Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2011, 00:03   #31
BHPian

Re: White Ford Figo 1.4 Tdci - The Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
There is no wiring available in the vehicle, atleast not in my vehicle. You will need to draw 1 wire (+ve) from the headlamp switch to the rear of the vehicle. You can tap the earth from the rear cluster wiring itself.

Some testing will need to be done on the headlamp switch with a multimeter to understand its working before you do the wiring.

If you are unsure, then I will recommend using a reputed car electrician.
Inspiring from your thread I have bought Hella 700FF from Pune Few Days ago. I decided to make a removable installation of those lamps. We (me and My installer) studied a Front Bumper removed Accident Figo at ASC and Found that Dog bar (behind plastic part where number plate is Fixed) has two holes at 11.5" and 14.5" from centre on both sides. We Finalized to fix brackets on that holes. We got nuts welded on those holes so that bolts will pass through them. Drilled holes to Black plastic parts so that bolts will pass through them. Got brackets fabricated and now a removable assembly of Brackets and Lamps Fitted on that is ready which can be Fixed within 5 mins. Got wiring done in engine bay also and tested with charging yellow wire by direct battery contact now lamps get on with this trigger.

The only problem remaining to complete the installation is attaching Yellow wire to either Rear Fog Lamp terminal or Tap green wire (supplied with hella) to battery, take both wires inside cabin and have switch between Green & Yellow wires to make lamp on/off. I need your help in this. Can you provide me Following information ?

1. From which place you have taken wires inside the cabin. My installer could not find place to take wires inside cabin.

2. From which place you have tapped Rear Fog Lamp connection. is it inside cabin or it is inside engine bay. If you could give photographs of same will be more beneficial. To use unused rear fog lamp position is my First priority if it fails then I will think of putting switch provided with Hellas.

3. If at all Hella switch is to be fitted please elaborate how it is to be done since you have done it also. I would like to fit it in empty slots near rear defogger switch on dash since its most convenient place.

Hope you will help by finding out some time from your busy schedule. This is the only final part remaining to make them operational.
Old 23rd October 2011, 03:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
For the fog-lamp, 1 wire had to be drawn from the head-light/ fog-light switch. Some testing had to be done on this switch with a multi-meter.

Hope this clarifies your queries.
Hopefully you can help me with my foglamps query. My aug 2011 manufactured figo has a switch for the rear fog lamps and even a yellow colour indicator light in the dashboard when switched on. But there is no light at the back. How can I install one?

I'm guessing since the switch is present along with the main headlamps knob the wiring will also be present..

My dealer seems to have no idea about rear foglamps.

Thanks!
Old 23rd October 2011, 19:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Hopefully you can help me with my foglamps query. My aug 2011 manufactured figo has a switch for the rear fog lamps and even a yellow colour indicator light in the dashboard when switched on. But there is no light at the back. How can I install one?

I'm guessing since the switch is present along with the main headlamps knob the wiring will also be present..

My dealer seems to have no idea about rear foglamps.

Thanks!
Yes EagleEye, LaxmanRK has done it twice. Once for rear foglamps and second time he connected his Hellas on that switch. ASC guys are afraid of Ford so they dont disclose how switch is connected and where those wires are going. They feel proud to hide these details from customer otherwise they simply threat "warranty will be void if you tamper with it". So help from persons like LaxamanRK elaborating where these wires are going and from where to tap out the unused switch position is of great value. Hope he finds time for it from his busy schedules.
Old 24th October 2011, 10:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • Alloys -195/55R15 Yokohamas - uni-directionals on ultra-lightweight alloys. The overall tyre+wheel weight was incredibly light in comparison to the stock tyre+wheels.
Here are the pictures of the car
How much does your alloy tyre combo weigh?
Old 24th October 2011, 20:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Yes EagleEye, LaxmanRK has done it twice. Once for rear foglamps and second time he connected his Hellas on that switch. ASC guys are afraid of Ford so they dont disclose how switch is connected and where those wires are going. They feel proud to hide these details from customer otherwise they simply threat "warranty will be void if you tamper with it". So help from persons like LaxamanRK elaborating where these wires are going and from where to tap out the unused switch position is of great value. Hope he finds time for it from his busy schedules.
Thanks for the reply whitelion. I hope he can, as I would like to do it / get it done.

BTW, are the rear fog lamps only meant to go into the brake light cluster or can I install it in the black part of the rear bumper where the reflectors currently are?
I suppose the reflectors area is a better location for rear fogs functionally and cosmetically. Of course, my requirement is purely cosmetic of course..
Old 29th November 2011, 13:20   #36
BHPian

Dear Whitelion/ EagleEye

I am extremely sorry for the long delay in updating my thread.

Work has been intense!

Since, both EagleEye and Whitelion's queries are related to the head-light switch, let me try and answer step-wise:

Now, there is no wire running from the headlamp/ fog-lamp switch to the rear of the car. You will need to run 1 wire (+ve) from this switch to the rear light cluster (Fog-lamps in case of whitelion). -ve or earth can be tapped near the light cluster itself.

If you have an engineer or some one who keeps groping electronics around the house as a friend, he will definitely have a multi-meter.

Now, remove the headlamp/ foglight switch off the dash-board.

Then, you will need to use the multi-meter to test the different pins on the rear of the switch to understand how it works.

There is 1 wire in the set of wires that attach to this switch that goes to the dashboard cluster. This turns the additional orange light in the dashboard 'on' when you pull the switch the second time! You need to tap that wire and send this to your new fog-lamp.

In EagleEye's case this will need to attached to the wire that goes to the rear light cluster.

Hope, I have been of suitable help!

In my car, I have done a few additional things! Also it has completed 31k and its third service

Shall try and update on these in the next 2~3 days, if I can make some time that is!
Old 30th November 2011, 10:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Whitelion/ EagleEye

I am extremely sorry for the long delay in updating my thread.

Work has been intense!

Yes !!! I can understand.

Since, both EagleEye and Whitelion's queries are related to the head-light switch, let me try and answer step-wise:

Now, there is no wire running from the headlamp/ fog-lamp switch to the rear of the car. You will need to run 1 wire (+ve) from this switch to the rear light cluster (Fog-lamps in case of whitelion). -ve or earth can be tapped near the light cluster itself.

If you have an engineer or some one who keeps groping electronics around the house as a friend, he will definitely have a multi-meter.

I have one good quality multimeter lying in my office.

Now, remove the headlamp/ foglight switch off the dash-board.

Then, you will need to use the multi-meter to test the different pins on the rear of the switch to understand how it works.

There is 1 wire in the set of wires that attach to this switch that goes to the dashboard cluster. This turns the additional orange light in the dashboard 'on' when you pull the switch the second time! You need to tap that wire and send this to your new fog-lamp.

In EagleEye's case this will need to attached to the wire that goes to the rear light cluster.

Hope, I have been of suitable help!

In my car, I have done a few additional things! Also it has completed 31k and its third service

Shall try and update on these in the next 2~3 days, if I can make some time that is!

Surely, we will be eagerly waiting for that
I think we have to cut the wire going to Orange light and have a "Y" connection there or just peel off insulation and do a "T" connection there. I will check with a mechanic.

BTW You have upgraded Hella lamp bulbs to 100 W which make you opted for ?
Hella OEM or something else ? Since Hella also has 100W bulbs. I am planning to upgrade the bulbs since I feel I am not getting the desired illumination for long distance visibility which I expected.

I have made a detachable arrangement and using them on need basis rest of the time the lamps are resting below front seats So looks/dynamics etc. etc. is not hampered and no worries about theft. Its just 5 mins job to attach/detach to/from body with 4 bolts and connecting 2 wiring harnesses.
Old 30th November 2011, 20:09   #38
BHPian

Well, the car has just completed 31,000kms and its coming to almost a year since we took delivery of our Figo.

So thought it ideal to give another small report on the car and issues we faced.

At the last service the steering rack was replaced under warranty and at this service it was the rear wheel bearing.

At around 29k kms the car started making this whining noise from the rear, so I was quite sure it was one of the wheel bearing.

After the wheel bearing was replaced, the ABS light was on constantly.

Next day the car was sent again to Fortune Ford and they rectified the problem in an hour or so.

Basically the car has ABS sensors on all four wheels and the sensor was dirty due to grease/ grime. They did some clean up and the problem was solved.

There is one new problem that has cropped up since 28k kms, request the gurus to give some in-sight on this unique problem

When we start to release the clutch in 1st gear from a stand still, the gear lever jumps back to neutral. This causes a sudden jerk and a loud booming noise. This happens very rarely and once in say a week or so. This has happened when the car is warm and also when the car is cold, so I am unable to comprehend what could be wrong.

Otherwise the car has only got smoother and is always a pleasure to drive.

Some interior pictures showing the minor tweaks:

1) The original location of the Hella Fog-lamp and horn toggle switch - yet to source a blank to replace old blanks.
2) DIY on the Headlamp switch with integrated switch for the Hella fog-lights
3) New location of the horn toggle switch - under the steering binnacle.
Attached Thumbnails
White Ford Figo 1.4 Tdci - The Shocker-img2011113000118.jpg  

White Ford Figo 1.4 Tdci - The Shocker-img2011113000119.jpg  

White Ford Figo 1.4 Tdci - The Shocker-img2011113000120.jpg  

Old 4th January 2012, 13:32   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Hey whitelion

The Hellas I have are Hella 700FF and were sourced at around 5k/-
The kit includes the following:

2 700FF lamps with 60W bulbs (H3)
Wiring
Relay
switch

Basically everything you need for the install.

The only thing I had to get made locally from a welder was a piece of metal (bracket) for fitting the lights on the vehicle. I will try and get a close up image of this.

The original bulbs have been replaced with OSRAM H3 100W bulb sourced from vicky.in

They are not very expensive at 100~150/- a bulb. The site is trustworthy. But they will take a while to get the item to you.

If you own a Figo, then on the dash above the headunit, there are a couple of blanks that's where i ve put the switch. Will post some pictures. I am not happy with this and am on the look out for some good quality automotive switch.

Now to answer your queries:

I have not changed the stock bulbs in either the headlamp or the stock fog lamps.

As for visibility, at various instances I have felt running with only my car's parking lights with the 700FFs adequate for most of my highway stints.

The minute I find someone from the front on high beam, all I have to do is flash my main beam and the guy immediately dips to low beam.

The spread and distance the light covers is exceptional.

Hope that covers all your queries.

I posted the answers here on the thread for the benefit of other bhpinas too.

A good thread Laxmanrk...some questions :
1. Did you fit the Hellas to yr Dad's Octavia ? Any Pictures ?
2. You could have got Hella projecters also, they would have been much smaller and need no cover, so why these FF reflecters ?

I too want to add lights to my Octavia and debating between Projecters and Reflecters

Last edited by rxpaul : 4th January 2012 at 13:34.
Old 4th January 2012, 15:50   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
2. You could have got Hella projecters also, they would have been much smaller and need no cover, so why these FF reflecters ?

I too want to add lights to my Octavia and debating between Projecters and Reflecters
Well I Followed LaxmanRK and opted for 700FF on basis of Cost vs Performance, i.e. I was getting enough illumination @ 5K Than best illumination @ 15K+ with projectors. What I have done is I have improvised LaxmanRK's method of Installation and made it easily removable since my highway/out station night Drives are not much (Once a month). Rest of the time The hellas are lying below Driver & co-px seats. I can fit them with in 5 mins and I am ready to go. Whenever I see that I am on outstation tour and at twilight, there is more than 30/45 mins drive remaining, I fit them and continue the journey. In case of intercity drives there are street lights and lights from other vehicles are also there, similarly speeds are also below 40, In such conditions OEM headLamp's effectiveness is not that important and I drive with them and OEM Fogglamps, I find them to be adequate.

The only LaxmanRK foot step to follow, is adding 100W bulbs to Hellas (@200/-). That I will add soon when I am going to connect hella relay to empty slot for rear fog lamps in Main Head Lamp switch. LaxmanRK has given clearcut guidelines but I have not visited A.S.S.C. after that. I do agree that those Hellas hamper looks of Car, thats why I made them detachable so looks are not hampered when they are not in use, and when they are in use its dark so looks are immaterial.
Old 4th January 2012, 16:20   #41
BHPian

Whitelion,
Tks...issue here is that i want to use these on daily basis, only on certain unlit parts/or during 7pm(when street Halogens are'nt bright enough). Basic idea is to spot animals and people running across broad unlit roads (hope you get what i mean). As the 700 FF would be illegal for city use, i am in a fix ! Will other non-branded projecters be less expensive ??
Old 4th January 2012, 16:34   #42
BHPian

I do understand the issue since I return to home between 6:30 to 7:30 on similar road conditions with pathetic figo Head Lamps. What I do is I restrict myself below 50 KMPH so that I can get more reaction time. My daily commute is just 7/8 KM one way so time diff is not significant (Morning 15/20 Mins, evening 20/30 mins).

In your case if distance is more then naturally speed also need to be higher if Road Conditions permit. Otherwise at 40/50 one can get enough reaction time.
Old 4th January 2012, 16:47   #43
BHPian

Distance is the same 7/8 km for me too, but we have got a new riverside roads -Engg college to BEG road (dark road), Deccan college road and onward until vishrantwadi, which are big and broad and sometimes dark. (All these roads are almost as broad as Mum-Pune expressway). It is impossible to drive at 40 on these roads and i am normally at 80 with spurts of 100 kph. PM me when u come to Pune next, we can drive together and i am sure you will be convinced !!
Old 5th January 2012, 17:54   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post

Hey Paul

The hellas I have on the Figo was something I had visualised even before I bought my car. I actually like the look with them.

Another reason for reflectors instead of projectors is cost my friend.

My dad's Octavia has smaller sized Hellas, which is another DIY.

The model is Hella Premium light micro-DE.

Shall post pictures of that too.
Old 6th January 2012, 09:39   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Paul

The hellas I have on the Figo was something I had visualised even before I bought my car. I actually like the look with them.

Another reason for reflectors instead of projectors is cost my friend.

My dad's Octavia has smaller sized Hellas, which is another DIY.

The model is Hella Premium light micro-DE.

Shall post pictures of that too.

Hi Laxmanrk,
Thanks. Yeah my budget is about 7 K max. Pl. post the cost of the micro-DE also. Btw which one among these Hellas is better.
Btw.is it possible to (just a thought) to remove the 2 projecter lights of the Octy(on the extreme ends of the headlamp casing), fit them down on the bumper and replace them with normal bulbs ? Another reason for this thought is because typically Fog lights (the projecters in the Octavia) are always fitted low down in the bumper, whereas in the Octavia, they are in the Headlamp casing...strange !

A problem with the Hellas that they are not city legal or i too would have gone for them straighta way.

Last edited by rxpaul : 6th January 2012 at 09:51.

Most Viewed