Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari- Bringing the black monster home!

Came for a visit to the ASC after the 2nd service..the a/c issues are being looked at while I'm waiting in the lounge. Have asked them to change the wiper blades too, the original set started leaving trails of water droplets just after 3months. Noticed a squeaky sound in the boot area, the SA tells me its the tail gate. Another one of the known issues.

I asked him to reduce the turning radius and he advised me against it saying it messes around with the brake banjo nut and has seen brake failure in a couple of vehicles. Could someone validate this theory pls.
Old 24th March 2011, 15:39   #32
BHPian

After the visit yesterday things are better with the tailgate squeaking and the a/c switch. However, there is a new issue discovered which needs to be further checked and understood. There seems to be a small whistling sound like a turbo whistle when I rev it beyond 2k rpm. The sound increases a bit with the RPMs and then remains almost constant. I showed it to the SA immediately and he said it might be the turbo sound, but there's a twist. The whistling disappears if I switch off the music system so I'm thinking it may be something else. The SA offered a thorough check up during my next service. Any ideas on where I should look?
Old 24th March 2011, 17:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
After the visit yesterday things are better with the tailgate squeaking and the a/c switch. However, there is a new issue discovered which needs to be further checked and understood. There seems to be a small whistling sound like a turbo whistle when I rev it beyond 2k rpm. The sound increases a bit with the RPMs and then remains almost constant. I showed it to the SA immediately and he said it might be the turbo sound, but there's a twist. The whistling disappears if I switch off the music system so I'm thinking it may be something else. The SA offered a thorough check up during my next service. Any ideas on where I should look?
Congratulations on a partial fix and sorry for some new annoying niggles.
Though it might sound different, go once to Concorde Motors service center, off Hosur road. Its worth a try.
Service engineer Ganesh would be good for most of the problems.

Good luck
Prem.
Old 24th March 2011, 18:37   #34
BHPian

Quote:
The whistling could be fromt he turbo. A mild whistle when the turbo kicks in after 2k RPM is normal in a diesel engine. But it goes off when the sound going off if the music system is switched off is a real twist... Thats turbo whistle for sure... you might what to know why you can hear it when the ICE is off
Old 24th March 2011, 19:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Congratulations on a partial fix and sorry for some new annoying niggles.
Though it might sound different, go once to Concorde Motors service center, off Hosur road. Its worth a try.
Service engineer Ganesh would be good for most of the problems.

Good luck
Prem.
Thanks Prem, I've had no better experience with Concorde when I had the Indigo which is why I changed over to Prerana since they were closer to home atleast. The SA is known to me for over 3 yrs now and he's been through hell with my escalations as well, so he does make sure that in the end its all fixed. Typical Tata!

I wish they were quality focused rather just customer focused. I can tell you that they want to make sure that you go back with a smile, however messed up your vehicle is. For example, the SA got me a new set of wiper blades as a free replacement in warranty. He said he fought with the warranty guys to get it done for me. I didnt ask for this, nor did I expect it, but he did it since he thought I'd give him "shabaashi" for it in the feedback (which I did!). I really think he's a nice guy, but he'd be the bestest if I got everything fixed without these follow up visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalii View Post
The whistling could be fromt he turbo. A mild whistle when the turbo kicks in after 2k RPM is normal in a diesel engine. But it goes off when the sound going off if the music system is switched off is a real twist... Thats turbo whistle for sure... you might what to know why you can hear it when the ICE is off
I'm not too worried about the turbo whistle (if indeed it is that), just that its a new thing after the grease monkeys touched the car. Morever its not a very irritating sound "as of now", it can only be heard when the music system is on but volume is moved to zero which is a rare instance. The ICE setup was bought only with the intention of killing all these niggly sounds and it does just that!
Old 24th March 2011, 19:26   #36
BHPian

I know this is late but pls accept my hearty wishes! You've got a beast there.

Can you please post the FE figures. Any significant changes after the services?

And yes, pics are sorely missed. We're awaiting a nice photo shoot for both interiors and exteriors.

Want to look how your machine looks after the upgrades you've made.

Keep updating. Drive safe.
Old 24th March 2011, 20:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
I know this is late but pls accept my hearty wishes! You've got a beast there.

Can you please post the FE figures. Any significant changes after the services?

And yes, pics are sorely missed. We're awaiting a nice photo shoot for both interiors and exteriors.

Want to look how your machine looks after the upgrades you've made.

Keep updating. Drive safe.
Thanks flyingkolors, its never too late for the wishes!

I'm getting around 10kmpl in the city with a marginal improvement of 11-11.5kmpl on the highways.

The pics will have to wait a bit, havent taken her out for a photoshoot yet. I'm also wanting to do this for a long time now, work schedule's been keeping me behind!
Old 24th March 2011, 22:12   #38
BHPian

Congrats Amol. People like you (read new buyers) are really an inspiration for people like us (dreamers)

Black color really hides the famous panel gaps & looks great
Old 24th March 2011, 23:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Congrats Amol. People like you (read new buyers) are really an inspiration for people like us (dreamers)

Black color really hides the famous panel gaps & looks great
Thanks quadra, dreamers are the ones who turn into achievers one day, so best of luck in your journey!

For me, cars always look best in black. I did try to change my color choice this time but like Henry Ford once said, "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black." So be it!
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2011, 15:15   #40
BHPian

Where are the pics buddy? Not justified at all...aint happening
Old 24th June 2011, 18:31   #41
BHPian

Encountered a strange issue today. Left home at 5am to go to Ooty for the weekend, 10 mins later the engine light came on. Stopped immediately and called the service center manager who promptly answered his phone and was willing to help too. Tata can surprise you sometimes!

I had to reach Ooty by lunch and things didn't look great. The i10 was parked in my wife's office so couldn't swap cars directly and moreover taking the small car meant ditching all luggage and some repacking. :(

The ASC Mgr asked me to come to the service center at 9 and he would get someone to look at the error codes causing the problem. Waiting till 9 wasn't an option so called a friend who offered his optra. Told him to meet me at my parking and I reached back home.

While he was coming, I just turned the key once to check on the issue and the light went off by itself. Tried 4-5 times and no light! Called the ASC Mgr again and he said it might be a loose contact and there's nothing to worry. I could take the beast safely and not bother about the issue.

So we started an hour late, but we were still on schedule. The car showed no signs of problem all through. We reached Ooty with no engine light even after multiple stops. I was relieved that it was just a glitch.

But then, as I parked at Ooty and came back in 20 mins, the light came on again for 5 mins or so. It again vanished not to be seen when I tried to replicate the situation. But now I was a bit worried so I went to the Tafe Access service center which is the TASC in Ooty.

Even there the guys were pretty cool about the issue and tgr Guy did some basic troubleshooting of reseating the sensors and cleaning the air filter. He did a test drive and confirmed there was no issue.

Has anyone seen this kind instance with the safari before?
Old 28th June 2011, 19:31   #42
BHPian

On a lighter note, My guess is it is one of those lizards in the Safari, or take it as the Safari is trying to talk to you in its own way.. :-)

I once had the engine malfunction light come on immediately after I got seat covers fitted, but on a restart the light went off and never came again till now.
Old 28th June 2011, 23:18   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
On a lighter note, My guess is it is one of those lizards in the Safari, or take it as the Safari is trying to talk to you in its own way.. :-)
Lizards in the safari . I think there are little bugs all over instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
I once had the engine malfunction light come on immediately after I got seat covers fitted, but on a restart the light went off and never came again till now.
Thats interesting, I had the MInda guy change battery on one of the remotes and replace the other remote just a day before the trip. Not sure if that was the root cause since he did reset and reprogram the remotes and thats connected to the ECU in some way for the immobilizer to work.

Overal, after 8 months of ownership, I'm a bit intrigued by the various issues I'm seeing with my beast. The upcoming 15k service will have a long laundry list to fix.

- The whistling noise is still there when the music player is ON. Not sure why the turbo would whine when I play music inside the car.

- The A/C has to be switched ON to fan speed 3 and then moved to 2 or 1. It refused to switch on directly on 1 or 2. This is "after" I got the switched changed in the last service.

- The engine light came ON during this trip, but I was made to believe it was a false alarm since it was only 5-10 mins that it stayed ON. There was no change in the driving/handling and I was able to complete an 800 km trip. (ofcourse, I never drove while the light was ON)

- The remote locking randomly stops doing the "Lock" action, I have to insert the key and lock the car. The remote works for the "Unlock" and "Search" function so I know the remote isnt at fault. I had reported this issue to Minda and the guy changed my remote even though I told him that the other functions were working. This time I tried it with both remotes and the "Lock" function wasnt working with either of the remotes, so I know its not the remote for sure.
Old 28th June 2011, 23:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- The whistling noise is still there when the music player is ON. Not sure why the turbo would whine when I play music inside the car.
Could this be alternator whine? Wiring issue with the HU after service (especially since they installed it upside down and then re-installed it the right way up)?

Some of the issues I've read about Safaris sound really funny when reading Must be frustrating to experience these issues, though
Old 29th June 2011, 12:07   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Overal, after 8 months of ownership, I'm a bit intrigued by the various issues I'm seeing with my beast. The upcoming 15k service will have a long laundry list to fix.
Where do you service, by the way? Just curious.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks