Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 21:28   #61
BHPian

Re: My cute little toy - Sunshine Yellow Nano!

MODS: Sorry for the back to back posts, otherwise the post would be too lengthy!

THE ACCIDENTS:

• The first one was in October 2010. All four of us, i.e, my dad, mom, sis and me, were going back home after visiting one of our family friend’s home. The incident happened at the Palayam junction, right in front of Saphalyam Shopping Complex at around 7.30 PM. We were waiting in the right lane in the signal to turn right. A white Maruit 800 stopped in the left lane. When the signal turned green, we started moving and this 800 guy tried to take a U-turn right through the front! The 800’s bumper hit on the LHS of our front Bumper and took off a little paint and misaligned the bumper a little. The 800’s bumper was hanging completely! We both parked our cars in the side and he started shouting at us claiming that he did the right thing! We called the police who were nearby and they told the other guy to shut up and stop arguing. As our car was insured and did not want to file a case, the police asked us to settle the matter as we wished. After some dialogue, we left the place. The car was given to Kulathunkal Motors in a day or two. The work was done really well and we did not claim insurance as the repair cost was just a little above Rs.1200.

No damage to the lights!
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-24102010514.jpg

Notice the lose bumper clip in the following 2 pics
pic 1
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-24102010515.jpg

pic2
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-24102010516.jpg

Paint damage!
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-24102010517.jpg

• The second one happened in April 2011. My sister was driving and my mom was there too. She stopped the car at a signal where there was heavy traffic. A Swift Dzire coming from behind banged on the rear. My sis said the whole car jerked. They couldn’t open the door as the traffic was too much. That guy too did not stop the car! I later inspected the car and found some marks on the RHS of the rear bumper and the car seemed to be lower in the RHS. And I found that a fibre sheet behind the rear wheel surrounding the engine area had bent a little bit. Gave it to the A.S.S immediately and also asked them to attend the problem with the clutch and wiper. Surprisingly, they did not even charge a penny for the accident work but the clutch issue was not solved this time either!

The only pic I have of the accident damage - slightly bent bumper end
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-16052011628.jpg

SOME OTHER POINTS:

• The FE has been good. Almost 90% of the total distance covered has been in the city and more than 95% with the Air-con working. In such conditions, the car comfortably returns 16 – 18 km/l.

Worst achieved – 14 km/l

Best achieved – 22 km/l

We have not yet had a highway trip.

• The quality of the plastics has been more than satisfactory considering the price, especially the interior ones. Other than the rattle from the lock assembly, there have not been any other rattle issues. The switchgear too has been pretty functional and sturdy.

My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-16052011630.jpg

• Exterior plastics age very quickly. Most of the parts have already started losing their colour and texture.

Dull looking plastic window side panel - clearly noticeable with naked eye
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-16052011629.jpg

• Ride and Suspension - The ride has now become better and is kind of supple and absorbs most of the undulations. It’s only the bigger potholes or craters that filters in. But the suspension is a little bit noisy, because, even when we do not feel the undulations, the noise from the suspension is clearly audible.

• Gear box has become much better and it’s smooth and precise now. You can hardly miss a shift, but the reverse gear does need a bit of pushing at time to engage.

• I always felt the head lamps to be weak. I asked the SA about upgrading the bulb and he said it would void the warranty. So no hopes.

• The either sides of the underbody of the car has dents which happened when the car was lifted at the service centre. I brought this to notice and asked them to rectify it. But they said that it is because the Nano’s body is weak!! I could not believe their answer. I went around checking the underbody of the other car’s there, not just the nano, but every car and found 90% of them to be damaged. But I never faced this problem in my Wagon – R. I raised a complaint and am yet to get it repaired. They asked why are we considering this to be such a serious issue and I just answered them by asking whether they would this dent would decrease the price of the car if we are selling off the car to them! They shut their mouth and were smiling helplessly!!

The under-body damage
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-16052011634.jpg

ACCESSORIES:

I have installed Garware Classic sunfilm ( 50% light transmission and 99% UV rejection) of green tinge. The installation was not great and there are a few air bubbles in some areas. I cannot find the bill so I will search for it and update the price.

I also bought a set of floor mats of Taiwan make. They seem to be pretty durable and stay in place. Its price was Rs.1100.
These were installed at a shop called Parijath at Ulloor and I would not advice people in going there. The staff are courteous but the options are limited and the installers weren’t professional at all.

I have not yet installed any security system as I have never felt the need for it and the options in the Tata Genuine Accessories weren’t satisfactory. Same goes to the Audio system. Kulathunkal Motors have no idea about the Genuine Audio system. They are now installing audio system of Sony, etc. saying that these are accepted by TATA Motors. I feel a little apprehensive about fitting them and now I am searching for the Genuine ones offered by Tata Motors. Also, have not put seat covers yet!!

Sorry for the mobile-phone pictures. The camera is with my sis and she is out of station. Will upload better pictures once I get the camera.

If anyone needs anymore info, please do feel free to ask me! I shall try my level best to answer all the queries.
Old 19th May 2011, 02:27   #62
Senior - BHPian

re: My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!

Hey Freakmuzik!

So have you turned 18?
I banged My Nano on a very tight lelf hand turn in a cramped Gully in which a gutter was opened bang in middle.

In my pursuit to avoid the Gutter, i completely ignored the Ill designed curbing which was very high and was not rounded, but was sharp and pointed!! The guy who did this must be .

I banged the section below rear left door, got a 2 foot long dent, still to repair it, will get it done during my first free service.

I have also noticed weird noises when i start AC , it goes away after some time though.

1200 kms have been sweet and i will do my first major highway drive soon!
Old 19th May 2011, 10:18   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Hey Freakmuzik!

So have you turned 18?
I banged My Nano on a very tight lelf hand turn in a cramped Gully in which a gutter was opened bang in middle.

In my pursuit to avoid the Gutter, i completely ignored the Ill designed curbing which was very high and was not rounded, but was sharp and pointed!! The guy who did this must be .

I banged the section below rear left door, got a 2 foot long dent, still to repair it, will get it done during my first free service.

I have also noticed weird noises when i start AC , it goes away after some time though.

1200 kms have been sweet and i will do my first major highway drive soon!
Hello silverado!!
Great to know that your enjoying the time with the car!

BTW, I still have to wait for 4 months to turn 18!
And your incident seems depressing! But I guess you will be surprised with the quotation they give you. Thankfully, the parts of the Nano are really cheap, at least to the extent I know, and you got the insurance too. But still, a damage to our car is really painful, which, every car lover would agree to! I cannot bear even the little scratches seen in my car! And I shout at my sister and dad for that!

I need to mention about the A/C specifically next time. Hope they rectify it. And do you face the problem with the A/C switches too?
Old 19th May 2011, 10:49   #64
BHPian

My nano will be going in for its 10,000 km service next week. some idiot biker banged the rear bumper when i was waiting at traffic signal and he fled! The bumper is a bit cracked aroung the rear fog lamp area and the fog lamp itself is loose. have to get it fixed. will update on the status of service soon.
Old 19th May 2011, 12:09   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
My nano will be going in for its 10,000 km service next week. some idiot biker banged the rear bumper when i was waiting at traffic signal and he fled! The bumper is a bit cracked aroung the rear fog lamp area and the fog lamp itself is loose. have to get it fixed. will update on the status of service soon.
Oh! Sad to read this! And what do you feel of the overall quality of the bumpers and other parts? From what I have seen, I guess its sturdy enough, though not very sturdy. When I saw the damage occurred to the 800's bumper, in my case, the Nano's felt better! Hope your work gets done satisfactorily. And how is your general experience with the A.S.S? I would like to know about two things from Nano owners. Do you face problem with the A/C knobs? And is the seat recliner lever very poor to operate? It often doesn't seem to work or is very difficult to operate! And the A.S.S is helpless. Please share your experiences/ observations.

I have a small update here. Just checked the approximate FE. Filled tankful around a week back, I mean ,till cut-off. It drank 12.xx litres. Now the reading in the trip meter is 246 and there is still one bar of fuel left according to the Fuel gauge. So even if I consider it to have consumed 12 ltrs, then the FE is 20+. And this is considering the fact that it was 80% city use with full time A/C! So I guess this means my sis's driving has improved !
Old 19th May 2011, 19:41   #66
Senior - BHPian

Hey Freakmuzik

Ive got 21.1kpl on 70 % highway , with 4 adults and 70 % AC on!.
I feel the netted part on rear bumber is very filmsy, also is sump guard fitted by default in NANO?

AC switch has not given any issue,only grudge is its hard to notice that Blue light in full daylight.

My wife has started driving it on and off, i hope she learns well soon.
AC when on, cuts off automatically for some moments when you get a sudden power surge while driving, has anyone experienced anything like that?
Old 20th May 2011, 08:48   #67
BHPian

The plastic parts have held up okay considering the lack of covered parking spaces in blr...and also the fuel efficency of BS4 nanos i guess is a bit lower than BS3 ones.never checked correctly but maybe i am getting around 16-17 in city....*** is ok...the rr left door central lock actuator has failed again and i have to correct it AGAIN at this service. The only unscheuled stop was to change the A/c filter as airflow had slowed down to a trickle and rear passengers were sweating. Got it replaced in mysore *** for 92 bucks, and now everything is back to normal.

Yes, the rear bumper mesh area is flimsy and thats the area that has cracked.By this year end maybe i will do 25,000 k and then change to another car. The nano has served well.
Old 20th May 2011, 19:46   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Hey Freakmuzik

Ive got 21.1kpl on 70 % highway , with 4 adults and 70 % AC on!.
I feel the netted part on rear bumber is very filmsy, also is sump guard fitted by default in NANO?

AC switch has not given any issue,only grudge is its hard to notice that Blue light in full daylight.

My wife has started driving it on and off, i hope she learns well soon.
AC when on, cuts off automatically for some moments when you get a sudden power surge while driving, has anyone experienced anything like that?
Wow, thats some very good FE figures for a new car! And as you mentioned, those parts are flimsy!! And I just remembered about the blue light of the A/C switch. It's not at all visible during the day.

I have not experienced that in my car. The only thing I have noticed is that the speed of the blower at times decreases but now it does not happen so. It's better that you get it checked at the A.S.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
The plastic parts have held up okay considering the lack of covered parking spaces in blr...and also the fuel efficency of BS4 nanos i guess is a bit lower than BS3 ones.never checked correctly but maybe i am getting around 16-17 in city....*** is ok...the rr left door central lock actuator has failed again and i have to correct it AGAIN at this service. The only unscheuled stop was to change the A/c filter as airflow had slowed down to a trickle and rear passengers were sweating. Got it replaced in mysore *** for 92 bucks, and now everything is back to normal.

Yes, the rear bumper mesh area is flimsy and thats the area that has cracked.By this year end maybe i will do 25,000 k and then change to another car. The nano has served well.
About the lock, you mean it does not lock along with the other doors?
And regarding the A/C filter, cleaning them would have been fine. A fellow member and a Nano owner, KMohanan had posted the steps to clean the A/C air filter. Here's the link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2313582

And is your plan to change the car due to dissatisfaction or something?
Old 14th June 2011, 22:48   #69
BHPian

Hello guys!

Just a small update here. Something totally unexpected happened last week. My sister took the car out and was already having a tiresome day. While driving, all of a sudden, she found the accelerator not responding at all. She stopped the car and immediately called the 24 x 7 helpline. They reached the spot very quickly and the culprit was found to be a cut accelerator cable! It was changed immediately and the car was fine. I should thank them a ton for their quick response! The reason they stated was either rusting, which was later ruled out, or water seepage! I still can't understand how that could be a reason for accelerator cable getting cut!

But, after the work done, there was some initial dead play in the accelerator pedal. Also, the clutch began to behave weirdly again and started giving some strange noises. And the brake was a little weak too. Hence, the car was given to the A. S. S during the weekend for sorting out these issues.

Got the car only after a day, and we were in no hurry too. All issues were sorted out satisfactorily. They delivered the car home too. They changed the clutch cable once again. The car is really awesome to drive now. I'm now looking out for a car vacuum cleaner. The interiors are getting dirty and there's lots of dirt in the mats, etc. especially due to the downpour here.

And the FE is still somewhat the same, i.e, around 17 km/l in city conditions.
We all lover our Cute Little Toy!!

Cheers!
Old 15th June 2011, 04:31   #70
Senior - BHPian

[quote=freakmuzik;2391719]
quote]

Brake pedal gets some play after usage.
I managed to scratch mine with a auto rickshaw and got some minor dents on left side.

Dont wanna give it to A.S.S soon, i will just try using COMPAINT this time.
Its a hoot to drive in traffic and U turns are truly enjoyable.

BTW hows padmini doing? mine is getting neglected and thats a major concern for me!
Old 15th June 2011, 10:41   #71
BHPian

[quote=silverado;2391893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
quote]

Brake pedal gets some play after usage.
I managed to scratch mine with a auto rickshaw and got some minor dents on left side.

Dont wanna give it to A.S.S soon, i will just try using COMPAINT this time.
Its a hoot to drive in traffic and U turns are truly enjoyable.

BTW hows padmini doing? mine is getting neglected and thats a major concern for me!
I do not find the brake to have excessive play, but braking altogether had deteriorated. After the A. S. S visit, it's fine now (touchwood).

I do not know much about COMPAINT. Is it good? And if you want, you can get an estimate from the A. S. S. I guess they wouldn't charge much. Even for a total of 2 dent works that I gave for, the bill was under 1.5 K.

And about Padmini, same here. Padmini was getting neglected for over a year due to some problems and hence we decided to work on it. It's in the workshop right now, or I should say, for over 3 months! I have no idea as my exams were going on then. Dad's the one who visits the workshop often. The car will get the same old Silver colour. I can't go even check because the workshop is over 25 km away from my home! Hope the padmini returns home soon. Will definitely update my Padmini thread once the work is complete.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:20   #72
BHPian

The accelerator cable issue happened to me a few months ago. At that time the car had to be towed to the service centre and they got it replaced.my mileage in Mumbai city driving is 13 kmpl
Old 20th June 2011, 12:30   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasher26 View Post
The accelerator cable issue happened to me a few months ago. At that time the car had to be towed to the service centre and they got it replaced.my mileage in Mumbai city driving is 13 kmpl
I see. Do you know what the reason was? And I guess that's some pretty good FE considering the Mumbai traffic, but I guess it should get better. How much has the car run?

BTW, all Nano owners, please help. I had earlier posted a picture of the under body damage which occurred when the car was lifted in the ramp at T. A. S. S. I say this is a DAMAGE but they say its NORMAL and that it happens to all cars. This happened when the car was given for its second service. T. A. S. S say that the car is not lifted using the ramp during the first service.

Can other nano owners please clarify if there's a similar dent in the under-body due to the car being lifted in the ramp?

This is the picture of the damage.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...6052011634.jpg
Old 20th June 2011, 13:13   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
......under body damage which occurred when the car was lifted in the ramp at T. A. S. S. I say this is a DAMAGE but they say its NORMAL and that it happens to all cars.....
That sounds ridiculous and means all nanos after second service should have that dent BUT its not. Mine is not yet 1 month so I am referring to 2 other nanos within my society that have completed 3rd service and none of them have any marks anywhere. We also have more than couple of dozen tata vehicles within the compound and none of them have any similar dents. So, I think its to do with their way of lifting !
Old 20th June 2011, 13:55   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
That sounds ridiculous and means all nanos after second service should have that dent BUT its not. Mine is not yet 1 month so I am referring to 2 other nanos within my society that have completed 3rd service and none of them have any marks anywhere. We also have more than couple of dozen tata vehicles within the compound and none of them have any similar dents. So, I think its to do with their way of lifting !
Thanks a lot for such a quick reply. I checked out a few nano's in the service bay. Some had the dent and some did not.
But I'm not going to leave this behind. I surely am going to demand a repair FOC. What say?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, when I told them about this, they were giggling listening to what I was saying. And I asked them whether they would deduct the price if I'm selling it off to them, due to this dent, they kept their mouth shut!

At time I feel the A. S. S is good but at times I feel its the worst I've seen. Hope I can solve this issue soon.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks