Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2010, 14:51   #1
BHPian

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV

Just Back from a 1000 km drive and so refreshed that I am writing down my experience straight away....

HISTORY
: I own a 1996 white zen which was bought by my brother and used by me for a long time since. Although old, it was performing its duties diligently till this day. Then we( me + wifey) felt the need that we needed a change in life. Then started the hunt for our new ride way back in Jan 2009. Honda City was launched recently that time and we almost bought it. But again, the SUV person in me didn't let that happen. So we started our hunt for SUVs and finally zeroed on to Scorpio VLX MHawk and TATA Safari EX 2.2.(as if there were more choices). Then after some research and thinking, we finally decided to book Scorpio VLX. Almost booked it but the destiny had something else in store. My wife decided to play the spoilsport. So she insisted me to invest the money in a flat(recession at that time has brought the prices to dirt). So again, my dream remained a dream only.

TIME TO RECLAIM MY LIFE : Then somewhere in aug this year, we thought we should get ourselves a new vehicle as my Zen was no more comfortable to drive my wife around( we'are expecting our first baby in jan next year). So again the process started. This time, I bumped into Team-BHP and got hooked. I spent countless hours on net and T-BHP to help me in my decision. The fight between Safari and Scorpio was getting bloodier. Then I test drove both vehicles and found my answer. Also my wife wanted us to go for SAFARI. So the decision was taken by Home Ministry(read wife) and we booked the TATA SAFARI GX 2.2 BS IV. And today its standing tall in my garage.

EXPERIENCE: Right from the start of booking to delivery, the process had been smooth. Thanks to ASPI Cars, Ahmedabad. I reached Ahmedabad by morning flight and I had vehicle in my hand by evening after Teflon coating
and under body anti-rust treatment. Since I had to drive to my place( IN MP) 1000 km away, I had planned to do so in span of two days. So started early in the morning around 6 a.m. after toppping up with 50 litres of ordinary diesel.

DRIVE:
Since I am used to driving Zen, it took me a while to get used to this beast. Throughout the drive, I kept the RPM< 2000 as suggested by the members which gave me s speed of around 90 kmph in 5th gear.
Oh God, the comfort is top class and before I could realize, I had already crossed my night halt point. So I decided to continue and then just fell in love with this vehicle. I just stopped for meals and tea and I made it to my place by 10 in the night. I guess I couldn't have done this in any other vehicle. There was a stretch of road(rather there was no road) of aroung 60 kms full of potholes and my vehicle took lot of beating but SHE held her ground. And I am yet to solve the mystery, on 53 liters of fuel she covered 950 kms. I don't know how. But I guess thats a decent mileage for a new vehicle.

Anyways now I am getting used to the respect on the road and the stares.

Advise from some Safari veterans. Couple of issues that I noticed in the drive
  • There were quite few times that vehicle just lost power for a second or so at 1500-1600 rpm. Is it OK or something wrong?
  • The cabin seems to have higher than normal vibrations. I guess that should go after first service.
  • Anything that you guys can tell me to keep in mind during its initial days.
Thanks Guys, and here posting some pictures of my Jet
Attached Thumbnails
My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-100_4421.jpg  

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-100_4426.jpg  

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-100_4427.jpg  

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-100_4431.jpg  

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-100_4432.jpg  

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-100_4437.jpg  

My very own Jet has landed : TATA SAFARI GX BS IV-100_4438.jpg  

Old 5th December 2010, 16:41   #2
BHPian

congrats sheelz,
looks quite brilliant in this color combo.
and it is quite a change from the puny little zen to this beast of a car
glad to see you are already enjoying its mile munching abilities.

regards the loss of power i have read it in some other ownership threads as well, search the forums for it.
also as you pile on miles the vibrations will ease out to some extent.

wish you a niggle free ownership
Old 5th December 2010, 17:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sheelz on the buy!

Great color combo you have there!

Regarding the issue:

- this loss of power is noticed at 1500~1800rpm; seems to be getting to become a standard "feature" (sic!). Just stick to ordinary diesel and once in a while, rev it to 3000rpm for some time (best to drive in 3rd at 80kmph). Should keep the issue at bay, for the time being. Few members have TATA guys coming down to check this issue in their vehicles; hopefully we have a fix soon. And since your vehicle is new, not sure how much a fuel filter change (supposed to be a solution) might be required. Do check when was your vehicle manufactured.

- At speeds above 100kmph you will have wind noise; blame the design and the insulation on the doors!

Enjoy the drive!

And that is some good mileage you got there; welcome to the club. Not many have got such a return!

EDIT:

Thanks to JSL, realized you asked about vibrations and not wind noise. Yes, at certain RPM's the vibration resonance is high. The damping (if you can call that) on the body is poor; will be more evident when you are going thru certain RPM's.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 5th December 2010 at 17:10.
Old 5th December 2010, 17:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new ride.
The in cabin vibrations you mentioned are probably due to driving at 2k rpm in higher gears.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 5th December 2010, 17:17   #5
BANNED

Welcome to the ever growing Safari Clan on T-BHP.

Wish you a niggle free ride and a wonderful long term ownership.

About the loss of power....! what i got from one of my friend is get the ECM Resetting done.

About the vibrations, It will stay for the first few kms and later settle down.
Old 5th December 2010, 18:15   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys for the wishes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

About the loss of power....! what i got from one of my friend is get the ECM Resetting done.
Just wanted to know whats it about? Anything to do with ECU?

@Happywheels : My vehicle date of manufacture is 20 Nov 2010. I guess the fuel filter mod should have been incorporated.

The Jet has already logged 1100 kms in two days. Due for 1st free service. I will probably keep it more for a week or so before I give it for service to see if there are any other issues.
Old 5th December 2010, 18:26   #7
BHPian

Sheelz, Awesome color and good luck on your beast. Looks stunning man !
Btw, your drive of 950 KMs is superb I am just waiting for something like this to happen for me. Having a new born is challenge though

Safe motoring and keep updating this thread.

Prem.
Old 5th December 2010, 21:53   #8
BHPian

A very nice SUV to own. Congratulations for this and Keep posting nice pics and try to maintain it neat always.

Am a big lover of Safari. Keep enjoying and let me enjoy your review always.
Old 5th December 2010, 22:20   #9
BHPian

Hi Sheelz,
Congrats on your ride. Every time, a Safari passes by, I admire the sheen beauty of the beast. And regarding the color, I'm just drooling over your pics. Blue dials looks classy and are they have white back-lit, isn't? It's such a great car on the highways out there and demands for some respect. Till date, Safari remains as India's indigenous SUV. Take care of her and wishing you many more happy miles with the beasty.
BTW, more exterior pics
Old 5th December 2010, 22:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sheelz on your purchase, wishing you many happy miles on the Safari, like others have said before the niggles you mentioned are part of the package, no amount of negotiations during purchase will rid you of these .
Just enjoy the vehicle to the fullest.
Old 6th December 2010, 09:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
... Just wanted to know whats it about? Anything to do with ECU?...
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
... My vehicle date of manufacture is 20 Nov 2010. I guess the fuel filter mod should have been incorporated...
Yes, it should be. And, I reckon, even the new ECU firmware should be there. No harm in asking the service center to check for the version and update if necessary, when doing the first service.
Old 6th December 2010, 20:10   #12
BHPian

Hi Guys
Thanks again for the wishes.
OK Day 3 of owning the Jet....
Getting used to compliments about its sheer beauty and class.
Certain more things noticed today
  • The power loss at 1500-1700 still being noticed. More so in third gear
  • The right turn indicator won't go after the turn.
I will try and get these things sorted out in first service. I will keep it for a couple of hundred kms more before I give it for service.

Now planning to go for an ICE upgrade. This is first thing on my mind after first service.
I will post some more pictures soon.
Till then, Happy and safe driving.
Old 7th December 2010, 09:53   #13
BHPian

Hi Sheelz - Congratulations and welcome to the club(I'm a newbie too, got my Safari only couple of weeks ago).

The issues you've stated are experienced by me too, especially the power loss/jerk issue. Do you hear a kitch-kitch-kitch noise in front when this happens? I get that noise and the power loss/jerk together, more when the engine is warming up.

My first service was done yesterday, but this issue hasn't been rectified, dont think they have a clue either. Dadu had advised changing fuel filter to a newer batch piece, but yours is a Nov model and you have the issue too, so wondering if I should go for a fuel filter change. Mine is a Sept 2010 manufactured one. ECU remapping could be another option to try.

Anyway, it is not a major issue and surfaces occasionally, and not there at all when engine is really hot, so while we try to find a solution, enjoy the car fully - it is a joy to own and a pleasure to drive.

Once again, congratulations.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats !

As long as you are in right gear/ rpm and you stick to a decent speed, you will get nice FE.

Once you learn revving after 2k,expect lesser mileage

And 1500-1600? isnt this where turbo kicks in?

Welcome to the clan.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for owning Safari and it is heck of car and awesome to drive on any road of India.

The power loss problem is now getting reported more frequently as many of the new owners are chipping in. This is frustrating during morning hours for me when engine is cold. There are many solutions has been suggested by fellow TeamBHPians but I think it needs thorough diagnosis.

As per now solutions are

1. Rev engine upto 4000 RPM in stand still car for few seconds
2. Check vacuum hoses of potential loss of pressures.
3. Replace fuel filter of new batch (No body tried this)
4. Reset ECU. (Rahulk76 done this and problem reduced but not vanished)

As of now nothing is concrete solution.

I am the first person who experienced this problem and I reported it in my thread and technical issue thread. There are many owners are now feeling same.

Last edited by anujmishra : 7th December 2010 at 10:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks