Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 15:23   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
...I then called another VW dealer (name censored), to my amazement he said that VW ran trial batches of 1.6 production which were sold to customers...
This is definitely a first. Trial batches? Is that even possible? Without passing homologation how can you even sell a car. I spoke to the sales manager at VW Downtown here in Bombay who said close to 20 have been delivered.

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th September 2010 at 22:11. Reason: Repaired quote marks.
Old 27th September 2010, 16:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
This is definitely a first. Trial batches? Is that even possible? Without passing homologation how can you even sell a car. I spoke to the sales manager at VW Downtown here in Bombay who said close to 20 have been delivered.
That is strange!! When I spoke to the SE, he said Polo 1.6 deliveries will only start in October!
Old 27th September 2010, 16:55   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
That is strange!! When I spoke to the SE, he said Polo 1.6 deliveries will only start in October!
...And what I mentioned above happened this Saturday. What's going on here! In fact there was one parked outside for delivery as well so I took it for granted that what he said was the truth.

Last edited by NevGin : 27th September 2010 at 16:56.
Old 27th September 2010, 16:57   #64
Senior - BHPian

Guys, one of my close pal had booked Polo 1.6 in Red colour back in August.
Since then, he has re-located to Chennai but wanted the car from Bangalore Showroom as he believes he would be back here soon.
We happened to have a chat over this weekend and I was pretty eager to know if he had his Polo 1.6 yet but to my utter disbelief he was informed by the VW SA that Polo's would begin production by October.
I persuaded him to either Cancel his booking or change the Showroom from Hosur Road to Palace Road VW showroom since we had nearly four 1.6 Polos revving on Team bhp already.

But as couple of you guys have heard, is it really possible for an Auto Giant like VW to use their Customers as Test Drivers? Though it sounds Horrific and probably very unfair to be true, even the thought of someone being used as a test driver after making him pay his fortune out, is quite Scary. :(

Last edited by Vik0728 : 27th September 2010 at 17:03.
Old 27th September 2010, 19:30   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd guess they were testing the production, rather than the car.

Looking in the bright side, if this report is true, then those "pre-production" cars probably had more attention each than any ordinary production vehicle would. They might be the best to own!
Old 27th September 2010, 21:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'd guess they were testing the production, rather than the car.

Looking in the bright side, if this report is true, then those "pre-production" cars probably had more attention each than any ordinary production vehicle would. They might be the best to own!
Thad, I really enjoy reading your posts!

I have booked a Polo 1.6 (on behalf of my friend). Delivery was scheduled for this month end. Now, it is postponed by a month! Not able to look at alternatives, because of temptations!!
Old 27th September 2010, 21:34   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

I have booked a Polo 1.6 (on behalf of my friend). Delivery was scheduled for this month end. Now, it is postponed by a month! Not able to look at alternatives, because of temptations!!
VW is playing Polo with all of us. I too was told that my car would get delivered in Oct, now shifted to 1st week of Nov. Can't get any weird its like an automotive version of Nightmare on Elm street.

Quote:
If i remember the first 1.6 delivered in Bangalore was driven around with temp number plates for quite a while. Possible that homolgomation might not have happened by then or took some time.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th September 2010 at 22:09. Reason: Posts merged. Please take a look at the Mod note added at the end of your post. Thanks
Old 27th September 2010, 23:13   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks My car purchase is postponed indefinitely now, so I can only think with envy of your Polo 1.6

Quote:
VW is playing Polo with all of us. I too was told that my car would get delivered in Oct, now shifted to 1st week of Nov. Can't get any weird its like an automotive version of Nightmare on Elm street.
And it seeing this that makes me not as disappointed with having to wait as I might have been at having to wait. VW really have caught people's attention, there was an amazing crowd buzzing around Polo and Vento at the Chennai show (too many for me to get in) but how will it all turn out?

Is it all as bad as it seems? I'm told there is still quite a wait for a diesel Swift.
Old 28th September 2010, 08:17   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And it seeing this that makes me not as disappointed with having to wait as I might have been at having to wait. VW really have caught people's attention, there was an amazing crowd buzzing around Polo and Vento at the Chennai show (too many for me to get in) but how will it all turn out?

Is it all as bad as it seems? I'm told there is still quite a wait for a diesel Swift.
It's possibly not that bad. It may be poor salesmanship from ghe dealer, but VW making such mistakes is not possible. They are a typical German detail oriented company. When you book your car they have a mechanism to follow every step your car it taking till delivery. I was told my car will enter the assembly line on the 30th week of the year (last week of july). Then I waa notified while it was waiting for transit and again when it reached the dealer's workshop. If VW can keep track of every such delivey then any delays would definitely have reason and will be communicated to the customer.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:39   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I then called another VW dealer (name censored), to my amazement he said that VW ran trial batches of 1.6 production which were sold to customers . Gods knows who is speaking the truth and who isn't.
This should be the trial production run in the factory.

I don't think the cars were used for test drives or trials on a race track. If they did that, then they must have done a pretty good job making the car as good as new because I definitely didn't notice any wear and tear.

Quote:
I have heard from different people that there was a pause in production (perhaps with the end of the production trials) and that production of the 1.6 will start in full swing starting next month.

What I liked most about the 1.6 was not the power but the refinement. There isn't much noise except at startup and there are no vibrations at all. The trade-off is the fuel economy of around 11 kmpl in the city.

Quote:
If i remember the first 1.6 delivered in Bangalore was driven around with temp number plates for quite a while. Possible that homolgomation might not have happened by then or took some time.
From what I understand the 1.6 variant was not registered with the Karnataka RTO. I didn't have any problems at the time of registration.
Old 28th September 2010, 14:10   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
They are a typical German detail oriented company. When you book your car they have a mechanism to follow every step your car it taking till delivery. I was told my car will enter the assembly line on the 30th week of the year (last week of july). Then I waa notified while it was waiting for transit and again when it reached the dealer's workshop. If VW can keep track of every such delivey then any delays would definitely have reason and will be communicated to the customer.
Anirban you are absolutely correct, till last week i had a complete track of information on my car, it would go on the assy line on x date and then shipped on y date etc. But suddenly there has been this u-turn around from assy line to 'production is yet to start' which seemed quite illogical to me.
Old 28th September 2010, 14:38   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Anirban you are absolutely correct, till last week i had a complete track of information on my car, it would go on the assy line on x date and then shipped on y date etc. But suddenly there has been this u-turn around from assy line to 'production is yet to start' which seemed quite illogical to me.
Luky & Anirban: When you say that you "were told" that the car is at a particular point in its manufacturing life cycle on the assembly line; who is it that said this? Is this information passed on to you by the dealer, does it come from VW itself or did I miss something on how this can be found out?
Old 28th September 2010, 16:06   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Luky & Anirban: When you say that you "were told" that the car is at a particular point in its manufacturing life cycle on the assembly line; who is it that said this? Is this information passed on to you by the dealer, does it come from VW itself or did I miss something on how this can be found out?
This information is conveyed by the dealer, on a customer query. They log on to the VW production planner of sorts and retrieve the same, that's what was told to me at least.
Old 28th September 2010, 16:21   #74
BHPian

Quote:
This information is conveyed by the dealer, on a customer query. They log on to the VW production planner of sorts and retrieve the same, that's what was told to me at least.
Thanks. Any idea how long it takes to manufacture from start to finish? I have neither received an allotment nor any communication from VW ane hence wondering if I should bother asking the dealer.
Old 30th September 2010, 08:59   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Luky_13,
Have you tried to contact VW directly? Did the dealer give any reason? May be they have stopped production as suggested by others, but they should convey the delay accurately.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks