Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2014, 11:15   #46
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Bhutan (via Gangtok & Kolkata)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Any luck with this request?
Dear Arjithin,

Sorry about the delay in putting up this data but calculated on the a mix of hill drving and plain roads clocked an average of 15.4 (approx). No AC used till about 1000 hrs, on all days, or where ever encountered dusty roads-specially between Dumka onto Bhagalpur till we crossed the Setu and same on the return. No AC on the entire Bhutan portion and Sikkim less the initial 15-17 kms of bad roads on the way up to Gangtok and on the way down-same stretch!.

Apologies once again.

Regards

Jude
Judemayne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 19:04   #47
BHPian

Still considering road trip to Bhutan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Lovely travelogue.
You drove from Bangalore to Bhutan, wow.
I would like t do that as well. Can you share the details around the permits and procedure to take own car to Bhutan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry macG View Post
Absolutely inspiring and spirited to say the least. And not to mention well written too. I have to say that it can't get more memorable on the momentous occasion sir. I would love to do something similar next year for my fortieth b'day. I have to thank you sir for starting a spark.
Hi,

We are planning a road trip to Bhutan from Bangalore next April.
Am collecting people who might be interested.
Let me know if you are interested still.

regards,
Ramagiri
Old 5th February 2016, 14:23   #48
BHPian

Bangalore to Bhutan, One bike 2 people (Wife & me) - Need help with route

Hello dear BHPians,

After taking all the help from you folks in the form of information, updates and route details, we successfully completed our ride to Leh in 2012 (needless to say we fell in love with the Himalayas and went back again in 2014 ). A big thank you to the fraternity out there from my wife and me.

We're planning for another escapade! This time, we wish to ride from BANGALORE - BHUTAN on our motorcycle, a Royal Enfield Classic 500, in good condition, evolved to accommodate our personal touring needs - has taken us across 14 states of this beautiful country so far and hungry for more.

So here's the basic itinerary: RIDE DATES – March 4, 2016 to March 20, 2016

Please note, this is a very theoretical plan, I need your inputs to check if this is doable.

Some information to help estimation – my cruising speed on 4 lanes is between 100-110 kmph, we can manage a 150 KM stretch before every break in the first half of the day, 80-100 KM stretches per break in the second half.

Day 1: Bangalore > Vijaywada (via Kurnool) approx. 700KM
Notes – Since its Day 1 and with an early start we hope to reach Vishakapatnam, but will not push it beyond 6.30 p.m.

Day 2: Vijaywada > Konark (Via Lake Chilka) – approx. 800 k.m.

Day 3: Visit the Sun temple, start the ride before lunch and reach Kharagpur / Kolkata? Approx. 400 KM

HELP NEEDED HERE: We’re not sure if we should go to Kolkata and then head to Siliguri, or if there is a route where we can (should we?) avoid Kolkata. So your suggestions will help us decide.

Day 4: Kolkata/Kharagpur or around > Siliguri approx. 600 KM

Day 5: Siliguri > Gangtok 115 KM and REST.

Day 6: Gangtok > Zuluk 90 KM > Nagrakata 180 KM (Gangtok > Zuluk > Nagrakata doable in one day? – approx. 275 KM)

ROUTE HELP needed here – Our plan is to head to Bhutan from Zuluk. Google maps shows a continuation route from Zuluk > Reshi > Pedong and head towards Rishop to connect Mal Bazar > Nagrakata? OR is it better to head back to Gangtok > Kalimpong > Sevoke > Nagrakata?

Day 7: Hopefully Nagrakata > Phuentsholing and get permits done (can this be done in a day?)

Day 8: Phuentsholing > Thimphu 170 KM

Day 9: Thimphu > Paro 51 KM

Day 10: Trek to Tigers Nest

Day 11: Paro > Phuentsholing 160 KM

Day 12: Phuentsholing > Kharagpur 750 KM (too far, will have to stop way before Kharagpur)

Day 13: Kharagpur > Vishakapatnam 780 KM

Day 14: Vishakapatnam > Kurnool 680 KM

Day 15: Kurnool > Bangalore 350 KM

Day 16: rest/buffer

I know this is too much information but, I will work on compiling the route map as suggestions come in.

Thanks

Sawan & Bhagya

Last edited by sawan_dubey : 5th February 2016 at 14:30. Reason: grammar
sawan_dubey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 18:04   #49
J.Ravi

Re: Bangalore to Bhutan, One bike 2 people (Wife & me) - Need help with route

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan_dubey View Post
We're planning for another escapade! This time, we wish to ride from BANGALORE - BHUTAN on our motorcycle, a Royal Enfield Classic 500, in good condition, evolved to accommodate our personal touring needs - has taken us across 14 states of this beautiful country so far and hungry for more.
Excellent.
Quote:
We’re not sure if we should go to Kolkata and then head to Siliguri, or if there is a route where we can (should we?) avoid Kolkata.
You don't have to ride to Kolkata unless you want to visit some places there. You can take the deviation from Kharagpur and follow the route via Bankura>Ranigunj>Chittaranjan>Jamtara>Deoghar>Bank a>Bhagalpur>Vikramshila Setu>Purnea>Dalkhola>Siliguri. The shortest route from Kolkata to Siliguri via NH 34 is not in good condition, and hence, deviation is required.

I drove on this route in April 2015 to Gangtok. Here are the details:

Bangalore to Bhutan (via Gangtok & Kolkata)-bhubaneswarchennaitrip.jpg

When we drove on that stretch, the roads were good. But, I understand monsoon played havoc and spoiled some sections. For the latest, please go through this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3891156

Quote:
Our plan is to head to Bhutan from Zuluk.
You have to ride via Sevoke>Coronation Bridge>Hasimara>Jaigaon>Phuentsholing. Take permits for the rider and pillion and also vehicle permit for your Classic 500 and proceed to Thimphu. There is no permit needed to enter Phuentsholing and stay there.

In March, you will encounter snow at Zuluk and some places in Bhutan.

Bon voyage.

Old 8th February 2016, 19:21   #50
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Bhutan, One bike 2 people (Wife & me) - Need help with route

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Excellent.

I drove on this route in April 2015 to Gangtok. Here are the details:

Thanks for the information. This is helpful.

Attachment 1471125

When we drove on that stretch, the roads were good. But, I understand monsoon played havoc and spoiled some sections. For the latest, please go through this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3891156

You have to ride via Sevoke>Coronation Bridge>Hasimara>Jaigaon>Phuentsholing. Take permits for the rider and pillion and also vehicle permit for your Classic 500 and proceed to Thimphu. There is no permit needed to enter Phuentsholing and stay there.

In March, you will encounter snow at Zuluk and some places in Bhutan.

This is something I'm looking forward to

Bon voyage.
I am working on the next iteration of the plan after your feedback and after looking at the travelogue (thanks mods for merging this thread). Will come up with a better detailed plan and lets see how it goes from there.

Thanks a ton once again.
Old 8th February 2016, 23:16   #51
BHPian

Dear All -

Since there is already a query on Sikkim/Bhutan trip, thought of clubbing my query as well - am in the very initial stages of planning a road trip from Trivandrum to North East - covering Sikkim/Meghalaya and "touch"ing Bhutan. Tentative itinerary is given below - would be really helpful if you can tell me whether this itinerary is feasible and/or any other suggestions. Will be traveling with family and the plan is to start by last week of March -

Day 1: Trivandrum -> Nellore (approx. 950 KM, drive time - 15 hrs including breaks)
Day 2: Nellore -> Rambha (or any place near Lake Chilka) (approx. 900 KM, drive time - 15 hrs including breaks)
Day 3: Visit Chilka lake, Sun temple, start the drive late evening and reach Cuttack (Approx. 100 KM)
Day 4: Cuttack -> Farakha (approx. 600 KM, drive time - 15 hrs including bad roads, traffic, breaks)
Day 5: Farakkha -> Gangtok (approx. 400 KM, drive time - 10 hrs including bad roads, traffic, breaks)
Day 6 : Start from Gangtok by noon after getting permits, and proceed to North Sikkim. We are planning to take a local tour operator for the N.Sikkim trip. Is it possible to start in the afternoon after getting permits?
Day 7 and 8: N.Sikkim each Gangtok by evening/night on Day 8
Day 9 : Gangtok local sightseeing, take rest
Day 10: Gangtok -> Nathang Valley via Tsongo lake, Nathula (approx. 120 kms) - stay at Nathang Valley
Day 11 : Nathang Valley to Phuentsholing via Zuluk - stay at Phuentsholing (just want to enter Bhutan, that's it)
Day 12 : Phuentsholing -> Shillong (approx. 600 KM, drive time - 14 hrs including breaks)
Day 13, 14 and 15 : Shillong sightseeing
Day 16 : Shillong -> Siliguri
Day 17 : Siliguri -> Kolkatta
Day 18 : Kolkatta sightseeing (break/rest)
Day 19 : Kolkatta -> Vizag
Day 20 : Vizag -> Bangalore
Day 21 : Bangalore -> Trivandrum

Regards,
Vivek

Last edited by vivekkr_99 : 8th February 2016 at 23:17. Reason: Start date added
Old 28th August 2017, 21:44   #52
BANNED

I plan to drive from Kolkata - Baiguney - Gangtok - Kolkata. I plan to visit Nathula pass and Gurudongmar lake. How do I get the permit and can I go in a Corolla Altis?
Old 31st August 2017, 15:36   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_73 View Post
I plan to drive from Kolkata - Baiguney - Gangtok - Kolkata. I plan to visit Nathula pass and Gurudongmar lake. How do I get the permit and can I go in a Corolla Altis?
You can get permits from Gangtok. Nathu La should be fine for the Altis, but Gurudongmar is dicey. The road is not good and the Altis will take a beating. It is better to drive to Gangtok and hire a cab from there to Gurudongmar.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks