Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 09:36   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Yes Sir, I am getting around 12 on avg with 70% highway & 30 % city drive on tankful to tankful conditions. I commute from Thane to Powai a distance of 23 kms to & fro maintaining a speed of 60-70 kmph and at min traffic periods i.e 7 am in the mornings & 5 pm in the evenings. I do get the tyre pressure checked every week & maintain it at 32 in front & 30 in rear (although the pressures mentioned on the car pillar are 30 for all tyres on min load). Above all I use IFTEX G regularly. Guess this all helps in getting a good average.
No wonder you are getting 12! You should put those highlighted parts in your signature, otherwise the 12 FE is creating a lot of heartburn among Fiesta owners.

I am also using Iftex G, on alternative tankfulls.
Old 17th June 2010, 09:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. Was planning to write to Ford too and ask them to use it as a marketing strategy.
I thing I forgot to mention was the avg is with 50% AC on i.e I put on the AC prefarble in the evenings while coming back from office. Mornings are relatively cooler.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:11   #33
BHPian

@Ghodlur, sorry to scr** your happiness, but under your driving conditions, you should be getting minimum 14;-} 12 is way too low.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

You are absolutely right. In fact I am aiming for the same. Hope to see the results soon. Right now If I stick to the highway driving only I can get around 14 ( believe me I have got that once) but if I go for city driving also (which I am obligated to do every weekends) I end up in 11-12 range which is fairly good enough for sedan.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:45   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Sir, I am getting around 12 on avg with 70% highway & 30 % city drive on tankful to tankful conditions. I commute from Thane to Powai a distance of 23 kms to & fro maintaining a speed of 60-70 kmph and at min traffic periods i.e 7 am in the mornings & 5 pm in the evenings. I do get the tyre pressure checked every week & maintain it at 32 in front & 30 in rear (although the pressures mentioned on the car pillar are 30 for all tyres on min load). Above all I use IFTEX G regularly. Guess this all helps in getting a good average.
I am now somewhat relieved now about my Fiesta's mileage.

My driving conditions (90% of time):
1. Peak bumper-to-bumper traffic. The car literally crawls at 30-40% of the stretches.
2. 100% AC

And I have not yet started using System-G. I maintain 30 at front & 34 at rear.

So the summary for Amit is: 6+ mileage is low. You should expect 8+
Old 17th June 2010, 10:46   #36
BHPian

I'm also getting around 11 kmpl in the first 400 km which I have done and my car is also only a month old.
Mine is only city driving, 100% AC and generally in decent(less) traffic.
However, I have been driving very close to RPM of 2k and at steady speeds of 50 to 80 max, avoiding sudden acceleration and braking and maintaining pressures of 32 in front and 30 in the rear tryes. Under Normal weight conditions and with driver and co passenger in the front seat, front tyres should have either more or same pressure as rear ones.

I also faced the issue of very low visibility on ORVMs/Rear glass during the downpour on monday.
Also, the wiper settings are different from IKON, that is also a pain.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:06   #37
BHPian

Will recheck the mileage this weekend and come back to u guys. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and help. This is my first car so am still trying to learn.

As for the rear wiper, can we get them installed at Ford or an outside vendor? If yes how much should they cost??
Old 17th June 2010, 11:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma123 View Post
Will recheck the mileage this weekend and come back to u guys. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and help. This is my first car so am still trying to learn.

As for the rear wiper, can we get them installed at Ford or an outside vendor? If yes how much should they cost??
I am yet to see a Fiesta or any other sedan with a rear wiper. Ford will not install it. If you switch on the defogger, there will be a huge increase in visibility. Try that first. Hatchbacks have rear wipers because water from the road continuously hits the rear glass. Sedans don't have that issue because of the boot.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I am yet to see a Fiesta or any other sedan with a rear wiper. Ford will not install it. If you switch on the defogger, there will be a huge increase in visibility. Try that first. Hatchbacks have rear wipers because water from the road continuously hits the rear glass. Sedans don't have that issue because of the boot.
Even I am yet to see one. But whatever the logic maybe, rear wiper would have been an useful feature. What should then the driving technique be when your OVRM's and rear windshield is covered with rain during the day and at nights? The other day I drove on the EE highway with parking lights on since I had zero rear visibility.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Even I am yet to see one. But whatever the logic maybe, rear wiper would have been an useful feature. What should then the driving technique be when your OVRM's and rear windshield is covered with rain during the day and at nights? The other day I drove on the EE highway with parking lights on since I had zero rear visibility.
In my experience, during heavy rains, even the front windscreen has near-zero visibility, forget about the rear. So the ideal driving technique is to stop and wait out! Even suppose my car is equipped with the most advanced wiping techniques, front/rear/sides, it will not be the case with other vehicles on the road. Hence it is hazardous to drive in such conditions.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

Having a rear wiper may not help reduce fogging and give more visibility?
Wiper will only help to wipe the water on the rear glass but still there are good chances getting fogged which causel reducing the visibility. And it may not look good a sedan with a rear wiper??
Old 17th June 2010, 14:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
No wonder you are getting 12! You should put those highlighted parts in your signature, otherwise the 12 FE is creating a lot of heartburn among Fiesta owners.

I am also using Iftex G, on alternative tankfulls.
In my entire 39 months of ownership, I never got less than 11. Usually it is a little over 11 in summer months due to 100% AC and around 12+ in other seasons. This is entirely in city driving in Hyderabad. My office is located 15 kms away and around half the stretch has moderate to heavy traffic.

As regards rear wipers, AFAIK they are generally installed on hatchbacks, but not on sedans.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Here is a picture of a sedan with a rear wiper. All it can be seen is a Honda car, no model name can be seen. Any ideas???

Old 17th June 2010, 14:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma123 View Post
Now a bit about some small details about the car. What I like:
- fuel consumption in my first filling of 45 L was only 300 kms. Thats about 6.25 KMPL. Sounds horrible even for a new car. Other owners can please let me know if its normal for first filling.
I guess these are DTE figures. They will improve as you drive more! Recently in in Technical Stuff area some one updated DTE FAQ for fiesta. May that will explain FE figures you better. DTE takes a look at previous 500km ride to calculate. If you had filled up tank to auto cut-off again, you will notice that even after DTE showing zero, less than 40L ltr of fuel is put into tank (am I correct?). FE figures improve as you put on miles. Then system 'learn' your pattern. You shouldn't worry as of now. Watch for 2k kms and then check FE figures.

At the beginning even I used to see low figures, and they started increasing as put on more miles. Now I get around 10km in Bangalore B2B traffice with AC on. Never took it to highway, so can't comment on highway mileage.

Apart from this I can say that BSIV Fiesta suffers little from FE. I am comparing mine (BSIV) with my friends (BSIII). Though this is less than .2km/Ltr, almost similar traffic condition in same route..

You should check tire pressure, as sanjac suggested put 30psi front and 35 psi back. Remember this should be when tires are cold. But if already driven tires, it would ideal to put little extra, 32 psi front 37 psi back, (I keep 32 front and 36 back!) . Check Max tire pressure marked on tires (mine written not to put beyond 40psi, though the max load says 48 psi!). Check tire pressure at least once in three days, or buy a hand/electric pump and good pressure gauge!

I don't see much difference between keeping under 2000 rpm, and up-to 300 rpm. FE is pretty much the same.
Old 17th June 2010, 22:57   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
You should check tire pressure, as sanjac suggested put 30psi front and 35 psi back. Remember this should be when tires are cold. But if already driven tires, it would ideal to put little extra, 32 psi front 37 psi back, (I keep 32 front and 36 back!) . Check Max tire pressure marked on tires (mine written not to put beyond 40psi, though the max load says 48 psi!). Check tire pressure at least once in three days, or buy a hand/electric pump and good pressure gauge!

I don't see much difference between keeping under 2000 rpm, and up-to 300 rpm. FE is pretty much the same.
Why do you keep more pressure in the rear tyres? what i know is that front tyres should have more pressure under normal load.
I don't know what the experts say.
Secondly extra pressure will make rides bumpier.

check out the link below for some useful information on tyres
http://www.carwale.com/accessories/t...e/default.aspx

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 17th June 2010 at 23:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks