Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 18:12   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Did you try replacing the clutch fluid completely? I am going to try that next.
Considering the mileage of your vehicle, you must have done Clutch Fluid change already.

Clutch Fluid is the same as Brake Fluid and is fed from the same reservoir. IIRC, Brake fluids must be completely replaced every 40K kms or less.

BTW, I don't feel the clutch being that heavy on Tucson or the Elantra...I agree that it is not as light as petrols, but I never felt heavy clutch as an issue at all. IMHO it is the same circus with any diesel vehicle. My only problem with Tucson clutch is the audible clatter it generates at around every 25K KM and the solution is to replace the clutch only for the sound to return again after the next 25K mark.

A small update from my side: I've remapped my Tucson (claimed power increase of 30-35 BHP) and has been enjoying the beast for the last 3 months or so...It was the best thing to happen with my Tucson and I'm never gonna go back to stock again...The vehicle has become so much more driveable both in the city and highway...I was expecting a mileage drop due to more power but I was proven terribly wrong...Did 2 trips recently of ~800 km each involving ghat sections and I was dumbfound at the mileage it gave.. Approximately 18.9 km/litre on a babied drive and 18.2 km/ litre on a drive which saw some serious speeds wherever the road conditions allowed. The top speed has also gone up to 174 km/hr (GPS measured).

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 11th January 2012 at 18:31.
Old 11th January 2012, 19:12   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
A small update from my side: I've remapped my Tucson (claimed power increase of 30-35 BHP) and has been enjoying the beast for the last 3 months or so...It was the best thing to happen with my Tucson and I'm never gonna go back to stock again...The vehicle has become so much more driveable both in the city and highway...I was expecting a mileage drop due to more power but I was proven terribly wrong...Did 2 trips recently of ~800 km each involving ghat sections and I was dumbfound at the mileage it gave.. Approximately 18.9 km/litre on a babied drive and 18.2 km/ litre on a drive which saw some serious speeds wherever the road conditions allowed. The top speed has also gone up to 174 km/hr (GPS measured).

Wow!
How? Where? How much?

I want to do the same.
Please help me get a remap, it will give my Tucson a new lease of life.
174km/hr GPS measured - how much is it on the ODO?

Any problems you see with long term reliability? Black smoke? Oil consumption? Anything at all?
Old 11th January 2012, 20:10   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Wow!
How? Where? How much?

I want to do the same.
Please help me get a remap, it will give my Tucson a new lease of life.
I took a long winding route to get it done (and fine tuned) via a renowned tuner in Germany. Will PM you with details soon.

Quote:
174km/hr GPS measured - how much is it on the ODO?
The ODO was showing ~170 km/hr but my ODO was showing less than actual speeds (and expectedly so) after the tyre upsize. I estimate that a remapped Tucson would do true 180-185 kmph given the roads.

Quote:
Any problems you see with long term reliability? Black smoke? Oil consumption? Anything at all?
No issues of black smoke or anything... In fact it smokes a lot less than original Hyundai map. I've had prior remap tunes (The tuner called them ECO-Maps) which did not smoke AT ALL whatever you do and still delivered better power (some 10-15% more) than stock.

No undue oil consumption either...I never had that problem to begin with. I strictly follow a 5K km oil change interval and leave it at the dip-stick max-level marking during each change. In 5000 km, the level would have dipped some half a centimeter from the original level. I guess that much consumption (probably ~200-300ml) is to be expected anyways. I don't see it changed after the remap and I'm getting close to my next oil change.

Long Term Reliability: This is something which I cannot comment about since it has been only 3 months or so and I'm more than happy with the remap...I get a feeling that I should have remapped years back...The change is so dramatic and make me feel "What the F was I driving all these years???".

Irrespective of what some tuners might say, Hyundai must have given an appropriate tune for maximizing the reliability and efficiency under all environmental, loading and fuel quality conditions...After all, they should know their engines better than any tuner. My take on long term reliability is that the additional power generated by a remap will obviously show its effect somewhere in reducing the overall reliability numbers but I guess the change would be too less to notice in a vehicle's life unless you push the limits too often. It was possible to go even higher in power but the tuner was not ready to increase the power without a boost controller. I'd like to call it "Responsible Tuning". As you know, Tucson has a Waste Gate Turbo which is not strictly under ECU's control and requires an external boost controller or fool with the waste gate screw to bump up the boost. My plan is to enjoy the new found pleasure of ~140 BHP (claimed) for now and get a boost controller as the next step some 6-12 months down the lane.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 11th January 2012 at 20:32.
Digital Vampire is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 20:55   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I took a long winding route to get it done (and fine tuned) via a renowned tuner in Germany. Will PM you with details soon.
It was possible to go even higher in power but the tuner was not ready to increase the power without a boost controller. I'd like to call it "Responsible Tuning". As you know, Tucson has a Waste Gate Turbo which is not strictly under ECU's control and requires an external boost controller or fool with the waste gate screw to bump up the boost. My plan is to enjoy the new found pleasure of ~140 BHP (claimed) for now and get a boost controller as the next step some 6-12 months down the lane.
AMAZING.
I am eagerly awaiting your PM.
With all the hard work done to tune your Tuc, I am tempted to say, it can be reused as is for mine.

As for the boost controller - yes I will be more than happy with 140 BHP and 185kph for years to come, I think.

Cheers!
Old 12th January 2012, 11:02   #50
BHPian

I don't think you will face issues.

I Pete'd my Elantra when the mileage was 15,000 and now it has done almost 1lakh with that. It has done 185 kmph (odo) effortlessly on my trip to Rameswaram.

Recently changed the wiring harness when the faulty connectivity made the ECU go crazy! The service personnel have no clue about the box and what it does. Once the senior guy even told me "Its the blue box that is causing all the issues". The real issue was with the worn out clutch.

A costly affair - even the harness cost me around 9K. But its worth it - the effortless surge of power and breathtaking statitics (when it comes to covering the distance) without ever having to floor or red line - the feeling is awesome. You can average 90-100 so easily and that makes the overall drive quite different. Driving in city traffic is much better after getting the box.

Now my dilemma is - whether to move to Stage II. Lan says "You dont need that"!!
Old 12th January 2012, 11:40   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by convivial View Post

I Pete'd my Elantra when the mileage was 15,000 and now it has done almost 1lakh with that. It has done 185 kmph (odo) effortlessly on my trip to Rameswaram.

Recently changed the wiring harness when the faulty connectivity made the ECU go crazy! The service personnel have no clue about the box and what it does. Once the senior guy even told me "Its the blue box that is causing all the issues". The real issue was with the worn out clutch.

A costly affair - even the harness cost me around 9K. But its worth it - the effortless surge of power and breathtaking statitics (when it comes to covering the distance) without ever having to floor or red line - the feeling is awesome. You can average 90-100 so easily and that makes the overall drive quite different. Driving in city traffic is much better after getting the box.

Now my dilemma is - whether to move to Stage II. Lan says "You dont need that"!!
I guess you are referring to Petes/PSI Tuning Box (TB). I too used PSI Tuning box for some time and is in no doubt an excellent and proven tuning box. But I switched to the remap for its inherent advantages. A "well written" remap is way better than any Tuning box in every possible way. As you may know, tuning boxes has a fair share of limitations.

If you were talking about Stage-2 in PSI TB, I found it quite peaky in power delivery and found its Stage-1 to be a lot better in terms of usable power. You can try stage-2 and see if it suits your driving style. I know of a few Elantras which are on Stage-2 for quite a long time and still doing great.
Old 12th January 2012, 16:30   #52
BHPian

Yeah, I was referring to the PSI Tuning Box. I was trying to suggest that a box alone can make this difference - so a remap can be overwhelming. How did you get that done? Can you please elaborate?

Have been on Stage 1 for almost 80K kms and now I get a "grown-up" feeling. But I think I will stick to this - it makes city commute easier and the moment I turn into the highway and change the RPM patterns, it behaves like a wild cat. :-)

Happy Driving!
Old 13th January 2012, 11:31   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by convivial View Post

So what was the top speed of your stock Elantra?

Quote:
I guess you are referring to Petes/PSI Tuning Box (TB). I too used PSI Tuning box for some time and is in no doubt an excellent and proven tuning box. But I switched to the remap for its inherent advantages.
Hi Anoop,

I have sent you my VIN, and I am willing to drive to Bangalore if you or your fellow remap experts could spare some time and help tune my Tuc. I can even follow your foot steps - i.e. use the PSI box first and then visit Bangalore for remap.

Any chance I can buy your used PSI box if you don't need it anymore?
Old 13th January 2012, 11:45   #54
BHPian

The top speed on my stock was around 140-145 before. I wasnt sure about the box and therefore asked the dealer in Trivandrum to give me one to test on the trip to Rameswaram. Though I touched the top speed ever, I hadnt appreicated the overall driving experience. There was some significant lag.

Later, I went to Peter and got a box along with the Green Cotton Filter - again on another trip to Munnar, a trip of a different kind where I could test it clearly. And it passed the test!

Ever since, it isnt the top speed, but the ease of drive in the city and the obvious effortless delivery of power that helps me stick to an average speed of 100-110 on long stretches - something that makes all the difference in long drives.

Quote:
So what was the top speed of your stock Elantra?

Old 22nd January 2012, 11:39   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn
Dear BHPians, Wishing You All a Very Happy New Year..

I am happy that my international assignment could not materialize due to some personal reasons and i will be able to spend some more time with the silver fox.

The silver fox has crossed 69000 kms. Got the car serviced last week.
Hey kamal, at the risk of sounding immature, boy am i glad you stuck around and to your Silver Fox!

Hope the Tuc brings you better prospects on domestic shores soon.

Recently changed my phone, can you text me your number please?

Regards
Old 9th March 2012, 21:59   #56
BHPian

Some more additions to my tools/accessories collection :

1) Ring Automotive digital tyre inflator

Pictures and cost details on the following link :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2700786

2) Tropicool 12AD car fridge

Got an interesting deal from reliance autozone for the same. Folks who are interested my PM me for details.

Also got the AC cabin filter changed. Found a very economical aftermarket option for only Rs. 600 compared to Rs. 2500 being charged by the ASC.

Last edited by kamal.sn : 9th March 2012 at 22:02.
Old 10th March 2012, 07:43   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn View Post
Also got the AC cabin filter changed. Found a very economical aftermarket option for only Rs. 600 compared to Rs. 2500 being charged by the ASC.
I'm also looking out for something non-OEM due to the prohibitive cost of that OEM filter. Do you mind sharing this info?
Old 10th March 2012, 22:51   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
I'm also looking out for something non-OEM due to the prohibitive cost of that OEM filter. Do you mind sharing this info?
I got the aftermarket cabin filter from a company called Zip filters ( www.zipfilters.com ). They also have a pricelist on their website. You can talk to them and see if they courier the filter to you. The Tucson cabin filter is about 600 bucks and the quality is comparable to the OEM one.

Mods : I am not promoting any company but want to help BhPians save some cost. You may delete the post of you feel otherwise.
kamal.sn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 22:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

Dude, by any chance were you on the Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway at about 8.50AM in the morning today? I was in a friend's car and saw your silver Tucson zoom past.
Old 8th June 2012, 22:53   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Dude, by any chance were you on the Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway at about 8.50AM in the morning today? I was in a friend's car and saw your silver Tucson zoom past.
Hi predatorwheelz, it was indeed me in Tucson. The DG expressway is my daily route to reach office.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks