Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 11:12   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

And 1500-1600? isnt this where turbo kicks in?
Could it be something to do with the turbocharger? Is the turbocharger located on front right side of bonnet (when you are sitting in car) ? Does it make an audible kitch-kitch noise when it kicks in? But why does it also cause a momentory power loss when it kicks in?
A little more understanding of how it works might throw more light on this issue?

Is this turbo lag? Should we just call it the Turbocharge lag issue?

Last edited by verditer : 7th December 2010 at 11:15.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:26   #17
BHPian

By the way my car seems to pulling to left wand also the steering is not centered. I think it needs alignment. I checked up the free service coupon. I doesn't say about wheel alignment. Will they do it for free or I gonna pay for it. Nevertheless, I will get it done during first free service.

Cheers
Old 7th December 2010, 16:05   #18
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats sheelz

That's a great kmpl that you got, I guess it was primarily due to driving at close to 2000 rpm in 5th gear at speeds less than 90 all through out.

We loose milage not only on driving in lower gears at slow speeds but also when we drive above 100 and push the engine hard.

Besides the climate could have been cool and the load on the AC less.
Old 7th December 2010, 16:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Could it be something to do with the turbocharger? Is the turbocharger located on front right side of bonnet (when you are sitting in car) ? Does it make an audible kitch-kitch noise when it kicks in? But why does it also cause a momentory power loss when it kicks in?
A little more understanding of how it works might throw more light on this issue?

Is this turbo lag? Should we just call it the Turbocharge lag issue?
Rather than the turbo, I suspect the EGR. When the exhaust start flowing to engine, is the ECU taking time to make adjustments and hence a power loss? Or am I sounding stupid? If its the turbo, the power loss may not be there?
Old 7th December 2010, 17:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Sheelz congrats on The Safari (The King) and just enjoy the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
By the way my car seems to pulling to left wand also the steering is not centered. I think it needs alignment. I checked up the free service coupon. I doesn't say about wheel alignment. Will they do it for free or I gonna pay for it. Nevertheless, I will get it done during first free service.

Cheers
This is nothing but the Steering Wheel Alignent issue, get this checked at the TASS and they will help you out to sort out the issue an dthey will not charge you anything.
Old 8th December 2010, 12:21   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV

Congratulations on the car! Please note that Team-BHP does not permit booking / buying experience threads in the Test-Drives section anymore. For the benefit of members & guests alike, it is now imperative to include a complete driving / ownership report on your car.

This thread is temporarily closed. Please PM me or report this post once you are ready to update this thread with a complete driving report; that's when it shall be re-opened. Thanks for your support.
Old 11th December 2010, 14:32   #22
BHPian

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV

Hi BHP-ians

Sorry for updating my thread late. My profession keeps me busy these days and nights. Its a weekend today and I thought I will pen down my experience with the beast. The beast has also completed a week with and I am loving every moment of the ownership.

Ok. Let me bring out my experience of owning the Jet for a week.

It has done 1200 kms of running. The road presence is awesome and you can see the lesser mortals veering off the road to give you the way. Man, its really a star. I can still see people staring at it when it passes by. The color combination is absolutely stunning-as told to me by many. although it has some small niggles(very minor) but it doesn't prevent you from enjoying the drive. Here are some reasons as to why you will fall in love with beast:
  • The ride is absolutely comfortable. I have driven on roads that don't even qualify to be called as roads but the way it handles the bad roads, its amazing. You have the confidence to take it anywhere and you know that it will wade through almost anything. You don't have to look for the way, you make your own way.
  • The city handling is also good. After my 1000 km highway drive, I have driven mostly in city and I found it equally drivable as my zen. The only concern is tight parking space. but then its question of getting used to it.
  • The interiors have also been worked upon by TATA. The orange-black leather combination look beautiful. You don't have to go for art leather seats.
  • The seating position is high and comfortable. The seating position is in fact so comfortable that I didn't get tired even after driving 1000 km in days time. The rear seats are like sofas on the road. The only concern are the jump seats. but for me that compartment will be used for luggage only.
  • I used to think that TATA after selling their vehicle forgets about you. But I was wrong. Yesterday I got a call from TATA Head office in Mumbai and they inquired about my vehicle and my buying experience. They asked me everything from test drive to vehicle performance till now. I mentioned a few issues to which they replied that they will revert back to me. The call lasted for about 10 mins. I guess they have learned that customer satisfaction does matter.
  • The pulling power is top notch and vehicle accelerates effortlessly. I am just waiting for my run-in period to get over(1500-1800 km) then I will take her for a spin.
There are a few issues that were noticed during this period. I will take them up with TASS during first free service.
  • The problem of momentary power loss still exist. I am running it on ordinary diesel as suggested by forum members. But every now and then, this problem occurs.
  • There is a hiss sound when taking a full turn to either side. Somebody told me that its power steering pressure sound but I will get it checked.
  • The music system position is awkward. But I guess I can't help it. I am planning to install a HU with steering mounted remote control. Any help on it?
  • The black color attracts a lot of dust and it takes lots of effort and time to clean this beast. But no option here. Have to do it.
  • Somebody has suggested that if going for long drive over bad roads, its better to remove the spare wheel and keep it in cargo compartment to prevent rear door rattle as the door mounts are not very strong. Is it really required? Removing the spare tyre takes away its charm.
  • The vehicle headlight are also not adjusted. High beam is too high. Tried adjusting through the rotary switch given in cockpit but no joy. Will get it rectified during first service.
Here a few more pictures of the Jet.(pardon quality, taken with cell phone)

Till next time, Keep revving...
Attached Thumbnails
My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-image149.jpg  

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-image150.jpg  

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-image157.jpg  

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-image158.jpg  

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-image159.jpg  

Old 11th December 2010, 17:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that TATA gave you a call to get your feedbacks. I hope they do follow up with proper action.

Quote:
...The problem of momentary power loss still exist. I am running it on ordinary diesel as suggested by forum members. But every now and then, this problem occurs...
Please rev to 3000rpm once a while. Best to run in 3rd gear at 80kmph on a open stretch road for 30seconds or so, and stick to normal diesel. Should keep the issue in check.

Quote:
...There is a hiss sound when taking a full turn to either side. Somebody told me that its power steering pressure sound but I will get it checked....
Not an issue. Not sure why it does, but it is just the way it is.

Quote:
...The music system position is awkward. But I guess I can't help it. I am planning to install a HU with steering mounted remote control. Any help on it?...
Not much help there with the audio units placement. Not sure, but if the steering wheel size of the Manza is the same, you can try that route. Thankfully GX does not have airbags.

Quote:
...Somebody has suggested that if going for long drive over bad roads, its better to remove the spare wheel and keep it in cargo compartment to prevent rear door rattle as the door mounts are not very strong. Is it really required? Removing the spare tyre takes away its charm...
Do not listen to that 'somebody'. Not at all required and the mountings are strong enough. (PS: Have yet to come across 'anybody' with a broken rear wheel holder! )

Quote:
...The vehicle headlight are also not adjusted. High beam is too high. Tried adjusting through the rotary switch given in cockpit but no joy. Will get it rectified during first service...
Use the suggestions given at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...djustment.html
Old 12th December 2010, 19:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

sirji, Congrats!! one info to you. The lever next to your seat is for HANDBRAKE. dont pull it like you are trained to do so in case of emergency, trying to bail out!!! just kidding.

I suggest you keep her in and around 90-120 anything more she will start rolling like a volvo multi-axle upon 6 air bellows.

That hissss is probably due to the hydraulic powersteering. But if your car is properly insulated, I dont think you should hear any of those inside the cabin. check for any faulty or loose rubber fittings in the cabin.

enjoy her!
Old 12th December 2010, 20:05   #25
BHPian

@Happywheels : Thanks for the info. Will try the DIY for headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
sirji, Congrats!! one info to you. The lever next to your seat is for HANDBRAKE. dont pull it like you are trained to do so in case of emergency, trying to bail out!!! just kidding.
Buddy just to add, its the most toughest decision to pull that handle. Its the worst nightmare for the any aircrew. Wish that day doesn't come in anybody's life.
And thanks for the compliments. I am yet to cross 100 kmph mark due run-in period.
Old 12th December 2010, 21:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

@sheelz sir, I just inquired with my uncle who bought a brand new safari VTT few days back. He says, his vehicle too experiences a similar hiss and once he even got that typical screeching sound of tata steering while turning. He got it checked with the TASS and it was the powersteering unit. Some minor loose fitments. So got it right now.

I understand that ejecting out will be the very very last call for any crew. But handbraking and drifting in a four wheeler isnt

Btw, What a coincidence, your real drive(M-2000H) will also be going for a upgrade of interiors and exteriors and so have your updated your personal drive!!! Congrats on both upgrades.
Old 13th December 2010, 09:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHP-ians[*]The black color attracts a lot of dust and it takes lots of effort and time to clean this beast. But no option here. Have to do it.
Agree with you fully. I have a full black EX and little dust immediately shows up on her. I tend to clean her every other day for atleast 15-30mins, but I take it as a good exercise though. :-)
(Earlier in my silver zen I used to clean only once in a week or even 2 weeks)
And maintaining this black shine is really going to be an art, avoiding all the swirls and scratches that can easily be inflicted and seen.

Have to invest in a good microfiber cloth, scratch fixers, water spray gun etc...
Old 13th December 2010, 14:55   #28
BANNED

Wishes Sheelz. The colour combo looks cool

Where can we find the manufacturing date?
Old 13th December 2010, 21:29   #29
BHPian

Congratulations! Wish you peace and long happy ownership.

As for the issues:
1) I do get the hiss sound when steering is turned to MAX. I however thought it is normal, but would be reporting in my 2nd service.
2) Most of my small issues have been taken care by the 1st svc.
3) I have done 3800 kms as of now, and I haven't experienced that 'power loss' yet. Sigh! But will read more in other threads for a better understanding.

Hope by now you have removed those plastic wraps on your seats.

@Verditer: I am using Jopasu Economical Car Duster Set effectively. It helps to an extent.

@sivadeep: send a PM to wildon, he helps to decode your VIN to get the Mfg date.
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:14   #30
BHPian

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV EDIT : 1ST FREE SERVICE AT 1500 KMS

Hi BHPians
Sorry for not updating this thread for sometime. Got little busy.
Anyways here is the latest update.
Took the beast for its first free servive with 1400 kms on odometer. I had noted down some issues that I wanted to resolve:
  • Power loss at 1500-1700 RPM
  • Headlight alignment
  • Wheel alignment
  • Parking brake light on even after release
  • Rear wiper not cleaning properly
  • Odometer set knob hard
Reached Service center at 1000 Hrs in the morning. Thought that I will be the first on a weekday. To my surprise, I was the last person whose vehicle was accepted for the day for the service. And around 50 % were Safaris.
Anyways, the service started with the Service Manager taking the vehicle for test ride to feel the power loss. However, it didn't happen. So he said that it will be repeated by an experienced person.

The issues were sorted out and I was pretty satisfied with the service
  • The power loss thing was checked thoroughly by the mechanic. He connected the EMS Laptop to ECU and we took the vehicle for a drive. No error reported by te system. He said that this is a regular thing in BS IV Safari due to EGR Valve opening.
  • Headlight was aligned
  • Wheel alignment done
  • Parking brake light comes on as the plastic flaps are new. It will go away with time.
  • Rear wiper rectified
  • The whole odometer was changed free of cost. Now my odo reads 32 Kms instead of 1400 kms.
I thinh that wash quality can be improved further. anyways I was in hurry, had to rush back as I had to go for night flying. I was in so much hurry that I forgot my manual in the workshop. I will get it collected tomorrow.
Total bill Rs 400 for injector cleaning additive in diesel( Recommended by TATA).
Posting few pictures..Pardon poor quality as they were taken with cell

Till next time, Safe driving.
Attached Thumbnails
My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-image182.jpg  

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-image183.jpg  

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-image184.jpg  

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-image185.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks