Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 15:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Got My White Pearl...

Hey fellow-Bhpians, it might come as a shock or sound like a blunder to many experts here, but I have picked up:

GETZ GLS 1.3 - PEARL WHITE !!

Got this baby on the 28 May '10 and ever since have not been able to post a review. Now all that exhiliration and excitement will come out in a long review guys, so please bare with me!!

I have been a member of this Petro-head forum for just over 4 months now and boy am I Glued to this ever since or what. In fact, I have learnt more on this forum in the recent past than I ever did from the time I bought my first car, Santro, nearly 4 yrs back.
After marriage in Jan this year, me and ma wifey had started cruising highways almost every fortnight. Suddenly, I had realized that my Sunshine Car was only built for the City and not the Highway!!

Fast Forward to April - I had started test driving cars and reading all these forums more intently now. I also knew that I wanted another hatchback since I had fallen in love with "Parking a Hatch In Bangalore" concept. The cars I test drove were:
I20 - I have never had any qualms with Hyundai and this was where I went first!!
Punto 1.4 - I knew that Diesel would never feature in my list. But man, this 1.4 engine felt like it was stuck in some time warp. I honestly felt that my Xing could Smoke this Punto in a 100m dash over and over!!
(I do repect Punto a lot and the above expression is purely IMO)
Swift 1.2 - I never really have liked the swift from the day 1 but had to try this for my wife's content. Both of us were on the same page after this TD though!!
Ford Figo - After Fiesta 1.6S, this was the car I would put my money on the looks department !! But still, could not even match the performance my Santro had spoilt me with.
Folks Polo - Very Classy but just not the Punch I wanted get knocked out with!!
I even went to an extent of booking a Palio Sport Style in April when I was promised of a Black one still available at the plant. I couldn't believe my luck on this but a week later I had to believe on my Luck, the bad one that is!! I got a call from fiat saying that since this was a BS-III made and manf. in April, I had to register it on my own outside Bangalore. Out went the Palio in Style.

During one of the visits to Hyundai for GC on my Santro in May, I bumped into the Delivery formality of a Getz Prime. Soon, I checked with one of the Salesperson by name Devendra for a TD on Getz. He said that TD was not available, but he could take me to the yard where I could have a look at the car.
Soon enough, the next day I was in the Yard and sat in the Getz GLS. I just Loved the Car. I had driven older Getz but this felt different, then again may be it was just me!! My wife had come along and both of us just loved the Space, comfort and the feel of the car. It had clocked 20Kms on the ODO. Got the Engine # and VIN #. Told Devendra that I was picking this car. It was Manufactured in March '10. Yippieee

Apparently, one of my uncles happened to know the GM of Advaith pretty well and a 'Request for Quotation' turned out to be a booking order for an Awesome discount. There was no non-sense either with the Data on the Car of the Deliverables. Guess, it helps knowing the right contacts.

Sold my Santro for a Whopping 3.2Lks!! She had done just under 30K Kms and was about 3.5yrs Old. I Loved her for everything she was.

The D-Day was 28th May. She had just clocked 22Kms now, PERFECT!! So, here I am on the 4th of June, exactly a week after getting my Getz. She has run for about 330Kms now. Here are some things I have noticed:

Pros:
Legendary Space & Comfort.
Smooth Transmission and 'Big Car' Feel.
More than Adequate Features for the Price tag of 4.8Lks OTR Bangalore.
For the first couple days, I drove her around with AC on All the time and contrary to popular beliefs, there was no power loss whatsoever.
I knew that she would not stay the way she was bought for Long. Amazing, After Sales Mod Capability.
Tilt Steering is a Bliss.

Cons:
Not too many supporters on my Choice!!
Beige Upholstry is a Magnet for dust.
Those tyres, man Pathetic is not the word!!

Will be updating the Pics this weekend since I have not had the time nor the resource for the same all these days.
I know that many people feel Getz is probably an outdated Car, probably on its last legs, not the Best in FE, etc. Frankly, I have always lived my life the way I wanted, without actually hurting anybody's emotions.
I Still Follow My Heart when it Comes to Relationships and this is one that will last a Long time for ME!!
Old 4th June 2010, 16:07   #2
BHPian

Congrats on the buy mate. You have one supporter in me. I own a 2007 Getz GVS. SO far so good. Never given me any problems.
Regarding the FE, it all depends on how you drive. I am consistently getting a mileage of 12 with 50-50 AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Frankly, I have always lived my life the way I wanted, without actually hurting anybody's emotions.
I Still Follow My Heart when it Comes to Relationships and this is one that will last a Long time for ME!!
Well said mate
I guess many of the Getz petrol owners followed their heart when it came to buying a car.
Wishing you lot of miles in your new ride. Drive safe

Last edited by zteg : 4th June 2010 at 16:16.
Old 4th June 2010, 16:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
In fact, I have learnt more on this forum in the recent past than I ever did from the time I bought my first car, Santro, nearly 4 yrs back.

Sold my Santro for a Whopping 3.2Lks!! She had done just under 30K Kms and was about 3.5yrs Old. I Loved her for everything she was.

The D-Day was 28th May. She had just clocked 22Kms now, PERFECT!! So, here I am on the 4th of June, exactly a week after getting my Getz.
Congrats Vik0728 for the new ride.

You wrote exactly my story.

The same story except my santro was 2006 XO model white in color.
And now my Getz Prime is 1.1(2008) in Dy Red in color.

Last edited by KALINGA : 4th June 2010 at 16:23.
Old 4th June 2010, 16:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

A Getz GLS is fully loaded (except music system, ABS, Airbag). Wide enough to accommodate 3 people in the back (relative to other hatchbacks). Gear box is butter smooth.
At 4.8 lakhs its nearly 50k less than a Swift.
About resale, I believe it wont go down than that of a Santro. So its surely not a depreciation disaster.

Expected FE should be 10 with AC in 2-3 gear city traffic.
Highways @ 100km should be upto 14 kmpl.
Dials are classic and good to look at. Enough warning lamps around the dials.

Back doors don't have pockets. Its not a must but nice to have.

A suggest you get the Hyundai remote door lock unlock . Its nice and reasonable.
Rest all accessories can be had from after-market.
Old 4th June 2010, 16:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all guys for your responses, really appreciate it.

zteg I couldn't agree more with you bro on what you mean. Getz is purely for people who want both Power(reasonably awesome) and Comfort. Always have followed the heart!!

Kalinga I guess all those Priviliged Getz Owners will invariably have one common story to say, UNBELIEVABLE VALUE FOR MONEY!!

Dipen, you are the senior boy when it comes to owning a Getz and who more to have an opinion from. We both know that the features GLS proivides for the money is more than any other car does now, let alone a Hatch!!
Old 4th June 2010, 18:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
zteg I couldn't agree more with you bro on what you mean. Getz is purely for people who want both Power(reasonably awesome) and Comfort. Always have followed the heart!!
Vik boy, so what mods have you planned so far? I am sure that tyres are going to be first on your list.
So when are you goiiung to show it the highway?? any trips planned?

Since i brought the car, I had planned to buy so many things for it. So far all i got for it was 4 wheel caps and i am so glad that it has never complained.
Old 4th June 2010, 19:26   #7
BHPian

Congrats vik for the Getz. Complete VFM at that price. And the resale value of your Santro was too good to be true. Congrats.
Old 5th June 2010, 09:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. I really think that the Getz is a better and more practical car than the Swift. I also like it's looks, which are quite understated.

The swift is more fun to drive, but other than that, the Getz is the more complete car. How much is the price for the base i20 Petrol?
Old 5th June 2010, 09:25   #9
@ri
BHPian

Congrats Vik0728. You have a great car to drive. The Getz has always been a favorite and a fun car to drive. Do post pics of the car ASAP and have a small suggestion, I have seen a white getz with subtle graphics, with fine lines in black running just over the skirting. It looked awesome to me
Old 5th June 2010, 12:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats.
So what size wheels are u getting for the Getz ? 17" or 18" ?

Last edited by kpzen : 5th June 2010 at 12:37.
Old 7th June 2010, 10:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey zteg I'm sure our "Getzzz" would never complain no matter what you do or don't do for them!!
Wheel caps or not, after owning a Getz for about couple of weeks now, I sure agree that its one completly understated VFM (IMO).

Amartya, thank you buddy and i couldn't agree more with you. Sure, swift's got one hellova an engine under the hood, but common a buyer would spend more time in the cabin than under the hood!!

@ri, yes subtle graphics on any white Car will enhance its appeal, but boy I can imagine one on Getz. Actually bro, I would prefer to run the car for a while by debadging rather than adding more graphics. But, yes, will keep your suggestion high on my "To Do List" for future!!

Finally, kpzen, haha common' bro we both know I wouldn't go in for 17" or 18" even if I could. But yes, though my Getzy is just over 2 weeks old, I had not posted any pics coz I was busy changing some stuff to my liking.

So Guys, I give you my White Pearl!!!

The Way Hyundai Gave it to ME. Pardon me guys for the poor quality of the following snaps. I was just too very excited to bother about the quality!!
Attached Thumbnails
Got My White Pearl...-dsc00673.jpg  

Got My White Pearl...-dsc00674.jpg  

Last edited by Vik0728 : 7th June 2010 at 10:26.
Old 7th June 2010, 10:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

And now, my White Pearl the way I have turned her Around!!

I had installed a 15" rim on my Santro with a 195/45 profile rubber and trust me guys, I had people asking me how I had done this. It was one Head turner. But, then I knew personally the taboo I had to go through on the infamous Bangalore roads!!

So, I did not want to make the same mistake on my new Car, especially with 2yr warranty on hands!!

So, I installed the Platti (Premium Edition) 14" rims.

With Marangoni rubber - 195/60

I installed the ICE from my previous ride and changed all the Lightings(Parking, Reverse, Indicators & roof light) to White.

As well, installed the Philips 90/100 Headlights!!
Attached Thumbnails
Got My White Pearl...-dsc00677.jpg  

Got My White Pearl...-dsc00678.jpg  

Got My White Pearl...-dsc00679.jpg  

Last edited by Vik0728 : 7th June 2010 at 10:39.
Old 7th June 2010, 10:35   #13
BHPian

Hey Vik, can you post some details on the alloys? (make, cost, place etc)

By the way where did you sell your Santro?
Old 7th June 2010, 10:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

WOW , that looks neat and kool.
Grt stuff man .
Bdw how much did you pay for those alloy ?
For the headlights, which shop did you go to get it changed.
So its with only with realy or ceramic holders also .
Im also planning to upgrade my headlamps, so these info will be quite helpful
Cheers
Drive safe.
Old 7th June 2010, 10:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

zteg, these are the Plati Premium Alloys!!
Platti have even changed the Design of their logo on these and they look neat. Just PM me in case you need to pick some for yourself, I'll help you out.
Alloys costed me about 3.6K per piece.
Tyres costed about 2.8K per piece.
I Sold my Santro to Advaith and as I have mentioned, I got a value of 3.3Lks including the 15" Alloys and the old Pioneer Head unit.

Thank you Schoudhury, yes I have Ceramic holders with cut out. One of the fellow bhpian Djay ownsthe stunning Getz CRDI and we happened to meet up yesterday. He is using a similar headlight on his ride without a Ceramic holder and said it didn't need one, but I just did not want to take any chance with my new Getzy, so installed one.
I got the Lights and the entire wiring from Dinesh(can't remember his shop name) in 4th Block Jayanagar. But, I know couple more people in case you want these.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 7th June 2010 at 10:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks