Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2013, 16:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Central Asian Diaries - Kazakhstan & Kyrgyzstan

This is epic man. I have read just your first post and my jaw dropped 3 floors down. This is going to be one epic journey.

The countries which I feel are least considered by people for roaming, there you have done something which no one can even dream about. I wonder if you 2 are the first from India to do so?

Thread deserves full 5 stars.

Last edited by Dodge_Viper : 30th July 2013 at 16:52.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 16:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Voted a well desrved 5 Stars.

Thank you for opening up places many have not even heard of. I am sure your thread will help future travellers (of which, I may be one, if everything goes as planned).

I am glued to this thread for the rest of the adventures. Will reserve further comments till the end of the travelogue.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 18:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Welcome back Harsh, great to see something from central Asia, otherwise you only get to see Mongolia more often. I guess the airplane route is dictated by the fact that the straight route that you chalked would have been through Chinese air space.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 19:02   #19
BHPian

Excellent pictures and fantastic write up Harsh. I'm sure your TL is going to inspire many and be a great source of information.

Rating a well deserved 5*
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 19:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Amazing write up with very good pics to boot!

Admire your attention to detail in logging everything including the arrangements from India till the amount you spent on the small little things during your trip.

Waiting for the remaining part to unfold soon!
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 19:33   #21
BHPian

What an intro to a travelogue! Epic !!

Hats off to you both to have visited countries less frequented by people on their maiden international trips.
Never knew Kazakhstan was so beautiful. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.
Rated it 5 *
a*ed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 20:22   #22
BHPian

Totally too good!!! Love the narration, the pictures and ofcourse the very dramatic Start!

I am also very much intrigued by and interested in Central Asia - I personally believe that the architecture in Central Asia beats that of Europe (this includes Istanbul in Central Asia BTW) and God willing I would like to do a BIG trip to Central Asia someday.

This is one TL that interests me like some TL on wildlife

Let the pics flow and narration continue.

Voting 5*
sach.sri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 20:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Loving this.
Another culture, Another place.
Glued to this log.

Thanks a lot for sharing
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 21:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
The countries which I feel are least considered by people for roaming, there you have done something which no one can even dream about. I wonder if you 2 are the first from India to do so?
A lot of Indians visit Kazakhstan, specially those working in the oil & gas sector. In fact our flight was full with, what seemed as ONGC officials. Yes, not a lot of Indians go to Kyrgyzstan, however, we heard of two guys who were staying at the same guest house as we did. they later explored entire kyrgyz and then rode off to London on their bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Welcome back Harsh, great to see something from central Asia, otherwise you only get to see Mongolia more often. I guess the airplane route is dictated by the fact that the straight route that you chalked would have been through Chinese air space.
Mongolia is another place high on my agenda! Would love to go there one day.
I think you might be correct on the Chinese air space. Another reason might be the fact that the flight would have to cross the LoC which is not an internationally recognized border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Admire your attention to detail in logging everything including the arrangements from India till the amount you spent on the small little things during your trip.
The 'baniya' blood helps me to keep track of expenses, however minute they might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
I am also very much intrigued by and interested in Central Asia - I personally believe that the architecture in Central Asia beats that of Europe (this includes Istanbul in Central Asia BTW) and God willing I would like to do a BIG trip to Central Asia someday.
I am not sure about architecture in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. The only unique piece of architecture we visited were more along the lines of Russian era cathedrals!
vardhan.harsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 21:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

bhai,

Did you select it for the culture or simply for the off-beat ness? Being like ladakh but yet completely different?

Honestly, this money could've gotten you a top notch trip in tanzania/kenya to watch wildlife (or south africa etc). Curious why the choice was europe vs this - europe could've been WAY cheaper btw - its not THAT bad in season man, IMHO. Curious primarily since the final cost is fairly high - and I notice that you guys have not splurged anywhere on the stays.

Now bring on the posts!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 22:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
bhai,

Did you select it for the culture or simply for the off-beat ness? Being like ladakh but yet completely different?

Honestly, this money could've gotten you a top notch trip in tanzania/kenya to watch wildlife (or south africa etc). Curious why the choice was europe vs this - europe could've been WAY cheaper btw - its not THAT bad in season man, IMHO. Curious primarily since the final cost is fairly high - and I notice that you guys have not splurged anywhere on the stays.

Now bring on the posts!
Aarti always wanted to do Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyz really excited me when I started reading about it. No roads, only off-roads, low on population, much like Ladakh but quite different.

Next on the agenda is Mongolia! Again much like Ladakh but quite different.

I'll share more details on how to cut more corners, now that I know better. I think the costs for two for a 17 day trip can be pulled down to about 2.3 Lakhs!
Old 30th July 2013, 22:45   #27
akp
BHPian

Your travelogues are always a joy to read. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
I'll share more details on how to cut more corners
Hope you don't cut corners as far as this t'logue is concerned.
akp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 08:13   #28
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa a roadtrip in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan !! I have always admired your way of writing and photography in your Ladakh and Spiti travelogues and this Central Asia travelogue has already started with a bang.

I am hooked on to this travelogue now. Rated it a very well-deserving 5-stars. Simply amazing.
//M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 08:32   #29
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the sharing the experience.

This region has been in our wishlist for a while now. We’ve a couple of friends here from Uzbekistan, and we get to hear a lot about their culture through them. Even though a part of Asia, they are more European in their customs and behavior.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 09:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Its been a while since I had got to use my Russian preliminary skills. I was trying to decipher the boards written in some of your photos. Took me back to my high school days where I taught my principal my preliminary knowledge in Russian in return for some Latin prelims from him. I acquired the Russian knowledge from a course I did in House of Soviet Culture.

It was some priceless moments trying to read the boards and get back some 25+ years in life Thanks man.

спасибо
лалукс

Last edited by laluks : 31st July 2013 at 09:58.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks