Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 09:26   #1
@ri
BHPian

Hyundai i20 Asta - Herbie comes home!!!

Let me first give an introduction about Herbie for all.
Unlike his namesake the 1967 VW Beetle, my Herbie is the Hyundai i20 asta.
He is dark grey and definitely looks muscular and is male. He has a 1197 cc inline DOHC heart which is capable of churning out 80 PS power @ 4200 RPM.
The heart is mated to his muscular body thorough a silky smooth 5 speed Manual Transmission. His shoes are shod in 14 inch alloys with 185/65 R14 Spec Apollo Aceleres.

Now the interesting story on how I acquired my Herbie
Week - 3:
Wednesday evening and I am home early and on a call with Dad (he's Chennai based) as to why I badly need my own car. This is stage one of approval! Then I follow it up with Mom dear and after lots of sugar coated dialogs and requests, I get a OK we'll see reply.

Friday morning dad calls me sometime during the day and he asks me are you sure you need a car? Where will you park it? etc etc and What will you do with our time tested and wonderful companion Dhanno (a Phoenix red Maruti Suzuki 2001 Zen). end of Conversation I get a veiled Go ahead!!!

Saturday morning 8 AM. With the background reason of dropping Lil sis to college I kind of get mom's agreement to accompany me to the Car Showrooms (have done this a number of times before so it was kinda easy).
My mental shortlist included the Punto, i20 or the Polo, with a strong inclination towards the Punto.
Visit 1: Hyundai Showroom, TD of the i20 done, car seems to pull fine. I take it to a speed of 80.
Observations:
(a) Power decent, not a wow feeling
(b) Nimble steering a bit too light for my liking but certainly more weighted than the i10
(c) Spacious (Mom needed space)
(d) Feature rich. I loved the Folding ORVM with the indicators on them

Visit 2: VW Showroom, TD of the Polo done.
Observations:
(a) Amazing handling. Feels rock solid
(b) Like the deep throated horn, refreshingly different
(c) Mom is not smiling. Guess she found the back seats not to be adequate enough
(d) Good 15 Inch alloy wheels and nice air dam upfront
(e)Surprisingly low in features and the integrated audio does not have an Aux input
(f) Three pot engine which starts with a strange shudder but smooth later on.
(g) Three months wait time (this seals the fate!)

Visit 3: Tata - Fiat Showroom, TD of the Punto already done few days back with a colleague of mine. This time it was to give my mom a look into it.
Observations
(a) Nice rev happy engine with a nice engine note
(b) Blue & Me is really cool
(c) Driveabilty and handling good thanks to the heavier weight, HPS and stiff suspension. You can just glide over the smaller humps and potholes.
(d) Space not great at the back. The comparison point being the i20
(e) USB Connector in the glove box which also has the Blue & Me control unit restricting the space. Personally did not like this.

Finally zeroed in on the i20. decision being governed by the above mentioned and the Hyundai A. S. S.

Week -2
Sunday: Mom, Dad, Me and sis all go to the Hyundai showroom along with the Booking amount to finalize on the i20. All goes fine and Mom insists on a delivery date of 16th May. I am left wondering why... but don't bother asking a question. Later realise it is Akshay Tritiya. We are still undecided on the Color

Thursday: Get a call from the Showroom, that my car is allocated and I can take delivery anytime after Saturday. Now I am in a sticky situation. The car has come but I get it home!!!.... Aargh... start of a LOOOOOOONG wait and Mom is not going to compromise on the date!
Week -1
Day -6: Visit to the Yard, get to meet Herbie all in Dark Grey and I am just out of words. My very own car and a long cherished dream come true. It felt just amazing to just sit inside even if I would not be able to drive it.

Day -4 All bank formalities done and Draft handed over to the Dealer.

Day -2 Done with the registration and wait.............

Day -1 Wait.. Wait...and Wait........................... Each hour seems to be a day now!

Day -0 10 AM Sharp I am at the showroom all set to get Herbie home!!!
Formalities done signed a few papers and thats it... I am in the driving seat and
what a feeling that is as I am driving out with my family and a very close friend who drops in to be there with me just for the event!
I head straight to the Petrol Bunk to fill fuel as I am already getting a low fuel warning. Next stop the Temple near my place to do the customary Puja and breaking coconut etc etc.. and once all done I head out to whitefield and literally go around town and by the end of the day the ODO is already reading 120 Kms.

Now comes the observations of actually driving around in the car
1. The power seems decent enough and the engine doesnt seem to be too restrained either. I manage to do a top speed of 90KPH taking care not to go over 3000 RPM.
2. Engine noise is hardly audible in the cabin but there is some tyre noise that is seeping in! wish I had gone in for a replacements to Michelins.
3. The braking is just nice and pretty decisive.
4. The travel of the clutch is little too much. In the sense, it is making me stretch to floor it each time I am making a shift
5. The Gear shifting silky smooth and I am delighted
6. The climate control is perfect for me. Had heard lot about the innefectiveness of the A/C but I feel contended. I do not prefer it to be a chiller so I just set it to 22Deg and voila it keeps me comfortable and snug
7. The steering is light yes, but a tad better than the i10. Good in the city, need to see how it feels on the highway
8. The audio system does not have a "Pause" button!!!! 'cmon this is really funny for me and I am a bit irritated.
9. If I use a 4GB pen drive, The system does not "remember" where it had stopped last if I were to switch off the car completely. But with a 1GB stick it works fine.
10. Realisaion that the iPOD Connection cable is a strange one and pretty unique to Hyundai. Now I am trying to figure out where I can source that from. Any i20 Users who have this cable, please do share the info from where it can be sourced.

Planned Upgrades for Herbie... (based on availability of some cash)
1. Seat Covers (Leather preferably)
2. ICE upgrade. I want to retain the HU. So would probably want to have a good set of components up front and good coaxals on the rear doors. Then follow it up with a 4 channel amp and a sub in the boot.
3. K&N CAI (I have this on my Zen and am a big fan of it). I would love to plock it in as long as it doesnt cause trouble with the warranty.
Old 19th May 2010, 09:44   #2
BHPian

Congrats @ri, good write up, keep us posted on the ownership experience, and did you really find the I20 seats better than the Vista's? I shall go check the I20 once again.
Old 19th May 2010, 09:48   #3
BANNED

Oh.. I was hoping for another VW in Namma Bengaluru.

Congrats on your i20.

BTW, Vista seats are better than the i20.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:06   #4
@ri
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
did you really find the I20 seats better than the Vista's? I shall go check the I20 once again.
Yes the back seats are better but not the front. And most importantly... Vista and i20 is no comparison. The Fit & Finish, build quality, "Gasoline" Engine, Service, features just wide apart to even have a consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Oh.. I was hoping for another VW in Namma Bengaluru.
Wish Wish....
Old 19th May 2010, 10:12   #5
BHPian

Even i thought its a polo.....anyways im copyrighting the name "Rampyari" for my polo (since i cannot afford a beetle and im not akela)

And congrats on the i20. A full review with pics is in order. haven't really seen the new i20 petrol around here.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

hey @ri hearty Congrats buddy on your latest Love, I'm sure She's a Stunner!!

Not sure if its a Similar colour, but Dark Grey in Getz was one of my All time Fav Colours. Please do post some pics of your Herbie soon.

Which part of The Garden City are you from and where did you pick up your Herbie ??
Old 19th May 2010, 10:43   #7
@ri
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
hey @ri
Which part of The Garden City are you from and where did you pick up your Herbie ??
I stay at Banerghatta Road behind IIM B and picked up Herbie from Advaith, Residency road. Good sales staff and I got a good deal too

Here are some pics.... (taken from my mobile camera so not that great in resolution)
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Asta - Herbie comes home!!!-dsc01350.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - Herbie comes home!!!-dsc01351.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - Herbie comes home!!!-dsc01356.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - Herbie comes home!!!-dsc01357.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - Herbie comes home!!!-dsc01359.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - Herbie comes home!!!-dsc01360.jpg  

Old 19th May 2010, 10:50   #8
BHPian

@ri - Can you share the good deal?
Old 19th May 2010, 10:53   #9
BHPian

@@ri: brilliant choice! lovely color! as for the ipod cable why dont you try using the usb cable thats what i do and it works fine, the only issue is that you will not be able to see the name of the track that is being played!
drive safe!
Old 19th May 2010, 11:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Bro.
The car really looks kool.
Did u get any discounts or any thing free from the delear.
And from the pics , it look like you stay in Vijaya enclave.
Cheers
Old 19th May 2010, 11:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Please share the good deal you got ? How much was it OTR ? Even i'm in a dilemma between the Punto 1.4 and the i20 as a replacement for a City ZX, for my parents. As usual heart says Punto, but since mom will be using the car more i feel the i20 will be easier to drive in the city.

Put up some nice interior pics as well, with the new blue lighting and stuff...

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 19th May 2010 at 11:24.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow @ri just as I thought buddy, an Awesome Colour!!

My office is right opposite to Shopper's Stop on Bannerghatta road !! We should try and catch up sometime.
Would really love to meet your Herbie in person soon!!
Old 19th May 2010, 11:31   #13
BHPian

@ri : Great Buy and Good Color, But definetly something missing ! Got clue ? T-BHP Stickers ! PM me i can share some T-BHP Stickers

Vik0728: Buddy, I am also in the same proximity, Near Raghavendra Swamy Mutt. Let's all have small meet. What Say ?
Old 19th May 2010, 11:37   #14
@ri
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagxf View Post
@@ri: brilliant choice! lovely color! as for the ipod cable why dont you try using the usb cable thats what i do and it works fine, the only issue is that you will not be able to see the name of the track that is being played!
drive safe!
Thanks, will try that today. Meanwhile I got a call from the Dealer, they say they have an iPOD cable for 150 bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
@ri - Can you share the good deal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Congrats Bro.
The car really looks kool.
Did u get any discounts or any thing free from the delear.
And from the pics , it look like you stay in Vijaya enclave.
Cheers
Well.. You will not get any discounts from the dealership. What I did manage was to save some money by doing the insurance by myself and as freebies, I managed to get good CS20 Sunfilm from 3M, Teflon coating and a good set of floor mats and mudflaps etc. Believe me, this is the best offered by any dealership on the i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Even i'm in a dilemma between the Punto 1.4 and the i20 as a replacement for a City ZX, for my parents. As usual heart says Punto, but since mom will be using the car more i feel the i20 will be easier to drive in the city.

Put up some nice interior pics as well, with the new blue lighting and stuff...
My cousin picked up a Punto 1.4 Emotion Pack 2 weeks before. And as far as the handling is concerned the Punto is damn good. Pickup wise I fell the i20 is a tad better because of lighter weight. But I am sure on highways, the Punto is going to be better.
Driveability in the city, and feature wise... the i20 is better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
My office is right opposite to Shopper's Stop on Bannerghatta road !! We should try and catch up sometime.
Would really love to meet your Herbie in person soon!!
Sure.. just PM me :-)

@Otomobil: I have the stickers already but don't know where to put them. The rear glass window has the Dealership sticker already and the number plates that I got from the dealership is "BAD" I need to get them changed. Don't want to put the stickers on to the body yet!

and good idea... lets catch up on some weekend

Last edited by @ri : 19th May 2010 at 11:42.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:52   #15
BHPian

Congrats ri for the i20. Looks elegant in that grey shade. Get rid of that ribbon asap.
Happy driving with the 'i'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks