Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:56   #16
BHPian

re: Hyderabad-Kaza-Hyderabad in a Ssangyong Rexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
This is good news after reading about all the niggles and issues plaguing the XUV. If this reliability sustains and the service quality improves, then this vehicle will definitely go a long way. Might well eat into the markets of XUV and Fortuner.
I guess Rexton would be a pretty reliable vechicle. About the service support for rexton, my experience has been very good till now, specially at hyderabad, concept delhi and mahindra chandhigarh where i was treated and received very well. Even though i just wanted to have a running checkup of the vechicle everything was attended with upmost piority.
ashroy_6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 19:27   #17
Team-BHP Support

Excellent set of pictures there...! Thanks for sharing

One small suggestion though (after seeing the 5th picture in post #7). It will be good to invest in a proper child seat and a booster seat for your 9 month old and 5 year old daughter. You indeed have the luxury of keep 2 child seats in the 7-seater Rexton
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 19:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, I did not know RX5 comes with genuine low ratio gearbox. How about some pictures depicting the 4x4 controls? So this vehicle is equiped with a lockable center diff? Is the rear diff also lockable?

Congrats on a very good choice.
Hope it serves you for years to come...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 23rd May 2013 at 19:45.
Old 23rd May 2013, 20:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad-Kaza-Hyderabad in a Ssangyong Rexton

Ashroy,

Your travelogue with awesome pictures is much appreciated.

Thanks also for your brief write up on the Rexton.

What were the top 2 or 3 things that you did not like from the car's perspective on this long trip?

Any alignment upsets for the car?

You can now give us the ownership part of the Rexton in details with pictures.

Happy Motoring!
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:26   #20
BHPian

Congratulations!
wonderful SUV and a worthy travelogue.
How did the kids adapt to the altitude and the weather?
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:37   #21
BHPian

Congratulations ashroy on succesfully completing this arduous journey to such a remote place in far off himachal.Never heard of kaza though was in manali last month.Kudos to all women folk who bravely accompanied you on this trip.Who said women makes bad travellers?
Old 24th May 2013, 10:20   #22
BHPian

Your pictures are beautiful and breathtaking and awe-inspiring.
I am a travel lover as well and long drives are my favorite. When I read "6000 kms" in your write-up I had goosebumps on my body.

I admire your courage to undertake such an arduous journey onto rarely traversed routes with a relatively untested vehicle (on Indian roads), with your entire family, no less!

I'm glad that the Rexton stood up to the task and I'll be looking at it with new respect whenever I see one on the roads. Also I had never considered it a good looking vehicle, but in your pics I find it quite handsome and muscular!
Old 24th May 2013, 15:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Excellent set of pictures there...! Thanks for sharing

One small suggestion though (after seeing the 5th picture in post #7). It will be good to invest in a proper child seat and a booster seat for your 9 month old and 5 year old daughter. You indeed have the luxury of keep 2 child seats in the 7-seater Rexton
Well actually all the kids during journey were at the back seats. In this particular photo my wife had come to the front seat just to sit as we were having refreshments. Regarding child seat that definately is in the list of things to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow, I did not know RX5 comes with genuine low ratio gearbox. How about some pictures depicting the 4x4 controls? So this vehicle is equiped with a lockable center diff? Is the rear diff also lockable?

Hope it serves you for years to come...
Yes rexton manual comes with low ratio gearbox but it does'nt have differential locks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Ashroy,

Your travelogue with awesome pictures is much appreciated.

Thanks also for your brief write up on the Rexton.

What were the top 2 or 3 things that you did not like from the car's perspective on this long trip?

Any alignment upsets for the car?

You can now give us the ownership part of the Rexton in details with pictures.

Happy Motoring!
Well thats a difficult question as the suv is quite good. But if I really have to be critical then, i would feel underbody protection should have been there. As of now there is absolutely no underbody protection given by the company.Even the engine guard is made of plastic.

Secondly, since the springs are so soft, when fully loaded the body tents to come down. So in speed if you hit a speedbreaker you can hear a loud thud of the suspension hitting the bump stop.

There was no alignment upset during the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Congratulations!
wonderful SUV and a worthy travelogue.
How did the kids adapt to the altitude and the weather?
Well we had carried enough warm clothes with us. My main worry was AMS (MOUNTAIN SICKNESS). This i countered by gradually going to kaza in a phased manner. Example I stayed in shimla for 1 day then at Kalpa for 2 full days. Since everyone was coping well then i headed for Kaza which is at 3800 mtrs or about 11500 ft. Comic and Kibber which is at 14000-14500ft, we did'nt stay there for more than 2 hours.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th May 2013 at 14:26. Reason: Removed fomatting in bold from post. Please go through the Multi Quote posting guidelines in Announcements section. Thanks.
Old 24th May 2013, 15:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Your pictures are beautiful and breathtaking and awe-inspiring.
I am a travel lover as well and long drives are my favorite. When I read "6000 kms" in your write-up I had goosebumps on my body.

I admire your courage to undertake such an arduous journey onto rarely traversed routes with a relatively untested vehicle (on Indian roads), with your entire family, no less!

I'm glad that the Rexton stood up to the task and I'll be looking at it with new respect whenever I see one on the roads. Also I had never considered it a good looking vehicle, but in your pics I find it quite handsome and muscular!
Well Thanks for the appreciation.
Rexton definitely is a very understated elegant vehicle. The only thing i wish mahindra could have done is to give wider all terrain tyres with body
lift of atleast 2 inches. These 2 changes alone can change the way it looks in a good way. Btw Rexton is longer and wider than toyota fortuner.
Old 24th May 2013, 16:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
Well actually all the kids during journey were at the back seats. In this particular photo my wife had come to the front seat just to sit as we were having refreshments. Regarding child seat that definately is in the list of things to buy.
Hi ashroy, this brings to my mind an important question which I wanted to ask for sometime. How comfortable is the last row seats? In your first post you had mentioned that the rear bench is for only kids and 5 footers. But when I personally checked out the Rexton, I felt that the rear bench is not for anyone and is useless since it is placed very low and lack of underthigh support. Since the kids spent nearly 6K kms there, did they complain of any sort of discomfort?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th May 2013 at 14:23. Reason: Removing bold tags from quoted post.
Old 24th May 2013, 17:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Hi ashroy, this brings to my mind an important question which I wanted to ask for sometime. How comfortable is the last row seats? In your first post you had mentioned that the rear bench is for only kids and 5 footers. But when I personally checked out the Rexton, I felt that the rear bench is not for anyone and is useless since it is placed very low and lack of underthigh support. Since the kids spent nearly 6K kms there, did they complain of any sort of discomfort?
Well for kids its fine. What we did was for majority of the journey the last row was folded down and a proper bed was made for kids to sleep (We had stuffed the gap between the 2nd and the 3rd row for more space). Luckily in rexton once you do this it becomes like a double bed. Very comfortable for kids in long journeys. Even my mother used to go back and sleep. Another option which we tried was if you fold/lower the middle row single seat down (only once...not twice) then a full grown adult can stretch and sleep.

But many times kids used to come in the second row to sit.

Never had any kid complaining.
Old 24th May 2013, 19:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thats a difficult question as the suv is quite good. But if I really have to be critical then, i would feel underbody protection should have been there. As of now there is absolutely no underbody protection given by the company.Even the engine guard is made of plastic.
Ashroy,

Thanks for your response. Good to note that the SUV is keeping to its reputation and therefore keeping you happy!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th May 2013 at 14:23. Reason: Removed bold from quoted post.
Old 24th May 2013, 19:55   #28
BHPian

For people asking about Rexton's 4 wheel drive system.
TOD.pdf
Yes the central differential can be locked...

Last edited by ashroy_6 : 24th May 2013 at 19:58.
ashroy_6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 10:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
For people asking about Rexton's 4 wheel drive system.
Attachment 1087371
Yes the central differential can be locked...
Lovely start to a travelogue ashroy. I had some questions about the vehicle but you seem to have already answered all of them.
Good to hear that the vehicle handled phenomenally well during the entire trip.

Very eagerly waiting for the rest of the travelogue to unfold. Fantastic narrations and and lovely pictures to go alongwith.

BTW what dates/ month did you travel on this trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
awesome, wonderful pics

did you got any opportunity to engage 4L?

How was the pickup on steep inclines? Did you faced any challenge on the narrow passages?

Sorry for too many questions
Rajiv, Looks like a good contender for your upgrade.
In you budget as well.
I guess that you'd be glued to this travelogue till the end.
Old 25th May 2013, 12:13   #30
BHPian

What a wonderful write-up and pictures. I must say both the place and the car look amazing
AM sure the rexton must have got a lot of glances and attention at all the places especially considering the rarity of the vehicle on the roads in most of the places.
Took delivery of the Rx7 just yesterday and driven it for around a 100kms now and am loving the ride, power and extremely quiet cabin when not accelerating.
Am sure happy to know that no rattles cropped up even after such a long trip through the various road conditions.
How did the tyres perform they do seem a little narrow though i feel they're adequate for most conditions.
What service intervals are you following did the car require any top-ups you did mention your run in at mahidra dealerships enroute.
I'v been told by the ASS here to get the car for first service at 5000 kms then 10000 and then at an interval of 10000 though the manual shows the first service at 10000kms.
But all in all it does seem that you had a great trip
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks