Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2013, 22:55   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No, I am talking about the road that dijeesh took from Manjoor to Mannarkad via Agali & Mukkali, that has lots of wildlife.
OK. Since you mentioned about the dam, I thought you referred to the SH. Hence was surprised! Also where are the check posts? At Mulli ?
And where on the other side? Attapadi or Anaikatti?
Old 29th April 2013, 12:19   #17
BHPian

Where are the snaps dijeesh ? We lived in Kundah when I was in school - commuting to Ootacamund (ooty). The Manjur - Geddai road with its 4 dozen hair-pin bends would make many people throw up. I always wanted to go back - but I heard that this road is so narrow it would not be possible for bigger vehicles to negotiate the curves. Normal buses - I was told , could not ply in this route. What is the situation now ?
Old 29th April 2013, 16:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Great to see this. My other question still remains un-answered though.

How is it from Mulli to connect to the Attapadi road. Because if on Attapadi road, one has to drive all the way to Kovai (CBE) to take the Nh209. If its possible to avoid, then great.
Hi,
Once you take right at the check post,you have to proceed further in Ummathampady-Mulli road via Elachivazhy.No confusion as there is only one road.This will reach a dead end .Take the left route to Kottathara which will join at Kottathara.No need to go via anakkatti.From Mulli you could reach Kottathara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Dijeesh,

Thanks for the update

I have been itching to take this route since long but due to XYZ reasons it is getting delayed.

I have some plans and expect to take this route within a month's time

Btw, With an early morning start can we do Bangalore - Agali - Mannarkkad -Bangalore in a day?
Yes,we started very early infact at 2.30 am.Be at Bandipur when it reopens at 6 am.You could have a safari like ride also as a bonus.If you want to reach Ooty early,you could take the Masinagudi route to save time and kms.
I reached at 8 at my house at Thachampara,Mannarkkad.But this is after spending time at Kottathara,Pykara boating and other site seeing.
A very nice route you must take.I am planning one more trip in this route

Quote:
Originally Posted by maju View Post
very nice trlogue dijeesh. waiting for some photos. long time i was waiting for this route, but i didnt have any idea from where to start. your travelogue tempted me to do it soon.one more thing, is it safe to travel this route with family?
Hi,
This is indeed a very good route,we could see the unseen faces of Ooty.The drive through Lovedale to Manjur also was so refreshing.And don't forget to have a lime tea enroute while you take this route.All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
+1. Where are the pictures. The 43 hairpins are an absolute delight.
Hi,
Took pictures in Raw format and in big size,Would upload after resizing.Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The Manjoor-Karamadai/Anakkati/Mannarkad road is an old one.

dijeesh, do they grant permits to visit Siruvani Dam nowadays & do they permit you drive from Mannarkad to Coimbatore via Siruvani?
Did you encounter wild life?
Where were the check posts - and did you notice timing restrictions (I don't think they allow anyone on this road after 6 pm)?
Hi,
Coimbatore to Siruvani they wont allow private vehicles.I went the check post from Kerala side.They would allow only on their 8 seater van(Rs 1000 for 3 hours with driver cum guide).They would take till the border where there is a watch tower.You don't need to take any permissions to visit Siruvani.But driving from Coimbatore - siruvani they wont allow.

Quote:
OK. Since you mentioned about the dam, I thought you referred to the SH. Hence was surprised! Also where are the check posts? At Mulli ?
And where on the other side? Attapadi or Anaikatti?
We saw signs that we missed elephants all the way .And different varieties of birds.The only check post in this route is at Mulli where the road splits to Karamadai and to Kottathara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Where are the snaps dijeesh ? We lived in Kundah when I was in school - commuting to Ootacamund (ooty). The Manjur - Geddai road with its 4 dozen hair-pin bends would make many people throw up. I always wanted to go back - but I heard that this road is so narrow it would not be possible for bigger vehicles to negotiate the curves. Normal buses - I was told , could not ply in this route. What is the situation now ?
Hi,
The roads are good and new now.We didn't find any difficulty in driving through this route.Would upload the pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maju View Post
very nice trlogue dijeesh. waiting for some photos. long time i was waiting for this route, but i didnt have any idea from where to start. your travelogue tempted me to do it soon.one more thing, is it safe to travel this route with family?
hi,
We didn't face any problem and it is safe to travel with family.
Do this route and you will enjoy.
Thanks,
Dijeesh.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Plz use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one quoted post at a time. Thanks.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th April 2013 at 17:23. Reason: Merging posts. See note in post.
dijeesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 17:25   #19

Sorry .could not upload photos as the photos are heavy in size.
pls go through the pics posted in fb

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=5d66eb2441

would upload after resizing the photos soon.

thanks,
Old 29th April 2013, 17:28   #20
BHPian

Hi Dijeesh,

Very nice travelogue you got here. The route information provided here will come in handy to everyone who want to try out a new route. I wanted to know how was the climate at this time. And eagerly awaiting the first batch of pics.
Old 29th April 2013, 17:49   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijeesh View Post
Hi,
Coimbatore to Siruvani they wont allow private vehicles.I went the check post from Kerala side.They would allow only on their 8 seater van(Rs 1000 for 3 hours with driver cum guide).They would take till the border where there is a watch tower.You don't need to take any permissions to visit Siruvani.But driving from Coimbatore - siruvani they wont allow.
This is really bad! Looks like its almost a repeat of Munnar-Kodai! I already was getting thought to figure out how to try this road!

So dam is not a tourist location? Even with permits they are not allowed?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 18:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is really bad! Looks like its almost a repeat of Munnar-Kodai! I already was getting thought to figure out how to try this road!

So dam is not a tourist location? Even with permits they are not allowed?
Access to Siruvani Dam area has been restricted from TN side for decades. That is because it is the main source of drinking water supply to Coimbatore city (although it is located in KL), and it is quite common practice to disallow visitors to such places for fear of contamination, etc. Moreover, all the "water"-spots around Coimbatore - like Kovai Kuttalam, Monkey Falls, etc - are frequented by drunken revellers over the weekends, and perhaps the authorities were wise enough to exclude the all-important Siruvani (which is a lush jungle area) from their reach!

Permits are rarely given to tourists. Therefore, through drive from Mannarkkad to Coimbatore via Siruvani is not possible.
hvkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 16:16   #23

Photos from the trip....
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2105-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2109-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2119-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2223-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2228-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2340-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2341-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2350-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2352-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2356-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2357-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2369-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2370-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2377-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2379-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2381-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2384-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2406-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2581-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2618-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2618-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2660-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2712-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2723-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2725-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2733-large.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_2736-large.jpg  

dijeesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 11:20   #24
BHPian

This may 4th i visited ooty just because i saw the post by dijesh who took the manjoor,mulli-manarkkad stretch which was unknown to many.The road had 43 bends and was quiet and lonely.Was a welcome change rather than the busy cbe-mettupalayam road.Didnt see any wildlife though there were traces of elephant dung all the way.would advise all bhpians from kerala to travel to ooty taking this road either from manarkkad or from ooty to manarkkad.
Old 17th May 2013, 10:14   #25
BHPian

Great travelogue. In fact, this reminded me of my trip through some of these places a couple of years ago and brought back the memories of the good time I had while living in Coimbatore.

Drive Safe !

P.S. : Just a link of my trip http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...into-wild.html
Old 17th May 2013, 18:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
This may 4th i visited ooty just because i saw the post by dijesh who took the manjoor,mulli-manarkkad stretch which was unknown to many.The road had 43 bends and was quiet and lonely.Was a welcome change rather than the busy cbe-mettupalayam road.Didnt see any wildlife though there were traces of elephant dung all the way.would advise all bhpians from kerala to travel to ooty taking this road either from manarkkad or from ooty to manarkkad.
Should be a welcome change too, to do Ooty -Cbe via Manjur and Karamadai rather than the busy Ooty-mettupalayam. Saw the post by dijesh only today and perused the thread. Did Ooty-Cbe last weekend. Had I discovered this post earlier, would certainly have taken this route .
There's always a next time
Old 17th May 2013, 22:22   #27
BHPian

Some picture of the narrow roads and sharp curves on the way.there are 43 of these all through the entire stretch.could not capture more as frankly i was little hesitant to venture out ,but can assure you that there is nothing to be anxious on this route.
Old 17th May 2013, 22:53   #28
BHPian

sorry for the mistake could not upload it ,being new here had to resize the pics
Old 18th May 2013, 08:54   #29
BHPian

here are the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_1528.jpg  

Bangalore - Ooty - Manjur - Mulli - Mannarkkad Trip-img_1531.jpg  

Old 19th May 2013, 17:59   #30
BHPian

Quote:
... Instead of Ooty take Kanakpura road till Annur and go via Karamadai-Mulli.
But on the whole a great find.
"Sealed, signed and delivered" ! Why don't you join the upcoming Bangalore overnighter fixed for 6/7 July '13 ? Refer relevant thread for details.
A curvy 27-43-36
Agree, a great find it is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks