Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 21:06   #31
BHPian

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 3rd Servicing Update @ 15400 kms

Got the car back from servicing. Had got a call from the engineer at 5.30 p.m. that the car was ready. He told me the bill amount of Rs. 1642 and said the service center will be open till 7 p.m.

Went to the workshop at 6.45 p.m. The car was ready. The car was washed properly. Interiors were cleaned and polished. The service engineer who had attended my car came and explained me the bill amount. Here are the details:

1. Engine Oil - 5lts - Rs. 1111.1
2. Oil Filter - Rs. 348.82
3. Labor and Servicing - Rs. 0
a. Damper setting
b. Hand brake setting
c. Doors hinges lubrication
d. Air filter clean
e. Hi - Scan check up
f. Free Servicing (3rd)

Problems which I had reported:
1. Steering rattle -
The service engineer explained me why the rattling issue appears. As per his explanation and my limited understanding, the steering rod which connects to the rack and pinion assembly develops some play. This is rectified by putting a bush in between. The play can be further reduced by tightening something (don't remember what exactly he told me), but then the steering will become heavy.
In short, the problem has got rectified. According to him it will never reappear. Hoping for the best.

2. Wiper getting stuck - Rectified. The issue was with the rubber bush. He cleaned it and the problem got solved.

Also enabled the auto-locking at 40 km/hr. Working perfectly fine.

Overall the experience was very good.

Planning to gift her new seat covers. Got quotations from couple of places. Will update the further developments shortly. Till then......

Drive Safe

P.S. Moderators, request you to kindly change the title of the thread to 'Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 3rd Servicing Update @ 15400 kms'

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th December 2011 at 14:47. Reason: Extra smiley removed. Please refer Team BHP rules. Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 19:53   #32
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 17200 Km Report

Since last couple of weeks, I am virtually 'living in my car'. I have clocked more than 1500 kms so far during this period, and still counting. The week is yet to end. But haven't got even a bit tired while driving this car. The driving is getting even more exciting with every mm I am driving it, and as we are getting to know each other well

Few observations:

1. This car has enormous space:
Last to last week i had been to Sinhagad with my friends. We were 5 of us with average built. Each one of us had our own luggage for 2 days (i.e.5-6 medium to large size sacks). Plus we were carrying a full size carom board with us. Also, the cricket bats and the stumps. Apart from the living beings, who were comfortably enjoying in the cabin all through the journey, all the luggage fitted in the boot space.

2. Not excellent, but GOOD FE -
I have been consistently getting FE of 17-18. This is with mixed of Mumbai (30%) and highway(70%) driving. As per the latest calculations, i got ~18.27 kms/ltr FE.

3. This car has a turbo lag -
In one of my earlier post, I had said that turbo lag was not that evident. But I was wrong.
There is a turbo lag.

4. The steering rattle hasn't surfaced again.

5. The car is not at all insulated from the road/tire noise - Only way to get rid of it is put the ICE on high volume

6. There is a loud thud when passing over a pothole at high speeds - This is very annoying

7. Small vibrations are now surfacing - But they are noticeable only if we give minute attention to them.

8. White Color is very hard to maintain - but the car looks stunning in this color

Recently I got the stock headlamps upgraded to 90/100. Needed a relay kit. Total cost was Rs. 1100/-. This did not need any wiring cut. The relay kit was just plug and play.

I had one concern. I have completed 3 services so far, and the fuel filter hasn't got changed once. When i asked the SA during my 3rd servicing, he said it is not needed and the fuel filter change is at 20000 kms.
At 17000 odd kms, do i need to change the fuel filter?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-imag0301.jpg  

PassionateDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 13:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateDrive;2621386
[B
I had one concern. I have completed 3 services so far, and the fuel filter hasn't got changed once. When i asked the SA during my 3rd servicing, he said it is not needed and the fuel filter change is at 20000 kms.[/b]
At 17000 odd kms, do i need to change the fuel filter?
When the service manual clearly specified the filter change at 20k kms, then why are you worried about it at 17k kms?

Are you experiencing some problems, such as jerking/sudden stalling of the engine. The manufacturer recommendations on changing filters/fluids/belts are usually erring on the side of caution, and can easily do a little more, although its not advisable. But surely there is no need to change your parts even earlier than the recommended timeframe, unless you are experiencing some trouble.

All the best.
Lalvaz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 09:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
When the service manual clearly specified the filter change at 20k kms, then why are you worried about it at 17k kms?

Are you experiencing some problems, such as jerking/sudden stalling of the engine. The manufacturer recommendations on changing filters/fluids/belts are usually erring on the side of caution, and can easily do a little more, although its not advisable. But surely there is no need to change your parts even earlier than the recommended timeframe, unless you are experiencing some trouble.

All the best.
I am not experiencing any problem. But reading other i20 CRDI owners' post got to my notice that workshops at other places are changing the fuel filter as well during the 3rd servicing, even though the odometer is short of 20K mark.
Also, the even though I did a servicing at ~15700 km, the next servicing was recommended at 20K immediately. So, I thought if they had changed the fuel filter at 3rd servicing, it would have helped to prolong the next servicing further.
Old 30th December 2011, 12:52   #35
BHPian

New Seat Covers

I was doing a research on seat covers since many days. I checked with many stores in Mumbai, especially at Milan Subway and Opera House area. Also checked at the Hyundai dealer. I used to even peek in most of the cars while walking on the road. But before that i used to ensure I am not being checked by any cop while peeping into someone else's car.

The first thing I liked was the Leather Covers!! Who wouldn't like it anyways. But that was also the first thing i had to remove from my list. They were costing more than 20K, way out of my budget !!!

Then after a lot of research, I found custom made skin fit seat covers very good. They looked good and neat. They fit the exact shape of the bucket seats.

In this segment also, there are lot of fabrics one can choose. Thick cotton fabric and something called as 'Synthetic Leather' i.e. PU or PUC was in my option list. I chose the Synthetic Leather.

Choosing the color was a difficult task. Off-white color was in top of my list. But thought maintaining them would have been a task. Looking after my white colored car only takes much of my time. So decided not to go for this color.

I chose a mix of Cocoa and dark brown color. It goes very well with the interiors of i20. And moreover they are easy to maintain.

The total cost was Rs. 3600/-, including fitting charges. I got this deal at Opera House.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-imag0318.jpg  

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-imag0321.jpg  

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-imag0328.jpg  

Old 7th January 2012, 12:53   #36
BHPian

Re: Met with a small accident!!!

The new year weekend was quite a hectic one. I had planned a Goa trip with my friends. Was suppose to start on 29th Dec (Thursday) evening for a 3 days trip.
But Life is always what happens to you while you're busy making other plans....
Due to some family reasons, I had to cancel my Goa trip. In stead, I did Mumbai->Aurangabad->Rajpipla (Guj)->Aurangabad->Mumbai trip, a total of 1600 Kms in the span of three days.

Accident!!!

While going from Pune to Aurangabad, at the Sanaswadi cross road, I was squeezed from left side by a private bus. I couldn't move to the right because a two wheeler was waiting to cross the road. Couldn't do much at that moment. I was very lucky since the damage was limited only to the left side mirror and no one was injured. Also, the indicator, electronic folding and electronic mirror adjustment was working fine. Only the mirror glass and the body colored fiber was broken. Refer to the pics below.

That night, i drove to Aurangabad without the left side mirror.

Next day I went to Dhoot Hyundai Aurangabad. When inquired, the complete mirror assembly was costing me Rs. 4700/- + painting charges. Also, it would have taken a day or two to fix it completely. I have zero dep insurance cover, but I had no time since I had to start for Gujrat in couple of hours.

Finally I got only the mirror glass fixed for Rs 435/-. But the body color fiber is not available separately and is available only with the complete assembly.
I now plan to look for this part else where, and hope i get this without replacing the complete assembly.

The rest of the journey was quite safe and comfortable.
I got a mileage of ~17.5. for the complete journey. Considering that half the journey (800 kms) was on single lane roads, and some 200 odd kms road was very bad ( I drove in 2nd gear for almost 200 kms), the mileage is good.

Wish you all a very happy and prosperous new year ! Drive Safe
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-imag0332.jpg  

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-imag0333.jpg  

Old 7th January 2012, 16:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateDrive View Post
Accident!!!

While going from Pune to Aurangabad, at the Sanaswadi cross road, I was squeezed from left side by a private bus. I couldn't move to the right because a two wheeler was waiting to cross the road. Couldn't do much at that moment. I was very lucky since the damage was limited only to the left side mirror and no one was injured. Also, the indicator, electronic folding and electronic mirror adjustment was working fine. Only the mirror glass and the body colored fiber was broken. Refer to the pics below.
You mean the ORVM was functioning but just because of that broken body coloured fibre the whole assembly had to be changed????

Last edited by Pancham : 7th January 2012 at 17:03.
Old 7th January 2012, 20:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
You mean the ORVM was functioning but just because of that broken body coloured fibre the whole assembly had to be changed????
Yes!!! We do not get just body colored fiber. We need to replace the complete assembly, which costs Rs. 4700/- + coloring charges.
Old 7th January 2012, 21:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes!!! We do not get just body colored fiber. We need to replace the complete assembly, which costs Rs. 4700/- + coloring charges.
That is ridiculously stupid. No words man. GOD save my ORVMs. I love them as they are so useful.
Old 7th January 2012, 22:10   #40
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
That is ridiculously stupid. No words man. GOD save my ORVMs. I love them as they are so useful.
Its the same across all manufacturers. I remember having a similar problem on the swift around 2 years back and the SA told me that i have no option but to replace the entire ORVM.

Its stupid , but , that's how they make money
Old 8th January 2012, 22:58   #41
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Its the same across all manufacturers. I remember having a similar problem on the swift around 2 years back and the SA told me that i have no option but to replace the entire ORVM.

Its stupid , but , that's how they make money

Rather I am thinking to remove right side fibre as well, at least till the time i get time to claim it under insurance. Just to maintain symmetry
Old 14th January 2012, 23:42   #42
BHPian

Ridiculous..!!! Thats so expensive..!!

I was also charged well for my small hub caps which got stolen.. You can read my thread to see the pics i put up.
Old 8th April 2013, 07:42   #43
BHPian

My beast has completed 46k kms.

Recently it has developed a unique problem. The engine turns-off on its own when it is idling, and the car is on the move.

The problem does not occur when the engine is idling and the car is stationary. Also the problem does not occur when the engine is engaged.

The problem is not consistent, but it appears very frequent. I can see the RPM meter dying, it moves up and down few times before it gradually comes to ZERO.

I showed this problem to the SA, he said the car will have to be left at the service station for a thorough examination. Plan to do it in this week.

Meanwhile, does anyone have experienced similar problem?
Old 20th May 2013, 17:28   #44
BHPian

Problem fixed....pheewwwww!!!

Please refer my post above to learn about the problem.

The problem was very unique. I showed it to the SA at Shreenath Hyundai a couple of times, but he couldn't figure out the root cause.

Once, as an experiment, the SA tried changing the clutch oil. But this did not resolve the problem.

At last, the problem was referred to one of the electronics engineer at Shreenath Hyundai. And before I finished explaining him the problem, he was ready with the solution. The CLUTCH SWITCH was at fault.

The function of the clutch switch is to signal the ECM the position of the clutch and keep the engine running accordingly. In my case, since the clutch switch wasn't operational, appropriate signals were not going to ECM to keep the engine running when the clutch the was pressed and engine was engaged in the gear. And hence, the engine use to switch off itself.

The clutch switch is replaced and the problem is resolved now.

Below attached is the snapshot of the clutch switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-imag0604.jpg  

Last edited by PassionateDrive : 20th May 2013 at 17:30. Reason: grammatical correction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks