Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2010, 11:40   #16
BHPian

Re: i20 CRDI Sportz - 1111 Km Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
We didn't have any suspension noise. Check them out.
Yes, ACC is a boon
FE of 18kmpl is amazing dude. But still, a tank-to-tank method will give you the exact FE.
How do you rate the stock headlamps on low beam? Main beams are good but, low beams are really irritating!
Yes. I forgot to mention about them. Not satisfied with the stock headlamps. Also the focus is uneven, it strays more towards left. I have to set it right during my first servicing. Thanks for making it a point.
Any suggestions for the headlamps?
Old 24th December 2010, 14:38   #17
BHPian

Re: i20 CRDI Sportz - 700 Km Report

Just a quick update. Have crossed the 1500 mark. As per the latest FE calculations (tank to tank) I got 17.45 kmpl, which I thought was good. First
servicing is due, going to take it to the service station tomorrow.

First Service Checklist -
1. Oil/filter change - have got Mobile Delvac 15W-40
2. Change in stock headlamps - have got Phillips rally 100/90.
3. A check for the keech-keech sound which I talked about in my earlier posts.
4. Auto-lock at 40 km/hr setting.

The rheostat illumination controller is out of stock. Will get it done later.

Couple of questions- will the 100/90 Phillips Rally headlamps require a wiring change? will it void the warranty?

Rest is just fine. Enjoying every minute of my drive

P.S. - Mods, request you to please change the tittle of this thread to "i20 CRDI Sportz - Now a 1500 KM older baby beast"
Old 28th December 2010, 20:11   #18
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 2450 Km Report

First Service Update
I took my car for the first free servicing at 1950 km at Dhoot Motors, Aurangabad, from where I bought my car. As I mentioned in the last post, I had decided to change the oil/oil filter, check up the keech-keech noise, change the stock headlamps and enable the auto-lock feature. Out of these, I could only rectify the keech-keech noise :(

Oil/Oil filter change -
The SA refused to use any oil other than Hyundai recommended oil available at the service station. I had taken Mobile Delvac 15W-40 with me, but he refused to use it. He insisted that I should stick to the service manual, and there was absolutely no need to change the oil before the recommended 10K interval. I tried convincing, but all in vain.

Auto-lock feature -
The G-Scan was not available. I was told that it was sent to Mumbai for an upgrade, for new Hyundai models. Spoke to the Head of the Service Department, got the same answer. Couldn't help but to agree even on this point.

Replace the stock headlamps -
Again, the SA was against it. He said it would require a wiring change as well, and will void the headlamp warranty. He strongly recommended not to change the headlamps, as long as the car was under warranty. Result - Din't change the headlamps, and decided to continue with the same 60/55 stock headlamps.

Keech-Keech sound -
Thank God!!! At least one item on my check list was worked upon successfully. No more keech-keech sound. The mechanics rectified it.

And because of the above reasons, the total service cost came to ZERO. Another point that got some smile on my face.

After the first servicing, I have driven around 500kms so far. I did not find much difference in the driving (as smooth as earlier, but din't get any better after the servicing), apart from the reduction of keech-keech sound of course.

As per my last FE calculations (tank-to-tank) I got 16.8 Kmpl (city+highway). This time, most of the driving was done late night. And as per my experience so far, I have always struggled to get a good mileage driving at night, especially on highways.

I need a suggestion
Do I still go ahead and change the oil? If yes, where? Hyundai Service Centers would not allow to get the oil from outside, which I have already got it.
Old 9th November 2011, 11:40   #19
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 14500+ Km Report

Its been quite a while since my last update. The car has clocked 14500+ kms till now. This month end the car will complete one year. So far my experience with this car has been exhilarating. I have taken her to expressways, highways, few hundred kms on country roads and mumbai city bumber to bumper traffic roads. I am loving every bit of driving the car no matter where I am driving it. I met few small accidents, where the car had got a dent in the rear left door and the rear bumper was damaged. For this I had no option to let go my no claim bonus, but got my car fixed. I have got couple of accessories as well, the rheostat illumination controller and the glove box lamp. My observations so far -

Driving Experience:
1. On city roads, the steering is real pleasure. On highways, initially I would feel little scary on curves at high speeds. But now that I am used to it, I am pretty much comfortable with it now. No hassles at all. Off late, I am experiencing a little pull on the left. Will get it fixed during the 3rd servicing.
2. The sixth gear, (which now I suppose has been removed in the latest versions) is a boon on highways. I think it would be definitely helping in getting good mileage. On the top gear, the car touches 100 km/hr mark at just 2K RPM. At 3K RPM, it touches 150 km/hr mark, and all this with complete ease, without pushing her hard.
But the other side to this is it requires frequent gear changes in the city traffic. Being a driving enthusiastic, I wouldn't mind this. But my mother definitely wouldn't be comfortable with this. A petrol car or may be a automatic transmission would be a perfect fit for her.
Mileage:
3. I think it majorly depends on the driving style. I have tried driving this car at different speeds and in different styles, this is my observation:
a. If I keep it below the 2K mark (which calls me to drive it below the 100 km mark always) I get a very healthy mileage of around 20-21 km/ltr on highways. This is with 70% AC On.
b. If I rev her hard, and always keep her in the sweet turbo zone of 1800-3K mark (which enables me to take her upto 150 km/hr), I get a mileage of 17-18 km/ltr (with 100% AC ON)
c. City driving, which is mumbai bumber to bumper traffic, gives me 13-14 kms/ltr (100% AC ON)
Comfort/Interiors/ICE:
4.The car is really spacious. Five people with average built will comfortably fit into it. The interiors are really luxurious, and definitely compete with many of the sedans. ICE is the best in class. Suspensions are not among the points on which Hyundai can advertise this car, but the car doesn't give any place to complain on normal roads.

The third servicing is due this month end. Also the insurance is due for renewal. Keep you posted about my experience.
Old 9th November 2011, 13:09   #20
BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES

Mods, request you to change the heading of the thread to " Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 14500+ Km Report".
Thank you.
Old 9th November 2011, 13:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateDrive View Post
I have got couple of accessories as well, the rheostat illumination controller and the glove box lamp.

The third servicing is due this month end.
What was the cost for these accessories and do you have the part number?

What was the total cost of the second service? I have seen in a thread that the labour charges are increased. Can you please provide the cost break-up so that I can compare it with my second service bill which is due in December. Did you get the tyre aligned during the second service (which is done on owner's request)?
Old 9th November 2011, 14:05   #22
BHPian

A glimpse of the car photo shoot on the way from Aurangabad to Mumbai....
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-dscf1280.jpg  

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-dscf1281.jpg  

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-dscf1283.jpg  

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-dscf1287.jpg  

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-dscf1289.jpg  

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-dscf1293.jpg  

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-dscf1294.jpg  

Old 9th November 2011, 16:46   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, that blue illumination looks HOT ! Could you upload couple of more night shots with the interior lights ON??

And you are getting impressive FE for a new car - Enjoy it.

Quote:
...Result - Din't change the headlamps, and decided to continue with the same 60/55 stock headlamps.
You might want to check some other dealerships. Off late there are couple of dealers who are willing to upgrade the headlights to 100/90 with wires, holders etc upgraded to handle the extra power & heat. If you get it done from the dealership itself, then your warranty should remain in-tact, but the cost will be more than when you get it done outside.

Again, if you are ready to spend quite a bit more, please upgrade your bulbs to Osram night breaker / night breaker plus or Philips Extreme vision (?) or so. These bulbs have the stock wattage [55W/60] and output equivalent to 100W bulbs. The upside is NO change in wiring since it's wattage is the same as stick bulb, downside is these bulbs are expensive at almost a 1000/- per pair.

Quote:
Do I still go ahead and change the oil? If yes, where? Hyundai Service Centers would not allow to get the oil from outside, which I have already got it.
If you want an oil change, put your foot down and ask the SE to change it. Tell him that you are ready to bear the costs and ask him NOT to bother about anything else. Regarding the oil brand change, not sure how many dealers entertain that.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th November 2011 at 16:48.
Old 9th November 2011, 23:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
What was the cost for these accessories and do you have the part number?

What was the total cost of the second service? I have seen in a thread that the labour charges are increased. Can you please provide the cost break-up so that I can compare it with my second service bill which is due in December. Did you get the tyre aligned during the second service (which is done on owner's request)?
Rheostat Illumination Controller - 94950-1J0009P - Rs. 550 approx
Glove Box Lamp - 92630-1J000 - Rs. 110 approx.
The second servicing was done in the month of May. Bill details are:
Engine Oil - Rs. 1120
Service Kit Oil Filter - Rs. 349
Servicing Charges - NIL (Free servicing)
VAT - Rs. 183
Total - Rs. 1652

Yes I had got the wheel alignment done. I did it again a month back because I was experiencing a little pull towards left. But that din't solve the problem. I will get it fixed during the third servicing, due this month end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Hey, that blue illumination looks HOT ! Could you upload couple of more night shots with the interior lights ON??

And you are getting impressive FE for a new car - Enjoy it.

You might want to check some other dealerships. Off late there are couple of dealers who are willing to upgrade the headlights to 100/90 with wires, holders etc upgraded to handle the extra power & heat. If you get it done from the dealership itself, then your warranty should remain in-tact, but the cost will be more than when you get it done outside.

Again, if you are ready to spend quite a bit more, please upgrade your bulbs to Osram night breaker / night breaker plus or Philips Extreme vision (?) or so. These bulbs have the stock wattage [55W/60] and output equivalent to 100W bulbs. The upside is NO change in wiring since it's wattage is the same as stick bulb, downside is these bulbs are expensive at almost a 1000/- per pair.

If you want an oil change, put your foot down and ask the SE to change it. Tell him that you are ready to bear the costs and ask him NOT to bother about anything else. Regarding the oil brand change, not sure how many dealers entertain that.
Thanks . I think I will go for the Osram ones. I do a lot of night driving, and it really gets difficult, especially on the single lane roads. I have found a good workshop nearby, and have a good rapport with the manager as well. May be he could help me this time.
Oil change was a problem only during the first servicing I guess. From second servicing on wards the oil change is mandatory. Anyways, I take your advice for my future cars . This one is on your request....
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-dscf0233cropped.jpg  

PassionateDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 11:07   #25
BHPian

Re: The Insurance Claim Story

Forgot to include the details of the insurance claim made last month. In the course of several small accidents (first was when i hit a stationary TATA Sumo, and other two were when someone else hit me when i was stationary, that's KARMA like '69' - you get what you do to others ), my car's left rear door had got a dent and the rear bumper was damaged from both the sides. There is a little story behind getting the claim from the insurance company, which I think might be useful for many of us.
My car is registered from Aurangabad (MH), and so is my current insurance policy, which is from Oriental insurance Aurangabad. But since I stay in Mumbai, I started calling up various Hyundai workshops in Mumbai to get an estimate. But to my surprise, none of the Hyundai workshops have a tie-up with the Oriental insurance, and no one was ready to give a cashless service. When enquired in oriental insurance office, even they denied to give a cashless facility in Mumbai. The estimate given by the Sharayu Hyundai, which is very near to my place, was around 20K. Also, they said I would have to shell out around 3-4K from my pocket. They were not even ready to do the paper work for me.
I was little skeptic of paying the complete amount myself first and then doing the rounds of Oriental Insurance company to get the money back. Also my insurance is due for renewal this month, which again would require 16-17K.

Then I called up my dealer in Aurangabad, where they had a cashless facility for Oriental. The estimate given by them was also less (around 12K, since he said the workshop charges were less. Need to know why charges are more in Mumbai ). Coincidentally, at the same time we planned a trip to Aurangabad on the eve of Dussehra.
So finally I took the car to Aurangabad at Dhoot Hyundai. It took a week's time, but then I got all the damages fixed. I also asked them to put the accessories (rheostat, glove box lamp and the tints). They said it will be done along with the damages.
Next week, due to some work pressure, I couldn't go to aurangabad on Saturday. But then, the manager agreed to come on Sunday to deliver the car. He also asked one of the mechanics to come in case there were any concerns. But the mechanic wasn't needed much, except to wash the car one more time. The detailed bill summary is given below:

Cover Assy-RR Bumber - 1522.86
Labor Assessed for Accidental Jobs - 2105
Colouring charges assessed for accident job - 5500
VAT (on bumper) - 190.36
Service Tax on workshop charges - 760.5
Total - 10102 (including cess tax of 3% on service tax)

I had to pay 1700 from my pocket for the damages, for which i got a receipt.

There were few hassles in coordinating between Dhoot Hyundai's accidental department and the workshop department to get the damage fixed and accessories fitted. Being a customer I am not suppose to do this coordination, but then I wanted the car to be ready within a week's time at any cost. I also had to do some 'chillam chilli' at the workshop and the accidental department's manager. But then I had to get the car on time at any cost. I thought they compensated for this by coming on Sunday to deliver my car. All is well that ends well.

Lesson learnt: It is very important to know your insurance policy completely, which many of us tend to ignore when buying the car. This year I will make sure to renew the insurance from a insurer who provides a good service across India, or at least in metros. All the hassles, and more importantly, that week without my car with me, would not have happened had there been a cashless facility available in Mumbai with Oriental Insurance Company.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:01   #26
BHPian

Third Servicing Update @ 15400Kms

Just gave my car to the 3rd and the final free servicing at Shreenath Hyundai Workshop.....
Problems reported:
1. THE i20's patented BUG - STEERING RATTLE - has finally bit me. It is not loud though, but neither gentle to be ignored.
2. The wiper in the intermittent mode is getting stuck. All other modes are working perfectly fine.

Apart from these two problems, its a regular 3rd servicing. Estimated cost is ~1900.

Will post the updates soon.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES

Quote:
1. THE i20's patented BUG - STEERING RATTLE - has finally bit me. It
So did they do anything about the rattle?? I wish I could check out someone's i20 with the steering rattle because i am hearing a similar clattering noise(not exactly a rattle) and I am getting worried. My car is just 7 months old.

Last edited by Pancham : 6th December 2011 at 11:54.
Old 6th December 2011, 14:18   #28
BHPian

The SA was aware of the issue. This is a very common problem. The SA said he will put a bush and reduce the play (not exactly sure about the technical stuff). In my case i use to get a rattling noise (or clattering noise) front the front suspensions while going through rough roads. Also, the SA brought to my notice one noise while rotating the steering, which i wasn't aware. Lets see how they are going to address this. Will update on this once i get the car back from servicing.
Old 6th December 2011, 16:08   #29
BHPian

Re: Third Servicing Update @ 15400Kms

Quote:
Just gave my car to the 3rd and the final free servicing at Shreenath Hyundai Workshop.....
Problems reported:
1. THE i20's patented BUG - STEERING RATTLE - has finally bit me. It is not loud though, but neither gentle to be ignored.
2. The wiper in the intermittent mode is getting stuck. All other modes are working perfectly fine.

Apart from these two problems, its a regular 3rd servicing. Estimated cost is ~1900.

Will post the updates soon.
I got the rattle at around 15K. Now its 24K and it hasn't come back .... yet. Lets see how much farther it holds up. The service engineer I spoke said something about "doing at the correct torque", whatever it meant, but the good thing is, its rattle-free now.
Old 6th December 2011, 16:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The SA was aware of the issue. This is a very common problem. The SA said he will put a bush and reduce the play (not exactly sure about the technical stuff). In my case i use to get a rattling noise (or clattering noise) front the front suspensions while going through rough roads. Also, the SA brought to my notice one noise while rotating the steering, which i wasn't aware. Lets see how they are going to address this. Will update on this once i get the car back from servicing.
In my case the sound comes out from the steering wheel while going over rough roads. My car has run only 3500 Kms. You are lucky that at least your SA is accepting the problem. in my case he kept on repeating that this problem persisited in older models.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks