Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 19:19   #1
BHPian

December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home

December 21st 2010 was on my annual leave and lazing on the bed at 11:00 AM. My mobile rings and I lazily pick up the phone and the call was from the sales rep of AML motors, Panjagutta. He tells me that the vehicle which he promised delivery on the 25th has arrived and I can do a PDI before teh vehicle is booked on my name.

My joy knew no bounds and I immediately wake up get ready and roll out with my wife and head to the bank and finish my formalities and reach teh showroom and with a printout of PDI checklist downloaded from team-BHP check everything and found things to be in order and so was told that I could pick the vehicle on 22nd.

34K worth of freebies were standard on the vehicle and we could select accessories of our choice so choose
1. Reverse Camera with Screen from Xenos
2. Art leather sear covers in Beige colour
3. Floor mats
4. Scuff plates
5. Bull Bar with Flag rod
6. Paint protection
7. 10 litres of Diesel

Picked up the vehicle by 5 PM after a small pooja cermony and staraight away drove to the temple for pooja.

All this while just had 2 test drives of the MHAWK each vehicle with around 18 K KMS on the ODO so when I got this beast out on teh road could not unleash its power beacuse of loads of traffic on the road. Never crossed 30 kmph. Finally after the pooja at the temple went staraight home and picked up mom and dad and took them for a spin. Dad drove teh vehicle for the first time and said it is a very powerful behicle but I would not be able to manage driving it in the city and is happy driving the Santro.

Went straight to the highway and was ripping the beast but made sure that I did not cross 2000 RPM as it was still in the run in period. The power was just exhilarating. Just a mere touch of the accelarator and it just zooms off. The power is avaialble in any gear just floor the accelarator and it takes off.

On the 23rd took Maverick-2 for a spin on ORR and what an experience with in no time the speedo showed 100 so reduced the speed back to 80 as I did not want to go past 80 in the run in period. 25th Dec went to Srisailam and it was one amazing experience and the beast never failed to please me.

Did a trip to Tirupathi and back and it was fantastic all the way never felt my legs getting cramped which used to happen on the Santro when driving for a long period of time as I am 5 feet and eleven inches in height.

Positives:
1. Loads of space people behind me can sit comfortably, where as in teh Santro since my seat used to be way back people used to find it difficult to sit behind me.
2. Loads of power on demand.
3. Good view all around.
4. Powerful AC.
5. Easy to bully Auto wallas.

The list goes on.

Negatives:
1. Door lock from inside could have been of better quality.
2. Could have added a autiomatic climate control.
3. The alloys could be beefier. (Definetly needs an upgrade)
4. The ICE setup could have been better. (Definetly needs an upgrade)

Over all at the end of the day it is one amazing vehicle My Maverick-2, Maverick being my Santro.

Some pics during delivery time (Descriptions)
1. Pooja at the dealership
2. Pooja at the dealership
3. Pooja at the dealership
4. Garlanding Maverick-2
5. Wifey starting Maverick-2 for the first time
7. Recieving sweets and 10 litre diesel coupon from AML motors sales rep.
8. The journey begins
9. Pooja at the temple
10. Pooja at teh temple.
11. Me, Wifey and Maverick-2
12 Maverick and Maverick-2 in the driveway
Attached Thumbnails
December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home-img_0208.jpg  

December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home-img_0211.jpg  

December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home-img_0212.jpg  

December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home-img_0215.jpg  

December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home-img_0224.jpg  

December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home-img_0228.jpg  

December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home-img_0233.jpg  

December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home-img_0234.jpg  

December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home-img_0237.jpg  

December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home-img_0243.jpg  

December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home-img_0246.jpg  

December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home-img_0250.jpg  

Old 1st March 2011, 19:36   #2
BHPian

Re: December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home

Congrats Octane nice white beast you have . Drive safe and enjoy every mile.
Old 1st March 2011, 20:13   #3
BHPian

Re: December 22nd 2010 - Scorpio MHAWK VLX - The white beast (Maverick - 2)comes home

An interesting incident happened on the 17th of Jan. I was returning home at around 3:00AM in the night from work(Blame the night shifts as I work for a US process) all the roads were being laid near to my place so the roads were wet with tar. I noticed a few indicas just go by and I did the same and because the road was still wet the underbody and the sides were spashed with tar. I reached home and didnt give it much thought but when I checked it the next day it was so aweful and I was feeling bad for not taking an alternate route when I had the option.

Immediately I take Maverick-2 to the local garage where I used to get teh Santro washed regularly and those guys tell me that it has to undergo rubbing polishing and high power water wash would only worsen it.

So call AML A.S.S. and tell them my problem and they asked me to go to Automotives on Medchal highway because they were the one's who deal with denting and painting. So I promptly drive down and when I showed the vehicle to them they said it would take 2 days and it would cost me 5k as they also need to do paint protection . I inform them that paint protection has already been done before delivery and I was proof for it because it was done in front of my eyes to which the service advisor said that it is not possible. So I immediately call sales rep from AML and tell him the problem and he spot on gives me a number of some higher up in Mahindra stating that a similar problem had occured before and Automotives said that paint protection has not been done and they would do it for an extra charge, so this higher up from Mahindra had intervened and got the issue resolved.

I was sceptical to call him and thought I will show it to one of my old mechanic who used to service my Contessa and he quoted 2K for washing all the stains off and applying paint protection all over again. Straight away I drove to AML motors and showed them the car and person who cleans teh car before delivery says that since it is already paint protected he could try using some chemical and see it it would go and since he did not have teh chemical he used a little bit of diesel and presto the marks vanished. The person throughly cleaned all the exterior very patiently for 2 hours and the Mavrick-2 was gleaming once again. The guy was not even expecting any money at the end of it and I gave him 300 bucks and his smile was unforgettable.

Next day went to my local car wash guy and got him 2 litres of diesel and he the vehicle was lifted on the machine and throughly cleaned and 80% of the tar and much was cleaned and some 20% still remains as those stains became hard but would not notice them until we bend towards the side and look keenly. The only way to get rid of it is to get teh under body protection done so that all those stains go away.

Lesson learnt --- Never drive a white coloured vehicle on freshly laid tar roads.

Maverick-2 crossed 5000 kms and is due for its first free service which will be done this week and will post the experience once the beast comes abck from service.

All the while it has been one beautiful experince driving Maverick-2 as it always puts a smile on my face with its power and comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Congrats Octane nice white beast you have . Drive safe and enjoy every mile.
Thanks Fortuner71
Old 1st March 2011, 21:27   #4
BHPian

hi sashi congrats on your new car aka Maverick2. I too drive a scorpio sle we took delivery on 31st dec.I had actually booked with AML , however they quoted low price on my previous car while exchange .Also Getsurya from the forum helped me get a good deal ,so bought the car from automotive .
Old 1st March 2011, 21:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
hi sashi congrats on your new car aka Maverick2. I too drive a scorpio sle we took delivery on 31st dec.I had actually booked with AML , however they quoted low price on my previous car while exchange .Also Getsurya from the forum helped me get a good deal ,so bought the car from automotive .
Hey thats great Arjuna 2 Scorpio owners of team-BHP staying around A.S.Raonagar, will definetly meet up over the weekend. By the way how much did you pay for the SLE and which colour did you pick up?
Old 1st March 2011, 21:51   #6
BHPian

Congrats on possessing what still remains one of the best SUV's in the Market! Your Beast looks amazing. I was always skeptical about bull bars, but your installing seems flawless. The white color is one color that suits the Scorpio very much.

That said, Please upload some interior pics. And yes, Wishing you many happy miles! Enjoy the Beast!

Last edited by Zappex : 1st March 2011 at 21:58. Reason: Typo
Old 2nd March 2011, 00:34   #7
BHPian

A very interesting thing happened on our way back from Tiirupathi, it was around 7:30 in the night and we were near Nandhyal and the roads from Kadapa to Nandhyal are horrible the less said about them the better but Maverick-2 took them by stride.

Upon reaching the outskirts of Nandhyal the TPMS warning keeps buzzing for the rear right tyre and we were in the middle of no where so immediately stopped the car and was checking the type for any leakage but did not find any so was not knowing what to do as I was in a dilema as to should i change the type or should i ride on and family members were getting panicky as there was no soul in sight and the raods were pitch dark. So I turned off the engine and turn it back on and presto the warning goes off so wait for a couple of minutes before I resume the journey and after 15 minutes now the rear left wheel warning sign keeps buzzing and all i did was stop the car turn off the engine and restart it and the buzzing goes off.

After this incident I have never faced that problem but I keep wondering why it cropped up.

Any idea Scorpio owners???
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane78 View Post
immediately stopped the car and was checking the type for any leakage but did not find any

After this incident I have never faced that problem but I keep wondering why it cropped up.
Are you sure you checked properly for a leakage? While i had my Scorpio, The TPMS did send out a wrong reading a couple of times, it can be due to the sensor malfunctioning, if not the puncture.

In my case The MASS could not solve it properly, still get it checked up with them. About the problem disappearing when switching off, The TPMS gets reset when doing so.
Old 2nd March 2011, 20:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Its raining scorpios! So we know the guys from T-Bhp who have been adding to the sales.

Congratulations! A very happy and safe driving.
Old 2nd March 2011, 22:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
Are you sure you checked properly for a leakage? While i had my Scorpio, The TPMS did send out a wrong reading a couple of times, it can be due to the sensor malfunctioning, if not the puncture.

In my case The MASS could not solve it properly, still get it checked up with them. About the problem disappearing when switching off, The TPMS gets reset when doing so.
Hi Zappex its been more than a month since I am back from the trip but so sfar so good all the tyres seems ok and just completed the first free service today and nothing unusual noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Its raining scorpios! So we know the guys from T-Bhp who have been adding to the sales.

Congratulations! A very happy and safe driving.
Thanks TaureanBull nice handle by the way. I am also a taurean
Old 3rd March 2011, 07:33   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@octane78L:

The Scorpio TPMS monitors are not of the greatest quality. Mine has acted up buzzing and giving false alarms a couple of times. Then after a day of annoying it goes away. Guess the sensors are faulty. When I have taken for service the TPMS is fine so they cannot diagnose any fault.
Old 3rd March 2011, 20:13   #12
BHPian

Yesterday for 2nd March booked an appointment for the first free servicing for my Maverick 2.

I was told that if I could come by 9 AM in the morning I could get the vehicle in 3 hours as it would be something called quick service, so at 8:00AM I drag myself from the bed as I am usually sleeping at that time coz I work in night shifts and come home by 3:30 AM in the morning. So I reach promptly by 9:15AM. SInce the MASS is actually a little far from my place I thought it would be better to stay and pick up the vehicle in 3 hours so after dropping the vehicle informed the service advisor the following things that need to be checked in the car.
1. Remote key sometimes does not function and we need to press the buttons a few times.
2. A sound coming very occasionally from the front right side when going over potholes.
3. A kind of rough sound coming upon depressing the clutch which was present from teh second day of purchasing teh beast.
4. The cover which cover the rain sensors is loose and needs to be fixed.

The servise advisor promises the vehicle to be ready by 1:00PM, so I leave the place and have a little breakfast at Universal bakery on M.G.Road and had a little problem with my mobile phone speaker so visited Nokia care and came back to MASS by 11:30AM and was seated in the customer lounge. Browsed a few magazines and I dozed of on the sofa for a good one hour and promptly got up by 1:00PM.

I go into the service area and look and the guys were working on the problem with the clutch (All other work completed). So was informed that it would be completed in another half hour.

I was waiting patiently and watching the guys work and they were unable to figure out what was worng and why it was sounding that way. They replaced teh spring and cleaned the clutch PIN but the issue still persists and the time was 3:30PM. I informed teh guy I need to go to work and need to be in office by 5:30PM and if the vehicle would be ready and finally at 4:00PM I was informed that the clutch pedal needs to be replaced and since they were out of stock they said they would order it and once they get it they would call me to get it replaced. I was getting ready to move and out comes some manager who checks the problem and calls another mechanic and asks him to change some bolt at the top which was done and presto the sound vanished but the time was 4:45PM and I still had to go back home which is around 20 kms and then get ready and drive back to work which is another 30 KMS away. By the time I left the MASS it was 5:15PM.

The car was again cleaned and a test drive was done and the car was ready. The bill amounted to 2800 which I paid and got moving. Upon reaching my place I realised that the cover which was loose for the rain sensors was not fixed .

The total time at the MASS was 8 hours which was actually supposed to be 3 hours.

All in all it was a time well spent now Maverick was smoother and was more refined.

Need to check the mileage now.

Today when I got up from sleep I was surprised to find the team-BHP stickers arrive by courier. I immediately went out and stuck them on Maverick-2 and also Maverick. Feels good to have them on.
Old 14th March 2011, 17:10   #13
BHPian

Octane : Your Diamond white beast looks great. Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy each and every mile of your ride on the beast! Drive safe.

Quote:
when I showed the vehicle to them they said it would take 2 days and it would cost me 5k as they also need to do paint protection .
Lesson learnt --- Never drive a white coloured vehicle on freshly laid tar roads.
Point to be noted --- We should never go by the service centre people’s views when they quote any fancy amounts for small problems. We must go for second opinion before proceeding further. (Usually Tar marks will go away without any problem with the use of chemical or diesel).

Quote:
roads from Kadapa to Nandhyal are horrible the less said about them the better
Other side of the coin: The road between Nandhyal to Kurnool is gives you enjoyable ride with small hills and beautiful natural rock formations. The Haritha Rock Garden (Maintained by AP tourism) which comes on the way before reaching Kurnool is nice place for highway travellers to have some food, rest and refreshment .

Quote:
now the rear left wheel warning sign keeps buzzing and all i did was stop the car turn off the engine and restart it and the buzzing goes off.
The problem was solved by restarting the engine. But what if the problem persists even after turning off and restarting the engine!! Is there any way to switch off that buzzing sound when we found it faulty?? (It will be annoying if it continues to buzz)
Waiting for some more pics (interior and exterior) and further updates of your experiences with the beast!

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2011 at 11:41. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares. It results in a formatting error.
Old 17th March 2011, 19:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
Octane : Your Diamond white beast looks great. Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy each and every mile of your ride on the beast! Drive safe.

Point to be noted --- We should never go by the service centre people’s views when they quote any fancy amounts for small problems. We must go for second opinion before proceeding further. (Usually Tar marks will go away without any problem with the use of chemical or diesel).

Other side of the coin: The road between Nandhyal to Kurnool is gives you enjoyable ride with small hills and beautiful natural rock formations. The Haritha Rock Garden (Maintained by AP tourism) which comes on the way before reaching Kurnool is nice place for highway travellers to have some food, rest and refreshment .

The problem was solved by restarting the engine. But what if the problem persists even after turning off and restarting the engine!! Is there any way to switch off that buzzing sound when we found it faulty?? (It will be annoying if it continues to buzz)
Waiting for some more pics (interior and exterior) and further updates of your experiences with the beast!
Thanks VSUN for the wishes, as you said we had our dinner on our return journey at teh Haritha rock garden and it was a no nonsense affair. Food was really good.

Need an opinion.

Last night when I was returning home at around 2:00AM a dog suddenly crossed my path and I was soing around 100KMPH and I had to brake hard, the vehicle stopped but I could hear some kind of sound like metal scrapping which never occured during braking.

As far as I know this was the only incident where I had to brake really hard.

Any expert advice???
Old 18th March 2011, 00:07   #15
BHPian

100KMPH Man! even 80Km is not advisable on our city roads. The dog gave u a warning !! ..Kidding....
Now about the problem : Is there any speed breaker like thing or some type of ups and downs on the road? Check the vehicle thoroughly all around, bellow the bumpers, under body etc. If nothing is wrong, I feel u can forget the incident and go on running. (But again it depends on the intensity of the sound u heard). Since it happened last night only, u can check for any scratch marks on the road at that spot. Sometimes small tiny stones which usually get stuck-up in the tyre threading may make such sounds while hard breaking. Any way let us see what experts say!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks