Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey really nice writing about the decision making. Eagerly waiting for the pics now.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:21   #17
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations. Wish you many miles of happy driving in your Safari.

My story is similar to yours, and I'll write it down when my Safari is delivered. Received the VIN only yesterday after Rohit Fernandes intervened.
(I am also from near Tirunelveli (Tuticorin district).)
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:27   #18
BHPian

" EX - not so VFM. Why would anyone pay so much for twin a/cs plus some audio system? (&I feel the single AC is sufficient upto middle row. Even with Single AC there is an AC vent in middle row leg space) "

@Druva, Not sure about others, but i went for it mainly because of Pearl white besides interior, body coloured bumpers, puddle lamps , scuff plates , immobilizer etc.. Few little things give you a premium feel for this vehicle which has only bare basic features. So i guess its not bad as far as VFM is concerned. however, i agree Lx is a true VFM
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:44   #19
BHPian

Druva, congrats. Excellent write-up.
Wish you safe and long pleasant mileage.
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:41   #20
BHPian

Thanks a lot for overwhelming response on my writing. I had set a goal to improve my writing skills. Your comments are motivating me.

After the Safari came, work seems to following me.

So, instead of making you all wait, I will post some pics. Sorry for the iffy pics. I am having issues in uploading pics from my current camera. I have reshot pictures with my old camera which has lower resolution and makes me rush thru a shootout. (as the batteries drain faster than I can click!! please bear with shaking hands)

I will sort the issue with my current camera and upload better pictures tomorrow. bear with me.

The ride.
Forgotten Dream Realized. Cycus Grey Safari 2010 GX comes home-car_0002.jpg

The rear.
Forgotten Dream Realized. Cycus Grey Safari 2010 GX comes home-img_0003.jpg

The Side Profile
Forgotten Dream Realized. Cycus Grey Safari 2010 GX comes home-img_0006.jpg

The dual interiors only from 2010 onwards. Notice the seat as well as inner door handles. GX comes with Leather plus fabric insert. I am no expert. The leather quality seems decent.
Forgotten Dream Realized. Cycus Grey Safari 2010 GX comes home-img_0004.jpg

The blue dials. Again is a feature part of 2010 models.
Forgotten Dream Realized. Cycus Grey Safari 2010 GX comes home-img_0013.jpg

The steering also has dual tone and matches perfectly with interiors.
Forgotten Dream Realized. Cycus Grey Safari 2010 GX comes home-img_0016.jpg

The center console.
Forgotten Dream Realized. Cycus Grey Safari 2010 GX comes home-img_0009.jpg

The gear box is so close to center console. One my irritants as operating music system when you are in gears 1,3 is difficult.
Forgotten Dream Realized. Cycus Grey Safari 2010 GX comes home-img_0011.jpg

So you thought gears 2,4,R should be comfortable. Naah. Place a 500 ml bottle then you will have trouble. With so much space all around, the only irritant I have.
Forgotten Dream Realized. Cycus Grey Safari 2010 GX comes home-img_0012.jpg

Sorry for the Shaky hands. The trunk space. Though there is so much space, still there is no space to store tools box!! Stupid TATA.
Forgotten Dream Realized. Cycus Grey Safari 2010 GX comes home-img_0002.jpg
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:33   #21
BHPian

Man you are very lucky - you atleast got a chance to relive your dream. I was very near to achieving my dream to but for some reasons I did not buy the Safari and went on to buy the Punto 1.3 EP.

Well hope to relive my dream soon and yes congrats on your new car and for the beautiful writeup.
Old 4th November 2010, 09:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
" EX - not so VFM. Why would anyone pay so much for twin a/cs plus some audio system? (&I feel the single AC is sufficient upto middle row. Even with Single AC there is an AC vent in middle row leg space) "

@Druva, Not sure about others, but i went for it mainly because of Pearl white besides interior, body coloured bumpers, puddle lamps , scuff plates , immobilizer etc.. Few little things give you a premium feel for this vehicle which has only bare basic features. So i guess its not bad as far as VFM is concerned. however, i agree Lx is a true VFM

Same with me.. The few extras you get for EX makes it worth the extra lakh, especially because once you take LX you are anyway going to spend a decent amount on atleast a music system and central locking.

The following is the list of extras EX has over LX:

Roof A/c for rear seats
Engine Immobiliser
Rear demister
Driver seat height adjuster
Front fog lamps
Body colored claddings and bumpers
CD/MP3 player
Remote locking/Keyless entry
Wood console with analog clock

Out of this, the Roof A/c, Engine immobiliser, music system, front fog lamps and most importantly body colored claddings were the decision makers for me.
Old 4th November 2010, 09:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Congratulations on your new car.

Please post some good pictures of it.
Thanks. Good pictures will have to wait. For now, few pictures are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post

Before someone else marks this statement - "More and more Raining Safari's in TBHP" !

Good luck & Safe motoring
Prem.
Thanks Prem. Yes, at the time of wait, there were atleast 5 member who had booked. But disappointing to see the monthly figures though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadeep View Post
Good Luck Druva.

Your phased review is good but please post some pictures including interiors. Also are seats come with full leather OR a mix of leather with some other materials?

Once again wishes for the family
Thanks for the hearty wishes. GX seats comes with fabric insert. VX the top end comes with full leather. (same dual color)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Hey really nice writing about the decision making. Eagerly waiting for the pics now.
Thanks. More pics coming. Please give me 2 more days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Druva, congrats. Excellent write-up.
Wish you safe and long pleasant mileage.
Thanks Mahesh. Hope you remember we spoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Man you are very lucky - you atleast got a chance to relive your dream. ...

Well hope to relive my dream soon and yes congrats on your new car and for the beautiful writeup.
Thanks. Yes going with the heart was not easy. That is one of the reason for the lengthy writeup.

Wish you luck on realizing your dream too. I have checked out the Aria couple of days back. If that and Manza are going to be any yard stick, the new SUV coming out of TATA should be a stonker.
Old 4th November 2010, 10:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Congratulations on your purchase
You mentioned "Interiors were even better." Can you comment more on this?
Thanks. What I meant was in comparison between BS3 and BS4 versions of Safari. Dealer brought the BS3 version for TD to my home. The BS4 version interiors looked even better. The pictures show the dual interiors, leather seats and the blue dials of BS4 2010 version. The BS3 version comes with single color (biege, if i remember correctly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Hearty Congratulations. Wish you many miles of happy driving in your Safari.

My story is similar to yours, and I'll write it down when my Safari is delivered. Received the VIN only yesterday after Rohit Fernandes intervened.
(I am also from near Tirunelveli (Tuticorin district).)
Thanks and advance congrats to you too. I was born in Tuticorin.
Did my prelim schooling in Sahupuram (Dharangadara Chemicals!).. ring a bell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
" ....

Thanks for the wishes. See below for my response regarding EX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Same with me.. The few extras you get for EX makes it worth the extra lakh, especially because once you take LX you are anyway going to spend a decent amount on atleast a music system and central locking.

The following is the list of extras EX has over LX:

Out of this, the Roof A/c, Engine immobiliser, music system, front fog lamps and most importantly body colored claddings were the decision makers for me.
I realize that my writing has come out more stronger than my intention. The price differnce between variants is quiet high. 1 lakh between LX, EX and GX. VX cost 1.7 more than GX.. TATA needs to look at this.

My point regarding EX should be treated as.. when you consider EX, look at EX 4x4 version. You can also get alloys + 4W transmission for it.

All said and done, choice of model depends on Vitamin M. Its better to go for factory fit accessories than spending extra on lower version. Also resale value of higher version is better than lower version with accessories added.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
I realize that my writing has come out more stronger than my intention. The price differnce between variants is quiet high. 1 lakh between LX, EX and GX. VX cost 1.7 more than GX.. TATA needs to look at this.

My point regarding EX should be treated as.. when you consider EX, look at EX 4x4 version. You can also get alloys + 4W transmission for it.

All said and done, choice of model depends on Vitamin M. Its better to go for factory fit accessories than spending extra on lower version. Also resale value of higher version is better than lower version with accessories added.
My guess - Reason b/w VX & GX being 1.7L could be due to some exclusive parts fit in like Air bags, DVD player + screens, etc ...
This is one area where ARIA [currently] seeing a steep increase in price. There is no other vehicle to share across the cost like how Innova & Fortuner shares OR other cars in TATA stable itself shares - like Indigo & Indica, Manza & Vista OR most from the Maruti stable.
If & When Safari is launched based on X2 platform, More people might get convinced that ARIA is VFM since it would start sharing components.

Your comment on "Comparison b/w lower model + Post sales accessories" v/s "Factory fit high end variant" is absolutely true as far as what I have seen and experienced.

Prem.
Old 4th November 2010, 12:47   #26
BHPian

druva

you have left me hooked like no other Safari writeup's off late...Am still waiting for you to complete your saga with the dealer.

those who love, live and dream of SAFARI will only be encouraged to follow their heart..!

SAFARI is not a choice of Head but of the HEART! So glad that you have been able to follow your heart!

Quote:
However, my wife said. "You have bought so many things for us. Buy for yourself. Simply go ahead with Safari. God has given us good things. He wont let us down on this".
Quote:
I recollected an earlier incident. I had told my builder that I need a large parking slot. When he asked what car you have, I have impulsively told "Safari". :-)
SHEER GOOSEPIMPLE'S
Old 4th November 2010, 13:16   #27
BHPian

Congrats Druva and a beautiful write up.

As for the tool box, there is a provision under the middle seats, - a flap kind of thing which holds all of the tool box and the jack rod. I got to know this from the the sales man at Concorde during the PDI. I'll try to post pictures of that soon.

Last edited by Kairalee : 4th November 2010 at 13:19.
Old 4th November 2010, 21:33   #28
BHPian

PDI and Final Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
If & When Safari is launched based on X2 platform, More people might get convinced that ARIA is VFM since it would start sharing components.

I was expecting TATA to rationalize the models and thereby the prices. If you include 4x2, 4x4 there are totally 7 variants in Safari alone. Plus TATA Aria Pure will come. I think Pure will be below VX price.. So TATA has to do something about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
druva

you have left me hooked like no other Safari writeup's off late...Am still waiting for you to complete your saga with the dealer.

those who love, live and dream of SAFARI will only be encouraged to follow their heart..!

SAFARI is not a choice of Head but of the HEART! So glad that you have been able to follow your heart!
Thanks. It was like every body saying NO and you eloping with the girl. :-)
I hope its a happy married life after

Quote:

SHEER GOOSEPIMPLE'S
Thanks. These thoughts kept me sane during the wait period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
Congrats Druva and a beautiful write up.

As for the tool box, there is a provision under the middle seats, - a flap kind of thing which holds all of the tool box and the jack rod. I got to know this from the the sales man at Concorde during the PDI. I'll try to post pictures of that soon.
Thanks Kairalee. Thats a nice tip. I have to check out.

Now for my final part about the delivery.

PDI.
Finally on 29th, I was invited to the showroom for PDI. I was happy to see the beauty. I did PDI with the TBHP checklist. Surprisingly, I couldnt find much issues. I was worried whether I did proper PDI ;-)
The issues I identified were:
  1. Rear trunk door not closing properly.
  2. Seat belts not there in 2nd row bench seat (it was there - behind in the 3rd room cabin. we had to flip the seats to get the belts properly)
  3. There was a cable hanging below the 2nd row. (as per Concorde guys, they said its the centre a/c drain duct and its better to leave it lengthy)
  4. The central power window lock had a hole. The sales guy said its like that in all vehicles. I did not pursue.
Overall I was very happy. I gave them go ahead to register. I told them to register on Oct 6th and I will take the delivery on same day. My parents were supposed to join us on 4th. I started counting days for delivery.

Delivery
This was a big let down. The sales person told us to come at 7 pm. I pushed him to do at 5:30 pm. He said fine. I asked my family to come to show room at 5:30 pm. I planned to come direct from office. That day, work was very tight at office. I got a call from the sales guy around 5:15pm that they had water shortage and there will be delay in delivery. I told him, my family already started. I had to tear myself from work at 7pm and reached showroom at 7:30 pm. Just then I could see a water tanker entering the premises. My family was seated at a corner as the showroom was taken by crew shooting a film about Nano.

Finally, I was given delivery at 9:30 pm. The car was given only a wash and no polishing. They didnt even fix mud flaps, floor mats or the rear steps that I had asked. After I made a scene, they somehow fixed mud flaps and floor mats. Overall, I left with mixed feelings - elated about Safari and worried about the forthcoming service ;-)

We had to give up our plans of temple visit and simply went to sangeetha' at Velachery and returned home at 11:30 pm!!

My views about Safari
I should say, its THE Ride. When I told about my decision to my father and brother. They simply asked "Why Safari"? After the first ride to restaurant and home my dad was totally converted. He admired the shape and the ride quality.

The positives:
  1. The ride quality and seating ergonomics. One of the best at this price range. The arm rest and the seat shapes is well designed and oozes luxury.
  2. The high stance and top down view. My previous ride (Santro) was not bad in road view. But Safari takes it to an elevated level.
  3. The super suspension.
  4. I am practicing to ride without clutch riding. The vehicle dont seem to stall that easily!!
  5. Brakes are effective. I think the EBD is efficient. So far I dont seem to have used the ABS.
  6. The mirrors fold on impact both inwards and outwards. I think this is sufficient to withstand soft speed brushes. I am not sure how it will withstand higher speed brush ups.
  7. I can feel that the car is a highway car (even though I havent driven her long in highway). Within city the first 3 gears are sufficient. The 4th and 5th beg for power.. I typically change to 4th at 40 in my Santro. Safari seems to want it only in 50/60. 5th Seems to be even more taller. Acceleration in 4th seems to be good.
  8. Huge ORVMs and very good rear view mirror. It would be nice, if they given anti glare in ORVMs too! The rear view mirrors are top class.
The negatives
  1. The huge turning radius
  2. The difficult gears. I still have trouble slotting first gear. I hope I am not breaking in (rather than running in). These two points make it difficult to ride within the city.
  3. The rear door is too heavy. My kids cant close it properly. I have engaged child lock so that they dont open it accidentally. When they get in from outside, I always have to double check the lock. I pray to God that I dont miss checking on any unfortunate day.
  4. The console indicator lights are light yellow (only one is blue). These yellow lights are not visible at day time. They should have gone for complete blue.
  5. The ergonomics of gear is the poorest design issue in the vehicle. Its difficult to change music system when engaging 1st and 3rd gears. Also with a bottle, its difficult to use the 2,4 and R gears. From the pics, I see this continuing in Aria too}
  6. The A-Pillar gives a blind spot when turning right. This blind spot is there in Santro also, but the thick slope in Safari makes it more acute.
  7. The wheels on the rear block the view of the close following vehicle. I am also not able to judge if the vehicle at the rear is too close or not.
  8. No space for water bottles. Only 1/2 liter bottles can be kept.
The niggles

Whats Safari, without niggles? Mine seem to have less (or I am not so observant?)
  1. My first blown fuse. I had checked the electric fuel lid opener during my PDI. It worked fine even during my first fill. I filled about 10 litres the first night as my regualr pump was closed. To my dismay, Safari was still showing reserve!! However the next day when I wanted to fill her, the fuel lid was not working! I had to go back to open it manually. I took her to the showroom for fixing the number plates, the "Sales person" fixed the fuel lid by replacing a fuse!!
  2. 2nd row AC condensation. My first time use, the AC started showing water drops. We stopped it at the time as the cabin itself became cold by then. After that I had no repeat of the issue. As per SA, its normal to see condensation but not water continuously leaking. Not sure.
False Alarms
  1. One day I couldnt open the rear door from outside. As I had engaged the child lock on this door, I could neither open from inside.
    Somehow I was able to open the door next day. Now I am having better hang of opening the door and i dont have repeat of this problem. I am also making a practice to let in the kids from outside and lock the doors myself.
  2. My daughter switched off the AC switch instead of the air blower. The next day morning, I thought the AC was not working. I was not sure whether the AC was on or not - because the yellow lights on these switches are not visible at day time. At evening, I found that the AC was not on and heeved a sigh of relief (otherwise this would have been my 2nd electrical problem and the manual advises you to take it to TASS for checkup if there is more than one electrical problem)
  3. I had a momentary loss of power in 2nd gear. Fortunately I noticed that it was due to the parking brake was not fully released. Luckily I had started only then and travelled probably only 50 mts. Hope I have not damaged her much.
Please advice me on Accessories.
I am planning the following accessories. Require some clarifications and suggestions on best brands.
  1. Sun Film - planning for Lumar. Havent been able to find time to complete it.
  2. Reverse Camera - mostly dropping this as I am now more comfortable with the sensors. What are other owners having/ planning?
  3. Front bumpers - not planning to take this.
  4. Head lights - planning for 50/60 Philips extreme vision.
  5. Rear Organizer - Anujmisra mentioned in his thread. So far I havent found one. Please suggest
  6. Air Pump/ Pressure Gauge - need one good one. Please suggest. HauteZone showed me one for Rs 2500/ That too chinese brand. Not sure.
  7. Hydraulic jack for lifting the vehicle. I was told that the wheels are heavy and self change of wheels would be near impossible. In all probability some truck driver is going to help me change wheels. Will I require this? Any owners have experience in changing wheels?
  8. ICE - not upgrading. No vitamin M left. :-)
  9. I want something to hold the tools box and Jopasu duster at the rear. Safari comes with a net(!!) to hold.
  10. I dont like the floor carpeting as it attracts/ retains dust. Has anybody done rubber carpeting or something similar? Haute Car Zone at Chennai tried to sell me that.. They quoted 7500/- for Safari. I think its expensive for an unbranded carpeting.
  11. Vacuum Cleaner or some brushes to clean the floor. What brands to look for and what are the price ranges?
Old 4th November 2010, 22:40   #29
BHPian

Druva,

You can get good trunk organisers and rear back seat mounted organisers from Ebay.in or at many big accessories dealers.

I bought the trunk orgasniser from Ebay.in and the seat back organiser from Metro in Bangalore.

Check this in my Beast (The alluminum box you see is a foldable picnic table).

Old 4th November 2010, 23:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Nice car Druva!! and a good read. Wish you many happy miles on you "Beast"

Of late I've been drawn to SUVs for a very bad reason. Well-frankly for terrorising my fellow motorists!! Pesky motorcyclists with a death wish. SUV comes along barrelling down the road and all are good boys

For a car guy and one with the hots for hot hatches it's a remarkable change of attitude i must say. The things Indian roads do to you!!

Tyre upgrade?? Those wheel wells would look swell with some wider tyres!!

Drive on,
Shibu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks