Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 15:40   #31
BHPian

Re: An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir

Fantastic pictures with some great views. Which ball did you used to use to play on that cricket ground? Awesome experience it must be to be there. Do post other pictures of off beat places you might have had a chance to live in.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:44   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalsb View Post
There are numerous such places in Jammu & Kashmir which, according to me, can even give Switzerland a run for money.
I have been to Kashmir about 11 or 12 times in my life. I must agree with you whole-heartedly.

Kashmir (Both the Pak border and the eastern border with Ladakh) offer nature with far more drama and beauty than Switzerland.
Old 9th May 2011, 17:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

Fantabulous! Mesmerizing it is. Very truely said that kashmir can give Switzerland a run for its money! What natural beauty and what locales.

Thanks a ton for capturing these snaps and sharing with us.
Loved the corner office one! Makes us IT folks stop for a while and think about things we crib!
Salute to you and others like you in the armed forces.
Old 9th May 2011, 19:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hi Kunal,
Thanks for sharing pics of such a beautiful treasure with us. The pics are mindblowing to say the atleast. Have always read about the trecherous conditions that you guys have to survive in for defending our boundaries, but I know you guys take it as it comes and enjoy the adversity thrown on you. Salute to all you men in the forces.

And this place is freaking awesome. I see a X mark in the first pic of the first post, is it for chopper landing ?
Share some more photos with us. The flower pic is a delight to watch.
Thanks. Yes, the H mark is a helipad. Have already put all my best shots. Searching my disk & 'll definitely share the better ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian20 View Post
Fantastic pictures with some great views. Which ball did you used to use to play on that cricket ground? Awesome experience it must be to be there. Do post other pictures of off beat places you might have had a chance to live in.
We played with a tennis/rubber ball. Actually living at such places for a long time makes you get used to the beauty of the place & believe me, there's no place like home.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th May 2011 at 13:59.
Old 9th May 2011, 19:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

@kunalsb - You can make use of the Quote+ button to select multiple posts that you want to quote in your reply in one go. Not sure if you are aware of the feature so thought would make your job easier.

Sorry for the interruption and Off Topic post.
Old 9th May 2011, 22:01   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalsb View Post
Food for thought Glancing through the photos, one can appreciate the beauty of this place. There are numerous such places in Jammu & Kashmir which, according to me, can even give Switzerland a run for money. Unfortunately the current political situation has made these places inaccessible to the common man. Let’s just hope that there comes a day soon when peace will return and the pristine beauty of these places is available for all to enjoy.
Very true, my dad is serving in Kashmir and i think the true beauty of the place is hidden under an ugly mask of terrorism, i hope for peace, quickly.
And good shots, never seen a place so far away from urbanism. Is it snow covered always ?
Old 10th May 2011, 09:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

those are some fantastic pics of remote places in J&K. No doubt J&K have some really beautiful hidden place yet to be showcased.

Please post many more pics
Old 10th May 2011, 10:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Very true, my dad is serving in Kashmir and i think the true beauty of the place is hidden under an ugly mask of terrorism, i hope for peace, quickly.
And good shots, never seen a place so far away from urbanism. Is it snow covered always ?
This place has snow only during winters (Nov-Mar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
those are some fantastic pics of remote places in J&K. No doubt J&K have some really beautiful hidden place yet to be showcased.

Please post many more pics
Have already posted my best shots. Will check & try to post the better ones.
kunalsb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 11:56   #39
BHPian

Fantastic pictures. Its truly Heaven on Earth. Having taken the basic amenities of life granted, it makes us really wonder how the residents of these areas make do with so little.

Apart from the landscape pics, do you have any pics of the people and other habitat pics? It would give us an idea of the way of life of the local people.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Location ? All I can remember is told by me, now that was good 45 yrs ago. Even Jawahar Tunnel was newly built that time.
There is another village I remember it is KUD. & another village by name BATOTE. Regards.....
Mattan is closer to Srinagar- around an hour's drive from there. It is an idyllic destination with the usual scenic surroundings Kashmir has to offer. It is a part of the Kashmir valley which means you have to cross THE tunnel to access it.

It has a very famous temple with the idol and sanctum sanctorum placed right in the middle of a pond. Quite a few pilgrims visit it on their way back from Amarnath.

Kud is a stopover enroute to Srinagar from Jammu and is famous for its sweets; actually just one type of sweet - the pedha.

Batote is a detour from the highway and falls enroute only if you are on your way to Doda, Kishtwar or Bhaderwah. (Incidentally, Bhaderwah is a must see. I found it more beautiful and quaint than Gulmarg or Pahalgam. For reference, watch the film 'Noorie'. It was shot there).

@Kunalsb, what is the name of the village that you have captured?
Old 10th May 2011, 13:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Kud is a stopover enroute to Srinagar from Jammu and is famous for its sweets; actually just one type of sweet - the pedha.
That is Patissa
Quote:
Batote is a detour from the highway and falls enroute only if you are on your way to Doda, Kishtwar or Bhaderwah. (Incidentally, Bhaderwah is a must see. I found it more beautiful and quaint than Gulmarg or Pahalgam. For reference, watch the film 'Noorie'. It was shot there).
But you cross from right in the middle of Batote while going from Kud to Ramban to Jawahar tunnel
Old 10th May 2011, 13:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Emperor Jahangir rightly said "Gar firdaus, ruhe zamin ast, hamin asto, hamin asto, hamin asto" (If there is a heaven on earth, it's here, it's here, it's here).

@Kunalsb.Please post as many pictures as you can.
Old 10th May 2011, 16:40   #43
BHPian

Quote:
@Kunalsb, what is the name of the village that you have captured?
Yeah Kunal, what is the name of this cute village? I will look up on Google Earth. I guess, that's the easiest way to feed my fascination instantly!
And... Great photos! Great captures. Are you still posted in Kashmir by any chance?

Cheers,
Old 10th May 2011, 16:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Emperor Jahangir rightly said "Gar firdaus, ruhe zamin ast, hamin asto, hamin asto, hamin asto" (If there is a heaven on earth, it's here, it's here, it's here)..
THis was by Umar Khayyam, the 12th century poet from Persia. No greater compliment to any place than these words
Old 10th May 2011, 16:54   #45
BHPian

Dear Kunal,

Your post just flooded me with nostalgia!! I may not have been to the village you mentioned but was in Reasi, Rajouri, Mendhar, Poonch, Surankot, from '85-'88 and 95'-97-those huts with snow -boy I would love to go back. Walked miles and miles in the same terrain-enjoyed the snow falling on your face but hated it when it starts to melt.
The people-the actual ones-in the deepest villages-great -always welcome into their homes-no malice-warm hearts. Thank you for bringing back memories-some where along the way our politics ruined a beautiful Country.

Jude

Last edited by Judemayne : 10th May 2011 at 16:55. Reason: grammar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks