Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 13:28   #16
BHPian

re: Fauji's Drivologues - Sandur's Splendors, Hampi's Wonders & Darroji's Bears

beautiful pictures! You have this habit of bringing out places not on the usual tourist maps! Great pics and narration.

PS - why do the officials feed sloth bears in the sanctuary? Normally the bears should be left to fend for them in their habitat? no?

Adding a sloth bear pic from our first sloth bear sighting recently to let the thread have a sloth bear pic...

Fauji's Drivologues - Sandur's Splendors, Hampi's Wonders & Darroji's Bears-img_7021_1.jpg

Thanks again for the lovely pics and narrative.
Old 18th June 2012, 14:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fauji's Drivologues - Sandur's Splendors, Hampi's Wonders & Darroji's Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
beautiful pictures! You have this habit of bringing out places not on the usual tourist maps! Great pics and narration.

PS - why do the officials feed sloth bears in the sanctuary? Normally the bears should be left to fend for them in their habitat? no?

Adding a sloth bear pic from our first sloth bear sighting recently to let the thread have a sloth bear pic...

Attachment 942845

Thanks again for the lovely pics and narrative.
Thanks Sachin. I asked the same question to the forest guards. The reason is, the forest type in the sanctuary is shrub based and i hardly saw any big trees. Bears being insectivorous - they love termites - and vegetarians and thrive on fruits like Jack fruits does not find any even though there are some bushes which produce small berries. Possibly, to supplement nutrition, they must be feeding the bears. Since there are no huge trees, chances of bears getting honey - which is their favourite - is limited. Thus the forest guys provide them a supplement of Honey/Jaggery/Rice etc
Old 18th June 2012, 14:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

During one of my random trips, I have driven past Sandur many years ago and the roads were terrible from Tornagallu to Kudligi. Looks like nothing has changed! Except that now your TL shows that I missed something!

Pity you could not go to the Kumaraswamy temple - I believe it is up one of the mountains?

Is there a petrol pump in Sandur - and what about other facilities?
Old 18th June 2012, 15:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
During one of my random trips, I have driven past Sandur many years ago and the roads were terrible from Tornagallu to Kudligi. Looks like nothing has changed! Except that now your TL shows that I missed something!

Pity you could not go to the Kumaraswamy temple - I believe it is up one of the mountains?

Is there a petrol pump in Sandur - and what about other facilities?
Thanks HVK. Yes, we missed Kumaraswamy temple. The road condition from Tornagallu to Taranagar - Thanks to Jindals - is excellent. From Taranagar to Donimalai junction is bad. From Donimalai to Sandur is OK. Sandur to Yashwantnagar is manageable. Yashwantnagar to Kudligi is good.

Sandur is a small town which has hardly seen any development. There is only one cinema theatre in the town!!

Yes, there are petrol bunks in town. Naturally when there are so many trucks around!!
Old 18th June 2012, 15:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Must say Fauji sir, everytime you travel, you bring out a hidden gem out to our sight and this time it is the Sandur's palace for sure and sure the train looks so puny like a top amids the natural landscape

Also not to miss some great pics of Hampi. Though have visited this place extensively capturing the beautiful rock ruins itself is a great sight! Great tribute to the glorious past for sure!
Old 18th June 2012, 15:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread Poorna Sir. Sandur was actually figuring in our group ride sometime during July and this will be very helpful for us to help find our way.
What are the other activities that one can do in Sandur for a weekend if you are not keen on covering Hampi Temples?
Thank you very much for sharing the details.
Old 18th June 2012, 16:02   #22
BHPian

A weekend well spent Capt. Brings back memories of the drive to Hampi we did together and met the versatile Hariharan

The Sandur palace looks pretty beautiful. Nice pics of the Sandur valley too.
Old 18th June 2012, 16:43   #23
BHPian

Dear Poorna, As usual, excellent narration and pictures. I have been to Hampi around 12 years back. I was waiting for my kids to grow up, so that they can understand and enjoy the great visit. After reading your travelogue, I am tempted to make that much awaited trip.
Old 18th June 2012, 18:11   #24
BHPian

Absolutely fantastic sir ! Probably those areas have never looked so good before ! Your pictures are great !

I was really relieved to see that Nari Halla still continues to exist amidst the juggernaut of mining that has been happening out there since the past decade ! The last time I saw it was in 1994 and feared that it would have been anhilated now. Those were the days when the road from Hiriyur was a ride to hell.

Are there any other good budget hotels in Sandur apart from the palace ?
Old 18th June 2012, 20:14   #25
BHPian

Thanks for the Travelogue. The pics of Sandur really excellent. I did my studies in one of the institutions there in Late 90s when Mining was not that much and your pics just reminded me of the days how Good Sandur used to be. Again September is said to be the right time to visit Sandur when you can see it in full glory with rains poring in. Also there is a forest guest house near the Lakshmi Narasimha temple nice place to stay. In those days we could spot cheethas as well if we were lucky enough
Old 18th June 2012, 20:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Super pictures Fauji sir!!! Sandur region looks lovely and Hampi is as charming as it has ever been. Good to know that mining has been stopped.

Its been quite a few years since I have been to that region and I should probably make a trip this September.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:03   #27
BHPian

Fauji sir, amazing travelogue! I have been born and brought up in gangavati which is around 50 KM from bellary and only 15 kms to hampi via anegundi and virupapura gaddi.

These place which you have covered were where my childhood days were spent, especially in hampi! i used to visit hampi atleast 3-4 times a year as virupaksha swami is our mane devru. Every year they celebrate phalpuje where they light a lakh of lamps in the evening and the entire temple complex looks amazing!

In the summers i had attended few camps as a child and learnt sanskrit and veda's amid those lovely hills! The sunset from the hemakuta hills is just amazing! I have covered all those place which you covered and it was a deja vu! i really miss those places and days!

Thank you for rekindling my childhood memories!
Old 19th June 2012, 15:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Must say Fauji sir, everytime you travel, you bring out a hidden gem out to our sight and this time it is the Sandur's palace for sure and sure the train looks so puny like a top amids the natural landscape

Also not to miss some great pics of Hampi. Though have visited this place extensively capturing the beautiful rock ruins itself is a great sight! Great tribute to the glorious past for sure!
Thanks Girish. You are right, the train looks really puny and that rail track must be one of the beautiful one. Dont mind travelling with the driver to enjoy the trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Excellent thread Poorna Sir. Sandur was actually figuring in our group ride sometime during July and this will be very helpful for us to help find our way.
What are the other activities that one can do in Sandur for a weekend if you are not keen on covering Hampi Temples?
Thank you very much for sharing the details.
Thanks Mahesh. There must be some trekking or biking trails which i am not sure. I dont see any local groups who are interested in that. But for Hampi, there is nothing much to do as of now except for boating in Nari Halla whenever it opens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDestiny View Post
A weekend well spent Capt. Brings back memories of the drive to Hampi we did together and met the versatile Hariharan

The Sandur palace looks pretty beautiful. Nice pics of the Sandur valley too.
Thanks Sandeep. What a trip it was as we suddenely decided and left for Hampi and what a show that was when the maestro was at his best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Dear Poorna, As usual, excellent narration and pictures. I have been to Hampi around 12 years back. I was waiting for my kids to grow up, so that they can understand and enjoy the great visit. After reading your travelogue, I am tempted to make that much awaited trip.
Thanks Mahesh. Should plan a trip after the rains when Hampi and Sanur will be at their best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunandanj View Post
Absolutely fantastic sir ! Probably those areas have never looked so good before ! Your pictures are great !

I was really relieved to see that Nari Halla still continues to exist amidst the juggernaut of mining that has been happening out there since the past decade ! The last time I saw it was in 1994 and feared that it would have been anhilated now. Those were the days when the road from Hiriyur was a ride to hell.

Are there any other good budget hotels in Sandur apart from the palace ?
Thanks Raghu. Even we were apprehansive about Nari Halla and were relieved to see that it is not spoilt. Unfortunately there are no budget hotels in Sandur and i saw only one lodge but that is very basic. The altrenative is Forest guest houses or to do a day trip to Sandur basing oneself in Hampi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Thanks for the Travelogue. The pics of Sandur really excellent. I did my studies in one of the institutions there in Late 90s when Mining was not that much and your pics just reminded me of the days how Good Sandur used to be. Again September is said to be the right time to visit Sandur when you can see it in full glory with rains poring in. Also there is a forest guest house near the Lakshmi Narasimha temple nice place to stay. In those days we could spot cheethas as well if we were lucky enough
Thanks Vinu. Glad that i kindled your childhood memories!! You have to grant it to British to choose locations for Forest guest houses which are generally the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Super pictures Fauji sir!!! Sandur region looks lovely and Hampi is as charming as it has ever been. Good to know that mining has been stopped.

Its been quite a few years since I have been to that region and I should probably make a trip this September.
Thanks Addy. You should. Being a avid trekker check out if there are any trekking trails and that should be fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Fauji sir, amazing travelogue! I have been born and brought up in gangavati which is around 50 KM from bellary and only 15 kms to hampi via anegundi and virupapura gaddi.

These place which you have covered were where my childhood days were spent, especially in hampi! i used to visit hampi atleast 3-4 times a year as virupaksha swami is our mane devru. Every year they celebrate phalpuje where they light a lakh of lamps in the evening and the entire temple complex looks amazing!

In the summers i had attended few camps as a child and learnt sanskrit and veda's amid those lovely hills! The sunset from the hemakuta hills is just amazing! I have covered all those place which you covered and it was a deja vu! i really miss those places and days!

Thank you for rekindling my childhood memories!
Thanks so much. You bet. Even after going to Hampi many times, it is awe inspiring. Your perspective of the place changes everytie you visit that place.
Old 21st June 2012, 13:31   #29
BHPian

Fauji,
This is a gem of a travelogue.
Sandur's pictures are too good and it definitely brings back memories of manasa sarovara movie by great puttanna.
Thank you for sharing this!
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:45   #30
BHPian

Absolutely breath taking views and beautiful landscapes! And beautifully captured in words and pictures as well! Amazing travelouge Fauji sir!

Its amazing such diverse and stunning landscapes are there in India. Hope one lifetime is enough to see all these!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks