Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2013, 20:08   #106
BHPian

Hi everyone, Back after a while.18.5k kms on the odo now. all izz well.

Been wanting to share this for a while, but was still validating it thru multiple experiences.

I have been observing that one of the most excited and enthused lot that admire the 'JEEP' on the road are children:-). This is a real good feeling when they start telling their family members pointing towards Thar. Not sure about others, this one certainly makes me feel very elated! Once I had a 3-4yr old tell his grandpa loudly on the road, "Tatha see jeep, see jeep". Today I had a van load of school children turn their heads and exclaim to each other. That's what made me write this finally.

Just sharing a feeling that is exclusive in a streets full of automobiles and I am a proud owner of that head turner! Good job Behram Sir and team! However much we talk about its shortcomings, they get overlooked when you start driving one;-)

About the Thar: she's running fine. Hyderabad hard top is doing very well. Still have some air leaks, but have not bothered to plug them. The gap between the glass rear hatch and the thar door is the biggest one. Maybe I have to find a thick beading and try and fix it, anyone one else who has fixed this, please do share your idea. Thanks in advance.

There has been no progress in getting the brakes upgraded as be ASC does not know about it from the "factory". If Vinod can take the lead and help this process I am sure a lot of us will benefit. But not the expensive option though, maybe something like what Rajith has done would do.

Nice to see a lot of Thars on the road now a days. Congratulations to all the new owners.
Tha'Red is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 20:28   #107
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar - my initial ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red View Post
I have been observing that one of the most excited and enthused lot that admire the 'JEEP' on the road are children:-). This is a real good feeling when they start telling their family members pointing towards Thar. Not sure about others, this one certainly makes me feel very elated! Once I had a 3-4yr old tell his grandpa loudly on the road, "Tatha see jeep, see jeep". Today I had a van load of school children turn their heads and exclaim to each other. That's what made me write this finally.
Totally OT. Hope the mods wouldn't mind.
But certain moments in life are priceless, like this one.
I don't recollect posting in any Thar related thread. But I know for sure, how much of passion and hard-work has gone into creating the Thar that today it is..by DB sir, Spike and the team. I only wish, if M&M management had given them a free hand at that.
Old 8th February 2013, 21:49   #108
Senior - BHPian

My opinion

Quote:

Been wanting to share this for a while, but was still validating it thru multiple experiences.

------ That's what made me write this finally.

However much we talk about its shortcomings, they get overlooked when you start driving one;-)
I have stopped posting on all Thar threads because of the lousy / whining attitude I see in most posts these days. Sure, the product may have its drawbacks, there may be criticism but there is a way of putting things forward. I usually stay away, but Jeeva's post caught my attention, I knew there was something here.

But, having been a part of the team, seeing comments like these bring a smile across our faces, hence cannot resist from posting here.

Quote:
About the Thar: she's running fine. Hyderabad hard top is doing very well. Still have some air leaks, but have not bothered to plug them. The gap between the glass rear hatch and the thar door is the biggest one.
Leak from the Hyderabad hard top (HHT) ? I presume that's a result of having multiple sub-assemblies in the design. Always a problem with such designs, specially FRP parts. Can you post some pictures?

Quote:
There has been no progress in getting the brakes upgraded as be ASC does not know about it from the "factory". If Vinod can take the lead and help this process I am sure a lot of us will benefit. But not the expensive option though, maybe something like what Rajith has done would do.
If I may ask, why don't you ask Rajith? He is in Bangalore, and I guess you are too ! I know he can help. When he was doing the upgrade, we (me and DB Sir) had helped him with the process, there is no point in repeating the exercise again. I think he has posted the details elsewhere on the forum. Still, if you do not get any leads, get in touch with me via PM, I will revert back.

To be frank, the brakes are not "bad" as being projected. I talked to an owner of a Thar he said "Initially, after listening to people and reading the posts on the forum, I also thought brakes will be poor, but when I started using them , I found them to be just fine. However, it would have been better to have more powerful brakes" - which I agree.

Quote:
Nice to see a lot of Thars on the road now a days. Congratulations to all the new owners.
Today, the one month sales figure is roughly 30% more than the sales forecast for a year. I don't think there needs any more clarification regarding its success. A slap on the face of all those who wrote off this product.

More such products may come and go, some may be much better too, but the circumstances in which this was developed, will seldom be replicated. We had a Anna Hazare in our team too - fighting against all odds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
But certain moments in life are priceless, like this one.
Yeah man, you said it. Not many get to experience such feelings, I consider myself lucky to be one among them.

You know pretty well what went behind the scenes.

Quote:
But I know for sure, how much of passion and hard-work has gone into creating the Thar that today it is..by DB sir, Spike and the team. I only wish, if M&M management had given them a free hand at that.
How I wish !!

But I know that is life, no point in cribbing, life goes on...

Spike

PS- I also came to know of some purists, who were against the IFS, who have now gone all praises for the IFS after owning one.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 8th February 2013 at 22:10.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 08:33   #109
Senior - BHPian

Spikey, Welcome aboard - Maybe we should have another thread on design issues as well as the problems faced in manufacturing using existing parts bin?

Any feedback from the BAOTR2013 about THAR performance on that terrain? I have some
Old 24th July 2013, 19:04   #110
BHPian

Update after a while:

My Thar is 2yrs & 4 months old with 23k Kms on the odo. Absolutely no issues in running and its my daily commute companion. Its being serviced every 5-6k Kms and only routine consumables changed. HHT after the recent service and with the wind leaks plugged, is keeping the cabin very quiet....now I hear wind noise through the front door gaps! Some noise is good I believe for a jeep feeling:-)! Water seepage from the hatch has considerably reduced after some foam tape was added to the gaps.

Have Changed the front bumper and side steps to the Mahindra Expedition ones, added auxiliary lights in the front, removed the awful OE number plates, fitted a clutch pipe guard from swastik fabs, got JEEP lettered front seat covers from the US......some small kicks & thrills in mods. I like the MM5XX looks it has and don't want to change it too much.

Am still awaiting brake upgrade to be done through the ASC, still chasing them. Since i have dropped normal driving speeds to 80 & below, brakes do feel ok. It's only at higher speeds that I miss better ones. Spike, if nothing happens on the upgrade within the next few weeks, will PM you. Rajith mentioned a while ago that the folks from coimbatore who did his brake upgrade have been busy and he will revert after checking.

Been thinking about installing dampmat for the doors. Not sure though. Anyone with experience of using them can advise its usefulness, please.

Overall, am very happy with my Thar and enjoy her ride every bit, feel cool about the attention she gets from everyone (especially kids) and She has been a worthwhile expense for me.

That's it for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar - my initial ownership report-image1192967681.jpg  

Tha'Red is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 19:41   #111
Senior - BHPian

Looks great with that new bumper,how much did you pay for it?
Old 24th July 2013, 21:25   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Looks great with that new bumper,how much did you pay for it?
It's Rs.10299/- and available through any ASC.
Old 24th July 2013, 22:20   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Overall, am very happy with my Thar and enjoy her ride every bit
Hi Tha'Red, Good to see the testimony! Your ride looks nice and the front bumper does make a difference to the looks.

Some more detailed pictures can keep us happy
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 15:09   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
9-10kmpl is bad, should definitely improve by at least 25%, soon, with the correct driving style.
Was there any improvement in the mileage from 9 -10 kmpl ? I'm a new 1 week old proud owner of Thar and I'm also getting 9 - 10 kmpl. Any tips on improving it as in driving style changes?
Old 13th August 2013, 21:19   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDiesel View Post

Was there any improvement in the mileage from 9 -10 kmpl ? I'm a new 1 week old proud owner of Thar and I'm also getting 9 - 10 kmpl. Any tips on improving it as in driving style changes?
Congrats on your Thar TuxDiesel, drive safe.
Yes, have been getting 10-12 kmpl after staying within the 80kmph speeds for most part of my driving. No other change in driving style for me per se.
Old 13th August 2013, 21:57   #116
BHPian

10-12 with AC in on the highway I guess ?
Old 14th August 2013, 06:16   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
10-12 with AC in on the highway I guess ?
Kind of, since my drive to work is 70% on a toll-way. Hardly any gear changes once I'm on it. Longer distances with steady speeds may yield better I feel.
Old 26th August 2013, 22:12   #118

Quote:
Kind of, since my drive to work is 70% on a toll-way. Hardly any gear changes once I'm on it. Longer distances with steady speeds may yield better I feel.

Looks like you have upgraded the tyres to Yokohama Geolanders AT. Could you let me know the size of the tyres and the tyre pressure you maintain.
Old 27th August 2013, 16:48   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoy View Post

Looks like you have upgraded the tyres to Yokohama Geolanders AT. Could you let me know the size of the tyres and the tyre pressure you maintain.
Renoy, the tyres are 235/70/16 Geolander AT and run with 32psi air pressure. I did try 31 and 33 psi also, but 32 was most suitable.
Old 28th August 2013, 14:21   #120

Thanks Chief! You're maintaining the same tyre pressure in the front and back?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks