Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 22:32   #61
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..

Got my car serviced recently with an odo reading of 78500 kms. Apart from the regular service, the stabilizer bar links were replaced.

I also wanted to get the differential and transfer case fluids with the recommended grade of 80w90 but the ASC did not have the right grade and wanted to use some other grade of oil for which i flatly refused.

Then they arranged the 80w90 oil from some dealer but it was a mahindra maximile branded one, i did not agree for the same either.

The power steering fluid was also changed. They again did not have the Hyundai recommended PSF-3 fluid and used Shell spirax S2 AH ATF D2 which is a automatic transmission fluid but the container also mentioned power steering. I was not sure if this would be the right one but since they had already drained the existing fluid, i allowed them to use the ATF fluid. No problems as such with the power steering after the fluid change but have it still under observation.

After driving for a week after the service, i can now hear a creaking ( and a kat-kat) noise from the suspension every time i turn the steering or the car passes through a bump or a pothole. This was not there before the service.

Planning to take the car sometime this weekend to get the problem checked.

Also wanted from you folks to understand the following :

1) The engine oil is about 4 mm above the max mark. These guys had done the same during the last service and i had to get the excess oil drained after a week of service. Will this much excess oil cause any problem ? I will anyways get the excess oil drained during the weekend.

2) The ASC technicians never lubricate/grease any part during service. They just do the routine stuff of replacing oil, fuel and air filter and wash the car. Which all parts should be greased/lubricated regularly ?

3) Should i get the EGR valve cleaned ? What are the symptoms of an unclean EGR valve ?

4) Is there a proper procedure of getting the struts checked ? The technician suspects a faulty front right strut for the kat-kat noise which i had mentioned earlier.

5) The driver side seat-belt doesnt latch up sometimes and i have to try 2-3 times to latch it up. A replacement assembly costs something like 12,000 bucks as the seat belt buckle assembly also contains a pre-tensioner. Is there any way of getting this serviced ?

6) When the car is static and on a concrete surface or tarmac and i turn the steering wheel slightly left or right i hear a kat-kat noise ( different from the one mentioned above ). The tie rod ends were changed earlier to correct the issue but the problem persists. Could this be due to faulty tie-rods or something else ?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-resized2001.jpg  

kamal.sn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 12:53   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi @kamal,

Yes, seat-belt pretensioners are expensive as I was also told. Even in my case, they don't retract as agressively as they used to a couple of years back and rear right one locks up may times as you said. Even I am thinking what to do - may be I will ask them to try opening and greasing it once (they have been reluctant to do it so far) and then look up on ebay if the parts can be sourced cheaply. If you find a way out, do share.

More oil than MAX level is not good for cat con I read. Not sure if 4mm would be bad enough, but, it will be safer to drain some.

I am no expert on the suspension, but if you hear khat-kkat anytime during turning, you should replace whatever it is. In my case, i would ask the service guys to isolate the issue and show me what's worn out and then replace. They are generally very good at diagnostics.

Cheers!
Old 4th March 2013, 20:39   #63
BHPian

I started converting my Tuc's interior lights to LEDs a couple of days back and today i swapped the last bulb with an LED.

Got most of the LED bulbs locally and got the one i installed today from ebay US for the map light.

Some pictures of the package i got from ebay and some pictures of the product and the completed installation..
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0063-medium.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0071-medium.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0068-medium.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0073-medium.jpg  

kamal.sn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 20:48   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting.
So you got rid of the pale yellow gloomy interior!!!
Can you post some night shots of the new cabin?

What about the heat sink issues? The LEDs come with appropriate fixtures that dissipate heat well enough?

Cheers!
Old 4th March 2013, 21:01   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Interesting.
So you got rid of the pale yellow gloomy interior!!!
Can you post some night shots of the new cabin?

What about the heat sink issues? The LEDs come with appropriate fixtures that dissipate heat well enough?

Cheers!
Hi Anand,

yes i have been able to get rid of the yellow gloomy interiors and now the Tuc's interiors shine in the white LED light.

Since the interior led bulbs will be used for only a few seconds at any instant, heat dissipation will not be an issue and moreover these are very low wattage LEDs but the one i got for the reverse light is a 10W one and is based on CREE led which comes with a heat sink. The led used in the bulb is as shown in the picture..

I will surely post night shots of the interior with the LEDs on by tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-cree-led-xre-q2-7c.jpg  

Old 5th March 2013, 22:01   #66
BHPian

As promised, night shots of the interiors with the LEDs..
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0083-medium.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0085-medium.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0087-medium.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0089-medium.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0097-medium.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0099-medium.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0105-medium.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0107-medium.jpg  

kamal.sn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 09:32   #67
BHPian

Nice :-) can you pls post a pic of the reverse light (10W)?
Old 6th March 2013, 10:02   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Better than the OEM ones :-)
But why does it show bluish tint (I was hoping to see absolute white which I love)? Camera limitation or it's by choice?
Old 6th March 2013, 12:45   #69
BHPian

I guess color preferences are individual specific and I prefer the Soft-Yellow OEM bulbs for interior lighting. There is a reason why Candle Lit Dinners and Incandescent soft lighting still exists ;-)
Old 6th March 2013, 13:12   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Better than the OEM ones :-)
But why does it show bluish tint (I was hoping to see absolute white which I love)? Camera limitation or it's by choice?
The LED array which i got for the dome light has a bluish tint and did not notice the same when i got it installed as it was a bright day. All the other LED bulbs in the car emit white light.

Even i prefer white and am thinking of getting it changed soon.
Old 14th July 2013, 17:31   #71
BHPian

Came back from my US trip last week. Even though i didn't get time to go around much but atleast made a couple of trips to the nearby Target and Walmart stores and i must that the Walmart 'Automotive' section is a paradise for petrolheads. Wanted to buy a whole lot of stuff but carrying the same back to India would be a nightmare hence ended up buying select things. Also want to understand if the steel license plate frame i have purchased is legal in India or not ?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0449-large.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0450-large.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0451-large.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0452-large.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0453-large.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0454-large.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0455-large.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0456-large.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0457-large.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0458-large.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0459-large.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0460-large.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-img_0462-large.jpg  

kamal.sn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2013, 22:31   #72
BHPian

A snap of my Tuc from a recent weekend trip to a resort in greater Noida :
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-20130811_120612.jpg  

Old 19th October 2014, 14:32   #73
BHPian

There is a grease leak from the coupling on the prop shaft between the front transfer case and the centre bearing. The Hyundai replacement part comes as a complete set with the front half of the prop shaft and costs about USD 800-1000

Can someone provide me some information on exactly is this (sort for my ignorance) and where in Delhi/NCR can i get this repaired.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-dsc_0002.jpg  

Old 20th October 2014, 10:34   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you searching for the axle online? Why? Did you show it to the Hyundai service center? What's their diagnosis? And what's the official Hyundai India price?

Service center should be able to check if this boot is separately available and replaceable. If the joint hasn't been damaged yet, replacing the boot may be an option, but it can be a difficult and time consuming job. Replacing the axle is generally the best option (sadly).
Old 24th October 2014, 17:03   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Are you searching for the axle online? Why? Did you show it to the Hyundai service center? What's their diagnosis? And what's the official Hyundai India price?

Service center should be able to check if this boot is separately available and replaceable. If the joint hasn't been damaged yet, replacing the boot may be an option, but it can be a difficult and time consuming job. Replacing the axle is generally the best option (sadly).
I did show the same to the mechanic/SA at the Hyundai service centre where i usually get my car done. Their response was that there is a bit of a grease leak but everything is fine. It is not even worth arguing with them as these guys hardly know their stuff except one or two of their senior technicians who were not around. I checked the Hyundai microcat (spares catalogue) according to which the boot is not a separate item but comes as a part of the complete propshaft assembly (49300A) in the picture. I have a ballpark figure of something like INR 40000 for the complete assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-hyundai-tucson-propshaft.jpg  

kamal.sn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks