Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 16:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

The diesel engine of the XF.
Attached Thumbnails
Jaguar XFS (Diesel) Test Drive *UPDATE* Another drive Report added on Pg.3-photo1353.jpg  

Old 10th November 2010, 16:38   #32
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 11th November 2010 at 12:52.
greencity is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th November 2010, 19:28   #33
BHPian

Just read on the Autocar website that the XF has been given a 4 Star NCAP Safety Rating. It's rivals (BMW and Merc) both have 5 Star ratings.

More details here :
Jag vows to improve XF safety - Autocar.co.uk
Old 26th November 2010, 07:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

That is some news you have given us, I thought the JAg was super strong as it was made out of BORON steel for extra strength.

Anyways will I'm sure Jag are going to sort things out.
Old 26th November 2010, 14:14   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Just read on the Autocar website that the XF has been given a 4 Star NCAP Safety Rating. It's rivals (BMW and Merc) both have 5 Star ratings.
One more news item on the same safety rating.
Shock Euro NCAP result for Jaguar - Yahoo! Cars
Old 26th November 2010, 23:33   #36
DNS
BHPian

As it sells at 48/- lacs. Is this XFS a CBU or a CKD. If CKD does anyone know from which unit, Ranjangaon???
Old 27th November 2010, 11:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS View Post
As it sells at 48/- lacs. Is this XFS a CBU or a CKD. If CKD does anyone know from which unit, Ranjangaon???
The XF is definitely a CBU. Probably will be manufactured somewhere in the future .
Old 27th November 2010, 18:42   #38
BHPian

awesome thread! what a car! a super sexy jag with super performance with good efficiency! awesome!

but the problem is that, at that price even the bmw f10 is also awesome! great looks and great performance! the merc is also great but performance is not on par with these beauties!

so now the only area of competition is ride, handling and also feature list.

jagxf, how do you rate its ride quality and handling compared to the f10?

as performance is already compared earlier and the 0.1 sec difference is negligible. but with our roads ride quality is a more important factor.. almost deciding factor.

and whats the on road price difference between these beauties, as jags a cbu.

Last edited by magikrider : 27th November 2010 at 18:49.
Old 30th November 2010, 11:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Is there a facelift expected for the XF sometime in the near future (Mar-Apr 2011)? A friend of my BIL is planning to buy one, but someone has told him that a facelift is expected soon. Is that true?
Old 30th November 2010, 12:21   #40
BHPian

Sid a quick one, with an Indian owner(Tata Motors), when the Jag CBU lands on Indian shores how is the tax computed? Does it attract the same duties/surcharges like foreign company that has set up distribution/dealer network in India? (Audi,BMW & likes)
Old 14th December 2010, 11:15   #41
BHPian

re: Jaguar XFS (Diesel) Test Drive *UPDATE* Another drive Report added on Pg.3

The car appears to be the basic 'Luxury' variant. I had read somewhere that Jag engineers have customised the India spec car, means that it is different from what is being sold in U.K. The changes seems to have been made for keeping the price down, though I wonder why Tata Motors is not realising the sales potential of this car and not assembling it locally through CKD route. That will enable them to match BMW / Merc / Audi pricing and also offer the full range for a wider customer base.

Two changes which I can see in the pictures from the UK Spec Luxry 3.0D S variant in the India spec car are:-

1. 18" Venus Alloys in lieu of of 19" Artura Alloys
2. Normal 8/8 way adjustable front seats in lieu of 18/14 way with memory
function.

However it will still compete favourably with the German trio as they also spec the standard car in bare bones trim and place most of the things on the options list.

I wonder what has been the customer response to XF so far in India? Does anybody has any idea?
Old 14th December 2010, 12:09   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
I wonder why Tata Motors is not realising the sales potential of this car and not assembling it locally through CKD route. That will enable them to match BMW / Merc / Audi pricing and also offer the full range for a wider customer base.

However it will still compete favourably with the German trio as they also spec the standard car in bare bones trim and place most of the things on the options list.

I wonder what has been the customer response to XF so far in India? Does anybody has any idea?
>>>

Sir,
Although the XF competes, with the 5, the E and the 6 broadly, the appeal of the Jags in general and the XF in particular is slightly, and subtly different. As per Tata Motors' stratagem, they want to make the Jag marque exclusive, vis-avis the teutonic three ( should we call them T3 in t-bhp speak?).

So, there is a paradoxical tradeoff here, to
1. create brand awareness amongst the rich in India, not all of whom may be aware of Jag's legacy/history
2. sell and service, and
3. maintain exclusivity.

Please note that hastening an assembly operation in India, exclusively for India/South Asia may not work. Contiguous geographies (Gulf, South East Asia, Australia, Africa) where an 'assembled in India' Jag could be exported to, may not take kindly to luxury imports from India, at least not yet. India is not yet well known for its engineering sophistication/finesse. And in luxury engineered goods, even less so.

I seem to remember reading that the global numbers that Jag is aiming at is less than 100k pa. A significant amount of that 100k will be from the UK, US, western Europe, Japan, South East Asia, South Africa and Australia. India will provide maybe around a thousand; with that offtake, it will be 1% of the total.

Let us wait and watch. These are interesting times for the automobile.

Regards, drive safe, keep the big cat purring!

Last edited by issigonis : 14th December 2010 at 12:12. Reason: Added some points
Old 14th December 2010, 15:36   #43
BHPian

@ issigonis

I think Tatas are already planning to start assembly of Land Rover, whose volumes will be much more than Jag, majority being from defence sector. And Jag will shortly start assembly in China where it has a bigger market than India.

I have a different take on the perceived Indian quality aspect. Mercedes started Indian operations I think in late 90s and their production in initial years were rated internally better than the German ones. Granted that the 'Made in India' tag may not inspire confidence but somebody has to start countering this. After all the T3 (as you named the trio ) are also assembling their cars here and nobody seems to be complaining.

Anyhow it is a business decision to be taken by Tatas and who are we to argue.

By the way a majorly refreshed XF is due by next year end (hopefully) in U.K. They may introduce LED lights, Xenons, some weight reduction, some fuel efficiency measures and upgraded Touch Screen system. An Estate and a cheaper 4 cylinder model is also on the cards. While Estate is certain to come, Jaguar is still scouting for the 4 cylinder engine. They are supposed to be talking to (will you believe it) BMW for the future engine supplies.
Old 17th January 2011, 15:53   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaguar XF-S Diesel Quick Test Drive.

Yesterday afternoon i drove the Jaguar XF-S Diesel. I was accompanying a friend to help him choose a car for him. I drove it on the excellent roads of central Delhi on Sunday afternoon with close zero traffic. Here is how it felt.

Jaguar XFS (Diesel) Test Drive *UPDATE* Another drive Report added on Pg.3-dsc02881-custom.jpg

The XF's design is very different from what we see on the Germans. To me it looks very classy and elegant further amplified by the huge rims with low-profile tires. The Interiors feel equally good. The front seats feel extremely comfortable with wide range of electrical adjustments. The steering too gets electrical adjustment here. Finding a good driving position is very easy here, i found the driver's seat more comfortable when set up lower. The Rear seat feels equally comfortable does not have as much space as the E Class or 5 Series, a six footer sitting behind a six footer will feel tight at rear, to add to the woes the low roof line is too low for people of my height. Clearly this not the best car to be Chauffeur driven, not a match to the E here.

Though i did not check out the whole equipment list so no comparative comments here. The OE sound system does not sound as good as it should for a car of this segment. The central touch screen has all the controls for AC, Audio, Phone etc just like the i-drive plus there are separate controls for AC and Audio too. The CDs in the CD changer can be loaded directly from the slot in the central console. Handbrake is operated from a electronic latch type switch behind the gear shift knob, the Sales person did not know if it comes with a Auto-Handbrake function.

Enter with the key in the pocket, the car unlocks itself, push the Start-Stop button on the central console and the drama begins- The Engine starts with a typical diesel growl similar to the Germans, the AC vents swivel open and the rotary gear shift know pops out from the central console. The Gear shifter has typical options seen these days on Auto 'boxes- P, R, N, D and S plus it gets pedal shifters.

This Diesel may sound weak compared to the V8 Petrol but considered in isolation compared the E and 5 this 3000cc V6 Twin-Turbo Diesel sounds impressive on paper with a 600nm+ torque output and 275bhp of Power. Out on the road this engine feels best in midrange in D mode where the 600nm figure propels it really really strongly, this Engine starts losing poke beyond 4200rpm(In comparison most newer Diesels pull strongly till 5k). Performance is very strong in any gear except at very revs and the 6 Speed gearbox might not be as smooth as the Mercs but is very fast. The extract the best performance from the car just shift to S mode in transmission, push the button with chequered flag behind the gear knob and switch off the DTC and the car is all set up to have some good time. Now the response to the inputs get sharper and gear 'box keeps upshifts late. Sadly unlike the BMW 5 series which comes with a 8 Speed 'box the XF comes with just a six speeder, but both of these are sourced from ZF.

Out on the road this car feels too big, it's close to 5 meters long. I tried pushing the car on some bends i instantly realised this car is not as agile as the smaller cars, though i did not find anything wrong with the car but the 5 feels better. Even at triple digit speeds the Engine is hardly audible and one cannot tell the true speed unless he see the speedo. Any more than moderate input on the accelerator get rear wheels spinning in no time. This car comes with low profile tires as seen in the pic but still it has very good ride, clearly better than the 5. It really absorbs broken patches of our roads very well.

With the not so spacious Rear seat, this is not a car you would like to consider if want to spend the time sitting on the rear seat. If you find the Mercs and Bimmers too common, Audi lacking in Character and you want a self driven car this is the car for you. It comes at a tempting price of 58 Lakhs(OTR Delhi & 53 OTR Ggn, if i remember it right). If i had to pick a car for me in this price range i would pick the BMW 525d and get it tuned to match the power output of 530d.

Jaguar XFS (Diesel) Test Drive *UPDATE* Another drive Report added on Pg.3-dsc02877-custom.jpg

Jaguar XFS (Diesel) Test Drive *UPDATE* Another drive Report added on Pg.3-dsc02878-custom.jpg

Jaguar XFS (Diesel) Test Drive *UPDATE* Another drive Report added on Pg.3-dsc02879-custom.jpg

Jaguar XFS (Diesel) Test Drive *UPDATE* Another drive Report added on Pg.3-dsc02880-custom.jpg

Jaguar XFS (Diesel) Test Drive *UPDATE* Another drive Report added on Pg.3-dsc02882-custom.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks