Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2010, 21:06   #46
BHPian

Now that most of you have new safaris, please do the following without fail:

- anti rust coating for underbody
- teflon or some other paint protection for the body

Plus when you take it out for a water wash,please ensure car do not remain wet especially areas around trip beading (door beading) boot hinges, door hinges, etc. Try to have a dry air treatment done as i did suffer (so did my friends with safari and scorpio) with rust issues. Innova seems to be well off though. My two cents. Dont get paranoid though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
You should TD Aria to believe. Its the same Dicor 2.2 but super silent. You should wait for next gen Safari launch and take.

BTW, BS4 variant Safari is silent compared to BS3.
Guess the water cooled EGR is doing magic along with better damping, but the irritating turbo spinning noise still comes. I did check out the BS IV version and found that smooth compared to mine, which is a BS III version.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 14th November 2010 at 00:06. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
Old 13th November 2010, 14:23   #47
BHPian

Congrats Dhruv!!

A cult car..

BTW, I had driven the 2010 Safari (Don't remember which version though) from Chennai to Yercaud two weeks back and am impressed.

It is a cult vehicle. What a presence...

Live life Kingsize, my Friend!!
Old 13th November 2010, 22:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

Dhruv, congrats on your safari! And what a review! I am a new sedan to SUV convert. Have been using Lancer Diesel which is scraping every bump in town. Pot holes worry me, ramps worry me, steep approach and departure angles worry me, autoricks worry me. Since we sit low in sedans, manholes are not visible until you are upon them ( i fell in one and busted Lancer's suspension lower arm ). Enough is enough. I was thinking of upgrading to a good used Laura/Magnum Diesel but have now given up on them. They are just as low slung, if not more. So an SUV diesel is the solution. It rides high, seats more ( another grouse with sedans ) and scares autoricks and bikers to keep some distance.

I have only two options--- sell Lancer and buy a good used 2008/09 Safari or keep Lancer and buy a Sierra. Ok, this isn't a sierra forum but am seriously thinking of buying a sierra and turning it into a monster truck. deep dish small alloys and huge sidewall ballon tryes. Suggestions anyone?
Old 15th November 2010, 10:34   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Back to my story. Fuel economy. I am having mixed figures, so dont know how to interpret. I had three fills for her so far (with 1700 on the odo).
All the fills were stopped at auto stop. (no top up and at same bunk)

First fill, she had given 11.42 km/l - all City driving with 80% AC on and 10% dual AC.

Second fill, she had given 10.29 km/l - similar pattern of driving as above. I suspect that this figure is distorted by TASS during my first service. I think they kept the engine running at the service center.

Third fill, she returned 12.94 km/l - this was with a 300 km ride to Tirupati via Tirutani. This highway is only a 2 lane highway and mostly I was in 60-80 range and not for long stretches. Occasionally I touched 100 but no significant ripping. Considering the 25km Tirumala uphill ride, this seems to be decent mileage.

My driving style was sedate as I was running in her and mostly the RPM hovers around 1500-2000. Still I am happy with the mileage she has given.

Also the SA for my first service, asked me to use Shell. I think BS3 owners in forum are not using Shell. What about BS4 owners? What fuel are you using?

Druva: Good to read you're enjoying your Safari. Couple of questions here:

1. I understand using the front a/c will bring down the fuel economy a bit; does switching on the second overhead a/c backseat reduce fuel economy any more?

2. Why does the SA recommend SHELL diesel? How is it different from regular HP/IOC/BP diesel?

My Black Safari EX is at the dealership now undergoing PDI, Anti rust treatment and sunfilm installation; visited her on Saturday and did my own PDI and all good.
Registration tomorrow, and hoping by evening I will have her all for myself..
Been a long wait since I booked her on Sept 18th.

It sure thrills.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:16   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post

- anti rust coating for underbody
- teflon or some other paint protection for the body

Plus when you take it out for a water wash,please ensure car do not remain wet especially areas around trip beading (door beading) boot hinges, door hinges, etc. Try to have a dry air treatment done as i did suffer ...

Guess the water cooled EGR is doing magic along with better damping, but the irritating turbo spinning noise still comes. I did check out the BS IV version and found that smooth compared to mine, which is a BS III version.
Thanks Sunish for the wishes and tips. I have done underbody anti-rust coating during my first service. I am not planning Teflon coating.

Any idea how the engine bay holds up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Congrats Dhruv!!

A cult car..

BTW, I had driven the 2010 Safari (Don't remember which version though) from Chennai to Yercaud two weeks back and am impressed.

It is a cult vehicle. What a presence...

Live life Kingsize, my Friend!!
Thanks Ranga. Yes awesome ego booster when it comes to "kingsize"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I am a new sedan to SUV convert. Have been using Lancer Diesel which is scraping every bump in town. Pot holes worry me, ramps worry me, steep approach and departure angles worry me, autoricks worry me.

...So an SUV diesel is the solution. It rides high, seats more ( another grouse with sedans ) and scares autoricks and bikers to keep some distance.
Sagar, I must couple of -ves before you zero on a SUV.

1. Lancer is a drivers car. You will be able to rip her on curvy routes.
SUVs are NOT. Safari has body roll at high speed turns.

2. The noice refinements in Indian SUVs are not good. The only one I liked is ARIA, but pricey.

My suggestion, drive a SUV for long distances and then decide. TD alone doesnt give full perspective. Regarding the scaring of bikers part, nothing scares this jokers. I dont see autoricks cutting me nastily, but still the bikers cut me.

My city drive has become more relaxed. The driver seating position is relaxing with the captain seat, lumbar/thigh support, arm rest and top down view. In addition the low ratios of the lower gears means, I am not the first one off the blocks. So naturally my driving style has become more sedated. With minimal people trying to cut through, I have stress less driving within city. Only pain points are parking and U-Turns.

Quote:
I have only two options--- sell Lancer and buy a good used 2008/09 Safari or keep Lancer and buy a Sierra. Ok, this isn't a sierra forum but am seriously thinking of buying a sierra and turning it into a monster truck. deep dish small alloys and huge sidewall ballon tryes. Suggestions anyone?
My vote will be for 2009 Safari. I think Sierra will require more time from you in maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Druva: Good to read you're enjoying your Safari. Couple of questions here:

1. I understand using the front a/c will bring down the fuel economy a bit; does switching on the second overhead a/c backseat reduce fuel economy any more?

Logic says it should. I have not so far measured within a trip to compare. Also Safari doesnt come with the Information Display which gives fuel efficiency immediately. All my fuel efficiencies are measured tank-fill to tank-fill.

Also another point to observe is - switching on the front AC means the foot level vents at rear seat will also give AC. There is no switch to completely shut this one. So between the front AC and 2nd row roof AC - the front AC will consume more load + fuel.

2. Why does the SA recommend SHELL diesel? How is it different from regular HP/IOC/BP diesel?

NO idea. I have posted the query in Safari Technical thread. The general consensus there is IOC normal diesel is the preferred choice. I am currently using HP Normal. Planning to scout for good IOC bunks near my house to switch.

My Black Safari EX is at the dealership now undergoing PDI, Anti rust treatment and sunfilm installation; visited her on Saturday and did my own PDI and all good.
Registration tomorrow, and hoping by evening I will have her all for myself..
Been a long wait since I booked her on Sept 18th.

Great news. Congrats. Black Safari is awesome. Hoping to see pics soon and then your thread as well.

It sure thrills.

When you drive, She will also give you smile and respect. Enjoy !

Last edited by druva : 15th November 2010 at 14:24.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also another point to observe is - switching on the front AC means the foot level vents at rear seat will also give AC. There is no switch to completely shut this one. So between the front AC and 2nd row roof AC - the front AC will consume more load + fuel.
You can completely close air vents at rear middle AC vents. There are two circular air volume controller given for both vents. One extreme position actually closes the vent.

Regarding to middle row roof top AC, it contains only cooling coil and works with same compressor. No additional compressor available for this. So, when you switch on roof top AC it will not give additional load to engine.
Old 15th November 2010, 15:00   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
You can completely close air vents at rear middle AC vents. There are two circular air volume controller given for both vents. One extreme position actually closes the vent.
Mine does not close! I have to get this checked.

Quote:
Regarding to middle row roof top AC, it contains only cooling coil and works with same compressor. No additional compressor available for this. So, when you switch on roof top AC it will not give additional load to engine.
Does it impact fuel efficiency? Also, in comparison to my erstwhile Santro -switching on the AC doesnt make any difference to the engine. In Santro there is a visible impact on the engine power. Safari just putters on
Old 15th November 2010, 15:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it impact fuel efficiency? Also, in comparison to my erstwhile Santro -switching on the AC doesnt make any difference to the engine. In Santro there is a visible impact on the engine power. Safari just putters on
Second rooftop AC would not impact fuel efficiency. It just give additional strain to electrical system.

Switching on AC of cars with below 1500CC engine capacity would give visible impact of slow pickup. Beyond 1500CC modern engine it is not.
In modern higher capacity engine ECU is very smart and it quickly adjust engine RPM for compensating additional load given by AC. If you drive old Safari with TCIC engine you will feel same slowness feeling as of Santro.
Old 15th November 2010, 23:51   #54

Thanx Druva,
This is a wonderfull thread. I am currently in process of booking Ventor but not OK with the wait time of 3 months... I was visiting MM, Ford and VW showroom every other weekend trying to make a sure decision. Never had Safari in my mind as i heard terible stories about its after sales service, issues with plastic and electricals from many reviews.
But every time i see a Safari passing by, my eyes crave for a glance of it. The elegance the superior King of the Road attitude are only found with this vechile.
You Punch line "Go with your heart" like the one straight from **Rajini Sir** made me think again about what I really want.
Please post more pics of your car and ownership report.
Hope i find my destiny.
Old 16th November 2010, 21:11   #55
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Druva. Yes, you are right. Lancer IS indeed a delight on twisties. Only the speedbreaker/steep ramps scraping part annoys. Yes, getting a good Sierra now is almost impossible. Well, looks like I am going to have to start looking for Safaris. And BTW, as far as rolling is concerned, Safari is not as bad as Scorpio.
Old 17th November 2010, 03:36   #56
BHPian

Thanks Druva for the detailed thread on your Safari ownership.

I've been dreaming of my safari since quite some time now, coincidentally I too own a Santro at this point of time.

I have a family of 4 including my pet dog, it becomes difficult for my dog to accompany us in long drives as he is monstrous ( a german shepherd). Also my extended family of MIL (mother in law) and brother in law join us for long trips. Moreover my parents and my brother also join us for long trips sometimes.

So based on the space requirements and also following my heart [;] I'll be upgrading to a Safari shortly.

BTW I used to admire the punch line of safari "THE ONLY THING STOPPING YOU IS YOURSELF".

Thanks again and happy and safe driving.

Rajiv
Old 17th November 2010, 03:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

Sweet! Congrats on your new purchase. Drive safe!
Old 17th November 2010, 10:58   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Second rooftop AC would not impact fuel efficiency. It just give additional strain to electrical system.

Thanks. Nice to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish_go View Post
Thanx Druva,
This is a wonderfull thread. I am currently in process of booking Ventor but not OK with the wait time of 3 months...

But every time i see a Safari passing by, my eyes crave for a glance of it. The elegance the superior King of the Road attitude are only found with this vechile.

You Punch line "Go with your heart" like the one straight from **Rajini Sir** made me think again about what I really want.
Please post more pics of your car and ownership report.
Hope i find my destiny.
Thanks. If you are booking Vento my suggestion wait for few more months. It should trigger a price war between City, Linea T-Jet and Vento. Honda should be doing something to arrest the decline its facing.

If you "Going with your heart", you can do that any time.

Wish you good luck in meeting your destiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Thanks Druva. Yes, you are right. Lancer IS indeed a delight on twisties. Only the speedbreaker/steep ramps scraping part annoys. Yes, getting a good Sierra now is almost impossible. Well, looks like I am going to have to start looking for Safaris. And BTW, as far as rolling is concerned, Safari is not as bad as Scorpio.
Keep looking. Another aspect on your trading, its easy to sell and buy a new car (timing wise). But when you are looking for old car - you may need to spend more time in searching for sweet car.

When I was hunting for a lateral upgrade, I was at same time trying to sell. There was huge pressure from buyers to buy cars immediately. The moment you say it will take 2 months to sell, most simply walk away.

Just keep this in mind when you hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiv.kulkarni View Post

I've been dreaming of my safari since quite some time now, coincidentally I too own a Santro at this point of time.

I have a family of 4 including my pet dog, it becomes difficult for my dog to accompany us in long drives as he is monstrous ( a german shepherd). Also my extended family of MIL (mother in law) and brother in law join us for long trips. Moreover my parents and my brother also join us for long trips sometimes.

So based on the space requirements and also following my heart [;] I'll be upgrading to a Safari shortly.

BTW I used to admire the punch line of safari "THE ONLY THING STOPPING YOU IS YOURSELF".

Thanks again and happy and safe driving.

Rajiv
Thanks Rajiv. From Santro to Safari is quiet natural upgrade - both tall boys with good road visibility. City driving wise I dont face issue at all.

Safari back cabin is ideal for dog and luggage. Beware kids enjoy this space very much and dont be surprised if your kid trades/ shares the place with the dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Sweet! Congrats on your new purchase. Drive safe!
Thanks for the wishes.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:27   #59

Congrats Dhruv! I am sure you are enjoying your new 'car'. How is the driving? Have heard a lot about the lifeless steering in the Safari?
Old 17th November 2010, 13:19   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cars View Post
Congrats Dhruv! I am sure you are enjoying your new 'car'. How is the driving? Have heard a lot about the lifeless steering in the Safari?
Thanks Just Cars. Ofcourse, I am enjoying the rides. Before buying my parents were concerned whether I can drive this in city. But after seeing the vehicle, they seem to appreciate.

I dont seem to have issues in driving. i got used to the width within couple of drives. I am now driving with both side mirrors extended (my Santro didnt have LHS). This is the main difficulty.

I have occasional difficulty in slotting first gear. If i remove and push clutch again then I am able to slot the gear. Other than this no issues in driving.

What do you mean by lifeless steering? The steering has a nice heavy feeling (its not light like lets say City). The power steering lets you maneuver in streets with no problem. 90 degree turns also no issue. Only in U Turns it doesnt seem to listen to me.. I would blame the turning radius than just the steering.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks