Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 15:13   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Congrats on the purchase anshuman. If I may ask, what made you to decide on the Fortuner? How is it as compared to the Endy? Did you also TD the Endeavour? I think the features provided on the Endy is long and quiet exhaustive.
Thank you, I did Testdrive the new Endeavour Automatic, i liked the SUV. Here is a review by me: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...automatic.html.

But I found the Fortuner better. Just for a quick comparison i would like to state some points.
  • I liked the Interiors and Equipment in Endy more than the Fortuner.
  • I loved Pre-facelift Endeavour's looks, the new Endeavour does not appeal to me much.
  • The Low set seats and Ride at rear spoil the otherwise great experience.
  • I found the Handling in Fortuner to be a lot better than the Endeavour, possibly due to AWD and coil spring suspension.
  • The Resale value and long term reliablity are huge positives for Fortuner.
  • I liked engines in both the SUVs, while the Endeavour has a punchier mid-range, the Fortuner scores with the linear power delivery with no noticable turbo-lag
  • Sadly the Fortuner does not come with a AT option, and the Endeavour with a MT option.
  • The Endeavour has seen many facelifts but under the skin it's a dated SUV that has been around since ages.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th May 2010 at 15:16.
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:19   #47
BANNED

Anshuman, please update your thread with some odo details, service updates, journeys, issues if any, FE and other details Sir, its been long now.

No Fortuner threads are being updated at all. What do fans like me do now?
Old 1st September 2010, 12:41   #48
BHPian

First off CONGRATULATIONS on buying the Fortuner!! In my opinion it is the best value for money vehicle in the 20 lac bracket. The Quality that Toyota provides and the confidence it it inspires in its customers is unmatched by any other company thus far.

I have a White Fortuner too and i feel it looks the best in this color of the options currently available..you WILL NOT like mine though coz it has too much of the chrome bits on it and a TRD Bodykit.

In my defence i had nothing to do with that. (You will have to read my thread "White Toyota Fortuner TRD kit delivered" for the whole story behind that.. ive even had some bits removed!..

Though i would suggest the Fender Mirror..it really does help.

Please continue to update your thread as there are too few Fortuner Ownership threads on this forum so far.

Wishing you a million miles of happy motoring!! (and with the Fortuner its entirely possible)
Old 7th November 2010, 23:07   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

20,000Kms. Update

My Apologies for not being able to update the thread for long. This is not my personal car so hope you understand.

The Fortuner has just crossed 20,000km mark and just came back after the 20k kms service. I thought this would be good time to update. Thanks to the monsoons the roads in Gurgaon are non-existent now. All is well even after a lot of abuse on the roads of Gur-GAANV. There are no issues to report, there isn't a single squeak/rattle, everything is working as good as it was on the delivery day. The car has been performing great all along. To sum it all- I do not have anything new to tell, everything is said and done in Post#1.

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00847.jpg

The best thing i liked about the car was the service experience. I went Toyota ASC just 15 minutes before closing time and asked them to perform a quick service this time, they said 1 hour, the truck delivered back with in half an hour. Cost = Just 3000bucks, that's even cheaper than my Punto(Fineprint: Toyota uses Mineral oil). But still 3000 bucks for a car that costs more than 20lakhs is CHEAP. What i do not like is there is a check up service every 5000kms, Oil change at 10k.

This SUV is built to last. It feels so sturdy, i can bet it will remain the same a decade later if maintained properly. The downside is it lacks the luxury feel on the inside, it's strictly utilitarian(But good one)

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00850.jpg

Ride is bouncy if compared to Cars and Pseudo-SUVs. Considering the high suspension travel, good off-road performance, live axle with non independent suspension and Body on chassis frame layout i feel it's perfectly acceptable. It's not Pajero good but it's not Endeavour bad either.

The Handling is on safer side, it won't excite you in the corners like a CRV or Outlander but it won't scare like a Endeavour in a tight corner. It surely feels top heavy like most SUVs of it's league, AWD does wonders in rain and gravelly conditions.

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00852.jpg

The gear ratios are well sorted. The lower gears are shorter and they get taller with higher gears, overall it offers a good balance between offroading and on road driving. The gear lever is placed a bit too high and shift action feels a bit crude for a SUV of this price. Personally, i would have loved to an AT option.

The engine has a very torquey low-end. It pulls very cleanly from as low as 1200rpm. Overall the power delivery is very linear, the torque stays all the way till the redline. The sudden rush at 2000rpm like seen in Captiva is absent, thanks to the linear power delivery. It feels slower than it actually is. This engine feels strained higher rpm, it's clearly not as rev happy as the Captiva.

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00853.jpg

The NVH is on higher side for a 20Lakh SUV. Vibrations can easily be felt at all engine speeds, the engine clatter intrudes the cabin all the time.

The Fortuner has been delivering 10.5kpl-11.5kpl in City use. On highways with speeds limited to 100kpl 14kpl is very easy to achive, or else 13kpl is what i have always seen. With 80 litre fuel tank the range is very good.

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00859.jpg

A few points-
  • AC is very powerful. Has Climate control but no Split Zones. All seats get vents.
  • Audio sounds too average. Has a In-Dash 6-CD Changer.
  • Steering controls standard. Also has controls for MFD.
  • Gear lever is set too high.
  • Low beam very weak, even with projector but does not blind oncoming traffic.
  • High beam very Powerful but blinding for oncoming traffic.
  • Driver's seat has very good under thigh support at lowest setting, Back support is very good too, lumbar support adjustment missing.
  • Not a single squeak or rattle.
  • Leather missing on the centre handrest.
  • Interiors and Equipment list could have been better.
  • Comes with 2 parking sensors with audio warning, Very Effective.
  • Storage space sufficient, all seats get individual glass holders.

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00860.jpg
Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00875.jpg
Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00877.jpg

More Pics to follow soon........

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th November 2010 at 23:09.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2010, 09:27   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

More Pics

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00849.jpg

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00851.jpg
Good Approach and Departure angles. Ground Clearance good.

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00816.jpg

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00856.jpg
^^ All Seats can be reclined.

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00857.jpg
^^ Max and Min legroom.

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00854.jpg
^^ To each his own.

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00855.jpg
^^ And the controls.

Toyota FORTUNER Ownership report.-dsc00858.jpg
^^ Power folding Mirrors standard. Illumination control for meters.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2010, 10:25   #51
BHPian

Nice update. The service cost is mind blowing. Its cheaper than even a 5 lakh diesel hatch (read Getz Crdi). As expected the updates will not have much being a Jap vehicle. Sometimes these cars are boring to own, as nothing happens to them.
Old 8th November 2010, 10:48   #52
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

enjoy reading about the solid success that the Fortuner is.

pity that it is so expensive to buy brand new

maybe one shall have to await the first crop of well kept used ones - in a year or two from now!
Old 8th November 2010, 12:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

.anshuman, Love you report.
I totally agree with all your opinions reagrding Fortuner.
I recently drove my friend's Fortuner for almost 500-600kms, I too have the same opinions as that of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Low beam very weak, even with projector but does not blind oncoming traffic.
Heck, everybody is facing the same Issue, can something be done on this ?
I had recently opened a thread on the same, Please check my Thread Can something be done on this ??
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2132569
Old 8th November 2010, 15:36   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
The service cost is mind blowing. Its cheaper than even a 5 lakh diesel hatch (read Getz Crdi).

Sometimes these cars are boring to own, as nothing happens to them.
I was also pleasantly surprised with the costs. My car was delivered in 30mins flat, it takes more than 30mins to get a job card at a typical Tata-Fiat ASC.

This thread was not updated for long, the reason is i did not have anything new to report. I hope it stays boring to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Pity that it is so expensive to buy brand new
Believe me it's worth the price for following factors:
  • It's the slowest depreciating vehicle in class.
  • FE is very good.
  • Cheap to maintain.
  • Reliability.
  • Indestructible build.
  • Road presence and Looks.
  • Simple construction without unnecessary gadgetry, built to last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
.anshuman, Love you report.

Heck, everybody is facing the same Issue, can something be done on this ?
I had recently opened a thread on the same, Please check my Thread Can something be done on this ??
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2132569
I am glad you liked the report.

Shift to Xenons in the low beam is the best solution to the problem, it already comes with projectors. The low beam focus is perfect, no need to fiddle with it.
Old 8th November 2010, 15:41   #55
Senior - BHPian

3k for service is just awesome

The thing about Honda/Toyota is they just keep running,you really won't have anything to report at all!!
Old 8th November 2010, 15:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

Its wonderful to hear about your Toyota living up to its indestructable image. Nothing to report is probably the best report you could give!
Old 8th November 2010, 16:37   #57
BANNED

Nice report mate..Being a Fortuner owner myself I am happy that I have made the right decision. The only problem for me is that I am not able to use her full potential. only3700 km in 10 months..I am embarrassed....
Cheers
Dilip.
Old 8th November 2010, 18:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

Nice report! If I had 20L I would surely buy a Fortuner today! its best SUV you can buy. Maintain her well and you can keep her for over a decade!

I just want to ask you why were you charged 3k for the service? Could you post a break up of the service cost please?
Old 9th November 2010, 12:00   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
II am glad you liked the report.

Shift to Xenons in the low beam is the best solution to the problem, it already comes with projectors. The low beam focus is perfect, no need to fiddle with it.
How would xenons solve the issue ?
How to get it converted to Xenons ?
How much would it cost for the conversion ?
Old 9th November 2010, 12:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

Great write-up and nice pics too! Really solid vehicle, this! Hope she continues serving you well!

Cheers!

Last edited by anekho : 9th November 2010 at 12:43.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks