Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 22:19   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES

Hello T-BHPians,

This is my first ever post on this forum, and I have got with me the initial ownership report of my recent purchase i20 CRDI Sportz (BSIV).
It had been more 10 years since I was driving M800, and off late I always had in mind that whenever I have to buy our second car, it would be a diesel one. Swift Diesel had really impressed me when I had taken a test drive of my uncle’s car two years ago. That small drive had changed all my perceptions of a traditional diesel car.

Two months ago, another uncle of mine was booking a car. We had gone to test drive i10. After test driving i10, the dealer insisted me to test drive i20. I agreed but asked for the diesel one. Even he agreed to it and that’s how I got a chance to get behind the wheel of i20 CRDI. Few moments later he got a i20 CRDI Asta (BSIV) for the TD. When I got into the car, I was surprised to see that the demo car had done 20000 Kms!!! With this figure in my mind, I started the car, engaged the first gear and set it in the motion. When I was already started linking initial smoothness and the excellent quality of the interiors of the car, few moments later, the turbo kicked in at around 2000 rpm. I was again taken back. But this time, the ‘taken back’ was in a literal sense. This car pulled like a beast. That moment I said, “Dear M800, even though I love you from the bottom of my heart, everyone has to go one day, and so is the time for you ”. Rest is history and I got my i20 CRDI Sportz on 30th Nov 2010.

Before booking the car, I had done my research. I had read about and taken test drives of almost all the cars in this segment. Team BHP was one of the primary source of information. Thank you Team – BHP. The car which came somewhere near to the i20 CRDI was the FIAT Punto Multijet 90 Bhp. In fact I was in a state of confusion for sometime between these two cars, but the confusion was cleared by the FIAT dealer himself. When I asked him about the points where the FIAT Punto scores over i20, his reply was, “Sir, i20 to hai hi badiya car, aaj to number 1 pe hai, no doubt. Par punto bhi acchi gadi hai”. Hearing this I thought I should go the Hyundai showroom right then, during the Punto test drive itself and book i20 . I booked my i20 on the next day.

I bought the i20 from Dhoot Hyundai Aurangabad. Even though I stay in Mumbai these days, I preferred to buy it from my native place because of the less waiting period and other reasons. The waiting time was about a month. The dealer service was prompt and professional. The dealer had kept me informed from time to time about the progress of the delivery. That helped me to complete my vehicle loan processing in time. On the day of the delivery, the manager helped us to complete all the necessary formalities. He assisted me in doing the pre-delivery check-up and answered all the queries to my satisfaction. He guided me excellently to do the Pooja. He also helped to expedite the process of registration, as I had planned to get my vehicle to Mumbai on the same day. A photo was clicked at the time when the keys were handed over, and the printout of that was handed over immediately. Although the vehicle passing was done the same day, but I couldn’t get the registration number. So had to drop my plans to take my car to Mumbai that day, and had to postpone it till the weekend. Overall, we got an excellent service.

Coming back to i20 CRDI, this car is really an awesome piece of engineering. I will not dwell into the positives and negatives of the car in detail, because they have been already discussed extensively at this forum, and the discussions are very much in-line with my own experience. To summarize –

Positives
1. Great Power for a hatch back car
2. Best Interiors in this segment
3. Good exterior styling (Subjective)
4. Excellent space
Negatives
1. It gets nervous at high speeds, doesn’t handle corners well
2. The big whole it creates to the pocket, a whooping 7.4 lacs for a hatchback.

Till date, I have clocked 700 kms, mixed of high way and city driving. Had a long stretch of high way driving of 380 kms from Aurangabad to Mumbai. Awesome experience when we drive it in the 100-120 km/hr range. But as we go higher, it gets really nervous. As I said, handling corners is a task at high speeds.

Also driven it in the peak hour traffic of Mumbai. Excellent city driving.
As per my first calculations, I got a mileage (mixed of city, highway and a/c on at 80% of time) of 14 kmpl . But I am sure it will get better after the first servicing.

I will post the pics soon.
Old 10th December 2010, 23:02   #2
BHPian

Re: i20 CRDI Sportz - 700 Km Report

Congrats on your buy! Welcome to T-Bhp.

i20 is definitely a good car. Within the city or even on the highway you can have a lot of fun with that torque.

Where are the pics ? Not posting pics is a crime
Old 11th December 2010, 07:43   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your new Possession!
i20 CRDI is defiantly a sophisticated rocket(Pocket rocket - getz CRDI), it was Hyundai's bold decision to market a hatchback at such a high price bracket and still its selling like hot cakes.
Considering the Mumbai bumper to bumper traffic, your fuel consumption is exception and I am sure it would increase after the first service.
Guess, you haven't mentioned your car color
Please post pics soon (both interior as well as exterior)
Old 11th December 2010, 14:51   #4
BHPian

Hi PassionateDrive,
Congrats on your new buy. i20 CRDI is indeed a hot hatch. One of the best looking hatch (next to Punto though) as of now. As you said the interiors can even put some sedans to shame. Those chessy-blue-looking at nights are to die for!
And believe me, the torque may make you go mad at times You might never come asking for a petrol again! Jokes apart. How is the city driving and is the turbo-lag more significant or manageable? How do you rate the AC against other cars?
IMHO, the only downside is the scary steering With a whole lotta power, i20 (at least, this CRDI) deserves a much better steering wheel.
Pictures are must and do keep us posted.
Drive safe.
Old 11th December 2010, 15:32   #5
BHPian

Congrats buddy on the I20. Welcome to TBHP.
Please post some pics
Old 12th December 2010, 00:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Congrats on your buy! Welcome to T-Bhp.

i20 is definitely a good car. Within the city or even on the highway you can have a lot of fun with that torque.

Where are the pics ? Not posting pics is a crime
Thanks Vibhanshu. Please find the pics below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Congrats on your new Possession!
i20 CRDI is defiantly a sophisticated rocket(Pocket rocket - getz CRDI), it was Hyundai's bold decision to market a hatchback at such a high price bracket and still its selling like hot cakes.
Considering the Mumbai bumper to bumper traffic, your fuel consumption is exception and I am sure it would increase after the first service.
Guess, you haven't mentioned your car color
Please post pics soon (both interior as well as exterior)
Thanks Camchennai. The mileage I thought I could have got little better, considering the major chunk of my initial run was on the highway. But yes, its going to get better after the first service.
I have got a white one. My mom had agreed for this new car only on one condition, the color had to be white. I was insisting on black, but now I realize the white also looks stunning. Please find the pics below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
Hi PassionateDrive,
Congrats on your new buy. i20 CRDI is indeed a hot hatch. One of the best looking hatch (next to Punto though) as of now. As you said the interiors can even put some sedans to shame. Those chessy-blue-looking at nights are to die for!
And believe me, the torque may make you go mad at times You might never come asking for a petrol again! Jokes apart. How is the city driving and is the turbo-lag more significant or manageable? How do you rate the AC against other cars?
IMHO, the only downside is the scary steering With a whole lotta power, i20 (at least, this CRDI) deserves a much better steering wheel.
Pictures are must and do keep us posted.
Drive safe.
. The steering had to be better for this power. On the contrary, for city driving, this motor driven steering makes it absolute pleasure to drive the car. The turbo lag is manageable on city roads.
Please find the pics below. The 'cheesy blue' illumination for you . Also, I plan to install a Rheostat for Illumination control during my first servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Congrats buddy on the I20. Welcome to TBHP.
Please post some pics
Thanks Shk!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-image_032.jpg  

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-image_034.jpg  

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-11122010327.jpg  

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-11122010325.jpg  

Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES-11122010331.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th December 2010 at 19:34. Reason: Please STICK to 2 smiley per post. Next time will attract infraction
Old 13th December 2010, 11:58   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your new i20. Have a safe and happy drive.
White i20 looks really amazing.
Old 13th December 2010, 13:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car dude. Many happy mile crunching with it
Old 14th December 2010, 14:34   #9

congrats bhai...remember a treat and a long drive is due...will take it all when i come to Mumbai in feb next year
Old 14th December 2010, 17:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateDrive View Post
Thanks Vibhanshu. Please find the pics below.
Thanks Shk!
Blue Lights are awesome!! I thought the i20 interiors lights are Red/orange type - aint it ??
Old 14th December 2010, 18:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Blue Lights are awesome!! I thought the i20 interiors lights are Red/orange type - aint it ??
The red/orange interior lights where there on the BSIII models. BSIV models have these blue color lights.
Old 14th December 2010, 21:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishabh.asthana View Post
congrats bhai...remember a treat and a long drive is due...will take it all when i come to Mumbai in feb next year
Thanks bhai. A long drive and also a treat? I thought the long drive would itself be the treat . As you say brother, a treat wherever you drive me to.

P.S. - Mods, sorry for not clubbing this reply with the earlier one. Will take care hence forth.
Old 15th December 2010, 08:52   #13
BHPian

Congrats on your new car. White color looks awesome on an i20. Had almost bought one. As you said, the only sore points are the handling and the price. But, it will always put a wide grin on your face with its power and torque . Enjoy your car and drive safe. Don't forget to run her in properly before ripping her.
Old 16th December 2010, 23:23   #14
BHPian

Re: i20 CRDI Sportz - 1111 Km Report

Just a quick update on the performance of my baby (baby beast) -

First the points of concern -
- Little keech-keech noise, most likely from the front suspensions, not sure though. Its not loud enough to be heard in the traffic, and not consistent either.
- Bouncy ride if I am driving alone. Have to be careful at high speeds on uneven roads

Now the things I am liking/have started liking -
- Just loving the luxurious interiors. ICE is good. Sound quality is awesome. And I love flaunting the foldable mirrors
- A/C is OK. As per my requirements it is perfect. I put A/C on auto mode at 23-24 degrees and it does the job for me.
- City driving is absolute pleasure. Handles Mumbai traffic very well.
- Have done three long drives till now. Took her to the Mumbai-Pune Express Highway. Slowly getting used to the video game console (the steering). I think it is the matter of getting used to the senseless steering, and you will feel more confident at high speeds. But still, if the steering had a little more feedback, the car would have been a perfect 10/10.
- Linear acceleration is just amazing.

Haven't calculated the mileage yet, but I feel its better than last time. (Last time I had got 14 km/ltr). I have clocked 450 kms since I have filled the tank upto its brim, and now the fuel indicator is exactly at the mid point. So it should be somewhere in between 17-18 km/ltr (city + highway, with 50% AC on).

First servicing milestone is coming near, and I plan the following things
-Oil/Filter change
-check-up for the keech-keech sound
-a rheostat illumination controller
-seat covers

Keep you posted as the baby beast grows older.
Till then happy and safe driving
Old 17th December 2010, 09:38   #15
BHPian

Re: i20 CRDI Sportz - 1111 Km Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateDrive View Post
Little keech-keech noise, most likely from the front suspensions, not sure though. Its not loud enough to be heard in the traffic, and not consistent either.

A/C is OK. As per my requirements it is perfect. I put A/C on auto mode at 23-24 degrees and it does the job for me.

Haven't calculated the mileage yet, but I feel its better than last time. (Last time I had got 14 km/ltr). I have clocked 450 kms since I have filled the tank upto its brim, and now the fuel indicator is exactly at the mid point. So it should be somewhere in between 17-18 km/ltr (city + highway, with 50% AC on).
We didn't have any suspension noise. Check them out.
Yes, ACC is a boon
FE of 18kmpl is amazing dude. But still, a tank-to-tank method will give you the exact FE.
How do you rate the stock headlamps on low beam? Main beams are good but, low beams are really irritating!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks