Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 13:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Black on Black - Baleno

July 2008
As i was going to purchase my first car, i wasn’t really bothered about power and stuff. Started looking for Palio with a budget of 2L. Found few but either they were pricey or wasn’t good enough to get home.
One fine day I caught up with my friend and went to First Choice in Jakkasandra (Koramangala). Again searching for Palio. Met a sales guy who was more than willing to take my crap and show me few cars. He then told me not to go for Palio as maintenance is high and even resale value will be very less.
Few weeks later I got a call from the same guy and told there is a Honda City for sale and price is 3.7L. Didn’t even bother to think about it or call him back as that was way out of my budget. Couple of days later I happen to go through the same way with my wife and dropped in to the showroom to see if any Palios are there. Saw the same City parked there (which he was talking about). Looked clean. 2002 model 1.3exi, 2nd owner, 85k done, with all service history recorded. Went home thought over it,worked out my budget and gave them a quote of 3L max. Took around 4-5 days of negotiation and finally they came down to 3.05L including transfer charges. As its First Choice I got 3 free services also.

+ves:
Stylish
Low slung seats
Low maintanence
Good mileage

-ves:
A bit under powered (1.3 engine)
Feels like a boat at high speeds

Lovely car it was, really loved the way the seating position is. Used it for almost a year and 10k Kms. Never had any issues with the same except for AC. I haven’t spend a rupee on this car (Didn’t bother to get ac repaired) . Sold it for 2.75L in August 09.
Started looking for something else mainly a Vtec or a 1.5, never bothered to check anything else as I like the seating position in City.(To be continued...)
Attached Thumbnails
Black on Black - Baleno-nice-rd-047.jpg  

Black on Black - Baleno-nice-rd-033.jpg  

Last edited by Unknownsatan : 5th July 2010 at 14:10.
Old 5th July 2010, 16:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am guessing what Suzuki model you went for ? Is it Swift OR the WagonR OR the SX4 ?

I am wondering how come you liked the low seating so much, it was one of the reasons why I didn't continue for a very good OHC. (may be supercar feeling )
Old 5th July 2010, 17:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

^^ After the OHC I would think it would be the Baleno
Old 5th July 2010, 17:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I am guessing what Suzuki model you went for ? Is it Swift OR the WagonR OR the SX4 ?
Or maybe a Baleno
Old 5th July 2010, 17:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

September 09:
Started my search for a good City with a budget of 3L, either they were abused or sellers quoted high price. Back to square one. Started thinking what else would be good enough.

But there wasnt enough time to think and decide- all of a sudden things started changing. Everything was going wrong.

To keep it short- Shelved my plans of getting a car.

@Tamwaramit: Supercar feeling. LOL.

Jan 2010
Things started changing again this time-in a good way, but kept my plans on hold for sometime.

May 2010
Started my search again. Contacted amost every dealer in town. Still things didnt work out. Either i didnt have time to go and see the car, or is not in good condition or pricey. The whole month went without any improvement in the result.

June 2010
Saw an advt in Sulekha for a 2003 OHC 1.5exi. Asking price was 3.5L. Called up seller and took down details. Company owned and regularly serviced car in a good condition except for some problem on the door. Went and saw the car, took a drive, kinda liked it too. Next day i took it to my friend for checking. He gave green signal for the same. I called up seller and gave my quote. He told he will speak to his MD and let me know by next day. No calls till next day after noon. He didnt pick my calls also when i called up. Kinda had a feeling that someone else might have quoted a better price. Called him up again and raised my price a bit. Again the same reply "i will speak to my MD and will call you back".Next day evening i got a call from him saying someone has already quoted a higher price and they are going to take delivery of it by that evening itself.

Back to the same old story...

Mid June 2010 (i guess):
Saw one more advt in Sulekha. 2001 1.5exi done around 80k and white color. Went to check the same. Didn’t like the first look of the car itself. Was a good example for a badly maintained car. Still I took it to my friend to check. He checked and told me it’s an accident car.
Got to know about a Vtec in Chennai. 2002 model, 60k done, Single owner and best part-black in color. Also there was a black Baleno in Bangalore itself which I was suppose to see but was not really keen on Baleno so gave it a miss. Didn’t even go and see.

Last edited by Dippy : 7th July 2010 at 23:06. Reason: As requested
Old 5th July 2010, 21:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

26th June:
Came back from office and was taking rest when I got a call from a dealer saying there is a Baleno, asking rate is 3.5L.
Went to see the same in the evening with my wife (Just for time pass). Asked dealer to get the car to my friend’s place to check. When I reached there driver was already there with this Baleno. Just had a look at the exterior, while my friend was inspecting bodyline of the car. Car has been kept neat and clean. He took it for a small round, checked engine and everything and told me it’s a genuine car, but all tyres need to be changed. Talked to him for sometime and came back home. Called up dealer and told “if I am interested in I will call you by tomorrow morning”.

Between here are the details:
Model- 2006 October, Lxi
Mileage- 62k
Owner- Second
Color- Black
Extras- Art leather seat, Spoiler, LPG kit installed (ran for around 15k kms on that), Autocop and few scratches.
Every 5k kms serviced as per driver (not sure but it looked like one well maintained car)

Called up my friend again and asked him how much should I pay. First thing he asked was “are you really interested?”. Well,I didn’t have much to say so told him if at all I change my mind how much is a good price. He suggested i should start bargaining with 2.6 and if I can close it at 2.7 it will be a real good deal. Called up dealer again. Told him I can pay only 2.6 and nothing above that as I have to spend on tyres also. He told he will check with owner and let me know. Dealer called up after sometime later and told owner is not willing to let it go for an amount not less than 3L. I then told him may be I can increase 5k and make it 2.65L and I can give the cash at one shot.
All these while I was trying to contact for that black Vtec from Chennai, but dealer was acting a bit cranky. He never gave a proper response. But I still had hope on that car...

27th June:
Got a call from dealer early morning itself. He was asking me to meet up with the owner and to fix the deal But as I was not really keen on baleno I didn’t bother to increase my price above 2.65L. Still was trying to reach my friend to go and check Chennai Vtec. But Chennai dealer was again giving the same kinda response.
Meanwhile Baleno dealer called me twice to know my response. Was thoroughly confused whether to go for this or not. In the evening around 6.30, I went to Rangashankara for a coffee with my wife (I know its not a coffee shop but I love that place).

While sipping coffee she asked me “do you really don’t wanna buy that Baleno? It looks like a well maintained car”. By 7.45 I was back home after giving advance for the same Black Baleno.
Attached Thumbnails
Black on Black - Baleno-image0152.jpg  

Last edited by Stratos : 4th March 2011 at 16:17. Reason: As requested
Old 5th July 2010, 21:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

From OHC, yes, you can settle only for Baleno with Suzuki. Baleno looks great in black. Congratulations.
PS - I think you posted the following para twice
Quote:
Called up my friend again...that car
Old 5th July 2010, 21:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
From OHC, yes, you can settle only for Baleno with Suzuki. Baleno looks great in black. Congratulations.
Thanks dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
PS - I think you posted the following para twice
Errors in copying and pasting

Mods: Pl do the needful to remove one para.
Old 5th July 2010, 21:49   #9
BHPian

drive this car at 120km/h and you will notice the big differance.much better car than OHC.
Old 5th July 2010, 22:07   #10
BHPian

Congrats for the Suzuki. The thing I liked the most about this car is the AC- instant chiller.
Old 5th July 2010, 22:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

As you can guess form my profile picture, I am a big fan of the Baleno. I think you did well to buy this car. It's a great car to drive, and at higher speeds, it's more confidence inspiring than the OHC. Since you have to change the tires, get good ones (Yokos/Michelin), they are worth the extra investment.

The Baleno's A/C is the best I have experienced in a car this side of Rs.15 lakhs, perfect for the hot Indian summer. And you know what is great about the engine is that with the A/C on, it should still give you close to 11-12km/litre inside the city.
Old 5th July 2010, 22:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
drive this car at 120km/h and you will notice the big differance.much better car than OHC.
Not yet taken her out properly. Waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats for the Suzuki. The thing I liked the most about this car is the AC- instant chiller.
Thanks dude. And yeah AC is damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
As you can guess form my profile picture, I am a big fan of the Baleno. I think you did well to buy this car. It's a great car to drive, and at higher speeds, it's more confidence inspiring than the OHC. Since you have to change the tires, get good ones (Yokos/Michelin), they are worth the extra investment.
Thanks man. Checking out tyres and alloys now.

Had to wait for another week to get the car as i was busy in office and was coming home late.
3rd July:
Called up seller in the morning and told we will meet up in Jayanagar 4th block around 3'o clock.
Was really busy in office. Loads of work. Wanted to leave at 2 but not able to...Called up seller again and told i will come by 4.30. Caught a rick near office and straight went to pick up my new car. Also called up my wife and asked her to get money as i didnt have enough time to go home and come. Finally after rain and traffic i reached that place by 4.45.CAlled up seller again and asked him the exact location. Walked towards Jayanagar Police station and saw my beauty parked...right next to a BMW X6
Finished all formalities, checked vehicle once again and gave him money. Seller handed over car keys, papers, manual book. He didnt even bother to count money and wished me and left in his Innova.

Car felt more solid than OHC. But interior esp dashboard is too dull,not that OHC's is great,but better than baleno.

Took her to a temple for pooja. Now shes all mine

One more pic of the car.
Mods: Pl merge this with my last post.
Attached Thumbnails
Black on Black - Baleno-baleno.jpg  

Black on Black - Baleno-image0159.jpg  

Last edited by v12 : 6th July 2010 at 10:34.
Old 6th July 2010, 07:05   #13
BHPian

Wow, congratulations. It is raining used Balenos in this forum all of a sudden. Is it that everyone is just "discovering" this excellent car?
Old 6th July 2010, 11:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Baleno - looks neatly maintained.

I knew that it was the Baleno since I saw you querying on the Baleno-tyre thread, but did not want to break your suspense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom76
It is raining used Balenos in this forum all of a sudden. Is it that everyone is just "discovering" this excellent car?
One reason I guess is the low prices at which you can get a pretty recent model (2005, 2006) Baleno, as compared to the premium demanded for a similar model OHC.
Old 6th July 2010, 12:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Congrats on the Baleno - looks neatly maintained.

I knew that it was the Baleno since I saw you querying on the Baleno-tyre thread, but did not want to break your suspense.
Thanks. Infact i didnt intend to create any suspense as i knew atleast few might have seen my other query. But then when few started guessing i thought let it be like that. Thats why i didnt respond to people's query regarding the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
One reason I guess is the low prices at which you can get a pretty recent model (2005, 2006) Baleno, as compared to the premium demanded for a similar model OHC.
Exactly. 2002 OHC (1.5exi) and 2005 Baleno costs the same,well, almost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks