouble this time for free without giving assurance for the future. I still believe this is more so the case, considering no one from VW replied to my last email, which had my conditions.

Whatever the case, we really don’t care about the car anymore, the other cars for now are doing the need full. My brother doesn’t even want to drive it anymore. Do I want to sell it? Yes. Does my brother want to sell it? Yes. Does my dad want to sell it? No. Lets see for how long we can hang on to this piece of junk.

NOTE TO VW – THANK YOU AGAIN FOR NO SUPPORT OR FOR A LACLUSTURED ONE.

I will make sure that I abide by my right and responsibility to share my experience with others on social media platforms and automotive forums considering the fact that VW was not able to redress my situation. So, please watch out for every possible space on automotive forums and facebook pages of VW and Media for a link to this page. I have not been using twitter, but I guess I have a good reason to start using it now!

Thanks Again for reminding me that even to this date “All the best stuff is Made in Japan” or from Japan!

Gaurav Chopra.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 16th June 2014 at 23:19.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 23:42   #154
Senior - BHPian

re: My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Thanks Again for reminding me that even to this date “All the best stuff is Made in Japan” or from Japan!

Gaurav Chopra.
[/b]
Gaurav, I think my BP shot up after I was done reading your post. Japanese guys are the only ones who know a thing or two about after sales. No Skoda/VW can even come 1 billion miles close.

Sell this piece of Junk called Polo and buy something Japanese and enjoy the drive with an assurance that big daddy Maruti ( or any of the other Japenese ones) will look after you no matter what.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 23:53   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Gaurav, I think my BP shot up after I was done reading your post. Japanese guys are the only ones who know a thing or two about after sales. No Skoda/VW can even come 1 billion miles close.

Sell this piece of Junk called Polo and buy something Japanese and enjoy the drive with an assurance that big daddy Maruti ( or any of the other Japenese ones) will look after you no matter what.
In India I've owned Japanese, Korean, American as well as European cars. By far the most responsive and customer friendly service I have seen here is by Fiat. I guess that is probably an upshot of them selling such few cars. They did call me of their own accord to change some component of the AC in the Linea - I did not ask them for it. After the Warranty expired, they changed another component as a goodwill gesture when I pointed out that it was an earlier problem as well. Admittedly it took a few stinkers to reach the guys on top, but all in all, it was not terrible. VW is a nightmare - in the same realm as the Skoda guys.
invidious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 00:08   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That sounded like a advertisement of Maruti. I don't have high regards for VW sales and support in India. But don't like panning of Polo in this manner. I also got the Polo around the same time as Gaurav. I have not come across a single major complaint or niggle in this 4 years and has completed around 50K Km in all kinds of terrains.
The fact is that he got a lemon and this can happen with any brand. Calling Polo a piece of junk is taking things to the extreme.

Last edited by poloman : 17th June 2014 at 00:10.
poloman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 00:20   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
In India I've owned Japanese, Korean, American as well as European cars. By far the most responsive and customer friendly service I have seen here is by Fiat. I guess that is probably an upshot of them selling such few cars. They did call me of their own accord to change some component of the AC in the Linea - I did not ask them for it. After the Warranty expired, they changed another component as a goodwill gesture when I pointed out that it was an earlier problem as well. Admittedly it took a few stinkers to reach the guys on top, but all in all, it was not terrible. VW is a nightmare - in the same realm as the Skoda guys.
Well, Fiats after sales service is improving after their divorce from Tata. The good or the bad reviews, whatever I have read, have been on team-bhp as none of my immediate near ones own a Fiat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
That sounded like a advertisement of Maruti. I don't have high regards for VW sales and support in India. But don't like panning of Polo in this manner. I also got the Polo around the same time as Gaurav. I have not come across a single major complaint or niggle in this 4 years and has completed around 50K Km in all kinds of terrains.
The fact is that he got a lemon and this can happen with any brand. Calling Polo a piece of junk is taking things to the extreme.
Maruti does not need advertisement and secondly their after sales service is excellent, what's wrong in mentioning that ?

And I called 'his' Polo a piece of junk because of the number of problems he has faced, not all Polo's are junk, although I am not particularly a fan of that car.

Oh yes, Lemon can happen to any brand, but how the after sales service as well as the company takes care of the customer is what separates a Maruti from a VW/Skoda.
humyum is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 00:25   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well its not just about Maruti, but Japanese on the whole who have proved their reliability over decades. The Honda and Mitsubishi we have at home are equally reliable.

Regarding selling the car, I believe it will remain as an extra car for a while before we sell it and buy something else.

Quote:
I don't have high regards for VW sales and support in India. But don't like panning of Polo in this manner. I also got the Polo around the same time as Gaurav. I have not come across a single major complaint or niggle in this 4 years and has completed around 50K Km in all kinds of terrains.
You need to thank god that your car turned out ok. I completely agree with your point that a lemon can come with any brand. But it is the attitude to serve the customer that matters. Looks like you didnt go through the entire post. VWs attitude all this while has been supercilious and that is completely unwarranted.

Regarding calling polo a piece of junk - you sometimes needs to step in other's shoes to understand the perspective. Anyways, I can get you access to atleast 4 different people in my circle who have had problems with their polo, vento and Jetta (Airbags failing within 1 year).

Its great to be loyal to a brand, I am for that matter very loyal to Mitsubishi, But closing your eyes to a negative review doesnt solve any purpose.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 04:51   #159
BHPian

gaurav,

Thanks for sharing this horrible experience. My brother has decided to buy a car. The choice was between a VW Vento and a Swift Dezire. He "THOUGHT" Vento is the best among the two.

After reading your horrific story, he was shocked and immediately decided to go for Swift Dezire. And I am sure there are many others who would do that after they read the above mails.

I consider this as an insult to the customer, who spends a lot to buy the product and gets ignored when issues crop up.

VW India, this is not the right way to treat a Customer.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 05:45   #160
Senior - BHPian

Appalling but if VW can do this in Australia, I have little or actually no hope when it comes to our customer lemon laws.
extreme_torque is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 10:06   #161
BANNED

Quote:
Arrogance personified! German piece of junk (POLO) plus overconfident VW – perfect mixture for CHAOS
Man, hats off to you and you family to bear with this company and the lemon that they sold you. I just came across this thread by the shock reading the title. I could not read it on my mobile (using the App) as the post was so long so had to read it on my laptop screen.

I feel miserable that the customer care team is arrogant and head-strong attitude to not answer calls and respond to the issue, fail to understand how these guys are promoted and on what basis to manager levels. Customer care (Manager cadre) is a painful and nail-biting job as the person has to be worried 24 x 7 as to what issue will crop up and which customer will complain in what manner. Since I am in the QA department of an FMCG company, I understand how the dealing must proceed with a customer.

Simple golden rule that VW is forgetting:

Customer is God!

Some on need to hit them hard and make them realize and learn from other manufacturers as to how to deal with customer issues.

If you car would have been an Hyundai or a Maruti Suzuki, I am dead sure the issue would not have dragged so far. May be a mail or two would have sorted the problem. So many would have bought a new car (replacement I mean ).

Question to GC: How is the car now after the fuel pump change?

Quote:
Any sane person's BP ought to shoot up after reading this post of GC!

Quote:
Sell this piece of Junk called Polo and buy something
Agree with you.

Quote:
But don't like panning of Polo in this manner.
We are not bashing the Polo as a car here but getting the facts regarding the car aka lemon sold by VW. Here the focus is all about VW after sales and service. The poor Polo was just a medium .

Quote:
I also got the Polo around the same time as Gaurav. I have not come across a single major complaint or niggle in this 4 years and has completed around 50K Km in all kinds of terrains.
The issue here is NOT about a lemon or the Polo but the methods and procedures used to deal with a customer who is facing harrowing issues since purchase.

You are lucky, thank you stars thank the car to be fine all this while. Criticism needs to be taken positively as the purpose of this thread is to educate the readers of how VW deals with issues.

What would you have done if the same Polo that GC is owning now was with you and you had to go through this harrowing experience? Hand-on-heart answer please.

Quote:
Its great to be loyal to a brand, I am for that matter very loyal to Mitsubishi, But closing your eyes to a negative review doesn't solve any purpose.
+1 GC.

All the best buddy, may you soon own a reliable workhorse that spends more of its time with the owner + road instead of ASC.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th June 2014 at 10:08.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 10:56   #162
BHPian

The callous attitude from Volkswagen is pitiable and needs to be condemned. People are fooled in the name of German Engineering and service wise its really a no deal. Was thinking of migrating to another brand from Maruti. I will think many a times now .After reading post #153 ,I am unable to just sit and see this arrogance.Will see that this information reach out.
commonman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 11:57   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

We are not bashing the Polo as a car here but getting the facts regarding the car aka lemon sold by VW. Here the focus is all about VW after sales and service. The poor Polo was just a medium .

The issue here is NOT about a lemon or the Polo but the methods and procedures used to deal with a customer who is facing harrowing issues since purchase.

You are lucky, thank you stars thank the car to be fine all this while. Criticism needs to be taken positively as the purpose of this thread is to educate the readers of how VW deals with issues.

What would you have done if the same Polo that GC is owning now was with you and you had to go through this harrowing experience? Hand-on-heart answer please.

Anurag.
I myself have been a big critic of VW service. Go back and read some of my posts 2-3 years back. I think everyone will agree on two aspects, the car is a lemon and the VW response was being extremely lackadaisical. Other than that what else could have been done differently? The bill of around 18K has been waived off even when the car was out of extended warranty. How can a car manufacturer or dealer guarantee that nothing is going go wrong in 4.5 year old car? You can read numerous horror stories of Maruti support on this forum itself. So my only grudge is against passing sweeping judgements.

Last edited by poloman : 17th June 2014 at 12:00.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 12:02   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That sounded like a advertisement of Maruti...
Sorry, but you need to own a Maruti to understand what he meant! Compared to the miniscule units tha VW / Skoda sells against Maruti and the kind of treatment you get even for cheaper vehicles owned, it's beyond words!

Quote:
I hope the car doesn't trouble you much more. I suggest you send them (VW) a link to the post so that there is some uneasiness in the VW camp! At least, this post will haunt those who are named, for the rest of their life. This may prompt them to work for a company with better ethics, in future.

Frankly, the way they behave, I really want VW / Skoda to "adorn" the last spot in the sales chart. Every time they hit a new low, I usually grin ear-to-ear.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th June 2014 at 12:05.
swiftnfurious is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 12:27   #165
BANNED

Quote:

You can read numerous horror stories of Maruti support on this forum itself. So my only grudge is against passing sweeping judgements.
SnF ha just put down what I wanted. So I skip posting further.

Horror stories are there for EVERY manufacturer, I agree, but the number of stories if put in a weighing scale comprising of VW and Skoda in one end and the rest on the other, the scale will tip down due to the weight of VW and Skoda.

I am NOT degrading Skoda and VW now but just pointing out their ways of work that are utter against consumer service.

Note: This is in NO WAY a personal attack on you so no offence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Compared to the miniscule units tha VW / Skoda sells against Maruti and the kind of treatment you get even for cheaper vehicles owned, it's beyond words!

Every time they hit a new low, I usually grin ear-to-ear.
Thanks.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks