Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 12:42   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Got my black Safari Delivered

Luke,

Nothing to do with the transition itself, but how people perceive the two vehicle. With the Alto, I have to make way for everyone and everything, from the trucks to man on foot - right of way be damed!

But with the Safari, people think twice before doing so. No more of 'highlight-on-lets-overtake' kind of maneuver by others on a two-way road, no cyclist jumping, nothing. (exceptions to this do exist).
Old 15th May 2011, 19:20   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Luke,

Nothing to do with the transition itself, but how people perceive the two vehicle. With the Alto, I have to make way for everyone and everything, from the trucks to man on foot - right of way be damed!

But with the Safari, people think twice before doing so. No more of 'highlight-on-lets-overtake' kind of maneuver by others on a two-way road, no cyclist jumping, nothing. (exceptions to this do exist).
But with the Safari, people think twice before doing so. No more of 'highlight-on-lets-overtake' kind of maneuver by others on a two-way road, no cyclist jumping, nothing. (exceptions to this do exist).[/quote]

Agree.. Anyone would just jump in front of my Alto. But not usually the case with Safari. Yeah, it has also given my a lil arrogance to change lanes when I am too impatient with bad traffic condition. I couldn't do the same in Alto.

The only beasts, I really really fear on the road is the zipping bikers. They can come at any time and from any side. With an Alto a small accident would slightly knock them off or break their bones. But with a Safari, the impact would be more severe and can even kill that adventurous biker.

Quote:
Lots of interesting discussions that I have missed. Here goes:

Recker,

The way I achieve the 15kmpl is more like the-way-of-the-monk stuff. Very good for the vehicle and also safe, but throughly boring!

Driving by keeping the RPM @ 2000, the speed will be hovering around 80-90kmph. You will get the best mileage, your braking will be low, you will have enough time to react and you will definitely enjoy the route you are taking and the stress-free driving. BUT - you are prone to dooze off!!!
Ok.. Point taken..

Quote:
The stock lights are, IMHO, a hazard! It would have served well if we had everyone driving on 55/60W and on low beam and the highways were well lit, but for the tarred jungle we have we need to be better prepared. I have 100/130W on mine.
100/130W??? Wow!! Which company? What cost? and hope is fits well into the existing socket.

Quote:
And 4th gear, 1500rpm? Lugging the engine? Please dont.
Sorry, didnt understand much. A sedate driving at 5th gear at 70 would hover the RPM around 1500... isnt it?

Quote:
During an personal emergency, had to spend 3 nights in the Safari. 6~7 hours with engine and a/c running in a wide open hospital parking lot. Did not notice any major deviation on the mileage on subsequent re-fueling.
Re-phrasing my question. What is the diesel consumption per hour if we leave Safari on idling with AC ON?
Old 15th May 2011, 19:59   #63
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the SAFARI club. The car looks awesome. Make sure you post your pictures on the SAFARI Owners thread to seal your entry into the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Around 4 kms before reaching home, the small yellow indicator in the fuel indicator started glowing. Checking the manual back at home, suggested it is the low fuel indicator. That was pretty strange because the fuel gauge was still away from the Red Zone.
Went to the HP Petrol bunk, spent a princely Rs. 2300 to get it fully tanked. Fuel intake was 53.34 litres. The manual says that the fuel tank capacity is 65 liters. so looks like the "Low Fuel Indicator" got triggered even with 12 liters in the belly. Do we get the low fuel indication so early or is it malfunctioning?
Any advice, folks?
The same thing happens in mine too. The low fuel warning light comes on while its still a long way to reach the read line on the fuel guage, and mysteriously disappers when the needle is actually at red on the fuel guage.

Hope other owners can throw some light on this one

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th May 2011 at 11:13. Reason: merged posts. Please use the edit option when posting within 30mins.
Old 15th May 2011, 20:52   #64
BHPian

@Happy wheels, you are a man of real patience. How could you keep the needle at 2000 rpm when you know how much is left under your foot. But what i like at 2000 rpm is, the engine become as quiet as the crowd when sachin gets out. It works its best on non express way. On a open highway, its too much to ignore what it is capable of when you see some altos go past you.

@The Arun, Expect around 12 on highways with some driving pleasure and ride comfort. Precise why you picked up a safari.
On the fuel warning light, well the calibration is not very standard. It sometimes lights up when you do continous driving and stops when you stop the engine and restart. But when its in reserve, the light simply stays on. That is your sign of warning to tank up.

Last edited by blackbeast : 15th May 2011 at 20:56. Reason: adding more to the content
Old 15th May 2011, 22:45   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
100/130W??? Wow!! Which company? What cost? and hope is fits well into the existing socket.
Sorry, didnt understand much. A sedate driving at 5th gear at 70 would hover the RPM around 1500... isnt it?
Re-phrasing my question. What is the diesel consumption per hour if we leave Safari on idling with AC ON?
Headlight:
Philips Rally bulbs rated at 100/130. Reckon I paid Rs.130 per bulb.

Got hold of Roots relay kit. This comes with the relay, wiring and holders all neatly done. Rs.800.

Wiring for the relay was done directly to the batter terminal and a earthing point. Since the relay has its own fuse, hence safe.

This is the end result of the upgrade:

Got my black Safari Delivered-safari_hl_03.jpg

The sleeve on the right side is used to group the wires; the thick black wire besides it is the earthing wire leading to a body point.

The packing inside - stock female plugged to relay kits male (this acts as the controller), relay female attached to the 100/130 bulb:
Got my black Safari Delivered-safari_hl_02.jpg

You will notice that all cutting and joining are to be made only to the kit and the stock wiring should will not be touched.

For the driving, I am confused and am in no position to check as of now. Will let others comment.

And for the rephrased question, not sure of the liters used, hence let me give you a rephased answer - after the said 3 nights, my refueling calculation gave me 11.5kmpl against the expeceted 12kmpl. But this might have also been due to the short quick runs I did. Bottom line - negligible amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
@Happy wheels, you are a man of real patience. How could you keep the needle at 2000 rpm when you know how much is left under your foot. But what i like at 2000 rpm is, the engine become as quiet as the crowd when sachin gets out. It works its best on non express way. On a open highway, its too much to ignore what it is capable of when you see some altos go past you...
Hello there BlackBeast:
Even when others go past you when you are cruising, you get the smirk on your face as if saying 'lets the kids play'! But, honestly, when I used to drive the Alto, I was more a spirited driver than with the Safari!
Old 16th May 2011, 09:39   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The same thing happens in mine too. The low fuel warning light comes on while its still a long way to reach the read line on the fuel guage, and mysteriously disappers when the needle is actually at red on the fuel guage.

Hope other owners can throw some light on this one
It blinks once and then goes permanent but always remember that the fuel will finish 2 mm before the needle actually reaches the Empty mark,. when the needle reaches half way through the RED line, only 5 ltrs are left.

When it first blinks apprx 12-13 ltrs are present in the tank. You can travel 120-130kms max till tank dries out.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:01   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Luke,

Agree 110% here with HappyWheels. The Safari seems to get right of way with most road users, exceptions ofcourse are there. I feel it much easier to keep overtaking, find spaces between two vehicles in the midst of overtaking, two wheelers move out of way etc etc
Cars ahead always move more to the left when they see you in the mirror and let you pass easily.

Definitely, the Safari has very good road presence and commands respect. I drive very spiritedly even today and push her real hard especially when road is open. She can dance really well when doing overtaking maneuvers at high speeds, and there aren't many to challenge her. The only ones that occasionally give a tough fight is a real good driver on a fast sedan - Safari isn't a match there, but when a hump comes up or bad roads start, she zooms past the sedan!!!!!
Old 16th May 2011, 13:33   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Headlight:
Philips Rally bulbs rated at 100/130. Reckon I paid Rs.130 per bulb.

Got hold of Roots relay kit. This comes with the relay, wiring and holders all neatly done. Rs.800.

Wiring for the relay was done directly to the batter terminal and a earthing point. Since the relay has its own fuse, hence safe.

This is the end result of the upgrade:

Attachment 545557

The sleeve on the right side is used to group the wires; the thick black wire besides it is the earthing wire leading to a body point.

The packing inside - stock female plugged to relay kits male (this acts as the controller), relay female attached to the 100/130 bulb:
Attachment 545571

You will notice that all cutting and joining are to be made only to the kit and the stock wiring should will not be touched.

For the driving, I am confused and am in no position to check as of now. Will let others comment.

And for the rephrased question, not sure of the liters used, hence let me give you a rephased answer - after the said 3 nights, my refueling calculation gave me 11.5kmpl against the expeceted 12kmpl. But this might have also been due to the short quick runs I did. Bottom line - negligible amount.

Hello there BlackBeast:
Even when others go past you when you are cruising, you get the smirk on your face as if saying 'lets the kids play'! But, honestly, when I used to drive the Alto, I was more a spirited driver than with the Safari!

Are you able to close back cover after installing relay
Old 16th May 2011, 15:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
Are you able to close back cover after installing relay
The first photo is of the lamp case closed after the upgrade.

The relay unit is placed well back inside the engine back (yes, it is tied down in this photo). The fuse is also visible.

Got my black Safari Delivered-imag0117.jpg
Old 16th May 2011, 20:37   #70
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed info HappyWheels.
Was it a DIY exercise?
Old 16th May 2011, 22:26   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed info HappyWheels.
Was it a DIY exercise?
Oh yes! A mini-Yoga DIY!

Have posted the details now @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2354028
Old 18th May 2011, 17:06   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello there BlackBeast:
HW - I couldnt help having a quiet smile and chuckle to myself when i read this. More so, because, i have exactly the same feeling when i see the sedans zip past me on the highways.
Old 18th May 2011, 20:25   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
HW - I couldnt help having a quiet smile and chuckle to myself when i read this. More so, because, i have exactly the same feeling when i see the sedans zip past me on the highways.

Not sure whether the Safari has made or you mature, or you have grown Old.. .
Somehow I dont feel good when sedans zip past me.. But honestly, there are not many who can overtake a Safari on a straight wide 4 lane highway.

I was off for a drive on Old Madras road towards Kolar and the only vehicle who overtook me was a BMW.
Old 20th May 2011, 10:36   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure whether the Safari has made or you mature, or you have grown Old..
Lets for the moment stay with the Safari making me mature, dont want to be going down the path of being old.

Honestly, i very rarely touch the 140 mark. I am more comfortable between the 110-120 mark. And this certainly makes me see the Vernas, Fiestas, Cruze, i20's of the world zip past.

I think we are hijacking this thread enough on overtaking. We should get back to your Black Safari ..

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 20th May 2011 at 10:40.
Old 20th May 2011, 17:20   #75
BHPian

COngrats recker on you new aquisition..just out of curiousity, ids there any reason you didn't consider the scorpio?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks