Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 08:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wow this is total awesome stuff Jag XF. Autocar are going to call you soon !
And very clear and well written review and I just wanted to find out on one thing , how is the ingear acceleration when compared to the 5.0 litre v8 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Jaguar has got the pricing spot on! And 600Nm of torque in this sedan Wow..I can imagine the initial rush in acceleration. Will it leave the 530D in the dust?
The top whack for both cars would be limited to 250 only. the sprint from 0 to 100 the 530 d completes in 6.3 secs(jag's weight) but with respect to the torque and bhp figures the Jag will have a snack out of the 530d.

I think this will be the quickest oil burner with in the 50lakh(ex showroom) bracket unless the A4 gets the 4.2 litre heart from the q7 .
Old 9th November 2010, 08:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
I think this will be the quickest oil burner with in the 50lakh(ex showroom) bracket unless the A4 gets the 4.2 litre heart from the q7 .

Nice review jagxf. Never new a diesel existed and that too at this price. Hope Kerala sees more Jags and hope the diesel variant helps sales.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
The top whack for both cars would be limited to 250 only. the sprint from 0 to 100 the 530 d completes in 6.3 secs(jag's weight) but with respect to the torque and bhp figures the Jag will have a snack out of the 530d.

In terms of bhp/torque figures, yes agreed the Jag pretty much makes light work out of the 3.0 TDI and the 530D.
But neither the Audi NOR the BMW need any more power as in real world scenarios and according to official figures achieved and claimed by not only the manufacturers but also multiple other mags and shows , the Jag is the slowest (YES SLOWEST) to 100 and 160. To 62mph the Jag stands as 6.4s,which is 0.1s slower than the 530D and 0.2s slower than the A4 3.0TDI (infact, the A4 with the manual is supposedly only 6.1secs to 100).Even to 160 the Jag remains the slowest albeit slightly. Its surprising ,nonetheless its a fact.
As i stated in the earlier post , the only explanation to this is the power to weight ratio , the Audi's ratio is the highest followed by the Beemer's and then the Jag's. So yes, as of now , to keep the Jag behind (just slightly though) the Germans do not need any V8 or even a more powerful V6 for that matter.
Old 9th November 2010, 13:20   #19
BHPian

>>>

I guess at the end of the day it is the satisfaction that one gets from driving the car that is most important- never mind the on paper figures. The XF has been positioned at the 5, the E and the 6 and not at the 3/C/4.

Also please note that the new owners are trying to position the big cat with more exclusivity than previously and also re-inforcing its Lyons' mantra of grace, space and pace.

The archetypal Jaguar owner is a different animal from an archetypal Bimmer owner; I imagine the same logic applies to archetypal owners of Audis and Mercs. After all a Ferrari owner is different from a Maserati owner, who is different from an Aston owner and so on..

Of course these subtle distinctions are pertinent in the more evolved markets (UK, EU, US, Japan) and may not apply to India or to other developing auto markets.

In India however, any buyer willing to shell out that kind of money will do so for one or a mix of the following criteria (in no particular order) :

snob value
exclusivity
feel good feeling & pride of ownership
power/torque/top speed/acceleration
peace of mind

based on past ownership experience and/or 'brand comfort'.

As long as one is satisfied with one's car, it does not really matter what the world thinks- that is my mantra.

Regards, drive safe
issigonis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2010, 13:41   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Well articulated post. I couldn't agree more with your views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

The archetypal Jaguar owner is a different animal from an archetypal Bimmer owner; I imagine the same logic applies to archetypal owners of Audis and Mercs. After all a Ferrari owner is different from a Maserati owner, who is different from an Aston owner and so on..

Of course these subtle distinctions are pertinent in the more evolved markets (UK, EU, US, Japan) and may not apply to India or to other developing auto markets.

In India however, any buyer willing to shell out that kind of money will do so for one or a mix of the following criteria (in no particular order) :

snob value
exclusivity
feel good feeling & pride of ownership
power/torque/top speed/acceleration
peace of mind

based on past ownership experience and/or 'brand comfort'.

As long as one is satisfied with one's car, it does not really matter what the world thinks- that is my mantra.

Regards, drive safe
Old 9th November 2010, 14:29   #21
BHPian

As issigonis said its not fair to compare an apple with an orange, the A4/C/3 with a big engine either diesel or petrol have a better power to weight ratio than the XF/5/E. IMHO it should be compared with the 530d,E350cdi or the A6 3.0tdi.IMO its more about power delivery,handling etc than 0-100 or 160 km/h timings. The pricing of the car plays a major role as well, would you buy a 530d which costs more than the XF just because the 530d is faster from 0-100 by 0.1 seconds??
Old 9th November 2010, 16:08   #22
BHPian

Great thread guys! I like the different opinions cropping up among the members and the healthy manner in which they are accepted by one and all.

I have always been an ardent fan of the Jags from days of yore and would certainly prefer it over the German bigwigs. However, I believe there is only one dealership so far and service back up would be poor at best.
Guess I would prefer to wait on this...There was some write up about TATA bringing in the manufacturing of the cats to India. That would really give it an edge over the other cars in terms of pricing as TATA is known to pass on at least part of the benefits to the consumer.
Old 9th November 2010, 16:27   #23
BHPian

@arethusa: AFAIK there are 6 showrooms all over India, with more coming up in short time.
Old 9th November 2010, 16:59   #24
BHPian

>>>

The Bimmer has its M, the Merc its AMG.

Do the Audi and the Jag have inhouse performance tuners?
If not, isn't it surprising for such hallowed brands not to have a distinct performance entity, especially for the big cat?

I guess the next step up for Audi will be to position its inhouse performance tuning department, in its long term objective of dominating the Bimmers and the Mercs.

VW has a fairly comprehensive strategy of dominating almost every segment-let us see how they execute it over the coming years.

Regards, drive safe
Old 9th November 2010, 17:33   #25
BHPian

Audi has "RS" and Jag has "R". They are equivalent to AMG and M.

Audi RS's are quite well positioned as it were, a stunning example is the latest RS6.

Back on topic, this car at this price is fantastic in my opinion. A nice bit of exotica for someone who is bored of the regular old audis, mercs and bmw's.

It really does seem like something special. Sorely tempted...
Old 9th November 2010, 18:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Jag has R and Audi has RS.
Old 9th November 2010, 20:09   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
The Bimmer has its M, the Merc its AMG.

Do the Audi and the Jag have inhouse performance tuners?
If not, isn't it surprising for such hallowed brands not to have a distinct performance entity, especially for the big cat?

I guess the next step up for Audi will be to position its inhouse performance tuning department, in its long term objective of dominating the Bimmers and the Mercs.
Sir Audi does make sports oriented cars. They have the S4, S5, S6, S8, TT-S just to name a few. Basically an S model of every car. And till now they also make an RS model, which is more wild than the S. Till now they have been making an RS for only one model at a time, but now I think they are changing that. Till last year the RS4 was made, now they make the RS6.
Old 9th November 2010, 21:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Let me clarify that i was not having a 0-100 dash competition between the A4,30d and Jaguar here. I also very much realize that they are spread across different segments so comparing them would not be fair. Its just that someone mentioned about how quick the Jag might be against similarly powered cars so i posted through whatever i know

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Till now they have been making an RS for only one model at a time, but now I think they are changing that. Till last year the RS4 was made, now they make the RS6.
I am pretty sure the RS4 & RS6 co-existed for a few years. I mean the trend of a solitary RS wouldnt be new for Audi.
Old 9th November 2010, 21:39   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
I am pretty sure the RS4 & RS6 co-existed for a few years. I mean the trend of a solitary RS wouldnt be new for Audi.
Just checked wiki again. Only now do they make more than one model RS. Earlier there was only one.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 9th November 2010 at 21:42.
Old 9th November 2010, 23:06   #30
BHPian

@PlatzdaTurbo: It was not meant to be a personal question, all I meant was it is only fair when you compare an apple to another apple and not any other car of a different segment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks