Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 18:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Road To the Sea. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore. Again!

Suhaas,

A simply amazing travelogue.Foodies guide to goa!Two things I must tell you:

1.I simply loved the yellow suitcase/bag that was packed in the car.I am quite an avid collector of these things and it was a standout.Believe me.

2.Mum's kitchen is exorbitant from your review and I was shocked looking at the portions.There was hardly anything in those servings.I guess this is how the restaurant industry is making their money in India-reduce quantity of servings,increase price,and spread the word that "we are exclusive" and people will flock!

Thanks a ton for writing out the details and yes the kmpl that the Jazz returned was very impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
will try amboli-danoli-banda route avoiding sawantwadi.
Is this the road which goes left after descending Amboli with a board which says Panjim?If yes,than that is fit for off-roading.A friend went that way in an Indica thinking that it was the correct route and literally didnt know how to get out of the road!
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 23:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

Suhaas, I am out of words. Brilliant travelogue, very well written and the incorporation of the pictures with the words is just flawless.Absolutely worth the wait plus the mood which the log portrays is so amazingly Goa that I feel like just taking off, right NOW.

Thanks for the Jazz review as well, i was really surprised how it handled all that luggage and the bad roads, wish it came with the 1.5.

edit: Just saw the detailed comparison above, havent read it yet though. Am still stuck on page one and havent read anything apart from that.

I saw Martin's the last time I went to Goa but missed it, now I realize I shouldnt have anyways there is always a next time .

Before my next trip to Goa, you are getting a call.

p.s. Wish there were more stars to rate the thread with.

Last edited by sammyboy : 12th October 2011 at 23:38.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 12:13   #48
BHPian

Mr. Suhaas thank you so much for this travelogue. Have always loved the write-ups where ride gets as much importance as the trip. Loved it.

You are definitely a foodie & looks like your folks are as passionate about it as you are!!

Have already starting planning for my 1st Goa road-trip.

And yeah wish I could rate it more than *****.
Me-hul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 15:20   #49
BHPian

Suhaas and other bhpians suggest some good stay in Goa. Planning to go in month of May !!
Old 13th October 2011, 20:29   #50
BHPian

Wow!! One of the best Travelogue i have read in T-Bhp. I am planning to visit Goa during my holidays next month, i don't have to look further, i have everything here.
Great job, just loved reading it,wonderful narration and special thanks for posting Pics of Jazz holding those suitcases, that will help me convincing my wife in buying this car..

5*'s from myside.
maximus. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 20:36   #51
BHPian

Already a 5* thread. Not much to left to say. Just one word WOW.

A different view to look at Goa.

I was enjoying the Food rating even though i am a Vegi.

Yes Jazz can take whatever you want to load.
scrooze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 20:40   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Suhaas,

A simply amazing travelogue.Foodies guide to goa!Two things I must tell you:

1.I simply loved the yellow suitcase/bag that was packed in the car.I am quite an avid collector of these things and it was a standout.Believe me.

2.Mum's kitchen is exorbitant from your review and I was shocked looking at the portions.There was hardly anything in those servings.I guess this is how the restaurant industry is making their money in India-reduce quantity of servings,increase price,and spread the word that "we are exclusive" and people will flock!

Thanks a ton for writing out the details and yes the kmpl that the Jazz returned was very impressive.

Is this the road which goes left after descending Amboli with a board which says Panjim?If yes,than that is fit for off-roading.A friend went that way in an Indica thinking that it was the correct route and literally didnt know how to get out of the road!
Thank you Ranjit!

Yes, that suitcase really is a lovely thing. happens to be my mother's and was picked up at one of the sales at United Colours of Benetton.

The portions of the dishes served at Mum's Kitchen aren't very small. But they are very rich and will make you feel very full. That chicken, in particular, is actually very filling. I loved the Chicken Xacuti curry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Suhaas, I am out of words. Brilliant travelogue, very well written and the incorporation of the pictures with the words is just flawless.Absolutely worth the wait plus the mood which the log portrays is so amazingly Goa that I feel like just taking off, right NOW.

Thanks for the Jazz review as well, i was really surprised how it handled all that luggage and the bad roads, wish it came with the 1.5.

edit: Just saw the detailed comparison above, havent read it yet though. Am still stuck on page one and havent read anything apart from that.

I saw Martin's the last time I went to Goa but missed it, now I realize I shouldnt have anyways there is always a next time .

Before my next trip to Goa, you are getting a call.

p.s. Wish there were more stars to rate the thread with.
Wow that is just much too much praise Samarth!

I'm really happy that you enjoyed it. When I was writing this, you popped into my head, and I knew that if you're impressed, it's a job well done! I'm waiting for your call, mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Mr. Suhaas thank you so much for this travelogue. Have always loved the write-ups where ride gets as much importance as the trip. Loved it.

You are definitely a foodie & looks like your folks are as passionate about it as you are!!

Have already starting planning for my 1st Goa road-trip.

And yeah wish I could rate it more than *****.
Thank you so much mate! Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Suhaas and other bhpians suggest some good stay in Goa. Planning to go in month of May !!
Well, it depends on your budget, and if you'd like a relaxed and chilled out holiday, or one where you'd like to stay out-doors and party hard. You have quite a number of places where you can stay, ranging from 500 a night to 10,000 a night!

May is not exactly season. So places would be relatively cheaper. But it's very very hot in May. i recommend you plan your holiday for sometime from October-February. Everything will be open too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus. View Post
Wow!! One of the best Travelogue i have read in T-Bhp. I am planning to visit Goa during my holidays next month, i don't have to look further, i have everything here.
Great job, just loved reading it,wonderful narration and special thanks for posting Pics of Jazz holding those suitcases, that will help me convincing my wife in buying this car..

5*'s from myside.
Many thanks maximus!

Yes, I recommend the Jazz wholeheartedly. It does have its flaws. But which car doesn't? And as far as I'm concerned, despite it's flaws, it stands out as one of the best cars sold in India today. Call me one-sided, or partial. It's only because I'm in love!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th October 2011 at 20:42.
Old 13th October 2011, 22:01   #53
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Travelogue Suhaas. The snaps of NH4 are amazing. Honda has never gone wrong in Jazz (except initial pricing) and is the best Petrol Hatch in India.

This reminds me of two trips to Goa way way back. Both time, the highways were only two laned with less car traffic. I saw lot of TN lorries (noticed in your photos also) at that time and took their help in route identification.
We took NH4 till Hubli-dharwad and then -Londa (NH4A to ) -Goa. The roads were also good at that time and as you have mentioned some National Permit lorries were very disciplined. Always had food in Kamat and Udupi in Panaji.

I feel some roads are poor due to monsoon. I think it will be relaid soon.

How long did you take to reach Hubli? Any idea about Goa-Karwar-udupi-Mangalore road (NH-17) ?.

Like many, I am now instigated (by you ) to plan a trip to Goa.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 23:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Great Travelogue SS! Enjoyed reading it but I have to admit that I am a novice in understanding that class article. Enjoy and remember that this is just one life...so playtimes back.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 00:22   #55
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Simply great travelogue. You may not have blown a huge amount. You may not have gone to great locations like ladakh or some european place. But you know what appealed to me in this log? It is straight from the heart (and in to the stomach as well!)
And it was nice to see the reflections of the past and present which was a surprise element! Here's 5 stars from my side. This is like one of the small budget super bollywood surprise flick amidst other blockbusters like Ladakh, Kaas etc that's been unfolding here!
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 02:41   #56
BHPian

Suhaas, excellent review and I enjoyed reading an "outsiders" view of of my hometown. It's always nice to read about my little state from a different perspective. We Goans tend to take things for granted, but reading such travelogues makes me glad that I live over here.

As always, what truly makes me happy is to see fellow Team-bhpians have a pleasant and eventful stay in Goa. As mentioned in one of my previous posts on another thread, I'm happy to help out collecting details on places to visit/stay over here in Goa. Sometimes, a "local" contact can help and if I can be of any assistance, I'd be most happy to help out. My profession is such that I'm grateful to have local contacts in many parts of Goa. I'm only a PM away.

By the way, my family and I are planning to do a Goa-Mysore trip sometime during October 24-25 and it is possible that we may visit Bangalore for a day or two. Yes, Bangalore may mean little in terms of a holiday for you Bangy folks, but for us Goans, 'life in the fast lane" (Eagles, anyone?) can give us a break from our usual laid-back lifestyle.

Your brilliant travelogue highlighted another wonderful aspect -- the Jazz. Forget about the Goan food (I get that on a daily basis), what impressed me was the amount of luggage that fitted in your Jazz. Man, wish I had some Rs 6 lakh and I would have rushed to the lone Honda showroom in Goa, rising petrol prices be damned. I'm never tired of admiring and envying the superb cabin/boot space of the Jazz. The great FE is an icing on the cake. Pity that the huge discounts did not boost sales of the Jazz in September.

By the way, the cloth art by staff at Royal Orchid was superb. I should send my reporter to do a story on their creative abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Oh ofcourse. I am the official Goa guide in which ever firm I work in anyways. You dont have my number? PMed it to you.

Over the last weekend a friend called me at 0400 hours on Friday night telling me how awesome the place I recommended to him is. I then told him to check the time. He said yeah I know its early morning and you are Goan and wont mind him calling me at this time. LOL!!
Good to know that you are an unofficial brand ambassador for Goa. I'm now based in Porvorim and used to stay (between 1997 and 2004) near Bal Bhavan in Campal, which is a short distance from Mum's Kitchen. It would be nice to meet you when you are down in Goa. Let me know. Also, I stay barely 300 metres from the highway at Porvorim (near the Porvorim petrol pump). So, in case you guys happen to pass by the area and would like to drop in for a quick chat in the morning (I work in the evenings), you all are most welcome to do so. Kindly PM me 1-2 days in advance and I'll give you my mobile number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
There are a million places to stay in Goa. Depends which part of Goa you are interested in. I normally advise friends to stay away from beaches like Calangute, Colva, etc as they are crowded and not advisable for families (hordes of domestic male tourists visits these beaches and are a pest to families). Beaches such as Benaulim, Sernabatim, Agonda, Betalbatim, Utorda, etc, are a million times better for an enjoyable stay. However, if you want action along the coastline, then beaches like Calangute and Colva would be your best bet.

PM me sometime in March-April if you have queries on your Goa trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus. View Post
Great job, just loved reading it,wonderful narration and special thanks for posting Pics of Jazz holding those suitcases, that will help me convincing my wife in buying this car.
My wife is already convinced on the many benefits of the Jazz. Problem is, I need to find a sponsor or at least, to be a beneficiary in the will of a rich relative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The portions of the dishes served at Mum's Kitchen aren't very small. But they are very rich and will make you feel very full. That chicken, in particular, is actually very filling. I loved the Chicken Xacuti curry.

Yes, I recommend the Jazz wholeheartedly. It does have its flaws. But which car doesn't? And as far as I'm concerned, despite it's flaws, it stands out as one of the best cars sold in India today. Call me one-sided, or partial. It's only because I'm in love!
To be honest, my mother-in-law is convinced that most restaurants in Goa have deviated from the traditional Chicken Xacuti, mainly to cater to popular appetite. The pricier (upmarket) the restaurant, the more distant it is from the traditional Goan recipe. Most traditional Goan dishes are best prepared in homes or in small family-run restaurants, which have basic ambiance. Martin's Corner is one such family-run restaurant which began in a humble way. Fame got the better of them in recent times and they are now highly commercial. We have stopped going to that place a long time ago. For that matter, we rather prefer places like Fisherman's Wharf at Cavelossim for the river-side ambiance or smaller joints that serve close to traditional Goan cuisine. For a nice fish thali in Panjim, we still like Ritz Classic, though it can get very crowded between 1 pm and 2.30 pm due to the office crowd.

Once again, I loved your travelogue of Goa and moreover, your love for your Jazz. Truly, it is "one of the best cars sold in India today" for an Indian family that loves to travel. The Jazz is, in my opinion, the closest to a proper estate/station wagon car (Tate Estate, Palio Adventure, Baleno Altura, Indigo Marina, etc) which, unfortunately, has always struggled in India.
Old 14th October 2011, 03:27   #57
BHPian

Suhaas,

A superb journal, not to mention the juicy pics. All that seafood just kills me.

Cheers.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:49   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
There are a million places to stay in Goa. Depends which part of Goa you are interested in. I normally advise friends to stay away from beaches like Calangute, Colva, etc as they are crowded and not advisable for families (hordes of domestic male tourists visits these beaches and are a pest to families). Beaches such as Benaulim, Sernabatim, Agonda, Betalbatim, Utorda, etc, are a million times better for an enjoyable stay. However, if you want action along the coastline, then beaches like Calangute and Colva would be your best bet.
PM me sometime in March-April if you have queries on your Goa trip.
misquitas and Suhas it was typo.I am NOT planning to go in May. I am planning to go in Dec around 25th this year. Any suggestion on hotel. My budget is around 1.5 to 2.5K on room per day
I want relaxing holiday with less of water sports

Last edited by aka_iitd : 14th October 2011 at 09:53.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:39   #59
BHPian

WOW! Wow! Wow!

you sent me to a flash back.. With my tongue wagging.

Just super.

You have covered everything that any traveller would like to know and more, very crisply with photos and taught's.

The Jazz seemed to be the right car, and is on my list of future cars. Your write-up has strengthen my views on the Jazz.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:45   #60
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

What a brilliant travelogue !!

Reminds me of my trip last year and as GTO mentioned, its time to do the planning again. Boy, you have included each detail and the rating about the food and service was the highlight. Ditto the mention of music. We don't come across such ratings in other travelogues. I'm glad you spared a thought to include those details.

Also the flashback pics are mindblowing. Each and every detail has been very well put together. Brilliant writeup too !!

The Jazz looks beautiful in the pics and your travelogue proves that Jazz is the best hatch money can buy and its worth the extra bit of penny. Would love to see more pics of the Jazz and the sea. And did I mention the alloys on your Jazz look damn hot !!

5*

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks