Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:54   #136
BHPian

Re: Central Asian Diaries - Kazakhstan & Kyrgyzstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Can you kindly provide the cost break up of the trip? Also wish you all the very best for your road trip to Nepal over the new year.
Thanks,
I'd given some idea on the cost breakup of this trip on the first page of the log itself. you can have a look at this here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3193408
Old 4th December 2013, 14:03   #137
BHPian

Harsh,

Awesome travelogue. Much has been written about the 'awesomeness' already, so I won't blabber more. Personally speaking, this is one of the few travelogues that i've read from page-to-page and thoroughly enjoyed doing so.

Pardon my ignorance but, you were to narrate some not-so-pleasant incident about referencing the movie 'Borat' in Kazakhstan. Can you please elaborate on the same or guide me to the post where you have?
SankalpDesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 11:52   #138
BHPian

Harsh

I am a newbie and this is one of the reasons I applied to join the team. To be a part of a community who have people like yourself who are adventurous and more importantly who share such experiences.
Thank you for a fantastic travelogue, with amazing vistas of two beautiful countries. Makes one realised how small and insignificant we humans in relation to the earth.
I have travelled extensively across three continents, but have almost never venture off the beaten trail and never done something like this.
This is an inspiration for me.
Btw, what contingency did you have in place for unforseen problems like vehicle breakdown, medical issues and such likes?
Thanks once again.
Cheers

VK
Old 16th December 2013, 12:18   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Harsh,

Awesome travelogue. Much has been written about the 'awesomeness' already, so I won't blabber more. Personally speaking, this is one of the few travelogues that i've read from page-to-page and thoroughly enjoyed doing so.

Pardon my ignorance but, you were to narrate some not-so-pleasant incident about referencing the movie 'Borat' in Kazakhstan. Can you please elaborate on the same or guide me to the post where you have?
Thanks Sankalp and sorry for the delayed response. I forgot to write that incident in detail. This was the day when we stayed at Madina's camp near Almaty after visiting the Big Almaty lake.

While interacting with 3 locals who were there at the camp we soon ran out of conversation pieces. And taht was primarily because of the lingual challenge - they did not speak English and i hardly knew Kazakh or Russian. It was at that time I blurted out the name "Borat". The reaction that I got from oen gentleman in the group was of pure venom. The guy got visibly angry and told me the day Sarah Cohen (or wahtever his name is) ever visit Almaty he will be killed, hung from a pole with his dead body peed upon by the larger public. His expression was not of jest but very somber.

His wife then tried to defuse the tension by laughing about it a bit and mentioned to me that there are two kind of people in Kazakhstan. One who would react very strongly upon the mention of Borat - majority would be like this. The others who can "laugh" about it, but it is never wise to mention the name of Borat in any pleasant conversation in Kazakhstan at large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Harsh

I am a newbie and this is one of the reasons I applied to join the team. To be a part of a community who have people like yourself who are adventurous and more importantly who share such experiences.
Thank you for a fantastic travelogue, with amazing vistas of two beautiful countries. Makes one realised how small and insignificant we humans in relation to the earth.
I have travelled extensively across three continents, but have almost never venture off the beaten trail and never done something like this.
This is an inspiration for me.
Btw, what contingency did you have in place for unforseen problems like vehicle breakdown, medical issues and such likes?
Thanks once again.
Cheers

VK
Thanks VK. The planning for contingencies was actually quite simple. Ensure that we have a rucksack which can carry our tent, sleeping mats and a mattress. + food & fuel in stove to last us 3 full days. So in case we faced a vehicle breakdown the option would be to camp the night and then start walking back to civilization. With enough food and water to support us during the walk. After the trip we realized that there was no place there which was more than a days' walk away from a village or a "kasba"

For medicines, we always carry a basic survivor kit with us - at all times and on all our trips. This includes your typical cut & bruise first aid, headaches, fever, stomach upset, pain killers.
vardhan.harsh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks