Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2014, 11:43   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Man, hats off to you and you family to bear with this company and the lemon that they sold you.

Simple golden rule that VW is forgetting:

Customer is God!
touché! Thats one simple rule, which differentiates winners from losers!

I am sure that your job profile is tedious, but I am also sure that your company's customers go home happy despite initial complaints, if any! Reason: the RULE!

Quote:
Some on need to hit them hard and make them realize and learn from other manufacturers as to how to deal with customer issues.If you car would have been an Hyundai or a Maruti Suzuki, I am dead sure the issue would not have dragged so far. May be a mail or two would have sorted the problem. So many would have bought a new car (replacement I mean ).
VW in the past couple of years have hired most of their top management from Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai and Tata. When seniors coming from such companies can ignore complaints like this, I am wondering if its the top management in India or that in Germany which is not SERIOUS about INDIA.

Regarding the replacement, getting it is next to impossible, especially in a country like ours. But atleast other OEMs such as MS, hyundai, Honda and others try to help the customer.

Quote:
Question to GC: How is the car now after the fuel pump change?
Havent driven it to be very honest, have been keeping busy. My brother drove it from ASC to home (about 6-7 kms). That time it was fine. Since then, it is parked!

Quote:
What would you have done if the same Polo that GC is owning now was with you and you had to go through this harrowing experience? Hand-on-heart answer please.
That my dear is the right question!

Quote:
All the best buddy, may you soon own a reliable workhorse that spends more of its time with the owner + road instead of ASC.
Thanks dude, I bought a pre-owned baleno a few weeks back and thought that I would give some rest to cedia (now that its over 1.23 lac kms). But looks like the workhorse doesnt have rest in its destiny. I will mostly be driving baleno (after I install cng), for my daily long runs (100 kms or more). And Cedia will be driven by my brother. The polo for now will remain as the third car. When Polo leaves, we may get some diesel car, still undecided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
Will see that this information reach out.
I will be glad. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I hope the car doesn't trouble you much more. I suggest you send them (VW) a link to the post so that there is some uneasiness in the VW camp! At least, this post will haunt those who are named, for the rest of their life. This may prompt them to work for a company with better ethics, in future.
I have been posting on their FB wall, I am sure, it will get to them, sooner or later. And I wont stop posting the link till I make sure that anyone who is on team bhp or on FB pages of VW and other auto magazines have read this thread before buying a VW.

Quote:
Frankly, the way they behave, I really want VW / Skoda to "adorn" the last spot in the sales chart. Every time they hit a new low, I usually grin ear-to-ear.
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Its so dis-heartening to have such an experience with our beloved vehicles. I can understand Mahindras & Tatas (if they're in a similar manner) because they've got permanent business from the government to such an extent they don't have to worry about the vehicles sold to the general public.
I havent owned a mahindra ever, but to be very Honest, the Tata Indica we once owned was still much more reliable, despite the fact that it had its own niggling issues. The car lasted 2.5 lac kms with us. The initial 1.5 lac kms with us driving it and the next 1 lac kms as a vehicle for our labour to get to sites! The engine was overhauled at 1.47 lac kms, with no engine issues in between.

Quote:
I'm just left wondering despite quite a lot of hues and cries, doesn't VW group care at all? That's where I feel your title is the best! - Arrogance!
Thats exactly the point, no one apart from VW India - Marketing head bothered to help. But there is so much so that he could do!

Quote:
I've also had a similar experience with my Skoda dealer and now fighting for it, please read it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3456019

The bottom line: Good cars, bad dealers/service centers and POOR OEM support! Phew!
Shuu, let me go through your thread and I will reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Neither they are going to oblige free repair and replacement now on since the warranty is over.
FYI, I know of more than 5 Cedias including mine which were way beyond the warranty period. The clockspring (in the steering wheel) of all the cars conked off after a few years (4-5 years or more and with 2 cars nearly 80k kms or more). All these cars otherwise were extremely reliable. One email to HM-Mitsubishi by each owner individually at different period of time and they straight away offered 50% off on part and no labour!

Quote:
He should have either pushed for a new car (really hard) when major problems started creeping up or sold the car off once it was delivered road worthy for the first time. Now also my advice will be to sell off the car to save oneself from further frustration.
Do you really think that the OEM replaces the car that easily even if you push hard. There is practically only one way to the get the car replaced - Consumer Court! And did I just say going to consumer court is practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Surprised to note that a fuel pump malfunction can happen in a 4 year old car, that too from a global German Auto brand!
I agree that the quality of fuel in India (mainly south) is pretty bad. However, we are in Delhi and we have been filling fuel in all our cars mainly from one fuel pump. So, the chances of fuel pump going kaput because of adulterated fuel is minimal. Moreover, every OEM make some changes in engines to make them compatible with furl available generally in India.

For that matter, quiet a few cedias had fuel pump issues down south due to adulterated fuel. As a part of an informal recall, HM made sure that they changed fuel pumps of most if not all cedias, even when cars in other parts of country didn't have any noticeable fuel pump issues.

Quote:
Secondly, after this major issue was brought to the notice of VW Marketing & Service Head, they should have acknowledged this serious fault with the car & then ensured it is thoroughly investigated, necessary components replaced & rectified and ensured car is running fine perfectly before handing back to the customer.
As I said earlier, looks like people in Germany itself doesn't care.

Quote:
If the SC is bad, we can go to the Company, but if the Company is not ready to listen & help, where will you go?
I am still waiting for an answer to this question from VW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBeast View Post
They only did that because they had no excuses to give, after the facts that Gaurav presented to the customer care and higher officials. It is quite clear that they had been shooting in the dark and had failed repeatedly in diagnosing the root cause. Would they have waved off the bill if they were so sure that they handled the case right from the beginning? I don't think so.
Thanks for answering. I completely agree with ALL your points!

Quote:
Did @GC request for a replacement of the car anywhere?

What he has requested is to diagnose the problem accurately! Isn't that tough for the parent company to oblige for? What he re-iterated to them is that do NOT change parts without making sure it's faulty and still charge him for a non-faulty part. It's well within his rights.

Again, these problems first cropped up during his warranty period which still has NOT been rectified. If fuel pump was the "actual" faulty part, they should have replaced it when the issue was reported the first time, which was within the warranty period. Just because they were incapable to find the root of the issue and always tried a "hit & miss" at the expense of the customer, it's NOT really professional of them to wash their hands off the responsibility.

Another point that @GC requested is to assure him that the car will NOT have further issue once they repair it, for 2 years. They have NOT done it - So much is the confidence they have on their own product!
Thanks for understanding the perspective and making things clear.

I have a question for everyone here. Let me put it in Bold Block letters.

HOW MANY CUSTOMERS ACTUALLY HAVE EMAIL IDS OF SENIOR OFFICIALS? I DO NOT HAVE FIGURES BUT I BELIEVE THE NUMBER WOULD BE IN SINGLE DIGITS, WHEN IN PERCENTAGE.

NOW THINK, IF THIS IS THE RESPONSE FROM VW WHEN THEIR TOP OFFICIALS ARE IN THE LOOP, HOW WOULD CUSTOMER CARE BE TREATING AN AVERAGE CUSTOMER WHO REACHES THEM ONLY ON customer.care@volkswagen.co.in! It can be anyone of us.

In between: getting access to email ids (along with respective positions) require some google search and some common sense.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 18th June 2014 at 11:53.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 12:38   #182
BHPian

I believe its in the individual's personality about how much they care about their customers. In this case the higher ups at VW lack that personality, and this is what MUL gains at.

I believe any issue identified in a sold car should be seen as an opportunity and not a threat. In this case had the dealer given their best and fixed the issues for no cost at first visit could have been a really cheap investment, with Gaurav becoming their permanent customer and willing to shell out money for any future issues.

We could have seen a rather different thread today with people talking good things about VW.

I am a perfect example of this gesture. After having paid a lot of money, lot of heated email exchanged between Fiat/I/KHT, I knocked the doors of Vecto. I explained my plight which Vecto took as an opportunity and here I am - their permanent customer (fingers crossed, touchwood).

Hope this simple math is understood by those top-B school graduates at higher ups in auto majors who are doing nothing but giving their best to shrink the company.

P.S. Hyundai is following the track of VW these days of looting customers. I personally know three major i20 cases(my colleague in blr my neighbor in blr and my cousin in mumbai) which has gone unreported. So its best we do not quote Hyundai as a benchmark, they are no different either.

My Personal experience with Fiat is volatile. Thankfully no major issue with the car as faced by Gaurav.
Old 18th June 2014, 13:17   #183
BHPian

Is there some kind of trend emerging for VW/Skoda here.

Not many months ago, a Skoda Yeti owner in Mumbai got press coverage due to his battle with Skoda for a fuel pump that went bust in his Yeti. Again, Skoda blamed the quality of fuel.

Is this a repetitive occurrence for VW and Skoda?

@Gaurav - Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I just hope things get better.
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 13:47   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Sell this piece of Junk called Polo and buy something Japanese and enjoy the drive with an assurance that big daddy Maruti ( or any of the other Japenese ones) will look after you no matter what.
Quote:
Sorry, but you need to own a Maruti to understand what he meant!
Quote:
That sounded like a advertisement of Maruti.
Such proselytism is nauseating. It is okay to promote products that you love. But to do that when tragedy strikes somebody is repulsive. Let him try to fix his issues first. The salesmen of Japanese brands can wait.
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 15:13   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Such proselytism is nauseating. It is okay to promote products that you love. But to do that when tragedy strikes somebody is repulsive. Let him try to fix his issues first. The salesmen of Japanese brands can wait.
I think you should focus and try to understand the meaning / context of the posts before you unleash your fancy language! The OP himself has Japanese steeds in his garage and has rated those far above the "European marvel" in question. So no one has to promote a Japanese brand to him. To quote him,

Quote:
Arrogance personified! German piece of junk (POLO) plus overconfident VW – perfect mixture for CHAOS

- April 2010 – Unfortunately cancelled the booking of Maruti Suzuki Swift Diesel and bought the New VW Polo – because you said ‘German Engineering – Made in India’. Over the period of 4 years, VW proved that my decision was completely absurd!..
FYI, our guy has been "trying" to get his issues fixed for the past 4 years - right from the 6th month of his ownership and he has no proper solution in sight yet. While compassionate people who shares his pain can advise him to stick on to this "premium" vehicle and waste his effort and cash while fanboys like me shall suggest him brands/cars which will run trouble free without "sitting" in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
...until all nuts fall apart!
That's gonna take a while; after all, VW have premium & sturdy build!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th June 2014 at 15:14.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 15:36   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Have tweeted this link and shared on FB as well. The least we can do is to make sure they lose at least a 100 cars owing to this one.

PS: Sell the junk and save some of the head/heartache. I know it won't be a financially prudent decision but what the heck! Peace of mind is important as well.

Good luck GC!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 16:19   #187
BHPian

Well. As the owner of a fairly new (June 2013) Polo, it would be an understatement to say that this thread has caused me some trepidation.

Why did I buy the Polo?

1. She is my first car, and my sister bought a Vento in 2012.
2. I had just learnt driving so my fiancee (now my wife) took most of the TDs.
3. Both of us fell in love with the looks and the build quality.
4. Final nail in the coffin: I didn't know about Team BHP then.

To be fair though, I have had no issues (just a couple of niggles) so far. My experiences with VW A.S.S. (Thane and Andheri) have also been quite pleasant. My first annual service is coming up on Saturday, and my fingers are crossed.

For the record, I still think the Polo is the most beautiful hatch on Indian roads.

"A Ferrari with a flat battery is an aesthetic thing. You can look at it!"
Old 18th June 2014, 16:49   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
To be fair though, I have had no issues (just a couple of niggles) so far. My experiences with VW A.S.S. (Thane and Andheri) have also been quite pleasant. My first annual service is coming up on Saturday, and my fingers are crossed.

For the record, I still think the Polo is the most beautiful hatch on Indian roads.
Agree it looks good, no doubt in that.

A small advice since your car will be going for service soon, just send this thread URL to the service manager and the advisor for a more better service and they be cautious about their customer service.

Anurag.
Old 18th June 2014, 18:19   #189
Senior - BHPian

My Vento had gear lever vibrations since day one. They took 5 or 6 visits to change the gearbox mount. I still have a little vibrations in the lever in 4th gear.

The engine makes the rackety sound that all are familiar. The SA asked me to update the ECU which might solve the issue else fuel injectors have to be replaced costing 42K. There is no problem as such but its disconcerting to hear such things about a German quality car.

Other than on highway, these German cars dont seem that refined !
Old 18th June 2014, 19:02   #190
Senior - BHPian

@Gaurav: Somehow I don't remember seeing this thread earlier. Not sure why.

Some threads should be made sticky so that they can reach a wider audience.

I would suggest you get a second opinion about the car from a trusted workshop outside dealing with German cars.

I know this does not solve the underlying problem (unreliable car, pathetic customer service), but perhaps you will save time and money and use the car better if they can diagnose the problem?
Old 18th June 2014, 19:11   #191
BHPian

Oh gosh! Many a time our impression on the company is made by and large by the after-sales-service, apart from the quality of the product. The ASCs should be the evangelists for the company, since many a times, esp in the Indian context we retain our cars for a long time, and mostly the same service center.

Given that my AStar is due for replacement in the second half of next year, I was planning to move to a European car (Fiat/VW/Skoda) for a hatch. Reading all the hassles Gaurav had to go through, I think I need to keep a tab on all the Polo & Fiat issues before deciding to make a switch from Maruti. All 3 Cars from Maruti have been trouble free, and ASC well behaved and helpful. Be it the Alto Xfun in Gurgaon(sold with a heavy heart while leaving Gurgaon), the SX4 in Chennai and Astar from Hyd(now in Chennai), I have never had a cause for concern on the product or their asc. Probably switching might not be a good idea after all!!

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 18th June 2014 at 19:12.
raghu.t.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 19:55   #192
Senior - BHPian

Really sorry to read about your experiences with VW, but this seems to be a management issue with the group. The Skoda horror stories are too many to recount. Even if this particular car is a lemon, the attitude of the management is not acceptable at all. Taking the Indian public for granted seems to be their strategy. I guess, this is the key reason why Maruti and Hyundai top the charts in terms of sales, year after year. The sheer peace of mind that you get with them is worth the rattles and thinner sheet metal. I agree that VW is probably safer in the event of a collision, but what is the use of a car that breaks down so frequently and which cannot be considered a reliable drive?
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 20:33   #193
Senior - BHPian

How come I missed this thread for such a long time! But better late than never, as I was about to book a Polo GT-TSI. Looks like a Honda City will join the Garage now.

Your experience is indeed disheartening. VW/Skoda do have great products in their portfolio but such cases of pathetic Customer Support force the potential customers to look at more reliable alternatives.

I agree with many here that Japanese brands (Suzuki, Honda, Hyundai) are doing a fairly good job in providing assistance to the customers. And this is the primary reason for the upward incline in their Sale's charts.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 22:48   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
HumYum !! Because of absolute lack of proper law / control in India, these manufacturers become big / over charge for there cars when in India as the demand and brand recognition shoots.
Classic example - Honda earlier and now Hyundai & VW.

Just to give you an example, my friend is having a similar engine issue with his swift Diesel ... engine vibrations, loss of power intermittently and engine head worked upon but in vain on a new car.

So its not necessary that Japanese are the best but yes they definitely have a better chance of fairing.
Baba, but the absolute lack of proper laws applies to a Maruti too, Why is that in spite of them knowing that they won't get caught on the wrong foot when it came to the law, they still put their mind and energy to keep the customer happy ? How many cases have you heard right here on teambhp where in a customer a customer has not had his problems addressed ?

Quote:
I am extremely sympathetic to GC who has been one of the early owners of the Polo as I mentioned. But you need to be realistic in your expectations. Do you think that any manufacturer will agree for a replacement after 5 years? Neither they are going to oblige free repair and replacement now on since the warranty is over. He should have either pushed for a new car (really hard) when major problems started creeping up or sold the car off once it was delivered road worthy for the first time. Now also my advice will be to sell off the car to save oneself from further frustration.

WHAT ? When the car has been giving trouble for 5 long years with 2 heads finished, ignition coils gone, bla bla bla, all he can ask for is a guarantee that nothing will go wrong further, is that too much to ask for? And why should there be not a guarantee on workman ship ? Its a 1.2 liter petrol car, life cannot get simpler than this, no turbo, nothing, there are in total 5 to 7 things to check in this, if that too they can't check and guarantee a customer no future problems, they better shut shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post

Maruti does not need any kind of promotion, not from fan boys, not from anyone, their service standards are enough to do the same. No one here was promoting Maruti, just mentioning the standards which were expected from a manufacturer like VW and what GC got in return and this was done by comparing it with a manufacturer like Maruti.

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2014 at 09:28. Reason: Quoted post edited
humyum is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 23:23   #195
BHPian

After all of this you will still see/read motoring magazines/shows praising these germans of their build quality and often speaking rubbish about them being built to last forever. Would be nice to take a printout of all the Team BHP German car issues threads and shove them down their throats to finally make these idiots stop!

But all that aside what I want to ask you is why you didn't consider taking VW to the court since it is obvious as daylight that this a lemon and hence needs to be replaced with a new car or at-least a new engine.

Our top guy G.T.O got his Lemon Merc C class replaced right? If he can do it there must be some hope for others right? I mean there is a limit to what a guy can suffer isn't it?

What if your Polo goes wrong again tomorrow? Are you again going to pay the bill?

Its not a case of whether it can be fixed or not. It is a case of why the hell it's happening the main issue here.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2014 at 13:10. Reason: No inappropriate words on Team-BHP please (removing b***s**t)
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks