Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2010, 20:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! That's a stunning looking hot hatch. Wish you many happy kilometers ahead.

And you say you haven't even driven it yet because it's your wife's car!! Now that's one obedient husband I have seen in the world!
Old 5th September 2010, 21:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

WOW..it sure is raining 1.6 Polos on T-Bhp.

Congratulations. I think atleast a TD would be in order. VW Gurgaon here I come.

Cheers
Old 5th September 2010, 21:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLJ View Post
Congratulations! The car looks hot.

How much it cost on road in bangalore. VW site doesn't show the price for 1.6.

CLJ
cLJ, Thanks! Will put up the price separately as I can't find the quote right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veels n Rhodes View Post
Many Congratulations nowwhat ? I think this is the first Reflex silver POLO (ofcourse ownership review) on team-bhp. Looking for more exterior pictures (may be on nice road).
Thanks, Veels n Rhodes! Will try posting some more pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Whoa! Two Polo 1.6's in a single day!! Do write in more about the performance of the 1.6 engine. And more pictures...

After Figos and Puntos, it's raining Polos on TBHP now. I'll join the club on Wednesday

I wonder why is only Bangalore getting the 1.6? Mumbai dealers say it won't come here before October!!
theragingbull, Congrats on your Polo. Not sure why there are more 1.6s reported in Bangalore on Team-BHP. Perhaps these were the bookings made in June? Mine was booked on June 29, a couple of weeks after sadnabrina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Congrats nowwhat.!! The car is an absolute beauty. Polo looks never ages. These pictures are as fresh and appealing as the first one posted in the forum.Special mention to your wife's decision making. We need more ladies like her who get what they like and what they want rather than go by herd mentality.
Thanks, poloman! Your thread provided me a lot of details.

Will write separately about the buying process since I have now been moved to a separate thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Congrats! That's a stunning looking hot hatch. Wish you many happy kilometers ahead.

And you say you haven't even driven it yet because it's your wife's car!! Now that's one obedient husband I have seen in the world!
Thanks, W.A.G.7!

What can I say? I am going to show my wife your post so that she can cut my chains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
WOW..it sure is raining 1.6 Polos on T-Bhp.

Congratulations. I think atleast a TD would be in order. VW Gurgaon here I come.

Cheers
Ricky_63, Thanks!

You may be in for a disappointment. There is no 1.6 available for test drive in Bangalore as far as I know. When I asked the SE he said they have no plans to procure a 1.6 TD vehicle as almost all buyers prefer the 1.2 for its fuel economy.
Old 5th September 2010, 22:04   #19
BHPian

Congratulations Nowwhat. The silver colours looks good too. Its good to see you start your own thread.

May be now you would receive so many queries and you`ll ask your wife each and every question, one day she might get fed up and hand over the keys to you to drive and make your own judgement rather than come up with a bunch of queries every day
Old 5th September 2010, 22:30   #20
BHPian

Congratsss nowwaht? Silver looks awesome. TBH red is feminine color and I am using it. And silver really suits everyone. After seeing all the ads and VW websites around the world I thought red is sporty and made the choice. I dont regret it .

Agree blue color also looks very good. But as "fuel addict" pointed out I dont think any color is bad on polo.

Last edited by kiran1103 : 5th September 2010 at 22:31.
Old 5th September 2010, 22:32   #21
BHPian

Congrats Nowwhat!! Your powerful Silver hatch is looking awesome..
Do you have anything planned to take her for a long drive to test the beast inside? i am not sure if you can do it in b'lore stop go traffic but you can take her to Nice road for sure..

Happy motoring and awaiting some more interior pics

Regards,

Vish
Old 6th September 2010, 00:14   #22
BHPian

Congrats Nowwhat! Your car looks awesome!

Cant wait to get my hands on my 1.6. Its going to be a long wait to this month end.

Meanwhile, i wish you jump in the driving seat and give us a detailed account of the engine performance.
Old 6th September 2010, 09:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!!

Reflex silver as always, looks great. My first choice was the same color. Just because my first 2 cars were of silver (10 years), I went in for a change. Glacier Blue would have been the choice for ladies!

Car looks great parked in your portico! Happy revving!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
4K rpm in 1st and 2nd gear is high IMO. Though tempting, you will agree its better to take it easy for the first couple of thousand kms.
Ideally during the first 1000 Kms, limit the 1st gear to 2000 RPM, 2nd gear to 2500 RPM, 3rd gear to 3000 RPM, and 4th gear to 4000 RPM. 5th can even go on further until 4500 RPM. This will ensure that we utilise only 75% of the engine speed as recommended in the Polo user manual.

After the first 1500 Kms, start gradually increasing the RPM. May-be 500 RPM every 200 Kms. More the engine is Revved, more smoother it becomes. This has to be repeated for every gear.

For the first & second gear to become smooth with very high revs, it takes some time - You have to go past 5000 Kms IMO. That is when you can start expecting the best possible FE.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 6th September 2010 at 09:19.
Old 6th September 2010, 09:37   #24
BHPian

Mouth watering

Every time i see that engine pic with 1.6 and VW badge posted by nowwhat?, my mouth starts to viciously salivate and my hand involuntarily reaches out for my mobile to call VW Downtown... 'Where is my car'? But then i hold myself, its been just 3 weeks since i booked... my brain tries to pacify my heart 'No pain, no gain' and i succumb!
Old 6th September 2010, 09:42   #25
BHPian

A little busy, but just wanted to share with you all that the Multi Function Display (MFD) now displays 11 kmpl average fuel consumption. I am happy!
Attached Thumbnails
My Reflex Silver VW Polo 1.6-mfd.jpg  

Old 6th September 2010, 10:21   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
The Polo red-lines at 6,000 rpm, so I thought 4,000 rpm may be safe. Yesterday, we didn't reach anywhere near that.

Congrats on your car. If only this was released earlier I would have had one in my garage. You sure are going to have some fun after running it in.

BTW 4000 rpm is perfectly fine. There are so many people on team-bhp who run their cars in by restricting it to unrealistically low rpms like 2000 rpm on petrols and 1500 rpm on diesels. They probably end up damaging the engine more by lugging it.
Just go easy with the car, go easy on the clutch and the brakes and set everything settle in properly.
And after a few thousand kilometers, RIP IT
Old 6th September 2010, 11:34   #27
BHPian

Was about to post a query to you, nowwhat? - and then I saw this thread. Yay.. congratulations mate. You and wifey have certainly got a hot hot hatch. Looks great in silver. Was my colour of choice too, till I got an 'available' black from the dealer!

You have uploaded the very similar MID pic as on my thread... and with the MID cover on. We seem to be starting a trend here

Congratulations again to you and wifey.. many many happy miles, and looking forward to continued reviews.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:57   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the hot hatch VW Polo 1.6. Nice color, its very elegant without being flamboyant.

Enjoy many more miles with the POLO. Drive safe
Old 6th September 2010, 20:21   #29
BHPian

I. How we decided on the Polo

In July 2009, we paid the final EMI on our Maruti Esteem. We breathed a collective sigh of relief as most of the year had been difficult and my wife also had to take a 5% pay-cut the previous year. We found that the EMI of 7,840 that had been freed up now after 5 years eased some of our pressure.

However the very next month my wife got a job with another MNC with a decent jump in salary.

2004 MARUTI ESTEEM LXi
A few months later the thought entered our head: Should we keep the Esteem or sell it and buy a new car? If we decided to keep the Esteem we thought we should spend some 50K to do it up as the car had begun to show its age.

To clear up my mind (or confuse it some more) I begain to lurk around on Team-BHP almost daily. Until then I had not been very enthusiastic about any sedan or hatch. The biggest impediment for us was that all the cars that were about the same size as the Esteem now came for twice the price. We were absolutely determined that the incoming car should be bigger than the outgoing car.
TOYOTA INNOVA G7 DIESEL
One car that I had always dreamed of owning was the Toyota Innova. The thought of that behemoth on highways with its ample space and good fuel efficiency always appealed to me. In February, we went for a test-drive and my wife instantly liked the Innova. She said it was easy to drive.

I decided on getting the G variant in diesel because it did not have that yellow fake wood trim. This was despite us having decided long ago that we would never buy anything other than the highest variant since we always felt that there was something lacking in our Esteem LXi. I also thought the G variant in silver without the chrome looked better than the V. But still I had a nagging doubt about the lack of ABS in the G variant. Popped the question on Team-BHP and promptly got thrashed.

So then the V it was. The V came to 14 lakhs and change on-road. But since it would be on lease it may still work out I thought. I was miffed though that Toyota wouldn't give the discount of 50K that was advertised in December.

Waited for a month still considering the Innova. I think: With the Aria launch any time soon, who knows? Toyota might lower their prices. Suddenly KA road taxes were increased from their already stratospheric level and now the V variant was just shy of 15. Decided right then that I can't afford it.

With the way KA road taxes are structured, I decided to either buy something for less than 10 lakhs or wait until we get some more funds.
MAHINDRA XYLO E8 w/ABS
Later in May I was on the Koramangala 80 feet road and someone hands me a souvenir for the new SKS Automobiles showroom that was opening nearby. Promptly call up SKS and they send someone over. This time I take the test drive and I am astonished to see the space inside. I was expecting iffy quality as we had test driven a Scorpio a few years back but the quality of the Xylo showed that the Mahindras had moved up quite a few notches.

My son went nuts on knowing that we could put a DVD player and screen inside. The only problem I had during the test drive was when I couldn't figure out which gear I was in and why the vehicle wasn't moving.

I then took my wife to the SKS showroom that weekend. She was ambivalent after the test drive but I said that's all we can afford. Fortunately the Xylo came in just shy of 10 lakhs.

Monday morning, I was on the phone with the 2 leasing agencies connected with my wife's company. Got quotes from both of them and find out that that in 3 years I pay around 10 lakhs. But they tell me it is all pre-tax, so it may actually work out to 6.7 lakhs instead.

When I ask how much it would cost to keep the car after 3 years, I get my biggest shock. They say they will get quotes from 3 used car dealers and then I can buy the car for Re. 1 more than the highest quote. That to me brought a lot of uncertainty into the equation.

I then reconciled myself to relinquishing some of the other benefits of the corporate lease as well, pretax deductions on fuel and chauffeur. The car would be self-driven but it was easy for me to "arrange" a chauffeur. However I felt the whole arrangement looked like a scheme to hoodwink the government and put money in the pockets of a few corporates.

So then we would buy the car on loan. Now when our own money became involved, my wife suddenly started hinting that she may not want to let go of her Esteem.
VOLKSWAGEN POLO 1.x
Then one Friday I ask her what the problem with the Xylo was and she says that it's not classy enough for her. Since I was spending even more time on Team-BHP then, I immediately told her that the only classy car I can think of within our budget is the new Volkswagen Polo. But why would we want to buy a smaller car? After the Esteem, both of us had decided that we did not want to buy another sedan as we hardly ever used the boot. But we never considered any hatch till then.

To my utter surprise, she said she wanted to see pictures of the car right away. I showed her the VW website. She takes one long look and says, "I have decided. I am going to buy the Polo!".

And I say, (Woah) "Wait till you test drive it" (thinking of GTO's advice in every report ).
NEXT: The next day, our visit to the dealer.
Old 6th September 2010, 23:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Excellent narration! Waiting for the rest of the facts!!

Any reason for not considering TATA-Safari?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks