Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2023, 12:25   #3901
BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post

Mine is 2015 Facelift model, could the cable be different ?

Swami
It should be different. But then I'm no expert in parts.
I'll try again with dealership.
Old 10th May 2023, 14:59   #3902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Mine is 2015 Facelift model, could the cable be different ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
It should be different. But then I'm no expert in parts.
Pre-2015 and facelifted one's are different. Moreover, the pre-2015 are not that great. I drove a lot in the hills and the cable would simply snap out every time I parked on an incline (even if slotted in gear). Facelifted one had an improved system, which I assume should Scorpio based, hence improved.
ralto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 19:51   #3903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I am repeating the problems again for better understanding.

1) Centre console does not remain 'slightly' hot, the gear stick is hot and untouchable after 15-20 mins of driving at speeds around 80-100

2) My AC does NOT have a problem. It becomes ineffective due to heat from gear stick.

3) I am asking what could be the issue and what can I look to address, which you are asking me to resolve and then changing the oils.

My Thar is 2013 make.
I am quoting a 3 years old post this time but since you are active, so doing this.

Finally what was the solution for ‘hot gear stick’?

I am also facing this problem in my Di 4x4 NGT 520 gear box since long back. If there is only 2 persons with nominal luggage gearbox (shifter stick) stays normal but if there are 5-7 person in the vehicle shifter stick becomes extremely hot. Otherwise there is no problem in gear shifting, it works normal.

Is it ‘maximile synchro UV2’ gear oil, which create this problem? In mahindra owners manual(s) this oil in not at all recommended anywhere except for Thar m2Dicr transfer case.
'Maximile syntech f2' gear oil is not easily available in market.

Thanks

Last edited by (Alok) : 7th June 2023 at 19:53.
Old 11th June 2023, 08:49   #3904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
I am quoting a 3 years old post this time but since you are active, so doing this.

Finally what was the solution for ‘hot gear stick’?

I am also facing this problem in my Di 4x4 NGT 520 gear box since long back. If there is only 2 persons with nominal luggage gearbox (shifter stick) stays normal but if there are 5-7 person in the vehicle shifter stick becomes extremely hot. Otherwise there is no problem in gear shifting, it works normal.

Is it ‘maximile synchro UV2’ gear oil, which create this problem? In mahindra owners manual(s) this oil in not at all recommended anywhere except for Thar m2Dicr transfer case.
'Maximile syntech f2' gear oil is not easily available in market.

Thanks
Here's what I managed

1) Check your coolant levels. Get your radiator serviced. My radiator had lot of rust from inside when drained. After that the gear stick started to reamain atleast 10 degrees cooler.

2) Check the water pump if working properly. Mine was malfunctioning and had to replace it.

Apart from this as a first-aid till you find a problem -

3) Take a break if the stick becomes really hot.

4) Drive slow, slow down to a speed where the stick is reasonably hot.

I did all of the above and finally was happy with the end result. (I did not change or tampered with oils)

Hope your find a solution soonest. Happy Driving.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 23:52   #3905
BHPian

Hi everyone, a friend is selling his recently done up 2012 Thar CRDe. The car has done about 90K km and he's spent a bucket load of money to do it up including putting off road tyres, rims, snorkel, full under body protection etc. He is selling it as he's a family man now and needs a bigger car. He's offered it to me at 5.5L which I feel is on a higher side. His take is that he's spent 2L+ on the car and completely done it up. There is absolutely no work required.

I am worried on 2 counts - the age of the car & the problems associated with it, especially rust and what happens if the NGT rule gets applied to all major cities.

Also, any tips on what things to check especially in the engine bay will be highly appreciated.
Old 26th December 2023, 15:50   #3906

Seeking Advice on Buying a 1st Gen Thar

I'm here looking for advice on my upcoming car purchase, particularly considering a 1st Gen Thar.

Here's a bit of background:
Having admired the Ghurka for a while, it was a massive disappointment earlier this year when I learned it was out of production. The news left me reminiscent of teenage heartbreak. With limited information on the release of a new Ghurka, I'm contemplating a used 4×4 as a temporary solution. Even if a Ghurka was released now, I'd wait at least a year for Force Motors to fix the nighles before I put down the booking amount.

Other options on my radar include a N-line i20, Tiago JTP, Polo GT, and even a near-mint 2021 Duster (Petrol) or a 4×4 Duster with around 60K on the odometer.

Thars that have caught my eyes:

Cars 24 - 2019 - HT|| 36,*** Kms ||Black|| Single owner|| 8.15 (+ insurance, RTO, etc)
Poorly done interior, and had a AK-47 painted on the top - A bad sign for a used car according to a friend who came along. But, comes with Cars24 assistance.

Local dealer 1 - 2017- HT|| 17,000 Kms|| Green||2 owners(Gursehaj Motors)|| 7.25(+ insurance, RTO, etc)
Limited information; seen only in pictures.

Local dealer 2 - 2018- ST|| 26,000 Kms|| Red|| 2 owners(not sure)|| 8 Lakhs(+ insurance, RTO, etc)
Limited information; seen only in pictures.

Questions:
Does it make sense to consider a 1st Gen Thar?
How can I ensure I buy a well-cared-for vehicle and avoid scams?
Considering the 10-year rule for diesels in Delhi, what are my options?
I've noticed different bumpers(metal off-roading types)on two of the Thars. Do these attract fines in NCR?
What is the maintenance like on these machines? I'm pretty sure they are reliable but I want to double check - I really do not want to be stranded anywhere.

A bit about myself:
-Grew up with a love for the Gypsy; owned a 1992 MG410 for over 10 years.
-Keen on serious off-roading, though limited experience.
-New to Delhi, seeking advice on FNGs, trusted used car dealers and hopefully some leads to well loved Thars looking for a new home.
-Current plan is to use this vehicle as my daily driver(~ 30Kms daily and 20-300 kms weekend trips around Delhi).

Your insights and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Hill_boy
Old 27th December 2023, 10:26   #3907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill_Boy View Post
Seeking Advice on Buying a 1st Gen Thar

I'm here looking for advice on my upcoming car purchase, particularly considering a 1st Gen Thar.

A bit about myself:
-Grew up with a love for the Gypsy; owned a 1992 MG410 for over 10 years.
-Keen on serious off-roading, though limited experience.
-New to Delhi, seeking advice on FNGs, trusted used car dealers and hopefully some leads to well loved Thars looking for a new home.
-Current plan is to use this vehicle as my daily driver(~ 30Kms daily and 20-300 kms weekend trips around Delhi).

Your insights and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Hill_boy
Keep one thing in mind. In Delhi the diesel car has to be phased out in 10 years, so consider this while getting a diesel thar.

As you like Gypsy, why dont you consider the Jimny? The price has come down so it is a good buy, especially in Delhi as you can keep it for the next 15 years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks